PDA

View Full Version : Bag of holding dimensions

Segev
2021-05-08, 12:35 PM
It strikes me that a bag of holding's exterior dimensions are never given. Other than the fact that the opening would have to match the two foot diameter, there's nothing indicating whether it is half the interior size, or a little coin purse with a very stretchy mouth.

The listed size has to be the interior: the depth is four feet, so unless it is a rigid cylinder, it seems likely that the mouth is less wide and that it has a roughly cubic or spherical shape. This coincidentally gives us roughly 64 cubic feet of interior space. If we interpret this as the exterior dimensions, and that it is two feet wide and four feet long, it is bigger on the inside, But not usefully nor impressively so.

So the argument against my assumption that we are only given the interior dimensions can be made, but if that argument holds true, is the bag of holding really all that impressive an item?

Mellack
2021-05-08, 02:00 PM
Since dimensions are not given, it is up to DM discretion. However, even if they decide the bag is 2x4 feet outside, it is still extremely useful as it doesn't change weight. Up to 500# of stuff that never counts as more than 15#.

Unoriginal
2021-05-08, 02:10 PM
It strikes me that a bag of holding's exterior dimensions are never given. Other than the fact that the opening would have to match the two foot diameter, there's nothing indicating whether it is half the interior size, or a little coin purse with a very stretchy mouth.

The listed size has to be the interior: the depth is four feet, so unless it is a rigid cylinder, it seems likely that the mouth is less wide and that it has a roughly cubic or spherical shape. This coincidentally gives us roughly 64 cubic feet of interior space. If we interpret this as the exterior dimensions, and that it is two feet wide and four feet long, it is bigger on the inside, But not usefully nor impressively so.

So the argument against my assumption that we are only given the interior dimensions can be made, but if that argument holds true, is the bag of holding really all that impressive an item?

Segev, even if the Bag of Holding literally was a large 64 cubic feet sack with no extraplanar space, would it not already be impressive to be able to carry everything you put into it without your character feeling the weight?

Now we know for a fact that on top of the "no weight" part, the Bag of Holding is in fact smaller than a 64 cubic feet, and that no matter how filled it is the bag always interact with the environment as if it was empty, meaning it can be flattened, folded, etc.

I would say it's pretty impressive, IMO.

Also the DMG has an illustration of the Bag of Holding, IIRC. Would you consider that showing the size it has?

Segev
2021-05-08, 02:19 PM
Segev, even if the Bag of Holding literally was a large 64 cubic feet sack with no extraplanar space, would it not already be impressive to be able to carry everything you put into it without your character feeling the weight?

Now we know for a fact that on top of the "no weight" part, the Bag of Holding is in fact smaller than a 64 cubic feet, and that no matter how filled it is the bag always interact with the environment as if it was empty, meaning it can be flattened, folded, etc.

I would say it's pretty impressive, IMO.

Also the DMG has an illustration of the Bag of Holding, IIRC. Would you consider that showing the size it has?

I'm never sure if the illustrations actually have any bearing on the actual game constructs. Is that a messenger bag, a purse, a hip-bag? A fanny-pack? Without a person wearing/carrying it, it's hard to say. But it at least might give some guidance, you're right there.

That is a good point (from both replies) about it only weighing 15 lbs. even when laden with 500 lbs. of stuff, though.

Spriteless
2021-05-08, 02:41 PM
If it isn't written down, it means different bags have different external sizes and descriptions. You can have a fancy wallet bag of holding for the noble, and a scuffed up coin purse for the thief, a big canvas bag with a matching false "bottom" on the inside for the smuggler.

Don't ask me where bags of devouring fit into this.