PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Unseen Hand (5e homebrew spell)

Kishigane
2021-05-12, 04:01 PM
I have an idea for a homebrew spell, totally not inspired by Re:Zero:

Unseen Hand
3rd level conjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Sight
Components: V S M (a drop of the caster's blood and an eyelash encased in gum arabic)
Duration: Concentration, up to 10 minutes
Classes: Warlock, Wizard

You conjure three Medium spectral hands that are invisible to all but the caster and others with a means to see invisibility (i.e. truesight, the See Invisibility spell) and are able to attack or carry objects, including people.

Each individual hand is an object that has AC 13 and 15 hit points. When a hand drops to 0 hit points, that hand disappears until the spell is cast again. Each hand has 8 (-1) Strength and 12 (+1) Dexterity. None of these hands fill their space.

When you cast the spell and as a bonus action on your subsequent turns, you can control each of the Unseen Hands independently and can perform one of its actions.

Attack: The Unseen Hand uses its caster's casting ability modifier and makes an attack roll to each hand. Each hand attacks individually, dealing 1d8 damage per hit. The damage type can be piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing as chosen by the caster. Each hand has a range of 45 feet.

Carrying: The Unseen Hand can carry up to 120 pounds on its own. Heavier objects can be carried with multiple hands; the carrying capacity turns into 120 pounds x the number of hands used.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you summon one additional Unseen Hand and all Unseen Hands' AC increase by 1 and maximum hit points increase by 2 for each slot level above 3rd.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-05-12, 04:52 PM
This needs to be toned way down. If I'm reading this right, you get up to 6d8 as a bonus action for an hour, and that's not even touching the utility. Compare it to Melf's Minute Meteors--admittedly not a top-tier 3rd level spell, but very close in effect to this one. The meteors have a shorter duration, a limited number of shots, deal less damage per shot, use a much worse damage type, and don't have any utility potential.

If you want an offensive component, I'd suggest letting the hands wield light melee weapons you're proficient in, using their own Str or Dex to attack.

Kishigane
2021-05-12, 05:37 PM
Reduced the duration to 10 minutes and damage per hand to 1d8. Also, let's not forget the hands have fairly low health compared to Bigby's Hand, even if they normal have to be attacked at disadvantage.

werescythe
2021-05-14, 09:02 PM
So the hand(s) can carry people, so since the weight one can carry is 120 pounds, does that mean that two could be used to carry a person that is 240 or less pounds? If so it might be good to mention that. :smallsmile: