PDA

View Full Version : Traps and how to streamline and use them.

StickMan
2007-11-11, 09:23 PM
OK so I've been wanting to have a charter who can set up traps and quite frankly there are no rules for it. Yes there are rules for dungeon traps but not for setting things up around your camp.

I was thinking I could use the traps from the DMG and just have them as portable when it was logical. Then I looked at the prices, why does a Razor Wire across the Hall trap cost 400 GP. Does Razor wire cost that much or do you have to pay general contractors to set a Razor wire across a hall. An arrow trap is 2000 GP, once more what the heck all you need is a crossbow and some kind of trigger system how does that cost 2000 GP.

So I was wondering if people think there is some reasonable way to shrink these and others down and use them.

I figure I'll try something simple to start

Craft (Trapsmithing): New Uses

Tripwire (DC 10): Using a rope or wire you set up a simple Tripwire trap. For every 5 points by which you exceed the DC you increase its DC to Spot and improve its Trip attack by +1. If you fail the Check you still set up the trap but its attack bonus and spot DC decreases -2 for every point you fail by.
It takes 1 minute to set up a trip wire.

New Trap:
Trip wire: CR 0; mechanical: location trigger; manual reset; Atk +10 (Trip) (damage your pride); Search DC 10; Spot 20; Disable Device 5: Market Price: Cost of wire or rope.

Charlie Kemek
2007-11-11, 09:38 PM
There are booby traps in the Dm's guide 2, and that is one of them. it also tells how to make traps:smallfrown:

StickMan
2007-11-11, 09:43 PM
There are booby traps in the Dm's guide 2, and that is one of them. it also tells how to make traps:smallfrown:

Blasphemy, there is nothing of use in the DMG 2.

OK you have got to be kidding me, your telling me there is a reason to buy that book, crap I may have to do it now.

StickMan
2007-11-12, 01:15 PM
Nope I was right nothing good comes out of the DMG 2. I looked at it today and yea the one page of traps blows I think I'm going to keep working on a new set.

So in short post any ideas you have.

Stickman.

Icewalker
2007-11-12, 04:34 PM
I think the best way to do this would be to set DCs on trap pieces, then putting them together is usually easy, but you need to make the pieces separately.

Alchemist's Mines:

A simple contraption which you bury, when it is stepped on three flasks of alchemist's fire shoot 5 feet into the air and explode. The only issue I had was that you would need some device to make them explode. Of course, you could just say there is some simple device to do that.

Lets see: some kind of step-spring release device would be simple and cheap to make. Then add in the cost of three bottles of alchemists fire and some twine. Then there is a small explosive device...

Pieces example:
Spring-launch (pressure release) Trapmaking DC 15, 50 gp.
when a small button is pressed in, the spring launch device will hurl a light object a little ways into the air (3 lb. 5+ ft. up)

Blast capsule: Trapmaking DC 20, 75 gp.
This small object is a cylinder slightly smaller than an inch wide. There is a string attached, which, when pulled, causes the capsule to explode. The explosion is powerful enough to break something small the capsule is touching, such as a glass bottle, or to scorch skin (1 fire damage).

Then the Alchemist's Mine: 1 gp of further materials, DC 15 Trapmaking check to put the device together
3 bottles of alchemist's fire, one spring-launch (pressure release), one blast capsule, twine. The three bottles of alchemist's fire are tied together with the blast capsule in the middle. A 5-foot string is tied between the blast capsule trigger and the trap, so the blast capsule explodes when it reaches a height of 5 ft, shattering all three bottles and dealing 3d6 fire damage to any target standing immediately next to the trap. Everybody within 5 ft. of the trap also takes 3 fire damage.

Damn, I really like this plan. I'm going to have to elaborate and make myself a big list of trap-pieces for once I start running my campaign...awesome.

RS14
2007-11-12, 05:40 PM
What sort of character were you planning? It seems to me that most effective traps you could set at medium and high levels would need to be magical, or at least enchanted.
Also, while a trap around the camp may be effective, it may also fail completely, particularly with mundane traps, causing you to be caught completely off guard. You're better off with a single casting of Alarm unless you're already aware and can force your attacker to go through your traps.

[hr]

Deadfall Traps are simple and can be constructed by anyone with a knife, some branches, and a weight.

When a character walks under a deadfall trap (the target area is equal to the space of a normal creature of the targeted size), they must make a DC 10 dexterity check or have it activate. If they are aware of the trap, they have a +4 bonus on this check, and if they touch the trigger, they take a -6 penalty. Creatures larger than targeted by the trap take no damage, and creatures smaller than targeted by the trap gain +4 per size category difference on their dexterity checks to avoid activating it. If the trap is activated, all creatures in the target are entitled to a DC22 reflex save to to avoid all damage. A creature deliberately setting it off receives +10 on this save.

{table]Fine|1d4
Diminutive|1d6
Tiny|1d8
Small|1d10
Medium|2d6
Large|4d6
Huge|6d6
Gargantuan|10d6
Colossal|14d6

[/table]

Construction requires one DC10 Craft(Trapmaking) check, one strength check of DC(20 +- 5 per size category above or below medium targeted by the trap), and one DC(14+-1 per size category above or below medium) dexterity check. On a failed dexterity check, the trap collapses on its maker and they must make a normal reflex save to avoid it.

Spot: Opposed roll against the Craft(Trapmaking) check at construction. Bonus/Penalty to hide are applied as if the trap were a creature of its target size.

Triaxx
2007-11-12, 08:35 PM
Stick with nails: (Outdoor trap)

A stick with nails does not actively require nails, but can use wood splinters. The trap consists of a simple springwire trip, holding a branch tightly. The branch is the 'stick' and may have nails or sharpened pieces of wood driven through, or otherwise fastened to it. A DC 10 Trapsmithing check is required for a proper trap. Trap does 1d10 damage +1 for every five points over the check. A stick with nails takes 1 minute to assemble with nails, 3 with wood. Material Cost: Price of rope to form trip, fasten wood. Search DC 7, Spot 15, Disable Device 10.

Fire Cage:

A fire cage consists of a wooden cage, constructed of small dry logs, usually coated in oil. The lower ends are pointed or drop into premade holes. Atop the cage is settled a bottle of alchemists fire. The force of the dropping cage causes the bottle to shatter engulfing the cage in flames. Constructing the cage requires a DC 25 Trapsmithing check, or a DC 22 Craft (Carpentry) check. Assembling and setting the trap requires a DC 15 Trapsmithing check, followed by a DC 14 Dexterity check to avoid dropping the Alchemists fire.

Dodging a falling Fire Cage requires a DC 28 reflex save, +5 if trap has been spotted, +5 if trap is purposely triggered. Fire cage can be disabled with DC 25 Disable Device, followed by a DC18 Dexterity save to avoid dropping the Alchemists fire. Cage is treated as a normal cage, using wood as construction material. A DC 30 Strength check will burst the cage. DC decreases 5 for every five minutes of burn time.

Search DC 20 (Outdoors), 15 (Indoors), Spot 35

Alex12
2007-11-12, 08:55 PM
my personal favorite trap is the spell turret, from DMG2. It can't see through objects, but can see invisible things, and shoots anything it doesn't recognize as friendly. Make one of those things, carry it with you, covered up so it doesn't see anything dangerous, then when you set up camp, set it up, take the cover off, and you're good to go.