PDA

View Full Version : Clear your inbox, Ludic!

quindraco
2021-05-12, 09:44 PM
Ludic, your inbox is too full for new messages, and I misplaced the parentheses in the formula I sent you. Correct formula is here (for those of you wondering, it's for calculating the DPR of elemental adept when applied to a save for half spell that may contain arbitrary damage dice, like 3d6 + 1d8 or whatever):

P = 4^four*6^six*.....
n = sum(four,six,eight,ten,twelve)
Odds of odd number: (P/2-2^(n-1))/P = 1/2 - (2^(n-1))/P
Odds of even number = 1/2 + (2^(n-1))/P

I'm not good enough at combinatorics to prove this formula with rigor, but it's held true for every test case I can think of.

javianhalt
2021-05-13, 06:58 AM
This could become the "Official Ludic Inbox thread" 🤣

quindraco
2021-05-13, 09:42 AM
I'm on board.

Ludic, if you see this, I implemented the necessary logic in cell D228:

=IF(B11+E11+H11+K11+N11=0,FLOOR(D225/2),D225/2 - if(I24,1+if(mod(Q11,2),1,-1)/product(2^B11,3^E11,4^H11,5^K11,6^N11),1)/4)

Cell D234 confuses the heck out of me, so I didn't implement it. The product bit needs every die in it, so e.g. 2^(B11+B33), and the mod bit needs all static bonuses in it, so Q11+Q33, to calculate "first hit" damage separately, but D234 doesn't work that way. So it's confusing. Also, there aren't any abilities I know of that would work for "first hit" in a save sense, because the caster doesn't generally get to know whether a save was made or not when rolling damage. You'd need an ability that specifically added a failed save rider of damage to one failed save of a spell. Does that even exist? The example the cell gives is Empowered Evocation, which doesn't work that way. If you cast a spell that sequentially inflicts save or damage, you generally can't hold onto your Empowered until you see if targets save or not. You have to pick which roll to apply it to before finding out if the target(s) saved. So you don't hold onto the damage until the save fails, you just only apply the damage once.

PhantomSoul
2021-05-13, 08:24 PM
This could become the "Official Ludic Inbox thread" 🤣

A great thread became greater =D

JonBeowulf
2021-05-13, 10:40 PM
I don't have access to the spreadsheet in question so have no idea what you're even talking about... yet I find myself drawn to this thread (so far). Please post more of these "details".

Seramus
2021-05-13, 11:17 PM
Please do not lock this thread. Allow it to blossom into incoherent technical jargon and greatness!

quindraco
2021-05-13, 11:51 PM
I don't have access to the spreadsheet in question so have no idea what you're even talking about... yet I find myself drawn to this thread (so far). Please post more of these "details".

Ludic did put it up for everyone to enjoy, I'm just helping him patch a bug in how the Saves tab handles Elemental Adept. Here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14WlZE_UKwn3Vhv4i8ewVOc-f2-A7tMW_VRum_p3YNHQ/edit#gid=151780215

LudicSavant
2021-05-14, 12:07 AM
Ludic, your inbox is too full for new messages

Pffft, it's because you guys keep sending me such lovely messages! TOO MANY OF THEM! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: I have space open in my inbox... for now. I'm not sure how long that will last...