PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dungeons & Dragons 5.1E — Sorcerer

thoroughlyS
2021-05-08, 04:26 PM
Index (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?620527-Dungeons-amp-Dragons-5-1E-%97-Houserules-to-Revise-amp-Revamp-the-Game)

I have been playing Dungeons & Dragons for about half of my life, first introduced to the game at the tail end of v3.5. I have been playing 5E since its release, and it is my favorite version of the game. I feel like the rules are simple, elegant, and cohesive... for the most part. But no game is truly perfect, even to an individual, and there are some rules that I feel were suboptimally implemented. Some build options in the game outshine others, leading to an oversaturation in play. Meanwhile, other build options are so underwhelming that they are neglected an are often called for reworks.

In this thread, I present my list of houserules (listed in red) which have the sole purpose of trying to make bad options good, and the best options merely great. In doing so, I hope to allow players at my table a greater breadth of concepts to explore, simply by making everything worth playing. These changes are to the sorcerer which is often considered the weakest full caster. I think the only real problems it has are a lack of spells known, limited access to metamagic options, and a trash capstone. Most of my changes are really just to flesh out its identity as the innate spellcaster.

Sorcerer (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WWXw_cYbsHESUnYoAt7FqRtbKStmskfL/view?usp=sharing)
Spellcasting Focus
You can use yourself as a spellcasting focus for all of your spells. You still must have free use of at least one hand to cast spells with somatic components.
A flavorful addition to the sorcerer at 1st level. You are supposed to have magic flowing through you, so it kind of goes against the theme if you need to have a physical implement to cast. I allow this to extend to any spells, because that is more thematic. If you are a sorcerer who starts learning wizardly magic, you should be able to cast without needing a wand. I make sure not to create any exploits here, however, so you'd still need War Caster to cast with a weapon.
Font of Magic
At 2nd level, you tap into a deep wellspring of magic within yourself, which allows you to create a variety of magical effects. Your access to this wellspring is represented by a pool of sorcery points. You have a number of sorcery points equal to your sorcerer level, and can never have more points than that in your pool at once.
You can spend these points to fuel various features. You start knowing three such features: Flexible Casting, Imbue Weapon, and Unbound Casting. You learn more ways to use your sorcery points as you gain levels in this class.
You regain all spent sorcery points when you finish a long rest.
Imbue Weapon
As a bonus action on your turn, you can touch one nonmagical weapon and spend 1 sorcery point to imbue it with magic. For 1 minute, the weapon is considered magical for the purpose of overcoming immunity and resistance to nonmagical attacks.
Unbound Casting
When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to cast it without any somatic or verbal components.
I add in Imbue Weapon from Unearthed Arcana, but make it much cheaper (this is in tandem with making magic weapon a 1st-level spell that doesn't require concentration).

I give Subtle Spell to sorcerers for free at 2nd level, because it is the natural extension of the change to Spellcasting Focus above. You ARE magic, so making it happen without needing chants or movements seems appropriate. Also, this is no longer a Metamagic option, so it can be used alongside one.
Metamagic
At 3rd level, you gain the ability to twist your spells to suit your needs. You gain two Metamagic options of your choice.
You can use only one Metamagic option on a spell when you cast it, unless otherwise noted.
You choose an additional option at 6th, 10th, and 14th level.
I give an additional Metamagic option at 6th level, and give the final one significantly earlier.
Careful Spell
When you cast a spell that forces other creatures to make a saving throw, you can protect some of those creatures from the spell’s force. To do so, you spend 1 sorcery point and choose a number of those creatures up to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one creature). A chosen creature automatically succeeds on its saving throw against the spell, and it takes no damage if it would normally take half damage on a successful save.
A common change at many tables.
Enduring Spell
When you cast a spell, you can spend 1 sorcery point to make that spell more difficult to disrupt. A spellcaster who casts counterspell or dispel magic must make an ability check to counter or dispel that spell (regardless of either spell’s level), and it is made with disadvantage.
If the spell you cast requires concentration, you have advantage on saving throws to maintain your concentration on that spell.
A brand new option to represent magic that is a little "hardier". The first benefit here is very niche, but the second benefit is a worthwhile addition to spells that you need to stay up no matter what.
Extended Spell
When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 minute or 10 minutes, you can spend 1 sorcery point to increase its duration to 1 hour.
When you cast a spell that has a duration of 1 hour or longer, you can spend 1 sorcery point to double its duration, to a maximum of 24 hours.
This changes allows single combat spells to potentially last multiple combats.
Seeking Spell
When you cast a spell that requires you to make a spell attack, you can spend 1 sorcery point to gain advantage on the first spell attack roll. That attack scores a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20.
Official Seeking Spell seems very lackluster considering the cost. Yes, you only have to pay for it when you've already missed, but that still seems inefficient. I make it cheaper, but more it to before making the attack. To make up for the loss of consistency I give it a nice little crit buff.
Virtuoso
At 20th level, you have mastered your ability to shape the nature of magic. Whenever you cast a spell, you can use Unbound Casting or a Metamagic option you have that costs 1 sorcery point on that spell without spending a sorcery point. The Metamagic option can be used even if you use a different Metamagic option during the casting of the spell.
For example, if you cast dominate monster you could use Distant Spell to extend the range of the spell without spending a sorcery point. You could also use Heightened Spell to make it more difficult to resist, as normal.
A brand new capstone that is kind of wordy, but basically lets you use one metamagic option every turn for free, even on top of another metamagic option that you pay for.