PDA

View Full Version : TV Shows And Movies That Involves Dragons

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 03:05 PM
I know there so many TV shows and movies that involve dragons such as How To Train Your Dragon, Dragonball Z, Pokemon, Digimon, The Hobbit, Dungeons, And Dragons Cartoon, and Live-Action Movie, Merlin, Sleeping Beauty. Are there any other TV shows and movies that involved dragons? :smile:

Wraith
2021-05-10, 03:14 PM
I've seen this question asked before (Not by you, bartmanhomer, if just appears occasionally in many forums :smalltongue: ) and I always like to answer with Dragonheart.

Starring Dennis Quaid at the height of his power and Sean Connery in a rare voice-over role, it's also the movie that made me realise that there were good movie composers apart from John Williams. Randy Edelman's 'To The Stars' is a beauty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTKSUlMbp9A).

Reign of Fire was pretty good too, very much a B-Movie with an A-list budget. Stars a young Christian Bale before he struck it big, and you can see the talent growing despite the daft premise and dated CGI.

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 03:24 PM
I've seen this question asked before (Not by you, bartmanhomer, if just appears occasionally in many forums :smalltongue: ) and I always like to answer with Dragonheart.

Starring Dennis Quaid at the height of his power and Sean Connery in a rare voice-over role, it's also the movie that made me realise that there were good movie composers apart from John Williams. Randy Edelman's 'To The Stars' is a beauty (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTKSUlMbp9A).

Reign of Fire was pretty good too, very much a B-Movie with an A-list budget. Stars a young Christian Bale before he struck it big, and you can see the talent growing despite the daft premise and dated CGI.

Well, I knew that this was a popular and common question to ask. :smile:

DavidSh
2021-05-10, 03:32 PM
Dragons show up as incidental characters in lots of movies. For example, the 1928 The Thief of Bagdad has a dragon as an obstacle the hero must overcome.

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 03:39 PM
Dragons show up as incidental characters in lots of movies. For example, the 1928 The Thief of Bagdad has a dragon as an obstacle the hero must overcome.

Wow. That's awesome. I might look that up and watch it. :smile:

Peelee
2021-05-10, 05:56 PM
Ya know, the dragon is kind of irrelevant to Dragon Ball. It could be anything. It could be an Emperor Pilaf clone. So long as it can grant one wish (or three if you're off-planet), it doesn't much matter what it is.

Also, Dragon Wars and Eragon.

Bartmanhomer
2021-05-10, 06:06 PM
Ya know, the dragon is kind of irrelevant to Dragon Ball. It could be anything. It could be an Emperor Pilaf clone. So long as it can grant one wish (or three if you're off-planet), it doesn't much matter what it is.

Also, Dragon Wars and Eragon.

Ok. I never heard of Dragon Wars before and I forgot all about Eragon.

Tyrant
2021-05-10, 06:52 PM
It has been quite some time since I watched it, and I don't know that I actually watched the entire movie, but I assume from the title and what I remember of it that the movie Dragonslayer does involve a dragon.

HBO also had a little show called Game of Thrones that involved some dragons.

JadedDM
2021-05-10, 07:59 PM
The Dragon Prince.

Giggling Ghast
2021-05-11, 02:55 AM
The Harry Potter films have a couple of dragons in them, though I believe the Goblet of Fire is the best example.

Merlin has a dragon voiced by the late John Hurt that serves as an advisor to the title character as he serves Arthur the once and future king.

The live-action Witcher series does have a poorly-animated gold dragon in one episode. It does help kibosh Yennefer's efforts to restore her missing lady parts, which was helpful in ending that pointless sub-plot.

There is a Dragon's Dogma cartoon based on the game, which had a dragon as the antagonist. But I heard it wasn't that good.

And of course, there is Flight of Dragons, where the main character inhabits the nody of a dragon for the majority of the run time.

Khedrac
2021-05-11, 03:07 AM
And there's a dragon in the final episode of Angel.

I think once people start digging there are going to be lots and lots of obscure shows in which a dragon makes an appearance - they are a very common fantasy trope.

Come to think of it, there's a dragon on-screen in most episodes of Monkey, it's just in the form of a horse (Tripitaka's mount) as that is its penance.

Then there's Tiamat in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon show.

The CGI'd actors film of Beowulf has Grendel's mother's true form as a dragon.

Fyraltari
2021-05-11, 03:09 AM
Dragons show up a few times in Wakfu.

Peelee
2021-05-11, 08:05 AM
The Dragon Prince.
I was trying to pull out only stinkers.

The Harry Potter films have a couple of dragons in them, though I believe the Oblet of Fire is the best example.
Speaking of which, i should have mentioned Goblet of Fire.

comicshorse
2021-05-11, 10:25 AM
It has been quite some time since I watched it, and I don't know that I actually watched the entire movie, but I assume from the title and what I remember of it that the movie Dragonslayer does involve a dragon.

HBO also had a little show called Game of Thrones that involved some dragons.

I loved Dragonslayer as a kid. I haven't seen it since cause I'm worried it won't hold up

(And yes it involves a big and scary Dragon)

Tyrant
2021-05-11, 03:59 PM
I loved Dragonslayer as a kid. I haven't seen it since cause I'm worried it won't hold up

(And yes it involves a big and scary Dragon)
I genuinely do not remember any more of the movie than like 1 scene, and then only the scene itself with no dialogue so no real context. I will need to watch it (or rewatch it if I actually watched the whole thing all those years ago) at some point.

There's an episode of the Babylon 5 spin off (pretty sure it was the spin off and not the main series) where, if I am remembering correctly, a Technomage conjures up a dragon (or at least the illusion of one) because apparently the fear of giant fire breathing lizards transcends time and species (or he said something to that effect). It wasn't the main cast member that was a Technomage but a different one that they came across in that episode.

Glorthindel
2021-05-12, 07:00 AM
And there is the live action Dungeons and Dragons movie... sorry everyone for reminding you this movie exists :smallamused:

HolyDraconus
2021-05-12, 09:35 AM
Does The Last Dragon count?

Giggling Ghast
2021-05-12, 12:13 PM
Does The Last Dragon count?

If you’re referring to the 1985 martial arts film, I would say no.

But on that note: Raya and the Last Dragon definitely counts, even if the dragon is kind of furry rather than scaly.

Oh, and Mulan. The animated version, not the live-action film.

Fyraltari
2021-05-12, 12:26 PM
Spirited Away.

Solamnicknight
2021-06-04, 08:02 PM

Dragonheart was an old favorite of mine. Also I have a DVD of this interesting old Animal Planet special that was interesting and cool. “Dragons a Fantasy Made Real”

Radar
2021-06-07, 03:48 AM
The live-action Witcher series does have a poorly-animated gold dragon in one episode. It does help kibosh Yennefer's efforts to restore her missing lady parts, which was helpful in ending that pointless sub-plot.
Are you talking about the old or Netflix version? Because the former suffered greatly from low budget and rushed production (as the whole series) and the latter simply has a rather unfortunate design to be honest. At any rate, plot was in general way better handled in the books - including Yennefer's efforts to restore her lady parts.

Psyren
2021-06-08, 03:20 PM
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurDragonsAreDifferent

They are even sorted by eastern/western animation, live-action TV, films, web originals etc for your convenience