PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Shifter ability wild shape and aromour

Scottlang
2021-05-12, 04:36 PM
Hi there,

I have run into a slight hurdle.

A friend of mine is playing in one of my games, and is playing a shifter. Now I am using herolab, and I am calling it's calculations into question.

He is playing a level 8 Shifter who is currently is wearing a Dragonhide Breastplate, and has a wooden heavy shield. The total AC in humanoid is form AC29

My friend has taken the ability to turn into a Emperor Cobra, and when I transform the character into the snake form on Herolab, it is keeping the defensive instinct as a +4, instead of a +7.

Now here are the two abilities:

Shifter Aspect:
At 1st level, a shifter gains her first aspect—a category of animal to which her body and soul have become supernaturally attuned. She can shift into her aspect’s minor form (see Aspects) for a number of minutes per day equal to 3 + her shifter level. The duration need not be consecutive but must be spent in 1-minute increments. Shifting into a minor form is a swift action, while ending the effect is a free action that can be taken only on the shifter’s turn. Until a shifter reaches 9th level and gains the chimeric aspect class feature, she can assume only one minor form at a time. Shifting to a new aspect (or aspects, in the case of chimeric aspects or greater chimeric aspects) ends all minor forms currently manifested. The minor forms of aspects are not polymorph effects, and the shifter does not lose the benefits of a minor form while affected by polymorph effects.

As the shifter gains levels, she gains more aspects; she gains her second aspect at 5th level, a third aspect at 10th level, and a fourth at 15th level.

Defensive Instinct (Ex):
At 2nd level, when unarmored, not using a shield, unencumbered, and conscious, the shifter adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC and CMD. If she is wearing nonmetal armor or using a nonmetal shield, she instead adds half her Wisdom bonus to her AC (minimum 0). In addition, the shifter gains a +1 bonus to her AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every 4 shifter levels thereafter (up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks and when the shifter is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless. These bonuses do not stack with the monk AC bonus class feature.

Now Herolab is choosing not to count it as a +7, but as a +4, would he still be classified as wearing the armour, while in the snake shape or not, as this would make a difference to the AC as this drops it from AC22 to AC 19.

Thank you.

Kurald Galain
2021-05-12, 05:51 PM
Yes, this is correct. If you polymorph into (e.g.) animal form, your equipment melds into your new form and continues to provide its regular benefits. Armor and shield bonuses are explicitly overridden, but if your armor gives other bonuses (e.g. Shadow armor's bonus to stealth checks) then those still apply in animal form.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/ under the polymorph subschool.