PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Touch Spells through Unarmed attacks (HELP!)

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 04:31 AM
Hello everyone,

Recently, I wanted to play a Monk/Cleric build which will prestige class into Sacred Fist. What I thought would be super cool is to cast touch spells and deliver it through punching (which I know I can do because of Complete Arcane's rule clear-up) For reference, I can do my flurry of blows as a standard action like in the Monk remix. Also, both me and my DM agree that this is doable in-game.

Here's my issue: I'm really in love with the idea of delivering touch spells through full attack with all my punches (I've deliberately left punching unoptimized for this reason so that it balances out). My idea was that I would catch up this lack in damage through my high spell damage (which I'm treating as a by-product of my Ki). However, I just cannot find it in the rules where I manage to do this. If you could point to where this is shown in the rules I would eternally grateful.

Alternatively, if it is not possible in the rules: how can I homebrew a possible fix to this issue? My DM suggested that it may act like a metamagic that increases the spell cost by one level which I agree is the best homebrew we've presented so far, but I would rather not have something so taxing to my character's abilities. I thought about solving that problem with Divine Metamagic (full attack with spell), but I already want to try DMM(quicken). Maybe a specific series of feats could remedy this?

Please help!

Much love,
Albanymusicfund

Rynjin
2021-05-08, 04:41 AM
Maybe houserule by trading out Flurry for an ability from Pathfinder: The Magus' Spell Combat.

At 1st level, a magus learns to cast spells and wield his weapons at the same time. This functions much like two-weapon fighting, but the off-hand weapon is a spell that is being cast. To use this ability, the magus must have one hand free (even if the spell being cast does not have somatic components), while wielding a light or one-handed melee weapon in the other hand. As a full-round action, he can make all of his attacks with his melee weapon at a –2 penalty and can also cast any spell from the magus spell list with a casting time of 1 standard action (any attack roll made as part of this spell also takes this penalty). If he casts this spell defensively, he can decide to take an additional penalty on his attack rolls, up to his Intelligence bonus, and add the same amount as a circumstance bonus on his concentration check. If the check fails, the spell is wasted, but the attacks still take the penalty. A magus can choose to cast the spell first or make the weapon attacks first, but if he has more than one attack, he cannot cast the spell between weapon attacks.

Venger
2021-05-08, 04:44 AM
Complete arcane's enlightened fist prestige class allows you to do this, and is a somewhat popular choice to enter after sacred fist.

Darg
2021-05-08, 10:37 AM
Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can continue to make touch attacks round after round. You can touch one friend as a standard action or up to six friends as a full-round action. If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates. Alternatively, you may make a normal unarmed attack (or an attack with a natural weapon) while holding a charge. In this case, you aren’t considered armed and you provoke attacks of opportunity as normal for the attack. (If your unarmed attack or natural weapon attack doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, neither does this attack.) If the attack hits, you deal normal damage for your unarmed attack or natural weapon and the spell discharges. If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge.

What you can do is use touch spells such as chill touch which have multiple charges. Cast the spell, move in close, and then use your free action to deliver the first charge. On your second turn, as you are holding the charge, you can deliver more charges as part of a full attack using your unarmed strike.

I do recommend Enlightened Fist. Arcane casting gives you access to those multi-charge touch spells.

Some multi-charge spells you can use:

Corrosive Grasp
Touch of the Graveborn
Scalding Touch
Storm Touch
Parching Touch
Belker Claws (only once per round)

Quicken spell is a useful option here. You can cast something like vampiric touch the first round and then cast quicken chill touch just before your full attack to get a free action touch. Snap Kick from ToB gives you an extra attack. Improved Trip lets you discharge twice with the same attack if you succeed in the trip attempt, once for the trip touch and once for the second attack. Circle Kick from Sword and Fist let's you hit a second target with each unarmed attack. Two Weapon fighting gives you an off hand attack. Gloves of the Balanced Hand gives you the benefit of TWF feat or the imp TWF feat if you have the first (this technically qualifies you for greater TWF as long as you wear the gloves).

Troacctid
2021-05-08, 12:39 PM
Enlightened fist grants you the ability to deliver a touch spell as part of a full attack with unarmed strikes. Easy peasy. You just need a little bit of arcane casting.

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 03:09 PM
Maybe houserule by trading out Flurry for an ability from Pathfinder: The Magus' Spell Combat.

I'll try to clear it with my DM if that's allowed. I have to say that I am intrigued to try and use it.

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 03:11 PM
Complete arcane's enlightened fist prestige class allows you to do this, and is a somewhat popular choice to enter after sacred fist.

I like that idea! I'm going to try to work it out with my DM to see if I can get this as an Alternate class feature to sacred fist because Enlightened Fist does not mesh well with my character concept.

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 03:12 PM
What you can do is use touch spells such as chill touch which have multiple charges. Cast the spell, move in close, and then use your free action to deliver the first charge. On your second turn, as you are holding the charge, you can deliver more charges as part of a full attack using your unarmed strike.

I do recommend Enlightened Fist. Arcane casting gives you access to those multi-charge touch spells.

Some multi-charge spells you can use:

Corrosive Grasp
Touch of the Graveborn
Scalding Touch
Storm Touch
Parching Touch
Belker Claws (only once per round)

Quicken spell is a useful option here. You can cast something like vampiric touch the first round and then cast quicken chill touch just before your full attack to get a free action touch. Snap Kick from ToB gives you an extra attack. Improved Trip lets you discharge twice with the same attack if you succeed in the trip attempt, once for the trip touch and once for the second attack. Circle Kick from Sword and Fist let's you hit a second target with each unarmed attack. Two Weapon fighting gives you an off hand attack. Gloves of the Balanced Hand gives you the benefit of TWF feat or the imp TWF feat if you have the first (this technically qualifies you for greater TWF as long as you wear the gloves).

This is a very useful resource to have I will be sure to use it in game! Thank you so much for your help!

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 03:16 PM
Enlightened fist grants you the ability to deliver a touch spell as part of a full attack with unarmed strikes. Easy peasy. You just need a little bit of arcane casting.

I'll try to see a way to work that in with my character concept! Thank you for the help!

Darg
2021-05-08, 09:20 PM
I like that idea! I'm going to try to work it out with my DM to see if I can get this as an Alternate class feature to sacred fist because Enlightened Fist does not mesh well with my character concept.

If you like the class, feel free to refluff it for a divine caster. PRCs as presented are meant to be guidelines for tailor making your own. So talk with the DM and see if they will allow it. It's not quite as strong on a divine gish so it should be easier to allow it.

Remuko
2021-05-08, 11:21 PM
I'll try to see a way to work that in with my character concept! Thank you for the help!

fyi theres a button next to the reply button that lets you quote multiple people at once, so you can put your replies all in one post.

Albanymusicfund
2021-05-08, 11:43 PM
fyi theres a button next to the reply button that lets you quote multiple people at once, so you can put your replies all in one post.

Ok

asddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Rebel7284
2021-05-09, 12:56 AM
- Smiting Spell is a metamagic feat that can allow for punching people with spells.
- There are other spell channeling classes too (Duskblade, Spellsword, Ordained Champion)
- Spell Storing and Bloodstone weapon can be added to fists with some shenanigans.
- Wasn't there also some weird feat with fighting where if you hit your opponent with both ends, you could discharge a spell in the staff? Not sure if that works with flurry, but might be fun. Also, the feat gave +1 attack for each 10 charges if I recall correctly.