PDA

View Full Version : Ritual spells via feats.

KyleG
2021-05-12, 05:58 PM
Could a ritual spell such as identify granted by fey touched be cast as a ritual?

kaervaak
2021-05-12, 06:03 PM
No. You can only cast spells as rituals if you are a ritual caster and the spell is on your class spell list. The only exceptions are pact of the tome warlocks and those who take the ritual caster feat (well there are some other exceptions as well, but they are specific class features). Fey touched allows you to cast the spell by spending a spell slot but does not add it to your spell list.

Stabbey
2021-05-12, 06:21 PM
Fey touched allows you to cast the spell by spending a spell slot but does not add it to your spell list.

You're correct on the other stuff, but Fey Touched (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/feat:fey-touched) specifies that you can cast it once without expending a spell slot (recharges on long rest), and you can also can cast it with spell slots of the appropriate level. (I assume that means you can also upcast the spell, because any spell you cast with a slot, you can also upcast at a higher level if you have a slot.)

EDIT: The spell you get from Fey Touched is like a added to your spell list, without counting against your number of spells known... but if it isn't on your actual spell list, you can't use it for ritual casting.

ftafp
2021-05-12, 08:04 PM
You're correct on the other stuff, but Fey Touched (http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/feat:fey-touched) specifies that you can cast it once without expending a spell slot (recharges on long rest), and you can also can cast it with spell slots of the appropriate level. (I assume that means you can also upcast the spell, because any spell you cast with a slot, you can also upcast at a higher level if you have a slot.)

So practically speaking, the spell you get from Fey Touched does get added to your spell list, but does not count against your number of spells known.

practically is not literally. If it doesn't say its added to your spell list, it's not on your spell list

Segev
2021-05-13, 11:31 AM
practically is not literally. If it doesn't say its added to your spell list, it's not on your spell list

Yeah, you feature that lets you cast ritual spells will tell you which ones it applies to. A cleric/ranger can't cast alarm as a ritual spell even if he learns it from his ranger class, because clerics can only ritual cast cleric spells and alarm is a ranger spell (only) for him.

Even if he knew detect magic as a ranger spell, if he didn't have it prepared as one of his cleric spells, he couldn't ritual cast it. Clerics must have the ritual spell prepared, and ranger spells are not prepared, just known.

I think most DMs would house rule it more permissively, though.

Joe the Rat
2021-05-14, 01:44 PM
Yeah, you feature that lets you cast ritual spells will tell you which ones it applies to. A cleric/ranger can't cast alarm as a ritual spell even if he learns it from his ranger class, because clerics can only ritual cast cleric spells and alarm is a ranger spell (only) for him.

I think that gets to it simplest. Ritual casting is attached to specific Class (and feat) features. Your fey touched identify isn't a cleric spell, or a wizard spell, etc., it's a fey spell.

Sharur
2021-05-14, 06:30 PM
Could a ritual spell such as identify granted by fey touched be cast as a ritual?

Based on reading the Fey Touched feat, I wouldn't allow it, for two reasons:
1. It doesn't say that, as mentioned above, and

2. That very much devalues the Ritual Caster Feat. As it is, there is now a "trinity" of spell gaining feats.

Fey Touch: Ability Score gain and limited choice spell gain
Magic Initiate: Learn a couple of cantrips (constant use) and a single spell (essentially dipping into a spell casting class)
Ritual Caster: Learn a couple of ritual spells, and be able to learn more rituals

Greywander
2021-05-14, 06:38 PM
Technically no. It's not a class spell, so even if your class has ritual casting it wouldn't apply to spells gained via feats (except Magic Initiate, since you explicitly choose the spell from a class list) or other sources. Fey Touched also doesn't give you any ability to cast spells as rituals, either.

That said, I dislike having to keep track of such things. If it's a spell that's already on your class list, I'm fine with treating your Fey/Shadow Touched spells as class spells, including allowing ritual casting if your class has it. If the spell isn't on your class list, which is arguably one of the reasons to take Fey/Shadow Touched in the first place, then I wouldn't allow it.

As it is, there is now a "trinity" of spell gaining feats.

Fey Touch: Ability Score gain and limited choice spell gain
Magic Initiate: Learn a couple of cantrips (constant use) and a single spell (essentially dipping into a spell casting class)
Ritual Caster: Learn a couple of ritual spells, and be able to learn more rituals
Don't forget Shadow Touched. Or Aberrant Dragonmark. Or Artificer Initiate.