PDA

View Full Version : Fey Touched Feat for Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer

Morax
2021-05-10, 02:54 AM
So i will play a new Character in an ongoing Campaign.

I will play a Dragonborn Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer who will start at lvl 7

I would like to make the Fey Touched Feat my 1.st Choice at vl 4, it seems really strong and would fit storywise aswell.

But my Problem is: Which Lvl1 Spell should i choose ?

So far i set my mind on the following list:

Cantrips:

Mind Sliver
Fire Bolt
Prestidigitation
Minor Illusion
Mage Hand

Lvl1 Spells:

Shield
Disguise Self (unsure about this)

Lvl2 Spells:
Invisibility
Levitate (unsure about this)
Scorching Ray

Metamagic Choices:

Quicken Spell
Twinned Spell

With the Feat, i gain Misty Step and i must choose another Lvl 1 Spell.

Which one would you prefere ?
I thought of Hex, because it has a nice Synergy with Scorching Ray and Quicken Spell.
However, i donīt know if this choice will fall behind on later levels, so maybe something like Comand or Dissonant Whispers would be more usefull ?

Spore
2021-05-10, 03:02 AM
Personally I enjoy Sleep (if you know combat will end and you want to take the enemy alive), if you can spare the concentration, Bane (to make your own saves more likely to hit) or Bless (for saves and attack spells). Gift of Alacrity is "fire and forget" for initiative, while Command is a simple enough save or suck.

I picked Sleep for my warlock, but I would probably get Bless for a melee group, or Bane for a more caster heavy setup.

ZRN
2021-05-10, 08:25 AM
First question - do you know what the rest of the party looks like? Some spells work really well if there are a bunch of melee people in the party, others with spellcasters, etc.

Dissonant Whispers and Command both seem like strong choices to me - especially for a stereotypical big and brash dragonborn sorcerer, just yelling "KNEEL BEFORE ME" and having it work seems great.

RogueJK
2021-05-10, 08:32 AM
Hex wouldn't be a very efficient use of your Concentration or Bonus Actions. It's best left to those who are consistently making multiple attacks per round. It does have some synergy with Scorching Ray's multiple attack rolls, but that's just one spell, and it quickly gets outclassed anyway.

Dissonant Whispers is a great spell that's rarely seen otherwise (being normally available to Bard or GOOlock only). It's especially nice if you have several melee party members who could take advantage of the Opportunity Attacks it can generate. Otherwise, you already have some direct damage options, and will likely continue to learn several more as you progress, being a Draconic Sorcerer (a subclass that's kinda all about being a blaster). Might be handy for use against Fire Immune enemies, though. But I'd look at branching out and picking up a control/buff/debuff spell instead of just taking more damage spells.

You don't seem to be picking many Sorcerer Concentration spells, so I'd go with something like Bless or Bane. Either one gives you something useful to do with your Concentration during combat. Bless is one of the best spells in the game, useful in every Tier of play, and makes the entire party better. It can basically be your go-to when there's not something else specific that you want to be spending your Concentration on. Bane could be handy for when you start tossing out your save-based blast spells like Fireball, though it's not quite as useful as Bless in many circumstances.

Or alternately, since you're planning to take Disguise Self and Invisibility anyway, you could simply take the Shadow Touched feat instead, learning those two spells from that feat. This frees you up to choose from a wider variety of additional Sorcerer spells in their place, and you could take one or two useful Sorcerer Concentration spells, going with something like Absorb Elements and then Web or Suggestion.

sethdmichaels
2021-05-10, 08:58 AM
Gift of Alacrity is "fire and forget" for initiative

my sense is that Gift of Alacrity, if your DM lets you use it, is a great choice for Fey Touched because as a leveled spell it's questionable whether it's a good use of a slot, but as a nearly-always-on daily bonus, it's handy.

if you don't already have Bless, though, it's a great spell the rest of your party will love and your CON save proficiency will make it easier to keep your concentration on it.

Morax
2021-05-10, 09:52 AM
First question - do you know what the rest of the party looks like? Some spells work really well if there are a bunch of melee people in the party, others with spellcasters, etc.

Dissonant Whispers and Command both seem like strong choices to me - especially for a stereotypical big and brash dragonborn sorcerer, just yelling "KNEEL BEFORE ME" and having it work seems great.

Ah yes i forgot to mention that !
The Party consists of Moon Druid, Battlemaster Fighter and Arcane Trickster Rogue, so mostly melee Combatants

Bobthewizard
2021-05-10, 08:29 PM
Dissonant Whispers and Tasha's Hideous Laughter are my favorites for this. I'll add Command in too if you like that better. You need something that's still useful at higher levels out of a first level slot.

Morax
2021-05-11, 08:37 AM
Dissonant Whispers and Tasha's Hideous Laughter are my favorites for this. I'll add Command in too if you like that better. You need something that's still useful at higher levels out of a first level slot.

Thanks for the Advice, after reading all comments, i came to the conclusion, that i will take the "Command" spell.
This one seems apropriate from a role playing perspective and i can twin it or quicken it.

Mysticalamity
2021-05-18, 08:18 AM
I'd highly recommend picking a second damage cantrip that does a less resisted damage type than fire and the same with a first or second level spell to complement Scorching Ray. For the cantrip I would recommend Chill Touch as it is 120' ranged (avoids opponent save advantages/bonuses; makes possible attack advantage and crit hits), has powerful opponent debuff residuals, and necrotic resistance isn't that common. I would also recommend Chromatic Orb at first level as it is also ranged and lets you pick the damage type to avoid known resistances; it also scales decently when cast with higher level slots. At second level, Levitate in my experience can be pretty situational. A more versatile move/semi-buff/utility imo is Spider Climb, which can be twinned. Phantasmal Force, Suggestion, and Tasha's Mind Whip all have less commonly resisted saves, a wide range of control possibilities, and can be twinned; PF can be manipulated while quickening instantaneous spells.

I'd argue that Hex scales just fine without being upcast at higher levels and offers one of the few ways a sorcerer can add punch to a variety of damage type spells for those epic or tricky encounters. It also lasts or an hour if you can keep concentration; every repetition increases its total value. Just keeping it for four rounds adds an average of 14 to damage dealt; certainly a good 1st level spell slot payoff.

Maan
2021-05-18, 09:42 AM
Given the party composition, those could set up some pretty brutal damage.

ZRN
2021-05-19, 08:50 AM
I'd argue that Hex scales just fine without being upcast at higher levels and offers one of the few ways a sorcerer can add punch to a variety of damage type spells for those epic or tricky encounters. It also lasts or an hour if you can keep concentration; every repetition increases its total value. Just keeping it for four rounds adds an average of 14 to damage dealt; certainly a good 1st level spell slot payoff.

Here's the thing: you get a couple benefits from Fey-Touched. First off, you get to cast a first-level spell and Misty Step once per day each. That's great! But more importantly, you get Misty Step and that first-level spell added to your spells known, meaning you can cast them at ANY level you have a slot for.

Since sorcerers (other than the new clockwork soul and aberrant mind subclasses) have really limited spells known, AND since the feat (unlike your normal sorcerer spells) doesn't let you change what spell you know as you level up, you want to make sure you're picking a spell that'll be useful your entire adventuring career, which almost certainly means something that scales up with higher-level spell slots.

Also, you probably want to pick something that's not already on the sorcerer spell list, because otherwise you can just learn that spell normally.

People mentioned Gift of Alacrity and Tasha's Hideous Laughter; both are great first-level spells that are somewhat useful even at high levels, but neither of them gets any benefit from using a higher-level slot, meaning that they're less likely to be worth spending an action on.

Command and Dissonant Whispers are good choices because they're often useful when cast at first level, meaning that free once-per-day casting won't be wasted at high levels, AND they get some real benefit from using a higher-level slot, so they're potentially still worth an action at mid- to high levels.

Of course, the best choice of all is whichever will be coolest, so the OP made the right choice. Command is great in AND out of combat, it affects creatures immune to charm, it can be used creatively, and you can scale it up to impact multiple enemies.