PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Io & Selena's Marriage

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-09, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone. I'm going to homebrew lore that I just made up about the Dragon deity Io and his wife Selena (A character that I made up). Selena was formerly a gray gem dragon that I just made a while back but I didn't know there was already a gem dragon deity, Sardior but at the time I just created Selena. So anyway Selena is a Great Wyrm Force Dragon.

So here's the lore about Io and Selena's marriage:

At the beginning of the time of the Outlands Io met Selena. They fall in love and got married. Then they created 11 children (Bahamut, Tamara, Hlal, Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx, Chronepsis, Sardior, Astilabor, Lendys, and Aasterinian) They also created the dragon race (metallic, gem, and chromatic dragons). Io and Selena and their children live happily. Selena just saw a race of humans hurting the dragons. Selena informed Io. Io told Selena "We can't get involved with this problem this isn't our fight. We must stay neutral and let our children resolved their problems." Selena didn't agree with her husband's advice. So Selena took the attack and attack the humans and defend her children. Io and Selena have a major argument about what she did. Selena cares more about her children than Io who wants to say neutral and doesn't want to get involved. So Io and Selena break up their marriage and went on their separate ways.

So what do you think of Io and Selena's marriage lore? Tell me your thoughts and opinions. :smile:

Mystic Muse
2021-05-09, 11:01 PM
What does Selena's presence in the fluff actually change or affect in the story?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-09, 11:12 PM
What does Selena's presence in the fluff actually change or affect in the story?

I'm still working on it. :wink:

Mystic Muse
2021-05-09, 11:50 PM
I'm still working on it. :wink:

That is something you should have figured out in 2018 when you first came up with this character. Or at least in the intervening time.

What you've just told me is, removing this character from the story completely changes nothing. That means this character has no reason to exist.

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 06:41 AM
That is something you should have figured out in 2018 when you first came up with this character. Or at least in the intervening time.

What you've just told me is, removing this character from the story completely changes nothing. That means this character has no reason to exist.

Where there have been a few events for Selena:

1. Selena was a peacekeeper to settled Bahamut and Hlal's disagreement.

2 Sardior warns Selena that Tiamat, Faluzure, and Garyx have joined forces to kill Selena. So Selena fought her three evil dragon deities children and defeated them.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-10, 03:39 PM
Where there have been a few events for Selena:

1. Selena was a peacekeeper to settled Bahamut and Hlal's disagreement. I am not familiar with this piece of fluff. Can you elaborate?

2 Sardior warns Selena that Tiamat, Faluzure, and Garyx have joined forces to kill Selena. So Selena fought her three evil dragon deities children and defeated them.

1. If Sardior exists, what purpose does Selena serve?
2. What purpose does this warning serve? She's apparently completely capable of fighting off all 3.
3. What do Falazure, Garyx, and Tiamat theoretically gain from killing Selena? What's their motivation?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 03:52 PM
I am not familiar with this piece of fluff. Can you elaborate?

1. If Sardior exists, what purpose does Selena serve?
2. What purpose does this warning serve? She's apparently completely capable of fighting off all 3.
3. What do Falazure, Garyx, and Tiamat theoretically gain from killing Selena? What's their motivation?

Well Bahamut and Hlal have an argument is due to their different viewpoints of for the sake of goodd. Bahamut is Lawful Good and Hlal is Chaotic Good. Hall said why should my followers have to obey your laws, rules, and regulations, my followers believe in freedom for the sake of goodness. Bahamut said why should my followers break the laws for the sake of goodness. I believe my followers believed the justice in the rules and regulations of goodness. This was almost cause a war between but Selena stepped in and have Bahamut and Hlal resolved their differences.

Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx are evil. Sardior was very worried at his mother being slain. Of course she did have assistance by her son Sardior and her husband Io. Despite their neutrality. They form a bond to fight their evil family members and defeated them.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-10, 04:11 PM
Well Bahamut and Hlal have an argument is due to their different viewpoints of for the sake of goodd. Bahamut is Lawful Good and Hlal is Chaotic Good. Hall said why should my followers have to obey your laws, rules, and regulations, my followers believe in freedom for the sake of goodness. Bahamut said why should my followers break the laws for the sake of goodness. I believe my followers believed the justice in the rules and regulations of goodness. This was almost cause a war between but Selena stepped in and have Bahamut and Hlal resolved their differences. is this canon, or something you made up?

Tiamat, Faluzure, Garyx are evil. This does not answer my question. I am aware they are evil. What do they get out of killing Selena? What is their motivation to do this?

Sardior was very worried at his mother being slain. Of course she did have assistance by her son Sardior and her husband Io. Despite their neutrality. They form a bond to fight their evil family members and defeated them.

I am not questioning Sardior's motives here, they're self-explanatory.

So, Selena is not capable of fighting off all 3 by herself, she needed Io and Sardior's help? Why did the good dragon gods not assist?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 04:28 PM
is this canon or something you made up?

This does not answer my question. I am aware they are evil. What do they get out of killing Selena? What is their motivation to do this?

I am not questioning Sardior's motives here, they're self-explanatory.

So, Selena is not capable of fighting off all 3 by herself, she needed Io and Sardior's help? Why did the good dragon gods not assist?
This something I made up. They get to steal her divine rank and powers. She didn't need any help from the good dragons because there are other dragon deities just as useful as the good dragon's deities.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-10, 11:26 PM
This something I made up.

Okay, let me be very very clear.

This is a trademark of bad fanfiction. Inventing conflicts wholesale for the awesome new character to come in and solve. You are warping the entire setting around the character.

By saying you made this up, you are admitting that you are deliberately altering the existing characters so that your new character can solve a problem. This is bad because people read fiction involving specific characters to read about those specific characters. If I pick up a Batman comic, and he's slaughtering people left and right I'm going to drop that comic. Having Hlal and Bahamut fight when ordinarily they wouldn't, just so your new character can solve the conflict, is basically the same thing. If I'm reading a story with Bahamut in it because I like Bahamut, and he stops acting like Bahamut, I'm going to stop reading.

What you should do is something that is admittedly difficult at times. Look at canon situations, and see how the presence of your new character affects them.

Does an existing conflict get settled more quickly because they're there? Does it get drug out further because they're there? Does the existing conflict not happen at all because of the character's presence?

The last one is potentially dangerous territory, but can be written well.

They get to steal her divine rank and powers. Okay, good. This is exactly what I was asking for in the first place.

She didn't need any help from the good dragons because there are other dragon deities just as useful as the good dragon's deities. Okay, but why were those the first people she went to? Why would she go to Io, who makes a policy of non-intervention, instead of one or several of the good dragon deities who have existing conflicts with the evil ones? How does Sardior even know this is going to happen? Why would the evil dragons not abandon their plan when they're clearly outmatched?

Also, you still haven't answered what purpose Selena serves if there's already an existing god of gem dragons. Why does she not replace Sardior?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 11:58 PM
Okay, let me be very very clear.

This is a trademark of bad fanfiction. Inventing conflicts wholesale for the awesome new character to come in and solve. You are warping the entire setting around the character.

By saying you made this up, you are admitting that you are deliberately altering the existing characters so that your new character can solve a problem. This is bad because people read fiction involving specific characters to read about those specific characters. If I pick up a Batman comic, and he's slaughtering people left and right I'm going to drop that comic. Having Hall and Bahamut fight when ordinarily they wouldn't, just so your new character can solve the conflict, is the same thing. If I'm reading a story with Bahamut in it because I like Bahamut, and he stops acting like Bahamut, I'm going to stop reading.

What you should do is admittedly difficult at times. Look at canon situations, and see how the presence of your new character affects them.

Does an existing conflict get settled more quickly because they're there? Does it get the drug out further because they're there? Does the existing conflict not happen at all because of the character's presence?

The last one is potentially dangerous territory, but can be written well.
Okay, good. This is exactly what I was asking for in the first place.

Okay, but why were those the first people she went to? Why would she go to Io, who makes a policy of non-intervention, instead of one or several of the good dragon deities who have existing conflicts with the evil ones? How does Sardior even know this is going to happen? Why would the evil dragons not abandon their plan when they're outmatched?

Also, you still haven't answered what purpose Selena serves if there's already an existing god of gem dragons. Why does she not replace Sardior?

Again I didn't even know that there was already a gem dragon exists. I didn't know at the time that I created her. So I choose to replace a Force Dragon instead of the Gem Dragon which I've already mentioned in the first post in this thread. Also, Sardior has psychic abilities so he can see the future. Also, she didn't want and ask the good dragons to assist with Selena's problems because she pretty capable to deal with the evil dragons herself also Io is a very powerful Dragon Deity.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-11, 12:22 AM
Again I didn't even know that there was already a gem dragon exists. I didn't know at the time that I created her. So I choose to replace a Force Dragon instead of the Gem Dragon which I've already mentioned in the first post in this thread. I admit missing that part, and going off the original concept. The mention of her being a force dragon instead is kind of thrown in as an afterthought.

Apologies for jumping down your throat about the gem dragon thing.

Also, Sardior has psychic abilities so he can see the future.

I was not aware of this. Even after looking Sardior up, I have not found future sight among his abilities.

Also, she didn't want and ask the good dragons to assist with Selena's problems because she pretty capable to deal with the evil dragons herself also Io is a very powerful Dragon Deity.

She doesn't deal with the problem herself though, she gets Sardior and Io involved. I am aware Io is a very powerful dragon deity, considering he's literally the leader of the entire pantheon.

Why do the evil dragons not give up on their plan when Io gets involved? Or does he talk them down and that's what you mean by them being 'defeated'?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-11, 12:30 AM
I admit missing that part and going off the original concept. The mention of her being a force dragon instead is kind of thrown in as an afterthought.

Apologies for jumping down your throat about the gem dragon thing.

I was not aware of this. Even after looking Sardior up, I have not found future sight among his abilities.

She doesn't deal with the problem herself though, she gets Sardior and Io involved. I am aware Io is a very powerful dragon deity, considering he's the leader of the entire pantheon.

Why do the evil dragons not give up on their plan when Io gets involved? Or does he talk them down and that's what you mean by them being 'defeated'?
Well, Sardior does have psychic abilities. There's even a stat block for Sardior in fact and as for the evil dragon's plans. How could I put this, they're not the brightest evil dragons in the family.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-11, 08:36 AM
Well, Sardior does have psychic abilities. There's even a stat block for Sardior in fact and as for the evil dragon's plans. How could I put this, they're not the brightest evil dragons in the family.

I'm not saying he doesn't have psychic abilities. I'm saying that I haven't found anything saying he has the ability to see the future.

And why are they not the brightest evil dragons in the family? Is this because of something in the fluff, or something else you made up?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-11, 12:03 PM
I'm not saying he doesn't have psychic abilities. I'm saying that I haven't found anything saying he has the ability to see the future.

And why are they not the brightest evil dragons in the family? Is this because of something in the fluff, or something else you made up?

Is something that I made up. :smile:

Mystic Muse
2021-05-11, 12:22 PM
Is something that I made up. :smile:

If you're going to warp everyone's personalities to make these stories happen, why not just come up with your own entire pantheon?

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-11, 12:27 PM
If you're going to warp everyone's personalities to make these stories happen, why not just come up with your entire pantheon?

I did make an elemental pantheon in the past.

Mystic Muse
2021-05-11, 12:38 PM
I did make an elemental pantheon in the past.

Why not make your own dragon pantheon? You can completely do your own spin on things, and then you just have to worry about keeping things internally consistent, instead of keeping existing personalities intact.

You're changing so much about the default fluff, you may as well make the pantheon entirely your own. Keep the concepts you like, but put your own spin on it. Maybe your Tiamat equivalent has 7 heads, or 9 and is good or chaos-aligned. Maybe she's still evil but in a different way.

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-11, 12:56 PM
Why not make your own dragon pantheon? You can completely do your own spin on things, and then you just have to worry about keeping things internally consistent, instead of keeping existing personalities intact.

You're changing so much about the default fluff, you may as well make the pantheon entirely your own. Keep the concepts you like, but put your own spin on it. Maybe your Tiamat equivalent has 7 heads, or 9 and is good or chaos-aligned. Maybe she's still evil but in a different way.

That's a good idea though.