PDA

View Full Version : Humblebragging about my nerdy wife

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-10, 11:38 AM
So my wife has recently been getting into DnD to help satisfy her urge to write stories and play games with people, and I just wanted to show off a few quotes that made my heart skip.

"Man, Monks are so cool! They can attack like 3 times, or use Patient Defense, run really fast, and friggin' catch arrows? Man, how are they not OP?"

"So, wait, Warlocks get most of their powers based on Short Rests? Isn't it stupid to fluctuate a player character's power on a narrative device?"

Her: "Wait, so Barbarians' only non-combat power is to lift heavy objects? Is that useful?"
Me: "Well, when you're making up scenarios for our 1-on-1 stuff, how many times did you decide to put in some kind of strength-based problem?"
Her: "Uh...zero. So Barbarians suck out of combat, got it. That is a really stupid problem to have to deal with. It's not like I have to add a Dexterity-based problem for someone to use that stuff."

I have played with folks who've played DnD for years and still have no idea what their powers are, here she is figuring out some of the more intricate nuances of DMing casually. I love my wife very much.

Anyone else get surprised by their significant others or new players who deserve some praise?

sethdmichaels
2021-05-10, 12:32 PM
love this!

i have a regular weekly group and 2 fellow players and the DM all had birthdays within a week, so i offered to DM a one-shot for them all and host in my backyard. per one player's request i made a character for my wife "just in case," and as kind of a joke i made it based on our cat (he's a former stray, so i made him a Tabaxi scout rogue). she's not super into complex board games or fantasy, so i wasn't expecting her to actually take us up on it. i was pleasantly surprised when she agreed to join...and thrilled when she very quickly turned out to be super good at it (effectively using her bonus-action disengage in the final battle, for instance).

in retrospect i should have guessed she'd be a natural rogue and great at playing chaotic neutral!

JackPhoenix
2021-05-10, 01:46 PM
WTF is humblebragging?

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-10, 01:51 PM
WTF is humblebragging?

"Yeah, I totally benched like 400 lbs the other day, but I kinda overdid it and gotta spend the day chillin'. You know how it be, amirite?"

It's forcefully inserting a brag through noncommittal means so you can pretend that you don't sound like an ass hole.

The word isn't really used correctly in my post, I added it with the intent of sounding more like an ass hole.

MaxWilson
2021-05-10, 02:07 PM
Humblebragging (present participle):

making an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement with the actual intention of drawing attention to something of which one is proud.

Sparky McDibben
2021-05-10, 02:36 PM
So I have run a nightly one-on-one game with my wife for the last four years. We've gone through a crapton of campaigns, levels one to twenty. Here are some quotes that made me very proud:

While a level three rogue: "Imma fight this ghost."

While playing as an Aberrant Mind Sorcerer, swallowed by a tarrasque, at 17 hp: "So Revelation of the Flesh says I can squeeze through any opening with only 5 feet of movement. Which end of the tarrasque do I want to come out of?"

Me: "You enter the first floor of the druid's sanctum. A strange mask hovers in midair at the other end of the room. Hundreds of bark-paper scrolls occupy the upper levels. What do you want to do?"

Her: "I put on the mask."

Me: "**** yeah, you do!"

Kane0
2021-05-10, 08:22 PM
A toast to this man’s wife!