PDA

View Full Version : Unpopular Music Opinions

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-11, 10:46 PM
You know them. They're opinions you have that would get you lynched if you spoke them in polite company (that is, people who actually know what they're talking about when it comes to music).

So, what opinions do you have that would be very unpopular in certain musical circles?

(Note: "The Beatles are overrated" is taken as a given. If you must say it, try to add at least one other opinion along with it. :smallwink:)

I'll go:

—Slayer, Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, and, in fact, pretty much every modern metal band that I have come across are not only overrated, but boring.

—A guitar solo does not make the song, and is often worse than the song itself, because it emphasizes how bad a song has to be to need a random guitar solo. Hendrix knew how to make it interesting by pairing great songwriting and musicianship. Clapton does on occasion. Page, Van Halen, Slash (especially), Angus Young, and any number of other "guitar heroes" don't and their bands suffer greatly because of it (GnR especially).

—Did I mention how particularly full of suck Guns 'n' Roses is? And not just because of Axl.

—Pink Floyd had exactly two good albums: Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here. The two others you're probably thinking of are the most overrated albums of all time.

—The White Stripes are not the pinnacle of invention. In fact, they're pretty damn traditional and Jack just annoys me.

—While their first two albums are no doubt the actual pinnacle of invention, unlike ^, The Velvet Underground were better after Cale left.

SDF
2007-11-11, 10:54 PM
I'll agree with the modern metal (especially dragonforce)

I do love my White Stripes though :P

Um... lets see... I'll start out with one.

-Nirvana: Generic and uninspired. Others have done it earlier and better, and all the clones they've inspired are just tripe.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-11, 11:10 PM
Avril Lavigne has written less bad songs than Bob Dylan.
Seriously.
Bob Dylan has written some terrible music. She's just average and dull.

Catch
2007-11-11, 11:14 PM
I've already spoken my peace about the Beatles, so I'll just skip that particular harangue.

- Bruce Springsteen just isn't the songwriter everyone claims him to be. Every time a Bob Seger song comes on the radio, Springsteen should hang his head in shame.

- Metallica, for the most part, does absolutely nothing for me. Not that I have any particular aversion to their songs, just that I'm not star-struck.

- I really can't get into the Ramones. I know, I'm supposed to love them for the punk rock icons they were, yet a lot of their tracks are repetitive, atonal and relatively boring.

- I'm sick of hearing about how No Doubt "made" the third-wave ska revival of the '90's and I'm equally sick of Gwen Stefani. No one mentions the Mighty Mighty Bosstones or Sublime, Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake. It's saddening, really.

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-11, 11:15 PM
Seriously.

True, but that's just because she's written fewer songs. :smallwink:

Addendum: 80s-era Dylan is very underrated.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-11, 11:20 PM
I'm a fan of Good Charlotte.

You can see why I can't say that out loud.

Lemur
2007-11-11, 11:30 PM
I listen to Duran Duran from time to time.

I definitely agree about Dragonforce. All of their songs sound the same. Kinda like Green Day.

A lot of punk sounds alike to me. Some of it is definitely interesting (like the Ramones, for example), but most of what I hear is pretty bland.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-11, 11:31 PM
Bruce Springsteen just isn't the songwriter everyone claims him to be. Every time a Bob Seger song comes on the radio, Springsteen should hang his head in shame.

I've really gotta disagree. At least with the every. I mean, Old Time Rock N' Roll seriously trumps Thunder Road/Atlantic City/For You/Jungleland/Born to Run? I could take liking the average Seger more, but Springsteen's written some great songs, and Seger some not very good songs.

ZRS: A smaller percentage, as well. People get so lost in Bob Dylan's image that they miss that the lyrics are a bunch of cliche rhymes that don't really end up meaning anything when you listen to the song all the way through.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-11, 11:34 PM
True, but that's just because she's written fewer songs.

-Avril Lavigne is awesome. (I know a few people who would lynch me for that, though not everyone). I saw her live three weeks ago in Monterrey, though, and I have to say: she is AMAZING.

-Britney Spears had talent (she did before she was famous).

-Utada Hikaru > Shakira

Catch
2007-11-11, 11:37 PM
I've really gotta disagree. At least with the every. I mean, Old Time Rock N' Roll seriously trumps Thunder Road/Atlantic City/For You/Jungleland/Born to Run? I could take liking the average Seger more, but Springsteen's written some great songs, and Seger some not very good songs.

Old Time Rock and Roll is certainly a catchy song, but that's not the kind of writing I was talking about. It's songs like Against the Wind, Night Moves, Like a Rock and Turn the Page that really speak.

mause
2007-11-11, 11:43 PM
-Avril Lavigne is awesome. (I know a few people who would lynch me for that, though not everyone). I saw her live three weeks ago in Monterrey, though, and I have to say: she is AMAZING.

-Britney Spears had talent (she did before she was famous).

-Utada Hikaru > Shakira

You live in Mexico? :smallconfused:

come on Avril Lavigne has always been like a mini Alanis morriset I mean she has no real creativity at all

Semidi
2007-11-11, 11:55 PM
I don't understand the appeal of Radio Head. I find them tremendously boring. I liked what they did with their recent album, that had balls. Big ones. But the music…

—The White Stripes are not the pinnacle of invention. In fact, they're pretty damn traditional and Jack just annoys me.

Agreed, 100%.

Haruki-kun
2007-11-11, 11:55 PM
You live in Mexico? :smallconfused:

come on Avril Lavigne has always been like a mini Alanis morriset I mean she has no real creativity at all

Yeah, I live in Mexico.

And.......... I have no idea who Alanis Morriset is. *sweatdrop*

and yet, I think Utada Hikaru > Shakira.

Setra
2007-11-12, 12:03 AM
I think Utada Hikaru > Shakira.
I agree!

-I like Linkin Park

-I like Dragonforce

-I like Offspring

JDMSJR
2007-11-12, 12:41 AM
Jim Morrison was a third rate poet with delusions of grandeur who managed to pass off being drunk/high as being deep.

I don't really like anything by the Rolling Stones.

I can't stand Prince!! He is not the ultra talented uber artist so many people think he is!:smallfurious:

Kjata
2007-11-12, 01:45 AM
I like rap the best.
Music from before 1985 doesn't interest me.
The best music same out in 2005-2006. Namely, rap.

Amotis
2007-11-12, 01:57 AM
Yeah, rap seems to be the unpopular music opinion in forums like these and in general higher up (read: pseudo elitist) music places. I hate trying to talk popular music with the majority of the people in the music department. It's frustrating to hear "Yeah, rap is crap" as a mantra.

But I like rap. Love it. Hip hop has fast grown to be one of my favorite genres. 'Course you have to weed out (a lot of) stuff but you gotta do that with everything.

Also, GY!BE isn't the win all omg only post rock band to exist. Yeah they had a wonderful talent and mood/texture/feel to them that I have only heard emulated and done by a few bands after their breakup...but still. I hate seeing people's only post rock intake being GY!BE and Explosions in the Sky. I love them both...but post rock ain't just two bands! Especially two bands with easily definable sounds! Post rock is anything but.

Also, I don't like 3rd gen Ska for the most part.

Setra
2007-11-12, 02:17 AM
To be fair a lot of it IS crap, I'm not saying all of it, but when the lyrics consists of "*expletive expletive* Yo' mom *explitive*" or somesuch, there isn't much to be said for its musical value.

Of course the rap that ISN'T like that usually just isn't my taste, though there are a few rap songs I like.

The funny thing is saying that could also be considered an Unpopular musical opinion depending on where you are.

Jefepato
2007-11-12, 02:25 AM
Bob Dylan is just awful, and I can't figure out why anybody likes him.

I actually like a lot of Top 40 music.

Evanescence is really good.

I don't actually think the Beatles are overrated, but their ratio of good songs to not-so-good songs was pretty weak compared to many other great bands. The White Album was particularly bad.

The Rolling Stones had quite a few songs I like, but Mick Jagger cannot and never could sing worth a damn.

Amotis
2007-11-12, 02:25 AM
I can box almost all genres into a few phrases. Let's guess them! Distorted Detuned Power Chords! Four On The Floor! The Faster Our Solo The Bigger Our Manhood! Let's Have Crappy Mics To Sound Intimate! Watch Our Drummer Solo! G-D-C! G-D-C! We're Angry! Marshall Stacks! Rock 'N Roll! Space Noises! Original Images! I Do Weird Things To My Voice! Let's Sample A Foreign Movie! Dynamics Are New And We Must Use Them Always! 60 MINUTE SOOOOOOONGS!

See?

SDF
2007-11-12, 02:31 AM
I can box almost all genres into a few phrases. Let's guess them! Distorted Detuned Power Chords! Four On The Floor! The Faster Our Solo The Bigger Our Manhood! Let's Have Crappy Mics To Sound Intimate! Watch Our Drummer Solo! G-D-C! G-D-C! We're Angry! Marshall Stacks! Rock 'N Roll! Space Noises! Original Images! I Do Weird Things To My Voice! Let's Sample A Foreign Movie! Dynamics Are New And We Must Use Them Always! 60 MINUTE SOOOOOOONGS!

See?

My truck broke down so I hit my wife until she shot my dog! :smallbiggrin: That's fun...

I totally agree with the post rock bit. There is a lot of good postrock out there that is marginalized by the success of Godspeed You! and EitS.

And there is a LOT of good rap out there. Even the local scene here in Idaho has some gems.

Jerthanis
2007-11-12, 04:34 AM
- Nothing in the world makes me change my radio station faster than hearing the phrase, "Next up: Led Zeppelin", I'll sit through "Pretty Fly for a White Guy" and "Her Milkshake brings all the boys to the yard" (or whatever that song is called) faster than anything by Zeppelin. I can't figure out why anyone likes them.

- While I personally don't enjoy very much rap, I respect it a great deal. I respect those who can rap with proficiency more than I respect those who produce Pop music, even if I enjoy pop more. (My definition of Pop includes Rock, as Rock & Roll is popular, thus is Pop music...whatever.)

- Synthesizers are perfectly legitimate musical instruments, and are totally awesome.

Hoggy
2007-11-12, 05:07 AM
Beatles overrated.

Dylan overrated.

Metallica underrated.

Eminem underrated.

Rutee
2007-11-12, 05:18 AM
- I like Coheed and Cambria. There, I said it.

(Is that popular or unpopular? I only know one other person who does as well >.>)

Hoggy
2007-11-12, 05:20 AM
I'm listening to Coheed & Cambria right now. Justice in Murder 'n all that.

WhatIsGravity
2007-11-12, 05:37 AM
I've always thought of music as being similiar to religion. You will meet someone whose taste in music you find totally absurd and wonder how it's even possible they like it. This also applies to everything else in life.

That said, there's no genre of music I don't like. I've had a huge overhaul in musical taste though, when I matured. Before, I was listening to whatever was popular at that time, instead of actively seeking out tracks I actually like.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 05:52 AM
Meg White can't play the drums. Corollary: The White Stripes suck. They suck the same way Jackson Pollock sucked, or that guy who did Starry Night.

I consider the Offspring pretty good punk.

My favorite Radiohead album is the one with Creep on it.

I don't get Pink Floyd.

Emperor Ing
2007-11-12, 05:58 AM
-guys. Shut up, and stop lying to yourselves. THE CLASH SUCK!!! get over it!! :smallfurious:

-there is no such thing as an origonal hip-hop song

-MTV seriously sold out. (okay, so its not THAT unpopular,)

FdL
2007-11-12, 06:08 AM
Yay!!! Music thread, like those I like! ^^
Will get more into it later, but for now, after a quick read:

Also, GY!BE isn't the win all omg only post rock band to exist. Yeah they had a wonderful talent and mood/texture/feel to them that I have only heard emulated and done by a few bands after their breakup...but still. I hate seeing people's only post rock intake being GY!BE and Explosions in the Sky. I love them both...but post rock ain't just two bands! Especially two bands with easily definable sounds! Post rock is anything but.

I might be getting old, cause I thought the classic defining band for post rock talk was Tortoise.

CrazedGoblin
2007-11-12, 06:23 AM
To be fair a lot of it IS crap, I'm not saying all of it, but when the lyrics consists of "*expletive expletive* Yo' mom *explitive*" or somesuch, there isn't much to be said for its musical value.

my opinion to

Catch
2007-11-12, 07:20 AM
- I like Coheed and Cambria. There, I said it.

(Is that popular or unpopular? I only know one other person who does as well >.>)

Nothing wrong with Coheed, not at all.

Also, add another tally mark to the folks who like rap. Sure, there's a lot of lousy rappers but I've found that the rap scene runs parallel to the rock charts as well. Relatively untalented and formulaic music lands high on the charts, underground groups are underrated and ignored. Most of the rap you'll hear on the radio is of the "Bitches 'n Hos" sort, yet the best rap is often far more lyrical and intellectual.

Aesop Rock, Jedi Mind Tricks, MF Doom, Public Enemy, etc.

EDIT: Lousy forum. Lost (and found) my post three times.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-12, 08:12 AM
-guys. Shut up, and stop lying to yourselves. THE CLASH SUCK!!! get over it!! :smallfurious:

-there is no such thing as an origonal hip-hop song

-MTV seriously sold out. (okay, so its not THAT unpopular,)

*clears his throat*
AHAHA...AHAH...aha..ah...Funny, funny stuff. Anyways, to counteract that statement, I would like to present to the jury:

Aesop Rock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aesop_Rock)
Atmosphere (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmosphere_(music_group))
Illogic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illogic_(rapper))
El-P (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El-P)

Not all rap is crap, not all rap sounds the same. Pop music is the voice of the Big Corporations & the government, kiddies, remember that. Hasn't Rage Against the Machine & Public Enemy taught y'all that yet?

My unpopular musical opinions:

-Dragonforce are crap. They're fast, not talented, big difference.
-Reel Big Fish is still better than Gwen Stefani & No Doubt.
-Metallica. Sold. Out.
-I liked Jason Mraz and consider him to be more than a one-hit wonder.
-KISS bores me to tears. The last thing I want to do when I hear KISS is rock & roll all night, especially if that is the music that's going to be playing.
-Slipknot... (gods, I can't believe I used to like these guys *looks down at his Iowa cd/coaster*) just because I'm originally from Iowa does not meant I'm a fan, quit asking me if I know Corey. Joey whathisname is not the best drummer in the world.
-Lars Ulrich is not the best drummer in the world.
-Despite the fact I liked their first two albums, Tool was not the most innovative band in the world, and like Nirvana people think way too highly of them.
-Primus: Best. Band. Ever.
-Foo Fighters > Nirvana.

Edit: Forgot one major one:

-Run DMC is still probably the best rap group. Seriously.

Who's House? Run's House...

Jorkens
2007-11-12, 08:30 AM
Also, add another tally mark to the folks who like rap. Sure, there's a lot of lousy rappers but I've found that the rap scene runs parallel to the rock charts as well. Relatively untalented and formulaic music lands high on the charts, underground groups are underrated and ignored. Most of the rap you'll hear on the radio is of the "Bitches 'n Hos" sort, yet the best rap is often far more lyrical and intellectual.
Actually, I'll go one step more unpopular and say that IMO, a lot of rap that's dumb as a box of rocks in terms of content is actually really exciting in terms of everything else - the flow, the beats, the energy, the vibe, the rhymes.... There are lots of exceptions, but a lot of underground / alternative people are too stuck on trying to sound like Quest or Eric and Rak or just don't seem to have the same urgency as some of the best of the less 'aware' rappers and producers

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-12, 08:37 AM
I've always thought of music as being similiar to religion. You will meet someone whose taste in music you find totally absurd and wonder how it's even possible they like it. This also applies to everything else in life.

I completely agree with you, which is why for the most part I completely avoid real-life musical discussions like the plauge.

I don't get Pink Floyd.

I'm not sure this is an unpopular music opinion - saying you don't get Pink Floyd will have people pity you, not want to lynch you.

Wow ... there's a number of statements here I really want to debate, but I don't want to sidetrack this thread into a musical flamewar. Instead, I'll limit myself to this comment: regarding the comment that Avril Lavigne has written fewer bad songs than Bob Dylan, that's true. But don't forget that A) she has written a lot fewer songs than he has (as someone pointed out), B) he has written a lot more better songs than she has, and C) we don't know that she really writes her own songs :smallwink: (I'm pretty sure that last statement could count as an unpopular musical opinion in some circles).

Anyway, some unpopular musical opinions of my own:

- Even though I enjoy both bands (and Wish You Were Here is one of my favourite songs), Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are both overrated.

- Nirvana is extremely overrated.

- Rush does not contain three of the greatest musicians of all time. Also, they are overrated.

- Including a cowbell in a song cannot mask its other deficiencies.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-12, 08:45 AM
- Including a cowbell in a song cannot mask its other deficienies [sic].

But still makes it better than all songs that don't include cowbells.

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-12, 08:51 AM
Ooh, here's another one I forgot: Stairway To Heaven is a mediocre song at best.

Setra
2007-11-12, 08:54 AM
Krypteria is better than everyone. Yes, even them. :smalltongue:

Tengu
2007-11-12, 11:35 AM
Rage Against the Machine is total crap.

Beatles are overrated. :tongue:

I really like most openings and endings to anime I've seen.

I find this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nvu1KK1DPQ) clip to be all kinds of awesome.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-12, 12:18 PM
Old Time Rock and Roll is certainly a catchy song, but that's not the kind of writing I was talking about. It's songs like Against the Wind, Night Moves, Like a Rock and Turn the Page that really speak.
Yeah, that's why I was just saying every might've been an exaggeration. Personally, I prefer Springsteen, but most of which of them you prefer probably comes down to your background.

Jim Morrison was a third rate poet with delusions of grandeur who managed to pass off being drunk/high as being deep.

I don't think anything that Lester Bangs has said counts as unpopular.

Totally Guy
2007-11-12, 12:35 PM
I've never really understood any music. I've bought 2 CDs, and I've downloaded 1 album. And those were soundtracks to TV.

It's a very unpopular opinion.

Castaras
2007-11-12, 12:51 PM
—Pink Floyd had exactly two good albums: Piper at the Gates of Dawn and Wish You Were Here. The two others you're probably thinking of are the most overrated albums of all time.

I was thinking of Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon. Although I've only heard those two, so that probably doesn't count. :smalltongue:

Might have to put Piper at the Gates of Dawn as another album for me to get for Christmas...

Other than the "Beatles is Overrated!" stuff, can't really think of anything else that I would get shot for here...I can think of stuff that I would get shot for at school though..."Rock over Pop any day", "My Chemical Romance isn't exactly the greatest band evar", "Metal without any actual tune behind it isn't that good"...

commander43
2007-11-12, 12:54 PM
Bob Marley is extremely overrated. Hello? Toots and the Maytals? Burning Spear? His career with the Wailers that was way better?

I don't like the Ramones. Everything the Ramones did, the New York Dolls did better. Everything the Ramones didn't do was done by the Clash, to better effect.

AC/DC is bad, Guns and Roses are bad....

I detest Pink Floyd. Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols wore a T-Shirt that said "I hate Pink Floyd." I should probably do the same thing, though it wouldn't exactly be controversial today.

I don't really like any of the Prog Rock bands in general. I like my rock operas.....if they happen to be by The Who. And not anyone else.

Also, Queen sucks.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-11-12, 12:56 PM
Led Zeppelin - rubbish.

Now come and lynch me, Zep fans!

Mephisto
2007-11-12, 01:22 PM
—Slayer, Blind Guardian, Dragonforce, and, in fact, pretty much every modern metal band that I have come across are not only overrated, but boring.

Listen to Mastodon, then. :smalltongue:

Hell yes. Agreed.

Also, Jay-Z is freakin' terrible. His lyrics are the most amazingly shallow garbage I've ever heard. "Hey, look at me, I'm rich! I do drugs, I'm such a gangsta, I'm the best rapper ever!"

zeratul
2007-11-12, 01:22 PM
Okay time for some fun

-The Beatles are overrated
-MCR really isn't all that great
-Dragonforce is the poor man's Blind Guardian (although they're not bad)
-Good rap is an oximoron (accept the beastie boys, and RATM)
-and lastly.............................COURTNEY KILLED KURT!!!

Setra
2007-11-12, 01:24 PM
-Dragonforce is the poor man's Blind Guardian
I like Dragonforce more than Blind Guardian

zeratul
2007-11-12, 01:26 PM
I like Dragonforce more than Blind Guardian

I'm not saying they're bad, just overrated, and not as good as BG. I don't like Dragonforce's vocalist's voice much.

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-12, 01:27 PM
Hey now, I love DragonForce, not because Herman Li totally rocks, but because the lyrics are epic, and the singer can sing in a ton of different harmonics.

- Velvet Revolver, a band full of superstars, and they utterly suck.

- Slash, he's suppous to be a "guitar hero" but, compared to Eddy Van Helen, Eric Clapton and many others, he's full of suck

- An example of good rap is MC Lars. Deal with it, he's smart enough to have intelligent rap

- An also, on DragonForce. They're selling out in Megadomes and making millions a year. If they're doing that, a lot of people MUST think they're talented! OWNED!!

Setra
2007-11-12, 01:28 PM
I'm not saying they're bad, just overrated, and not as good as BG. I don't like Dragonforce's vocalist's voice much.
From what I've seen here not many people like them.

Not very overrated to me.

valadil
2007-11-12, 01:34 PM
Toss in another vote for not getting Radiohead, RatM, or the Beatles. Oh and I'll agree that Dragonforce needs to learn a second song to play (they're talented at playing instruments, not at writing songs). And while I'm at it, Dane Cook is worthless as a comedian. He's got charisma I'll give him that, but he needs to get off myspace and write some actual jokes.

(And I thought this was for unpopular musical opinions. There seems to be a lot of agreeing going on in here.)

Timberwolf
2007-11-12, 01:42 PM
And another for not really liking Radiohead. You can add the Stereophonics to that list too.

Throughout school, I used to hate the Spice girls with a passion normally reserved for football (as in the real kind with the round ball where it's illegal to pick it up with your hands and carry it.) This was incredibly unpopular at the time because unless you loved them and wanted to have their babies, you were a social outcast.

Then there's Incubus, a group I despise, plus pretty much anything that's played on radio 1 right now or indeed any station beyond the classic rock ones and Classic FM.

Edit. Lostprophets. Seriously, All I ever hear from them is that one riff, bom de bombom bom bom de bom bom RAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!. I'm sure they have done some other stuff as well as cloning the same song and I would love them to play it.

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-12, 03:21 PM
Incubis is awesome. Stellar is one of my all time favor songs.

Also, Spin Doctors PWN

Smeik
2007-11-12, 03:39 PM
- If you sit down and search for it, you can find good music you like in every genre. Yes, even rap, black metal and swedish folk.

- KISS, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin are more than just overrated.

- A good Metal Album must stand a comparison to an opera.

- Edguy and Hammerfall are better Power Metal *ducks out of side*

Sebastian Bux
2007-11-12, 03:57 PM
Man it's hard to keep my mouth shut in this thread ...

Okay, I have something:
- A large portion of the population doesn't understand enough about music to really "get" why certain bands or genres are given the clout in the music industry that they have.

- I LOVE Type O Negative ... I don't know if that's unpopular ... but I do.

- I prefer the Beatles over Elvis

- I get Led Zepplin (even though I'm not a fan of their music, except Stairway, which I can't explain to you why I like it, but I do).

- I dislike Country a lot ... which is to say I may hate it. I think I know why you (as in you who like country) like it, but I'll never see the charm. I still voted for Carie Underwood to win American Idol, though. I didn't like her music, but she was the best singer of that season. Okay .. THAT's probably the most unpopular thing I've said thus far!

- I do hate Gangsta rap. I think the N word has no place in the English language, no matter how you choose to say it. Is it good music? People like that S, but I don't identify with it at all.

Heineken
2007-11-12, 04:30 PM
I can´t stand Audioslave. When they split up all of my friends fell into a deep depression. I don´t understand them... Chris Cornell can´t even sing...

darkblade
2007-11-12, 04:38 PM
@^ Best simi ever

I will get lynched here...

-All genres have at least one good band or if not at least a song

-Slipknot is pretty good but most other people who like them take it to far they are not gods people alright

-Folk music is dismissed way to easily

-Audioslave was a joke compared to RAtM and The Nightwatchman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nightwatchman)

-I personally agree with Tom Morello's quote "A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cops and set fire to the suburbs." Its not what the music sounds like to me but what the lyrics mean more than anything else.

Redpieper
2007-11-12, 05:14 PM
Rage Against the Machine is total crap.

Beatles are overrated. :tongue:

I really like most openings and endings to anime I've seen.

I find this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=-nvu1KK1DPQ) clip to be all kinds of awesome.

question here: Do you know who/what made that song? I like it :smallwink:

Also I like Rhapsody (of fire) and Eternal Tears of Sorrow (I haven't the faintest clue if that's unpopular. But everyone I talked to about them, hadn't heard of them)

zeratul
2007-11-12, 06:35 PM

I love hammerfall, they're my second favourite metal band (BG being my favourite)

The Extinguisher
2007-11-12, 06:43 PM
I've got a few more.

- Screamo music takes talent.
- The Sex Pistols and the Ramones, as much as they did for the genre, we're terrible.
- Fiddle > Cowbell
- There are only a handful of "lolrebel" punk bands that are any good at it. The rest are just too stuck up thier own asses with thier 'messages'
- Bush-bashing does not a good song make.

These all seem to make me hated.

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-12, 07:39 PM
Less unpopular than obscure, but it must be said: Voltaire and Muse need way, way more recognition of their pwnge.

Semidi
2007-11-12, 07:54 PM
Less unpopular than obscure, but it must be said: Voltaire and Muse need way, way more recognition of their pwnge.

Voltaire is too cult to become popular. It's really is sad because he's a great vocalist.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-12, 08:19 PM
Ooh, here's another one I forgot: Stairway To Heaven is a mediocre song at best.

THANK YOU. I like most of Led Zeppelin, but Stairway to Heaven just isn't a good song. At all. I just don't see why anyone thinks it's great. The lyrics are good but not amazing, and nothing else in it is anything special.

Run DMC is still probably the best rap group. Seriously.

Who's House? Run's House...

Agreed. They're one of very few rap groups that I can tolerate. *insert generic moralizing rant about rap here*

I've got a few more.

- Screamo music takes talent.
- The Sex Pistols and the Ramones, as much as they did for the genre, we're terrible.
- Fiddle > Cowbell
- There are only a handful of "lolrebel" punk bands that are any good at it. The rest are just too stuck up thier own asses with thier 'messages'
- Bush-bashing does not a good song make.

These all seem to make me hated.

Agreed. I like some political songs, but it would be nice if there were political songs from more than one perspective. "Down with the system! Greed is bad! Let's all protect the environment! Everyone over the age of 40 is conspiring against us! Everyone should be unique and authentic!" I might appreciate rebellious bands if they were actually rebelling, instead of fitting in with dominant cultural ideals.

Let's see...

Unintelligible growling lyrics do not make good metal.
Intelligible growling lyrics do, in fact, sound good.
Most "experimental" music is experimental for a reason. Namely, because it doesn't sound good at all.
Profanity often makes a song better. Not always, and it depends on the song, but often it does.
Emo music isn't necessarily bad.
Just because a band is obscure doesn't mean it's better than mainstream bands.
Why does it matter if a band "sells out?" If their music still sounds good, keep listening to it. If not, find another band. Becoming more rich or popular doesn't make a band worse.

Jorkens
2007-11-12, 09:01 PM
Bob Marley is extremely overrated. Hello? Toots and the Maytals? Burning Spear? His career with the Wailers that was way better?
Yes! Hurrah! I find it slightly sad when people say they "love reggae" but can't actually name an artist beyond Bob Marley. Not saying he's bad - imo he's very good - but there's a lot more to reggae than you hear on his Island albums. As I understand it, pretty much nothing he recorded after Trenchtown Rock had any noticeable impact on the core reggae audience ie the jamaicans in the dancehalls.

Megalomaniac2
2007-11-12, 09:03 PM
Voltaire is too cult to become popular. It's really is sad because he's a great vocalist.

Personally, I love him less for the vocals and more for the ability to make a cheerful, danceable folk song ABOUT DECAPITATION. So awesome.

Raistlin1040
2007-11-12, 09:16 PM
I'm a huge Beatles fan, but yeah, they're overrated.

Elvis: Overrated

Country music is terrible. It's all the same, and it's total crap 24/7.

Slash is cool (Looks like it'd get me lynched here anyway.)

Clapton: Overrated.

Adding a million effects to a guitar isn't cool unless the band is good. (I'm looking at you Tom Morello and RATM! Take some lessons from The Edge and U2)

de-trick
2007-11-12, 09:20 PM
billy talent is overrated

zeratul
2007-11-12, 09:31 PM

That is very true, I love voltaire, and liked the muse I've heard.

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-12, 09:44 PM

Voltaire = nothing special. "Sexy Data Tango" = stupid.

Listen to Mastodon, then. :smalltongue:

BOOOORINGGG!

"Rap sucks" and "country sucks" are not unpopular opinions, at least not here. They're the classic opinions for elitists to take on music. Really. The point of this thread is to get the elitists mad. :smallwink:

The problem with music is that nowhere is Sturgeon's Law (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main.SturgeonsLaw) more prominent, yet ignored. So you get people ignoring the 90% crap and insisting that an entire genre is awesome, or ignoring the 10% awesome and insisting that an entire genre is crap.

One more opinion:

—Tori Amos's covers are uniformly better than the originals.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-12, 11:14 PM
Got some more to share, but first! For the people talking about Muse... better live, believe me. Big Day Out 2007, I sat through My freakin' Chemical Romance to make sure I didn't lose my seat for when Muse came on. When I heard the beginning to Knights of Cydonia, it was all over. I can't believe they aren't more popular.

-Fiona Apple's version of Across The Universe is better than the Beatles' . By leagues. Pretty much anything Fiona Apple does is solid gold goodness.
-(One for other folks living in Australia like myself) Wolfmother & Jet are not the greatest bands that ever came out of Australia. Nor is Jimmy Barnes.
-Clutch > Metallica
-Mastodon > Metallica
-Belly Button Lint > Metallica
-Johnny Cash sang Hurt better than Trent Reznor could ever possibly consider doing.
-Even though I consider him a great artist in his own right, and love his last two albums unabashedly, Trent Reznor needs to stop his freaking whining. Yes, drugs messed you up. Yes, you had a hard childhood. Yes, God has abandoned you... shut up! Go swim in your money, it will make you feel a lot better.
-Coldplay... Get over it. They're not that good. In fact,they're ridiculously mediocre. Also, Chris Martin is a tool. period.
-Iron Maiden... whilst I love them unconditionally, and can't wait to see them live in February, they are not the greatest ever metal band.
-Tenacious D... You like sex and Dio, we got it the first time.
-Justin Timberlake is actually talented, and has a great sense of humour, deal with it.
-Tupac Shakur... He's been dead for what now, 10 years? And he's still releasing songs... The milk dried up form this udder long ago folks, let's move to the next corpse.
-Country music has been full of suck since Johnny Cash died.
-Audioslave is the antithesis of synergy. The whole is less than the sum of it's parts. How can you take two great bands and turn them into... that... thing.
-Tom Jones was and still is a better artist than Elvis.

These are just some of many of my extremely unpopular musical views and/ or opinions. I will stop blaspheming and ranting in front of people now.

turkishproverb
2007-11-12, 11:33 PM
Unpopular musical opinions?

Modern metal is almost entirely boring.

Mozart was not better than bethoven

The beattles were NOT overrated.

Thats three.

Semidi
2007-11-13, 12:32 AM
Unpopular musical opinions?

Mozart was not better than bethoven

That's not unpopular. Beethoven is considered the pinnacle of the classical style. Really, the only thing Mozart could do better than Beethoven is opera. Well that and composing at a young age and dying at a similarly young age.

Setra
2007-11-13, 01:15 AM
I loathe Christmas music.

turkishproverb
2007-11-13, 02:04 AM

Don't make me pull a football out from under you baldheaded little friend.

That's not unpopular. Beethoven is considered the pinnacle of the classical style. Really, the only thing Mozart could do better than Beethoven is opera. Well that and composing at a young age and dying at a similarly young age.

You'd be surprised how much "Classical music" afficianado's like to reverse that, actually. Beating on Beethoven is a hobby of thiers, it seems.

CharlieSmiles
2007-11-13, 02:16 AM
I prefer Tchaikovsky

Setra
2007-11-13, 03:35 AM
Don't make me pull a football out from under you baldheaded little friend.
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Jerthanis
2007-11-13, 04:32 AM
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I'm no peanuts expert, but a common joke in Peanuts is that Lucy would pull up the football at the last second, causing Charlie Brown to trip and fall. I'm assuming Charlie Brown also hated Christmas songs. A sentiment I actually share. You hear the same stupid songs sung every year, and no one cares that the songs actually suck because they're about Christmas, and for all the movies about the true meaning of Christmas, it's clear none of them ever mention the importance of non-ear-piercingly bad music.

I liked them all as a kid, now I've heard them all too many times.

ElfLad
2007-11-13, 04:59 AM
-Nirvana is a good band. Accept it already. I pity anybody who cannot enjoy All Apologies.

-George was the only Beatle with a solo career worth a damn for longer than a year.

-Rage Against the Machine has dull, repetitive songs and awful lyrics.

-Brian Wilson was a fantastic composer, but an utterly mediocre songwriter. Yes, this includes Pet Sounds.

-Jimmy Eat World is the only mainstream emo band worth listening to. Mostly because their songwriter grasps the concept of emotions besides "whiny."

FdL
2007-11-13, 06:12 AM
Someone mentioned Foo Fighters as being better than Nirvana. He should reconsider what he's posted.

One thing is to say stuff to "get the elitists mad". A different thing is to have this thread fill with frankly stupid comments.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-13, 06:23 AM

That's because Christmas is the time where music buyers go insane and purchase tat.

Nobody likes Christmas music.

Except old Christmas carols. Those aren't any worse than the rest of the stuff you sing in Church.

Tengu
2007-11-13, 06:36 AM

Also I like Rhapsody (of fire) and Eternal Tears of Sorrow (I haven't the faintest clue if that's unpopular. But everyone I talked to about them, hadn't heard of them)

Some Japanese, I'd guess. Not that it's much of a help...

And I like Rhapsody too. Though I prefer their heroic songs to those gothy ones.

And I like Hammerfall too.

Smeik
2007-11-13, 08:54 AM
I remembered one more:

Most Covers are better than there originals, as long as it doesn't involve too many synthesizers.
As a side effect of this: Although Christmas songs really suck, they get better when turned into metal/punk/gothic.

webgem
2007-11-13, 09:24 AM
Well, if it is to anger "elitests" I'll have to come right out with this one. Despite loving all kinds of heavy metal to some degree or another, mainstream (metallica), or nonmainstream (Kamelot...hasn't been mentioned yet, but I love them way more than Dragonforce, Blind Guardian, or just about anybody), I actually still have a Savage Garden CD in my car that gets regular rotation. For some reason I like them, it's almost soothing after all of the harder stuff.

dehro
2007-11-13, 10:00 AM
no musician, songwriter or singer/band should be taken for granted.. all of them have a few good songs and several mediocre/bad songs.
I do not buy a record just because someone I like has made it.
(and yes, I do buy original records..call me stupid)

I absolutely can't stomach bands who release a "best of" as their second or third album..after a couple of years of being around.
one should not be entitled to release a best of untill it has been voted on by half the population of the world... or untill he has brought certified hits on stage for at least 20 years straight.
and if they're old by then...that's just as it should be!

and no, seriously..heavy metal is for the most part a way for talented musicians to cripple their performances and to produce "sound" without harmony.
and it can get worse... because the same sound can be obtained by folks who, in fact, have no talent at all..but for some reason manage to have the same level of recognition.

and no, I do not understand what the reason is for heavy metal having lyrics..
they don't really need them... and mostly are shouted and incomprehensible to anyone but the singer himself...and other blokes who go and look the lyrics up on the internet.
generally uf you go about and shout things like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggh" and "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeergh" and whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
you cover half of the lyrics of any song and are able to shout along just fine.

and you get bonus exp for interpretation too:smallmad:

and hey...what about the shaking of the head....am I the only one with dandruff on the planet?......seriously..have a heart.

Telonius
2007-11-13, 10:17 AM
- Led Zeppelin's best song is not Stairway to Heaven. The Rain Song beats it by a mile.
- Prince ... neither good nor innovative.
- 99 Luftballoons is much better in German.
- For reasons that are utterly mysterious to me, I don't find Ringo Starr's voice jarring in Yellow Submarine. My brain tells me I should. Everything I know about music tells me I should. But dammit, somehow it works.
- Video did not kill the radio star.
- CPE Bach > JS Bach (though JS Bach is indeed awesome).
- Richard Wagner's music isn't quite as bad as it sounds, but it's not as good as people make it out to be.
- I despise the song "Amazing Grace."

Telonius
2007-11-13, 10:20 AM
- Velvet Revolver, a band full of superstars, and they utterly suck.

As a rule, supergroups suck. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

GAZ
2007-11-13, 10:47 AM
This actually seems to be a fairly popular opinion in this thread, but I'd rather shoot myself than "get the Led out". Led Zepplin is THE most overrated band of all time.
Pink Floyd is a close second.
Nirvana is a distant third.

Bob Dylan has written a few really good songs, a bunch of okay songs, and a lot of terrible songs. He has never ever once sang a good song.

The fact that a band is unpleasant to listen to means that they are BAD at making music. Yes, this means that the White Stripes are full of fail, not innovation.

The fact that a band is on MTV does not automatically mean that they are bad. It means that whoever else they may appeal to, they also appeal to the audience of MTV.

The voice of the lead singer of Coheed and Cambria is unbearable.

Bright Eyes should start writing volumes of poetry and never go near a recording studio again.

Metallica actually was really good at one point.

smellie_hippie
2007-11-13, 01:09 PM
*the elitest steps up to the podium and prepares for retribution...*

- Not getting or not liking a band does not make them overrated (Zeppellin, Floyd, Ramones, Beatles, Willie Nelson...etc)
The bands that you listen to now have roots that go back to these dinosaurs. If they hadn't been there, music would have evolved differently. You don't have to like them, but give credit where it is due.

- Faster guitars/drums/gorrillas-screaming-into-a-microphone does not make you better or harder... just more annoying.

- Country music does not always suck. No I don't listen to it... but it has a place.

- Rap music (even gansta) does not always suck... but again, I don't listen to it.

- Kurt Cobain was not a musical/lyrical genius... but he did crest the wave of a musical revolution.

- Not getting a band does not make them overrated. What? I already said that? Well I'm saying it twice. :smallyuk:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-13, 01:23 PM

I haven't heard of Rhapsody of fire, but Eternal Tears of Sorrow are great. I roadied for them for a week or so when I was wandering around in Finland.

On the Claptdon debate, he's a very good guitarist with no balls. He knows a pentatonic minour, of course. That doesn't make him a good blues guitarist. Nor does playing quick or difficult licks. The same is true of most guitar heroes. They just play fast. That doesn't make them good. That means they sit around practicing to do something you might as well get a synthesizer to do, for all the passion they put into the technical mastery.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 01:25 PM
I will refrain from commenting on the other posts so far (and boy, were there some I do not agree with :smallbiggrin: ), seeing this is the thread to freely say one's opinion without fear, and just say:

- Belonging to any particular music genre has no connection whatsoever with the quality of a song.

- Someone who has not listened to a song at least three times (preferably more) while doing nothing else while listening to it is not qualified to judge its quality.

Setra
2007-11-13, 01:26 PM
I haven't heard of Rhapsody of fire, but Eternal Tears of Sorrow are great. I roadied for them for a week or so when I was wandering around in Finland.
Rhapsody of Fire are pretty good in my opinion...

Hmm I think I'll check out Eternal Tears of Sorrow..

Edit: Only heard a couple of their songs at this moment but I like what I've heard :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2007-11-13, 01:26 PM
I'm no peanuts expert, but a common joke in Peanuts is that Lucy would pull up the football at the last second, causing Charlie Brown to trip and fall. I'm assuming Charlie Brown also hated Christmas songs. A sentiment I actually share. You hear the same stupid songs sung every year, and no one cares that the songs actually suck because they're about Christmas, and for all the movies about the true meaning of Christmas, it's clear none of them ever mention the importance of non-ear-piercingly bad music.

I liked them all as a kid, now I've heard them all too many times.

Close enough. It was a bit mroe conveluted than that, but its basically something having to do with Lucy.

bosssmiley
2007-11-13, 01:38 PM
Easy thread is easy. :smallbiggrin:

- Kurt Cobain blowing his head off was the best thing to happen to the Seattle sound. Oh, and Dave Grohl was the brains behind "Nirvana" all along.

- "The Doors" sucked all along. Jim Morrison was a pretentious druggy pseud and is better off dead.

- Dylan's music wasn't done properly until Hendrix played it. Dylan stands in the shadow of Jimi even now.

- McCartney > Lennon. Lennon married a Japanese fruitloop and spent the 70s doing...errr...what exactly? And then got his head blown off by a fan! Talk about hardfail. :smallamused:

- "Remember "Oasis" when they were good?"
"Oasis were never good!"

- "Rage Against the Machine" sold out a decade ago (and their brand of cr*ppy agit-pop sucked even before that).

- Only outlaw country (Nelson, Cash, Kristofersen, Haggard, etc.) is any good. All else sucks.

- With the exception of Gershwin jazz is nothing but musical w*nking and always has been. "Rhapsody in Blue" has never been equalled or bettered.

- *All* popular music of the last decade sucks. Pop reached its apogee with Cole Porter and Al Jolson. Guitar bands of today should stop pastiching their daddy's record collections.

Timberwolf
2007-11-13, 01:42 PM
Oh, and Dave Grohl was the brains behind "Nirvana" all along.

- McCartney > Lennon. Lennon married a Japanese fruitloop and spent the 70s doing...errr...what exactly?

"Oasis were never good!"

- "Rage Against the Machine" sold out a decade ago (and their brand of cr*ppy agit-pop sucked even before that).

- *All* popular music of the last decade sucks. Pop reached its apogee with Cole Porter and Al Jolson. Guitar bands of today should stop pastiching their daddy's record collections.

QFT on these.

Jibar
2007-11-13, 01:55 PM
Seriously.
Bob Dylan has written some terrible music. She's just average and dull.

Totally Unbiased - Yes, yes she has.

I really want to see her live, but with the new album most the audience will be annoying prebuscent girls.

Telonius
2007-11-13, 02:09 PM

Music stars' egoes also reached their apogee with Al Jolson. You think rock stars today are egotists? Try comparing them with Jolson. The guy wanted to play himself in "The Al Jolson Story," which was about him - mainly as a young man - when he was 60 years old.

Mephisto
2007-11-13, 02:12 PM
- Dylan's music wasn't done properly until Hendrix played it. Dylan stands in the shadow of Jimi even now.

No doubt. The Hendrix version of "All Along the Watchtower" is far better than the Dylan version.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-11-13, 04:58 PM
Also, I don't like 3rd gen Ska for the most part.

:smalleek:

:smallfrown:

Anyway, for my opinions...

I don't like the Beatles. At all.

The only thing metal is good for is giving me a headache.

Third Eye Blind has some of the most brilliant lyrics I have ever seen/heard.

And could all of these people who keep telling me there is some good rap please direct me to a few decent rap groups?

zeratul
2007-11-13, 05:01 PM
I f there's one thing we've learned from this thread It's that its really hard to please zombie *refrains from making that's what she said joke*

Chunklets
2007-11-13, 05:30 PM
I'm interested to see the number of people here who don't feel that "all rap is crap." I wouldn't count myself a big fan of the genre, but I'll happily acknowledge the talent of groups like Public Enemy, N.W.A., and solo artists like Ice-T.

Anyway, on to random unpopular musical opinions which I hold:

--The best bass player of all time may just be Rancid's Matt Freeman (although I'll take my hat off to John Entwhistle, too). Freeman's in the top five, in any case.

--Of all the excellent bands that came out of the so-called "grunge" scene, and there were many (Nirvana included), not one of them was as good as Hole were at their height. Courtney Love has become one of the most under-rated rock stars of the last 20 years or so.

--Irish folk music sounds just fine when the lyrics are in Italian. Proof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55yCQOioTyY). Actually, I don't know if this opinion counts as "unpopular" so much as "just plain weird." :smallbiggrin:

I'll probably think of more as the day goes on!

Redpieper
2007-11-13, 05:40 PM

On the Claptdon debate, he's a very good guitarist with no balls. He knows a pentatonic minour, of course. That doesn't make him a good blues guitarist. Nor does playing quick or difficult licks. The same is true of most guitar heroes. They just play fast. That doesn't make them good. That means they sit around practicing to do something you might as well get a synthesizer to do, for all the passion they put into the technical mastery.

Ah darn it, now I'm jealous :smallyuk:
Also to add to the thread

- Linkin Park has their moments
- The Clash are not that good
- Muse is good
- Iced Earth is a good band
- Guns n Roses are baaaaaaaaad
- Frank Zappa is good (though that isn't unpopular I think?)
- For reasons I cannot give, I love Sepultura :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 06:11 PM
- Iced Earth is a good bandThat's an unpopular opinion? :smallconfused:

Setra
2007-11-13, 06:35 PM
- For reasons I cannot give, I love Sepultura :smallbiggrin:
Yeah I like em too :smallbiggrin:

Edit: Also, to reiterate an earlier point, Krypteria is awesome (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6J-ryXDClc)

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-13, 06:48 PM
Bad Screamo Band = Redemption Ect. = My band!

We're alright, but our lyrics are pretty crappy.

Otto-Sieve
2007-11-13, 06:49 PM
AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Van Halen, the clash, Rolling stones, Bob Dylan, George thorogood, and every 80's hair band. I also abhor about 80% of modern music.

country, jazz, .... terrible.

Emperor Tippy
2007-11-13, 06:50 PM
99.999% of music is annoying. Yes I know its unnatural or something but I dislike almost all music and don't actually like any music (some I'm indifferent towards).

FdL
2007-11-13, 06:55 PM
This thread is annoying and overly negative. Bye.

Redpieper
2007-11-13, 06:58 PM
^Now that isn't a music opinion now is it :smallwink:

That's an unpopular opinion? :smallconfused:

Perhaps not, Most of my friends don't like them that much.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 07:06 PM
Perhaps not, Most of my friends don't like them that much.Ah, I see.

Oh! I've come up with another one!

Growling can make sense as stylistical tool to enhance a song, it is not automatically bad.
A good deal of bands don't know how or when to use it properly though.

smellie_hippie
2007-11-13, 07:07 PM

I concur. Maybe this should be a little more structured as to give reason why you might feel a particular way... as opposed to just ranting.

Chunklets
2007-11-13, 07:09 PM

Hey, I posted 3 "positive" opinions! :smallbiggrin: Here's another:

--While I acknowledge much that is great about the Beatles, I'd take the Stones over them if forced to choose.

Setra
2007-11-13, 07:11 PM
So you post something negative and annoying? That doesn't make much sense.

NordicBearskin
2007-11-13, 07:12 PM

*waves*

As for me:

The beginning-to-middle nineties were the musical apex of our civilisation. In any case they're the apex of my subjective preferences and whims, which I like to think is exactly the same thing. *smiles*

I honestly just don't 'get' anything much later then that. (Surprisingly unpopular in my [rather shallow] social circles)

Green Day were better when no one really knew them. Ditto for Sigor Ros and, well, quite a few bands actually.

Oh, and originality (whatever that is) is overrated.

zeratul
2007-11-13, 07:16 PM
Easy thread is easy. :smallbiggrin:

- Kurt Cobain blowing his head off was the best thing to happen to the Seattle sound. Oh, and Dave Grohl was the brains behind "Nirvana" all along.

- "The Doors" sucked all along. Jim Morrison was a pretentious druggy pseud and is better off dead.

- McCartney > Lennon. Lennon married a Japanese fruitloop and spent the 70s doing...errr...what exactly? And then got his head blown off by a fan! Talk about hardfail. :smallamused:

"Oasis were never good!"

- Only outlaw country (Nelson, Cash, Kristofersen, Haggard, etc.) is any good. All else sucks.

- With the exception of Gershwin jazz is nothing but musical w*nking and always has been. "Rhapsody in Blue" has never been equalled or bettered.

Ok man walking the fine line between unpopular opinions, and rude/overly-negative/insensitive opinions.

DomaDoma
2007-11-13, 07:41 PM
Soundtracks excepted, all my favorite music was written before the end of World War II.

Crilley
2007-11-13, 08:16 PM
ACDC
Led Zepplin
Van Halen
Metallica
The Clash
The Doors
The Who
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Rage Against The Machine
Avril Lavigne
MCR
The Beatles
Dire Straights
Fall Out Boy
From First to Last
All suck. On the other hand, my unpopular loves are,

Bright Eyes
Feist
MC Frontalot
Cursive
Dashboard Confessional (which is kinda embarrassing)
Dragonforce
Elliot Smith
Eva Cassidy
HORSE the Band
IMArobot
Imogen Heap
Jedi Mind Tricks
Wu Tang Clan
Job for a Cowboy
Jurassic 5
All songs from WE <3 KATAMARI
The Locust
Melt Banana

Well... this list was gonna be longer but I started feeling like an elitist listing bands they like, hoping to earn some indiepoints. So I stopped.

Jorkens
2007-11-13, 08:28 PM
Well... this list was gonna be longer but I started feeling like an elitist listing bands they like, hoping to earn some indiepoints. So I stopped.
Give me Love, give me Can, give me Meatloaf,
Give me Rush, give me Marquee Moon
Michael Ball or The Fall, I could listen to them all
In the twilight or the afternoon
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists it's a right good laugh
Irk the purists
Irk the purists
Irk the purists in the bath

Husker Du-Du-Du
Captain Beefheart, ELO
Chris DeBurgh, Sun Ra, Del Amitri, John Coltrane

PhallicWarrior
2007-11-13, 08:37 PM
Evanescence is really good.

I don't actually think the Beatles are overrated, but their ratio of good songs to not-so-good songs was pretty weak compared to many other great bands. The White Album was particularly bad.

Agreed.

Also, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS PEOPLE, ERIC CLAPTON IS NOT GOD!

The Extinguisher
2007-11-13, 08:59 PM
I've got one. Music does not need words to be good.

Surprisingly unpopular opinion.

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-13, 09:32 PM
I concur. Maybe this should be a little more structured as to give reason why you might feel a particular way... as opposed to just ranting.

Maybe. I only made this for fun. I honestly didn't think people would take it so seriously.

smellie_hippie
2007-11-13, 09:52 PM
Maybe. I only made this for fun. I honestly didn't think people would take it so seriously.

Yeah, I know. But I also know that you've cringed at a couple of shots taken at bands you enjoy. I didn't mean to attack you ZRS... or anyone else here.

You know what.....? Admit it everyone. This thread can be used for taking the giants down a few pegs, but you've winced at some of the pot shots.

I love Pink Floyd. Everything about them. No I don't feel that everyone has to love them, but I do feel compelled to defend them on occasion.

I don't begrudge anyone's opinion (despite my rantings), but just make surfe that you're poking justifiably... not just shooting at the biggest targets.

Amotis
2007-11-13, 10:03 PM

Boooo! Boooo! Hissssss...

I can see the take on jazz, it ain't for everyone (blah blah some comment on how every genre has something for everyone) but Gershwin? Here's my unpopular opinion: Gershwin sucks. Get this man a second year theory book and learn him some melodic variations! Or just beat him over the head with it. I'd like to do that myself. With Christopher Walken by my side.

Other "pseudo classical" unpop opinions: John Cage > Copland, Bernstein, etc. I am embarrassed by the so called American voice of composing set for by the semi-whole tone messes of them yanks. Maverick and Individual is the American voice. Not bad movie music.

Jorkens
2007-11-13, 10:03 PM
I think that a lot of great music has come out of commercialism. The idea that to make great music (or anything else) you have to be a pure artist answering only to your muse and unsullied by the taint of commercial intent is one we should have left in the 19th century.

Jack Squat
2007-11-13, 11:36 PM
B.B. King isn't really better than any other blues singer. I think Johnny Lang (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DayCrQWJXuI) is much better; especially considering that he got an album deal at 13, and released a multi-platinum album at 14.

dehro
2007-11-14, 06:04 AM
yep...it's true..sometimes comercialism produces good things...unpopular opinion? I quite like the monsoon song....you know...the kids band that I can't remember the name of that are giving every 10-15yo girl wet dreams...

yeah...ridiculus, I know.

I feel that one should not be given bonus points for a handicap...being 12 or blind or 90something does not come into play when you play an instrument or sing a song... boccelli is good, maybe one of the best..but people are giving him far too much credit.
(ray charles now is something else entirely...he "IS" history)...

the "very good, considering that he is..." is a line that makes no sense from a critical point of view, where skill, technique, talent, performance and hard work come into play...whatever the age, wathever the health condition.
praising the person as a human being that overcomes difficulties is nice and justified, I agree wholeheartedly... having it influence our judgement from a musical point of view is rubbish.

and yeah...I have cringed at several remarks..and I just know that my ranting over heavy metal has made some electric souls here clench their fists...
(of course I know that several metal bands are actually good...I just wish they would do more melodic stuff, more balads...give their talent a chance to express itself other than in shrieks and bleeping sound from the amplifiers..
not always louder=better)

In the end, music is all about harmony, about wavelenghts, about touching the spirit of the listener by rythm, melody, text or a combination thereof.
and no, in most modern music genres, text isn't all that important, specially in those countries where the words are hardly understood because people's competence in English is below par...I've heard people blabber the most peculiar sounds to the tune of english or spanish lyrics with a deep and moving message...ruining it utterly...and then shouting their appreciacion for something the hardly understand
it actually happened with an italian singer quite famous with a certain public, in Europe... Paolo Conte... old man, very jazzy...he had a gig in a very important concert hall in Germany... ladies would get out and almost cry "I don't speak a word of italian, but it was sooooo good"...
and yeah..he is good indeed.

Swedish chef
2007-11-14, 07:02 AM
Unpopular opinion 1:
Nightwish is highly overrated. Within temptation kick their butt anytime, but both these bands are just trying to do gothmusic and cover it up as metal.

Unpopular opinion 2:
Marilyn Manson sucks! He is all flash and no dash. All surface and horribly bad music. Trying t be a new Bauhaus but fails.

Unpopular opinion 3:
I am secretly in love with Avril Lavignes music. In some cirkles that would have me proclaimed pariah :D

Winterwind
2007-11-14, 07:07 AM
yep...it's true..sometimes comercialism produces good things...unpopular opinion? I quite like the monsoon song....you know...the kids band that I can't remember the name of that are giving every 10-15yo girl wet dreams...Tokyo Hotel.

And I confess I liked most of their songs I heard so far (not so much as to go out and buy an album of theirs, but still). :smallredface:

Rare Pink Leech
2007-11-14, 07:43 AM
-Johnny Cash sang Hurt better than Trent Reznor could ever possibly consider doing.

This is an unpoular music opinion? I was under the impression that most people felt this way. Hell, didn't Reznor himself say that Cash basically took sole possession of the song after covering it?

- Not getting or not liking a band does not make them overrated (Zeppellin, Floyd, Ramones, Beatles, Willie Nelson...etc)
The bands that you listen to now have roots that go back to these dinosaurs. If they hadn't been there, music would have evolved differently. You don't have to like them, but give credit where it is due.

Probably the smartest thing anyone has said the entire thread. I'm going to use The Beatles for my example, but the same goes for any other influential artist/group. Sure, you might not care for or even like their music, but that is no reason to downplay their accomplishments. The fact is, they changed popular music forever, and were huge influences on artists that came after. Yes, it's true that if The Beatles didn't do it, someone else would have. But the fact is, "someone else" didn't do it. The Beatles did, and their influence is steeped in music culture even to this day. It doesn't matter that someone else would have taken their place - the fact of the matter is music as it is now owes huge amounts to The Beatles and other hugely influential groups.

As a side note, I'd suggest to people not to take this thread too seriously. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the comments made have been either exaggerations or deliberately inflammatory.

Glawackus
2007-11-14, 08:01 AM
I look forward to Christmas every year because Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas albums are way better than Beethoven's Last Night. :smallbiggrin:

Gungnir
2007-11-14, 08:52 AM
I don't like singing, as a general rule. There are exceptions, but these are only open to the truly Epic.

Jack Squat
2007-11-14, 09:51 AM
I look forward to Christmas every year because Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas albums are way better than Beethoven's Last Night. :smallbiggrin:

that's unpopular?

I just went to one of their concerts last Wednesday, and the place was packed. Granted, Knoxville isn't known as the most cultured place around...

valadil
2007-11-14, 01:26 PM
I've seen a lot of hate and a lot of love for Metallica in here. Since this is supposed to be unpopular music opinions, is Metallica popular anymore? I haven't listened to the radio in ages and honestly have no idea. Ever since Napster, I thought that all the cool kids were hating on Metallica.

Telonius
2007-11-14, 02:30 PM
I've seen a lot of hate and a lot of love for Metallica in here. Since this is supposed to be unpopular music opinions, is Metallica popular anymore? I haven't listened to the radio in ages and honestly have no idea. Ever since Napster, I thought that all the cool kids were hating on Metallica.

Well, the thing about the Napster incident was that they were trying to blame their declining sales on Napster. Most people I know kind of laughed at them at the time. The general sentiment - at least among my group of friends, which probably isn't very representative - was that their sales were declining because they'd started sucking. For them to turn around and blame the declining quality of their music on Napster, made them look really bad. I don't think they've ever shaken the bad blood from that.

Hermit
2007-11-14, 03:40 PM
I can top every unpopular music opinion ever by simply saying I don't listen to music at all. It just doesn't interest me, and I've never owned a CD, let alone any kind of player or Ipod.

I say this is an 'unpopular' view because I don't think I've ever met anyone else apart from a few of my mates who are as completely oblivious to the whole music scene as I am :p

Blueroses
2007-11-14, 03:55 PM
Wow... this is quite a thread. I have to say, some interesting opinions out there. I have stomped on the urge to defend Pink Floyd and The Who. (Though they both are truly amazing!) :smallsmile:

The opinion I've found quite unpopular (especially among folk/bluegrass people) is this:

The Best <insert artist here... guitarist, bass player, drummer, etc> is NOT someone enough people would know that they'd win any of those "lists". They're small time musicians who live for the music, instead of playing the music to live. Those lists should be "The Best Popular Guitarist <bass player, etc>" instead.

GeeVee
2007-11-14, 06:30 PM
Here's an unpopular music opinion for ya: Besides the artists I haven't given a listen, I like at least one song by every single artist mentioned in this thread. As a matter of fact, that applies for most of pop music.

bosssmiley
2007-11-14, 06:43 PM
Boooo! Boooo! Hissssss...

Objective of thread achieved then. :smallbiggrin:

And Zeratul, you're quite right. I was sailing a bit too close to trolling (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0506.html) for comfort there. Music just brings out my natural negativity sometime, and for that I apologise.

Oh, here's a minority, but positive, view from Eggland: prog rock (and concept albums) are great. Music you have to listen hard to in order to tease out all the nuances = the antithesis of pop = cool.
(this in no way modifies my dislike for jazz. Gbt art school Beatniks! :smalltongue: )

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-14, 07:31 PM
Someone mentioned Foo Fighters as being better than Nirvana. He should reconsider what he's posted.

One thing is to say stuff to "get the elitists mad". A different thing is to have this thread fill with opinons.

Fixed.

Anyways, I said Foo Fighters are better than Nirvana, and I completely stand by my opinion. Don't take it so seriously, these are unpopular opinions, which means chances are there are people who are not going to like them. I didn't say it to "upset the elitists" I said it because it's what I believe. It's not fact, gospel, canon, ect simply because you or I say it. I believe that lyrically, musically, and even in a purely existential sense Dave Grohl is superior to Kurt Cobain.

And before anyone responds with the "better lyrics argument" I would just like to say: Meat Puppets wrote & performed Lake of Fire & Oh,Me and several other Nirvana "greats" first. But, these are my opinions (except for the Meat Puppets) and by no means do I think anyone here should take these as fact, the whole point of this thread was to voice opinions others generally don't like.

If you came in here believing you wouldn't get offended you're a bit naive, no offense. There have been quite a few things in here that have made me go "Oh, whatever!" but people have the right to voice those opinions and so going postal on them and saying things "ZOMG! U R TEH SUXXOR CUZ U DON'T LIKE TEH METALIKA!!!!111eleventy" is counterproductive to the whole idea of this thread. I hate to bring serious contemplation into what is essentially a thread to have fun and for people to laugh and go "WOW! I can't believe he thinks that!" (which I have done numerous times) but comments like the above are the ones that can take potentially fun ideas and twist them into massive flame wars. In the immortal words of Rodney King.. "Can't we all just get along?"

Amotis
2007-11-15, 01:08 AM
Objective of thread achieved then. :smallbiggrin:

You do realize that I wouldn't have responded unless Herr Egg said it. :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2007-11-15, 08:05 PM
Argument 1:

Pink Floyd is one of the ten best bands of all time. Dark Side of the Moon is one of the greatest albums of all time. Dave Gilmour's best guitar work is on Animals. Don't believe me? Then shoo, go and listen to Dark Side of the Moon again. Specifically, Time, Us and Them, Any Colour You Like, and Brain Damage/Eclipse. If you don't have it, it's probobly on youtube. Next listen to the David Gilmour solo in Dogs around 5:30. Plus, there is a reason that the solo on Comfortably Numb was voted the Greatest of all time. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is one of, if not the most, heartfelt songs I have ever heard. Lets see, any more Pink Floyd argument material? Oh right, some of the money from Dark Side of the Moon was used to fund Monty Python, and Pink Floyd would interupt recording sessions to watch Flying Circus.

Argument 2: Zepplin, my friends, does not suck. And they are not a one trick pony, either. John Bonham is a pretty dayum good drummer, and JPJ is a great keyboardist, as well as a bassist. Needless to say, Page is godlike, but I hate Plant. :smallfurious: He broke up XYZ before they even formed. :smallsigh:

Unpopular oppinion: Steely Dan is a terrific band. They, Elton John, and Supertramp form the holy trinity of Pop. To me that is. :smallamused:

dehro
2007-11-15, 08:40 PM
I like the songs of the muppet show.

EvilJames
2007-11-16, 03:12 PM
- I'm sick of hearing about how No Doubt "made" the third-wave ska revival of the '90's and I'm equally sick of Gwen Stefani. No one mentions the Mighty Mighty Bosstones or Sublime, Reel Big Fish or Less Than Jake. It's saddening, really.

No doubt hasn't made squat for ska Qwen stefani is responsible for some of the most irritating and obnoxiously overplayed songs I've ever been forced to listen too, (I used to work in a music store)

The offspring has one song in every album that is the same song from another album with different lyrics. He also has a kind of whiny voice

thorgrim29
2007-11-16, 04:54 PM
Unpopular.... Well, one of my favourite bands is Infected Mushroom, I basically like everything Metallica made, exept a few tracks from St Anger. I like G&R. I like Hybrid and meteora, Reanimation and the other album Linkin Park made are crap. I like Muse a lot. I like Led Zep a lot, but dislike Stairway. I also like Dragonforce (ok, sounds the same, but its still awesome). No idea if it's unpopular, but I actually like a lot of Manowar's work.

Finally, the last nail in my coffin (a big, ugly, rusty one at that): I think Nightwish's new singer is way better then Tarja was (especially when you compare early nightwish with Dark passion play, I guess she'll get similarely better in time)

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-16, 09:09 PM
Tarja was an opera singer. If you don't really like opera, you probably weren't big on Tarja. If you love opera, you're going to prefer her. I happen to love Opera.
Oh, hey, there's a pretty unpopular opinion.
Musicals, too. Only the really strange ones, though.

commander43
2007-11-16, 09:19 PM
One of my bigtime opinions that people disagree with is that The Clash are better then The Beatles. They both did tons for music, and although The Beatles did more, the Clash had more feeling and meaning behind their music then the Beatles ever did. And Joe Strummer's solo project is better than any solo work by any former Beatles.

Ted_Stryker
2007-11-18, 12:28 AM
My favorite Zeppelin album right now is In Through The Out Door. Might be unpopular in a low-key sort of way.

Dave Rapp
2007-11-18, 12:31 AM
All songs, albums, bands, and genres suck.

Can't get more unpopular than that!

Lord Zentei
2007-11-18, 04:25 AM
Rap is crap.

ElfLad
2007-11-18, 07:27 PM
Dave Gilmour's best guitar work is on Animals.

Hey, you spelled The Division Bell wrong. Go listen to What Do You Want From Me and A Great Day for Freedom.

Although I think that Animals is Floyd's lyrically greatest album.

To close, this isn't really an argument that a lot of people would disagree with, but there are some people who can't take a single bad word about Floyd:

Pink Floyd has the most boring and unimaginative drummer that has ever been in a band referred to as Progressive Rock. To be fair, Neil Peart (Rush), Phil Collins (Genesis), Alan White (Yes), and Phil Ehart (Kansas) set a high standard, but I've heard pop songs with drums that outclass most of Floyd's catalogue.

Raistlin1040
2007-11-18, 10:09 PM
I'm both a fan of Guns N' Roses, and Velvet Revolver. I also think Slash is an amazingly awesome guitarist.

Construct
2007-11-19, 05:10 AM

'Face of Fact' by KOTOKO, which brings us to:
I like extra-cheesy J-pop! And not in an ironic way! Lock up your pre-pubescent daughters!
Seriously, I'd have kittens if anyone say my playlist...

Burgo McSock
2007-11-19, 06:24 AM
* Australia as a country has arguably the worst taste in music in the world
* The best modern music is mainly made in northern Europe
* Modern metal does not suck, you are most likely thinking of one of those 'core' genres. Try listening to something a bit different (I highly recommend Kamelot, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Epica, Nightwish, Hammerfall and Sonata Arctica)
* Metal does not necessarily need to be satanic, br00tal or even dark, it can be anything from mellow to epic
* There is more to metal than distortion, screaming vocals, solos and leather pants
* Many types of metal are much more complex and intelligent than popular press would have you believe
* Nightwish: Anette > Tarja
* Nightwish are not goths, at least not anymore I would describe the new style as more symphonic/progressive power metal
* My Chemical Romance are not emos, hell if I know what their music is I am thinking something along the lines of "theatrical goth pop" furthermore their music unlike many other bands which have been popular in current years (*cough* Greenday *cough*) does not suck
* Zeppelin although awesome are overrated, stairway is not their best song imo
* There are differences between the vocal techniques of screams, grunts and growls
* Adding any of the a song do not automatically make the song 'evil hardcore blackened death metal'
* Epica > Nightwish > Within Temptation > Evanescence > Lacuna Coil
* Tenacious D really annoy me; Tribute was a good/funny song but the rest mostly suck and Jack Black isn't anyware near as funny as he reckons he is (that Pick of Destiny movie really blew)
* Music doesn't have to be good; it just has to entertain you for example I like to laugh at the Europop singer Gunther
* If you haven't heard of a song or band before it doesn't automatically suck, Idol judges I'm talking to you, what BS to say something is a poor song choice simple because people haven't heard of it
* The composers of soundtracks within games are highly underrated but at least they are still in business writing epic orchestral music for fantasy RPGs
* DragonForce's songs aren't all the same, listen to Dawn Over a New World or any number of songs from their first album and you see what I mean
* Sabbath: Dio > Ozzy
* I am yet to hear a rap song which doesn't make me cringe, I'm sure there is some good stuff out there but I haven't looked and it doesn't get airplay
* Some country I find alright (Johnny Cash, John Denver, probably some others)
* There is nowhere near enough metal on the radio or on video shows
* I hate the use the word 'indie' to describe many popular bands, indie it seems is a clothing style not a music style
* For emo see entry on indie
* Modern punk rock is not punk rock
* Hardcore is not metal
* Some techno/dance music does not suck, some of the tunes are highly addictive. It is not however my type of thing as I believe to make music you need a musician not some DJ/programmer arranging loops imo
* You are allowed to have keyboards, pianos and orchestral instruments in metal, it does not have to be a 2 guitars, a vocalist, bass and drums only

Rasumichin
2007-11-19, 08:07 AM
-it is absolutely legitimate to dance to awful, crappy r'n'b at a nightclub, at least as long as you look good doing it.

-completism among record collectors is, from a purely musical point of view, completely unnecessary.
It is better to try out new bands instead of buying every mediocre piece of crap your favorite band has put out in Japan 10 years ago.

-the more records you buy, the higher the percentage of records you will never listen to again in a couple of years.

-after really getting used to burning CDs, there is no relevant difference between an 'original' album in a digipack with a four-colour, 12 page booklet and a copied CD in a slimcase, with a post-it used as a tracklist.

-99% of all musical journalists are neither musical nor journalists.

Castaras
2007-11-19, 08:30 AM
Meh, found out today that I have the unpopular opinion round where I live that Pink Floyd and Queen are awesome.

draca
2007-11-19, 02:17 PM
Wow, a lot of my unpopular opinions have been said. Hurray for weird people like me out there. Still, the following would get me lynched with some people, some that I know and love:

There are about 2 or 3 songs (at least) in any possible genera that I will love; but my favorite genera will have many more loved songs. I like what I like, weather it’s the “trendy” band, the super-obscure “underground” band, some fusion-hybrid-mutant thing that can only be categorized by throwing darts at the weel-o-classifications, classical, Goth, or 80’s Pop (yes, I said it, Cyndi Lauper rocks). Being this eclectic ticks people off, and/or confuses them if they scroll through my iPod.

If the music has lyrics, it should tell a story, or have a meaning. It doesn’t all have to trumpet a cause; it can just be a fiction, or an idea. Plus, it ought to be a good story. Sing about something other then biological processes!

And if you can’t understand it, chances are it’s not because it’s all deep and artistic. There are some things just deep and hard to wrap your mind around … but most of the time, it’s just nonsense. Possibly drug addled nonsense. Nonsense songs are not deep, they are just lyrical gibberish.
Of course, fluff songs are OK for the right mood, especially if the music is good or the lyrics are clever – like Bad Touch or the Unh-Tiss song by the Bloodhound Gang - and heartache songs are great when you are in the mood or they really make you feel.

Some of my favorite music came from the midis in video games (RPGs, Castlevania, etc.). When I was a kid, I used to go to a certain town, or level, just for background music while studying or during dinner. I get the originals and techno remixes when I can find them. I play them for my friends who subsequently want to kill me for making them want to bust out their NES emulator.

I loathe guitar solos. No one cheered louder when they stopped being popular. Some bad songs have survived just because of the guitar solo. This makes me cry inside.

Also I always found it boring and repetitive that almost every single band is guitars and the same kind of drum set. Snares, a big doomba you work with a foot pedal, and tinny clashing cymbals. Constantly smacking the cymbals throughout the entire song makes me flip the channel. Am I the only one that gets a seasick feeling from the gratuitous overuse of percussion?

Symphonic instruments are wonderful in modern music and bands. They belong there, and more often.

To name some names:

Muse makes me happy. ^_^
Savage Garden makes me happy.

Blink 182 – I’ve heard your one song like a dozen times now, but you keep changing the lyrics.

Whoever’s copying Blink 182, Stop! They are already playing the same song over and over; you don’t need to as well.

Divo’s cover of Head like a Hole was hilarious. I liked it.

Trent Reznor officially ran out of stuff to whine about with “Only.” (Actually I’m not entirely sure that’s an unpopular opinion.)

Bob Dylan was a great songwriter but a terrible, I mean truly terrible, singer. His songs, with their meanings, sung by someone who can sing, would be awesome.

Entar
2007-11-19, 02:46 PM
I like gospel music.

maskimus
2007-11-19, 03:26 PM
1. "Baby Got Back" is the single greatest rap song of all time.

2. Billy Joel is a better song writer than anybody writing songs today.

3. The Beatles are the greatest rock 'n roll band of all time, and the most important musical artists of the last 50 years, but they are overrated.

4. Britney Spears is the most important musical artist of the new millenium.(I really don't believe this one, but it's got to be unpopular.:smalltongue: )

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-19, 03:55 PM
2. Billy Joel is a better song writer than anybody writing songs today.

Yay! Billy Joel.

Wait... I've only ever listened to two of his songs.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-19, 04:05 PM
Newer Blind Guardian is as good as the older stuff. It's different, but not bad.

Winterwind
2007-11-19, 04:36 PM
Newer Blind Guardian is as good as the older stuff. It's different, but not bad.I heartily concur.

Redpieper
2007-11-19, 06:41 PM
'Face of Fact' by KOTOKO, which brings us to:
I like extra-cheesy J-pop! And not in an ironic way! Lock up your pre-pubescent daughters!
Seriously, I'd have kittens if anyone say my playlist...

Many thanks! :smallsmile:

Ummm let's see, I don't like Judas Priest

(there I contributed to the thread again)

Haruki-kun
2007-11-20, 01:07 PM
My most unpopular one (though I can't understand why...........):

Videogame Music is also Music, and it RULES. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH92KsFTvxk)

Ziggy's_Roady
2007-11-21, 02:03 AM
*Billy Talent has NO Talent...

*Dio vs. Ozzy is no question. Dio wins! Holy Diver is way better than Bark at The Moon (Which I consider their songs)

*DragonForce, though extremly repeditive, is still good. Herman Li is hypnotic with his guitar.

*My Chemical Romance is not emo, they're goth/punk

*Avenged Sevenfold is underrated, they are better than Slipknot, which people consider to be "The greatest band ever"

*Pink Floyd is way better than Zepplin, and Stairway sucks...

*Emo music is just early 90's punk rock

* Turning Japanese is still the best song ever

*People will hate me for this but...Go-Gos are better than Slipknot

*Screamo/metalcore is one of the best genres of music....I like screaming..*Points to his early A7X albums*

*Slash is not a "Legend of Rock" sure he's a good guitarist, but not legendary.

*If Herman Li was born like 20 years ago...he would be

*Eddy Van Helan is a Legend

*Jimi Hendrix is a legend

*Tom Morello is not...Rage sucks...

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-21, 02:25 AM
-after really getting used to burning CDs, there is no relevant difference between an 'original' album in a digipack with a four-colour, 12 page booklet and a copied CD in a slimcase, with a post-it used as a tracklist.
Album art? Lyric sheets? Liner notes?

smellie_hippie
2007-11-21, 07:34 AM
Here's a fun one to chew on...

I like jam bands. Phish, Grateful Dead, moe., Widespread Panic etc... I like to artistry of having no plan of logic on where your song is going until you find yourself there.

No I didn't start listening to them because I'm a hippie... I listen to them because they are good.

SDF
2007-11-21, 11:17 AM
My Chemical Romance isn't anything close to emo, goth, or punk. They are alternative rock, and they are the WORST band I have ever seen live.

Telonius
2007-11-21, 11:34 AM
I like the songs of the muppet show.

Their version of "In the Navy" was approximately 8 million times better than any other.

Semidi
2007-11-21, 11:42 AM
My Chemical Romance isn't anything close to emo, goth, or punk. They are alternative rock, and they are the WORST band I have ever seen live.

Thank you, I was in the middle of a 500 word post when I saw this. It was mostly detailing how MCR is not in any shape of the mind goth. Actually, I just got lazy, but yes, this is said so much better than I could have.

sealemon
2007-11-21, 12:05 PM
Great idea for a thread.

Videogame Music is also Music, and it RULES.

You know what? I still play my Mechwarrior 95 CD on occasion when I drive. It's great driving music, and the frickin' game doesn't work on XP anyway. :smallfurious:

An unpopular opinion on this forum, from what I've seen: Rap IS music, and a lot of it is actually good. And yes, not just Tribe Called Quest or Jungle Brothers, but Dre, Eminem and Snoop.

I really like Erasure. Also Love And Happyness by Anything Box.

The two previous opinions seem really strange back to back like that, but there ya go.

Finally, I'd rather listen to swing than ska.

Winterwind
2007-11-21, 12:30 PM
You know what? I still play my Mechwarrior 95 CD on occasion when I drive. It's great driving music, and the frickin' game doesn't work on XP anyway. :smallfurious: I assume you mean MechWarrior II here?

If so, I fully agree. The music in that game was just about the best one in any game I have ever seen.

B-Man
2007-11-21, 12:33 PM

Videogame Music is also Music, and it RULES. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH92KsFTvxk)

I also don't see why people dislike video game music. I only ever continued playing Baten Kaitos because of the music!

Anyways, opinions that would get me lynched:
Avenged Sevenfold is over-rated.
Metallica gets too much radio time for their Load and Reload albums.
Epic metal can be overdone.
Not all rap is bad. Most of it is, but there are the occasional few songs that I enjoy listening to.
Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is the only album of theirs that's worth listening to.
Slayer > Dragonforce
Megadeth > Metallica
Blind Guardian gets boring after a while.
A lot of Iron Maiden's songs sound identical.
The Kovenant does an amazing cover of The Memory Remains, originally composed by Metallica.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-21, 01:24 PM
A song can be overloaded to the point of reaching critical mass with swear words and still be good.

Vespe Ratavo
2007-11-21, 03:26 PM
I recently found out these opinions of mine are unpopular opinions at my school.

*The Beatles are awesome.
*The Beatles were great musicians, and it doesn't matter whether they did drugs or not.
*Simple Plan sucks.
*Come to think of it, all "alternative" music sucks. (It's not alternative if everyone listens to it, people! :smallannoyed: )
*Rap sucks.

Also, on the subject of video game music, "Still Alive" from Portal was totally awesome, and the Psychopath themes from Dead Rising rock. (Admittedly, I am being a hypocrite here, seeing as how some of those songs are "alternative" or rap, but hey, I'm a fully liscensed hypocrite, and those things above are just "in general.")

zeratul
2007-11-21, 03:31 PM
*Come to think of it, all "alternative" music sucks.

(most people don't consider simple plan alternative, most people consider them crappy main stream emo crap.)

Vespe Ratavo
2007-11-21, 03:31 PM
(most people don't consider simple plan alternative, most people consider them crappy main stream emo crap.)

Ah, that's the word I was looking for. That's the kind of "alternative" music I hate.

The rest, meh.

zeratul
2007-11-21, 03:35 PM
Ah, that's the word I was looking for. That's the kind of "alternative" music I hate.

The rest, meh.

Yeah, lets not get simple plan mixed in with good bands like REM, Tori Amos, and Nirvana. There's a fine line between being actual alternative and wanting to seem edgy and cool so people will buy your albums.

JabberwockySupafly
2007-11-21, 11:12 PM

Actually, far from an unpopular opinion, believe it or not. I own countless game music CDs. Every 3 or so months I head out to hear the Eminence (http://www.eminenceonline.com/2006/) folks do heaps of orchestrated Video Game music (and anime occassionally). They usually get some of the biggest named game composers from Japan to show up as well. I even got a copy of KiRite by Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Cross, Xenosaga I, some of Chrono Trigger... the list goes on) signed by the man himself. We've had Hitoshi Sakimoto (FFT, FFXII), Nobou Uematsu (pretty much every other FF but XI & XII), Masaru Shiina (Tales of Legendia), Ko Ohtani (Shadow of the Colossus), Yuki Kajiura (Xenosaga II & III), Junichi Nakatsuru (Soul Calibur), and Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts) just to name a few. Eminence is also recording music for an upcoming unrevealed RPG, and they do the music for the soon to be release anime Romeo X Juliet. Check them out on Youtube, these guys blow Play! out of the water, and generally fill the concert halls every single time there's a concert.

Now, for my Unpopular Opinion: Virgin Steele is the best power metal band. Check out Through the Ring of Fire or Crown of Glory (Unscarred) if you doubt me. Trojan War = Win.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2007-11-21, 11:21 PM
The Gin Blossoms have two or three lyricists in the top twenty-five or so, easily.

StupidFatHobbit
2007-11-22, 12:01 AM
I love Boney M.

Yes, Boney M. Freaking disco. Disco by West Indian people. Disco by West Indian people in glittery jumpsuits and giant spangled headdresses, singing about topics such as the death of Rasputin. It sounds like the world's best reason to go back in time and nuke the entire '70s from orbit, but everyone should listen to this band's Greatest Hits at least once, even if you never admit it in public.

Orzel
2007-11-22, 12:22 AM
50's flow is terrible
Lil Wayne voice is annoying
T-Pain barely sings
Gospel rap is 15 years behind is style.

SDF
2007-11-22, 02:23 AM

Except they aren't emo at all. They are pop-punk, a top 40 band. Emo is something else entirely.

Rasumichin
2007-11-22, 04:52 PM
Album art? Lyric sheets? Liner notes?

Definately nice to have, but i don't miss them anymore when i don't have an original copy (<- it's just awesome how completely legitimate it feels to write "original copy" in English. Your language is so perceptive of the fact that a storebought album, identical to probably 50.000 units or more, isn't an original at all).

I know that many people, especially among music nerds, record collectors and so on, will heartily disagree (and i can completely understand that- there's so many great album artworks around, even though the CD format depraves it of a lot of impact when compared to vinyl albums, plus lyric sheets are a great thing when you listen to mumbling or screaming vocalists, especially when you're not a native speaker), but, after all, this is a thread about unpopular opinions, especially among "elitist" listeners.

So, there it is, my most non-elitist musical opinion of all (and believe me, it is incredebly hard for me to not be elitist when it comes to music).

There is no original to a musical recording.
Even the master tape (or HD data) at the studio is just a reproduction of the momentary performance of an ultimately uncapturable idea, some part of which is destroyed permanently after fixing it, creating a definate version that has stopped to be a new, growing, developing song in the rehearsal room.

Once you have truly realized this, the notion of the original looses all its worth.

Dammit, it is an elitist opinion.
Forget all i have just written, it's completely off-topic.

The Extinguisher
2007-11-23, 02:46 AM
I've got another one: I prefer covers of songs to original.

Not as a rule, but the majority of the covers I've heard are much better.

Maelstrom
2007-11-23, 03:34 AM
-- Just because your parents hate it does not mean it is great

and the corollary to that

-- just because your parents like it does not mean it sucks or is overrated...

thedavo
2007-11-24, 05:48 PM
most of these are metal related, so here goes:

- dragonforce are vastly overrated, and herman li is nowhere near as good as everyone makes him out to be. yes he's fast. and he's reasonably talented. but boring.

- bill steer (carcass) is an awesome guitarist.
- killswitch engage have gone downhill massively since jesse leach left
- dream theater are dull
- slayer need to retire
- as does ozzy
- anyone who thinks that the black album by metallica is better than puppets, lightening and justice is completely wrong
- the last two albums by megadeth are more worthwhile than anything metallica have done for 15 years
- vinyl is the second best way of listening to music, after watching it being played live
- avenged sevenfold are vastly overrated, at least on record.

ZombieRockStar
2007-11-24, 06:59 PM
- vinyl is the second best way of listening to music, after watching it being played live

That's unpopular? I keep hearing that from audiophiles; I assumed it to be the popular opinion. Huh. I'd actually argue the opposite, anyways. I think the supposed superiority of vinyl is just a nostalgia effect.

All my best music memories are associated with cassette tapes, anyways. :smallamused:

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-24, 07:08 PM
That's unpopular? I keep hearing that from audiophiles; I assumed it to be the popular opinion.

It would be more accurate to say that it isn't a commonly contested opinion. Most people won't bring it up but plenty of people "in the know" will agree.

If you take the public as a whole then it probably isn't that popular as an opinion since most people but CDs.

Glawackus
2007-11-24, 07:44 PM
ACDC
Bright Eyes
Feist
MC Frontalot
Cursive
Dashboard Confessional (which is kinda embarrassing)
Dragonforce
Elliot Smith
Eva Cassidy
HORSE the Band
IMArobot
Imogen Heap
Jedi Mind Tricks
Wu Tang Clan
Job for a Cowboy
Jurassic 5
All songs from WE <3 KATAMARI
The Locust
Melt Banana

Dude. DUDE.
I get all angry every time I am reminded that J5 broke up. Feedback was mostly junk, in my opinion, but oh, how many times I have cried "But...but..Jurassic 5!" to all the "Rap is crap" haters. :smallfrown:

More unpopular opinion time:
-If you're not dancing with someone to Stairway, then Led Zeppelin is forgettable.
-To paraphrase Harlan Ellison (and, for some reason, express a thought about Christmas music again): Vince Guaraldi Trio's Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack is the best Christmas music ever, and I'll take you on, all in a bunch or one-on-one to back it up!
-If I can't understand the lyrics, it's not worth my time.
-Philip Glass is really good, and I don't mind the repetitiveness.

Scorpina
2007-11-24, 08:03 PM
Radiohead are massively overrated.

Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is better than Jeff Buckley's. And no, the latter is NOT more emotional. (Disclamer: I DO like Buckley, and his cover, but I prefer the original).

Most thrash metal is boring.

Page > Hendrix.

Clapton > Hendrix.

Drum solos are awesome.

Power Metal is the best metal.

Emrylon
2007-11-25, 01:38 PM
I like RHCP's new stuff as well as their old stuff

I don't like it when people stop listening to bands just because the band have become popular and they think it isn't 'cool' to like a poular band. Theres usually a reason that the band is popular...

Moff Chumley
2007-11-25, 04:45 PM
CSN(&Y)<Beatles, who are still awsome. Listen to Suite: Judy Blue Eyes, Carry On/Questions, Long Time Gone, Gueniverre, Ohio, Southern Man (Live), Wooden Ships...

The Beatles chief asset is thier movies, eg. Help, Hard Day's Night, Yellow Submarine, etc.

Stop Making Sense is the best live album ever recorded, and the best concert DVD.

More to come. :smallwink:

ElfLad
2007-11-28, 01:52 AM
Eric Clapton is only worth half a damn when he is working with other talented musicians (ex. Ginger Baker, Jack Bruce, Duane Allman, George Harrison). His solo stuff is awful.

Arlion
2007-12-20, 12:58 PM
Tenacious d is the best band in the world.together with pin floyd(roger waters)

.dragonforce sucks

ElfLad
2007-12-25, 01:44 AM
Tenacious d is the best band in the world.

Ah, yes, that reminds me.

Tenacious D is what you would get if you took Spinal Tap and removed every last vestige of subtlety, cleverness and charm.

It's still funny, but it's an abrasive, stupid sort of funny and it hurts me every time somebody compares them favorably to Spinal Tap.

Raiser Blade
2007-12-25, 01:47 AM
I hate Blink 182.

captain_decadence
2007-12-25, 02:04 AM
-I like a lot of stuff that comes on the pop/top 40 stations in my town. It's interesting.

-I find guitarists, drummers and singers unappealing but a saxophonist, bassist or violinist is the sexiest thing on two legs (or less, I'm not discriminating).

-I don't like rap mostly because I find that I can't understand it and the n-word is used. The music itself is not so bad.

-I like Madonna. "Like A Prayer" makes me happy.

-I have listened to both vinyl, CD and live. I like CD the best. I think vinyl is overrated and the sound quality is worse (it's just seen as cooler) and I think that shows are too crowded and noisy.

Azukius
2007-12-25, 02:17 AM
Led Zeppelin - rubbish.

Now come and lynch me, Zep fans!

as soon as i find the rope

Lord Rocket
2007-12-25, 06:36 AM
Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is better than Jeff Buckley's. And no, the latter is NOT more emotional. (Disclamer: I DO like Buckley, and his cover, but I prefer the original).

Seen, and raised by 'Jeff Buckley sucks immensely.'

Oh yeah. This thread is terrible. How is it that your opinions ore so 'unpopular' if most of the people in the thread share them?
[oldladyvoice] 'Oh, I don't like Dragonforce.' 'Oh, new Metallica is boring.' 'Oh, I think are overrated.' Et cetera.
Congratulations. Keep bucking those trends. Incidentally, most of the people who listen to that stuff aren't passionate enough about it to 'lynch' anyone.

Anyway. I am now going to make a few confessions which may actually be 'unpopular' in the context that I make them. But probably won't.
Firstly, I would like to say that pop music is currently as good as it has ever been. Destiny's Child are monstrous, and Avril Lavigne is the shiznit. I have also enjoyed basically everything I have heard that was produced by or features Timbaland, especially JT's new stuff. I am seriously considering buying his album, and even if I don't do that I will definitely buy the 'My Love' single, since it was pretty much the best song of 2006 (although it faces stiff competition in that regard from 'Predictions of Warfare' by Amon Amarth, 'Geryon's Throne' by Orthodox, and pretty much everything on Blood in Our Wells by Drudkh). I would consider it sad if the Sugababes broke up, too. Madonna's recent output has also been thoroughly enjoyable. 'Umbrella' by Rihanna also slays, and it is unfortunate that the rest of her stuff has been... well, crap.
Conversely, rock is a moribund, piggish pile slowly collapsing under its own bloated weight. I cannot honestly imagine another genre becoming so pathetic within the space of a generation. Once, it was innovative and exciting, the source of many of the best ideas modern music currently has. Now, it dishonours its own memory by being piteously derivative. It is the senile old man of music, obsessively thinking on better days and constantly regaling its distant descendants with its tiresome recollections. EVERY modern rock band is worthless - those moppish young men are the ghouls of the music industry, diseased revenants that drag up the corpses of the peaceful dead in order to rend them with tooth and talon.
Thankfully, some of the old fogeys are still going. How come an old fart like Nick Cave can make a better album (that would be Grinderman, folks) than any younger band, impeded as he is by his walking stick and encumbering cardigan?
Punk stinks too, and for the same reasons. Although a [i]very little bit less so (actually, there's a chance I only think that because punk has never been, in any point in its history, good enough to make its transition into mewling self-reference a disappointment).
Dragonforce are excellent. On that note, dismissing Herman Li by saying he isn't talented, and that he hides this by playing fast is stupid. It isn't easy to play fast. It takes talent and dedication to do so. However, I will agree that all their riffs sound the same - this is part of the charm, though.
Lyrics are dumb by definition, and I don't really want to hear them. Your average lyricist isn't John Donne, people. There just isn't enough room in the average song to craft genuinely meaningful poetry, and the philosophy of most musicians could best be described as 'vapid' anyway. For this reason, I prefer lyrics that are (a) sung, or otherwise delivered, in a manner complimentary to the music (since the music, after all, provides basically all of the emotional impact of any given song), by which I mean it should be growled or shrieked, and (b) not in English.
Chicks can't play.
Video game music is often as boring as the games. The exceptions are Psygnosis' stuff on Amiga and the C64 SID tune for 'Commando.' Stuff derived from real music, (ie. Doom's soundtrack) can be quite good sometimes too.
The absolute worst music in the world ever is Techno, or whatever it is called these days. It requires no wit, and has no charm. It is all exactly the same. I am not going to deny its utility - something to take drugs too - but to accord it the status of a 'genre' is beyond a joke. The people I pity most are those who die at raves (do raves even exist anymore? Who knows, who cares), since that empty pulsing will be the last sound they ever hear.

Actually, I hate more stuff than that, but holy crap is this post ever long and I really need to sleep off all the Christmas booze I have drunk. Goodnight and thanks for your patience.

Cuddly
2007-12-25, 07:03 AM
Seen, and raised by 'Jeff Buckley sucks immensely.'

Oh yeah. This thread is terrible. How is it that your opinions ore so 'unpopular' if most of the people in the thread share them?
[oldladyvoice] 'Oh, I don't like Dragonforce.' 'Oh, new Metallica is boring.' 'Oh, I think are overrated.' Et cetera.
Congratulations. Keep bucking those trends. Incidentally, most of the people who listen to that stuff aren't passionate enough about it to 'lynch' anyone.

Anyway. I am now going to make a few confessions which may actually be 'unpopular' in the context that I make them. But probably won't.
Firstly, I would like to say that pop music is currently as good as it has ever been. Destiny's Child are monstrous, and Avril Lavigne is the shiznit. I have also enjoyed basically everything I have heard that was produced by or features Timbaland, especially JT's new stuff. I am seriously considering buying his album, and even if I don't do that I will definitely buy the 'My Love' single, since it was pretty much the best song of 2006 (although it faces stiff competition in that regard from 'Predictions of Warfare' by Amon Amarth, 'Geryon's Throne' by Orthodox, and pretty much everything on Blood in Our Wells by Drudkh). I would consider it sad if the Sugababes broke up, too. Madonna's recent output has also been thoroughly enjoyable. 'Umbrella' by Rihanna also slays, and it is unfortunate that the rest of her stuff has been... well, crap.
Conversely, rock is a moribund, piggish pile slowly collapsing under its own bloated weight. I cannot honestly imagine another genre becoming so pathetic within the space of a generation. Once, it was innovative and exciting, the source of many of the best ideas modern music currently has. Now, it dishonours its own memory by being piteously derivative. It is the senile old man of music, obsessively thinking on better days and constantly regaling its distant descendants with its tiresome recollections. EVERY modern rock band is worthless - those moppish young men are the ghouls of the music industry, diseased revenants that drag up the corpses of the peaceful dead in order to rend them with tooth and talon.
Thankfully, some of the old fogeys are still going. How come an old fart like Nick Cave can make a better album (that would be Grinderman, folks) than any younger band, impeded as he is by his walking stick and encumbering cardigan?
Punk stinks too, and for the same reasons. Although a [i]very little bit less so (actually, there's a chance I only think that because punk has never been, in any point in its history, good enough to make its transition into mewling self-reference a disappointment).
Dragonforce are excellent. On that note, dismissing Herman Li by saying he isn't talented, and that he hides this by playing fast is stupid. It isn't easy to play fast. It takes talent and dedication to do so. However, I will agree that all their riffs sound the same - this is part of the charm, though.
Lyrics are dumb by definition, and I don't really want to hear them. Your average lyricist isn't John Donne, people. There just isn't enough room in the average song to craft genuinely meaningful poetry, and the philosophy of most musicians could best be described as 'vapid' anyway. For this reason, I prefer lyrics that are (a) sung, or otherwise delivered, in a manner complimentary to the music (since the music, after all, provides basically all of the emotional impact of any given song), by which I mean it should be growled or shrieked, and (b) not in English.
Chicks can't play.
Video game music is often as boring as the games. The exceptions are Psygnosis' stuff on Amiga and the C64 SID tune for 'Commando.' Stuff derived from real music, (ie. Doom's soundtrack) can be quite good sometimes too.
The absolute worst music in the world ever is Techno, or whatever it is called these days. It requires no wit, and has no charm. It is all exactly the same. I am not going to deny its utility - something to take drugs too - but to accord it the status of a 'genre' is beyond a joke. The people I pity most are those who die at raves (do raves even exist anymore? Who knows, who cares), since that empty pulsing will be the last sound they ever hear.

Actually, I hate more stuff than that, but holy crap is this post ever long and I really need to sleep off all the Christmas booze I have drunk. Goodnight and thanks for your patience.

Omg, lulz!!!!!

Moff Chumley
2007-12-25, 04:10 PM
@/\ I really hope you were baing sarcastic...

To say that all modern rock is horrible is severely ingnorant. Sure, mainstream music would not be the righ place to turn, but IMO it rarely is. The Mars Volta leaps to mind (probobly because I'm listening to 'em.) :smallamused: Pink Floyd on even more LSD+Miles Davis style jazz improv+Santana melding of hard rock and latin+Yes-like compositional exelence makes for a very enjoyable band. Ooh, I thought of another one! Spock's Beard! Terrific band, thier album Snow is more or less 26 songs that to any other band would be career defining singles. Each song could easily survive in the top 40, if the band had more name recognition... :smallfrown:

BTW, Merry Christmas!

ElfLad
2007-12-25, 11:49 PM
Chicks can't play.

Cram it; Joan Jett rocks harder than 98% of musicians this side of the 70s.

Meynolds
2007-12-26, 12:16 AM
as soon as i find the rope

I'll provide the Gallow's Pole for his Time of Dying. Perhaps he may ascend a Starway to Heaven? Or perhaps he is on a Highway to Rock Hell. Whoops, Rambling on into a different band there.

Hmm, four references. Not bad. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, to provide something constructive to this thread:

At my school there are several major music opinions that could be considered unpopular:

- Rap is not good.
- Country is not all bad.
- The best decade for music was the Seventies.

Lord Rocket
2007-12-26, 05:21 AM
Ha ha, that last post was way more aggressive than it really should have been. I shouldn't go on the internet after I've been drinking all day, and am coming down.
It's entirely correct, though, even if I was being a big unfair on women (I just couldn't think of any all-female bands or solo artists that I really like).

OK... I don't know who Joan Jett is, but that is almost certainly a pseudonym and it is terrible. Research reveals she was responsible for that song that Britney covered. Rock.
The Mars Volta is good, but, again, rather derivative, which is the main problem I have with modern rock (I didn't say it was horrible, by the way, I said it was worthless. Enjoyable things can be worthless. See that song 'The Way I Are' by Timbaland and... um, Keri something). They remind me an awful lot of Yes in the early 70s; rather more manic, but I don't think they stand the comparison. They also belong in the 'mainstream' category - as does anything, really, that gets radio play outside of niche shows. After all, if any given station thinks it will alienate more listeners than it will draw by playing a given song... well, it won't.
Also, I know someone with terrible taste who likes Spock's Beard, so I suspect I will not like them. I am, of course, being unfairly dismissive, but oh well. It's what I do.

ElfLad
2007-12-26, 07:36 PM
OK... I don't know who Joan Jett is, but that is almost certainly a pseudonym and it is terrible.

Dismissing a band because you don't like the singer/guitarist's name is the most retarded reason I've ever heard. And I've been on a Guitar Hero forum for a year and there is no end to the retarded reasons I've seen.

(P.S. What kind of rock star is named "Herman?" :smallconfused: )

Research reveals she was responsible for that song that Britney covered. Rock.

Britney Spears covered a song by The Rolling Stones too. Britney's crap covers means that Britney doesn't rock; it has nothing to do with Joan or Keith.

Also, because you're too lazy to do any real research (i.e. to discover whether she can play), here's one of my favorite songs of hers (http://youtube.com/watch?v=W-_An1qScVE). Whether or not you like it, you have to admit that since the song has over three chords, she's got more guitar-playing chops than most popular musicians today.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-27, 08:43 AM
I think it's deliciously ironic that Kanye West raps "don't anyone make real *&^! anymore?" over music blatantly ripped off (they excuse it by calling it sampling, but in this case, he sampled the ENTIRE SONG) from Daft Punk (who likely stole it from somewhere else)

Smeik
2007-12-28, 08:08 AM
[...]
I have also enjoyed basically everything I have heard that was produced by or features Timbaland, especially JT's new stuff. I am seriously considering buying his album, and even if I don't do that I will definitely buy the 'My Love' single, since it was pretty much the best song of 2006 (although it faces stiff competition in that regard from 'Predictions of Warfare' by Amon Amarth, 'Geryon's Throne' by Orthodox, and pretty much everything on Blood in Our Wells by Drudkh).
[...]

I had to laugh when i read this. Though I have to admit, Timbaland seems to be a really good producer. But I have to say, Drudkh sucks, utterly. compared with other bands in the same genre. Sadly, they are the most hyped band in the Black Metal Underground.

Conversely, rock is a moribund, piggish pile slowly collapsing under its own bloated weight. I cannot honestly imagine another genre becoming so pathetic within the space of a generation. Once, it was innovative and exciting, the source of many of the best ideas modern music currently has. Now, it dishonours its own memory by being piteously derivative. It is the senile old man of music, obsessively thinking on better days and constantly regaling its distant descendants with its tiresome recollections.
[...]

agreed, the genre Rock as such should have died about 15 years ago, only leaving metal in its way. (though Nick Cave is still awesome)

Punk stinks too, and for the same reasons. Although a very little bit less so (actually, there's a chance I only think that because punk has never been, in any point in its history, good enough to make its transition into mewling self-reference a disappointment).

Don't say bad things about punk, the modern punk songs has much more and better ways to express aggressive feelings (or any feeling) than any screamo or modern hard/metalcore band these days. Which, actually, all sound the same.

There actually are good songwirters around (sadly, they all seem to be germans and only provide song for one band at a time), though even if you have a brilliant text you can utterly screw it by underlaying it with mediocre music.

Chicks can't play.

So not true.

Oh, and Tobias Sammet looked better, when he still got long hair.

greetings, Smeik

Darken Rahl
2007-12-28, 08:38 AM
I hate how Timbaland uses the same sample 20 times in a song, and it's not just a loop, it's usually an annoying voice saying HUH or HEYEY HEYEY HEYEY.

And then sometimes he even uses the same sample in two different songs.

Grr.

Xuincherguixe
2007-12-28, 08:55 AM
How about this. I actually like slipknot.
(waits for the flames...)

But in all honesty, I've outgrown bashing whole genres. There's good stuff in all of them. Might be a bit harder to find in Rap and Country, but then that's given my own personal taste.

I'd like to see a bit more innovation in Heavy Metal. I love it, but with a few exceptions like Rob Zombie a lot of it is uninspired. (Yeah I know most of his songs are about Horror Movies. It still comes together pretty well.)

If I ever started a band, I'd want to write at least one song about Jesus that didn't suck. I'm not trashing Christainity, but I don't think there has ever been a good song about Jesus.

And lot's of stuff is over rated, but still good.

Darken Rahl
2007-12-28, 09:53 AM
There's good stuff in all of them.

I don't think there has ever been a good song about Jesus.

You're totally right about genres.

And try Michael Card. He's singer/songwriter-esque, but he writes really amazing songs.

Moff Chumley
2008-01-04, 08:38 PM
Also, I know someone with terrible taste who likes Spock's Beard, so I suspect I will not like them. I am, of course, being unfairly dismissive, but oh well. It's what I do.

... (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=171)

Only logic genocide instead.

Logic
2008-01-04, 09:14 PM
I can't stand The Beatles, most country, most rap, and most "cough metal."

Zarrexaij
2008-01-05, 02:33 AM
Well, it's generally not a very unpopular opinion among non-Tool fans, but what I'm about to say would get me lynched by rabid Tool fans (there's more of them than you think, I know some scary fanatic Tool fans):

- Schism is by far Tool's worst popular song. It would be a very "weak" song if not for the fact its lyrics are good. I don't know what Maynard, Danny, Adam, and Justin were thinking, but currraap, Schism is a slow, dragged out song by Tool standards. The Grudge and Lateralus are miles better than Schism. Wait a minute, the entirety of Lateralus is better than Schism!

- Stone Temple Pilots is awesome
- Pearl Jam > Nirvana
- Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam > Nirvana
- "Black Hole Sun" by Soundgarden needs more cowbell
- Ride the Lightning > Master of Puppets
- Guns and Roses sucks (I admit it, I sorta like their music, but it's not very good...)
- The 80's did NOT have the best music

zeratul
2008-01-05, 03:06 AM
and no, seriously..heavy metal is for the most part a way for talented musicians to cripple their performances and to produce "sound" without harmony.
and it can get worse... because the same sound can be obtained by folks who, in fact, have no talent at all..but for some reason manage to have the same level of recognition.

and no, I do not understand what the reason is for heavy metal having lyrics..
they don't really need them... and mostly are shouted and incomprehensible to anyone but the singer himself...and other blokes who go and look the lyrics up on the internet.
generally uf you go about and shout things like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggh" and "weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeergh" and whoooooooooooooooooooooooooo"
you cover half of the lyrics of any song and are able to shout along just fine.

and you get bonus exp for interpretation too:smallmad:

and hey...what about the shaking of the head....am I the only one with dandruff on the planet?......seriously..have a heart.

You seem to be mistaking all heavy metal for death metal, thrash, or black metal (genres which I do still like). Bruce dickonson of Iron Maiden had a great operatic quality to his voice, and Hansi Kursch of blind guardian continues to anoy some of my chorus type friends with his amazing vocal range.

Kraggi
2008-01-05, 03:09 AM
Here's an unpopular music opinion:

All music has it's good points, and everything really is worth listening to on some level.

Vaynor
2008-01-05, 03:13 AM
I don't really pay attention to whether music is popular or not – I like music because I enjoy the music and it entertains me. Meaningful lyrics and actual talent are just a bonus. *shrug*

Scorpina
2008-01-05, 09:37 AM
- Pearl Jam > Nirvana
- Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam > Nirvana
- Ride the Lightning > Master of Puppets
- Guns and Roses sucks (I admit it, I sorta like their music, but it's not very good...)

I agree. Have a cookie.

Moff Chumley
2008-01-05, 07:38 PM
I don't really pay attention to whether music is popular or not – I like music because I enjoy the music and it entertains me. Meaningful lyrics and actual talent are just a bonus. *shrug*

Thats probobly the least unpopular oppinion out there in musical elitist world. Just a heads up. :smallwink:

Vaynor
2008-01-07, 01:48 AM
Thats probobly the least unpopular oppinion out there in musical elitist world. Just a heads up. :smallwink:

I wasn't saying that as an unpopular opinion... more like a response to the thread. :smalltongue:

Milanius
2008-01-09, 02:44 PM
I like Soulfly a bit better than I do Sepultura. I dislike 'old' metal, which is [to me] most of the times nothing but useless solo crap on solo guitars, without any precise, brutal, straight-to-point riffs.
I also like old, pre-2000, rap music, and absolutely loathe this pile of crap that passes for rap & hip-hop nowadays.

In addition, I'd just like to add that it'e everyone's preferred deity-given right to like/dislike one song from a certain band, or one band over another. Hell, I even love some GnR songs, although as a total, they were a complete PoS band, with a PoS singer.

p.s.: I also forgot to mention that bands who pass for 'hard core' nowadays aren't fit to lick the boots of some old-school bands like SOIA, Pro-Pain or Biohazard.
[/vulgarbarbarianrant]

Zarrexaij
2008-01-09, 10:56 PM
Atreyu is crap.

Oh, wait, is that an unpopular music opinion?

thedavo
2008-01-10, 05:06 PM
Atreyu is crap.

Oh, wait, is that an unpopular music opinion?if it is, it's one i agree with. i saw them a couple of years ago with norma jean and he is legend opening. he is legend were pretty good, norma jean destroyed the place, and atreyu were so rubbish i left after their second song (which, ironically was "a song for the optimists"), as i didnt think they were going to get any better.

rubakhin
2008-01-11, 05:11 AM
Bring back castrati. Devil take the civil rights of children. :smallannoyed:

I hate Poulenc. Well, not Poulenc himself, as he seemed like a genuinely good person and was a fascinating historical figure, but with a few exceptions, his compositions are intolerable.

Also, this is my opinion of every metal band, ever:

http://m.assetbar.com/uua2m2Pm9.gif

Shadow of the Sun
2008-01-11, 06:06 AM
Jesu (the band) looks upon you with shame, rubhakin.

H. Zee
2008-01-11, 01:19 PM
Some nu metal is actually quite good!

There, I said it. Don't judge me.

Smeik
2008-01-11, 02:13 PM

Not only Jesu, but very much bands let their bassist play more than one not. And have actually good songwriting.

Perhaps where he's from, they only have Death and Black Metal.:smallbiggrin:

Most Nu Metal is actually quite good, if you are able to ignore those band sthat are not and their nromal audience.:smallsigh:

greetings, Smeik

thedavo
2008-01-11, 03:26 PM

as does Om.

rubakhin
2008-01-11, 04:23 PM
Perhaps where he's from, they only have Death and Black Metal.:smallbiggrin:

In Soviet Russia, we have only vodka-soaked guitarist, playing three chords and mumbling in gravelly voice about gulag. :smallannoyed:

*listens to Jesu; Om*

Meh. :smalltongue:

Moff Chumley
2008-01-11, 08:05 PM

Why not? :furious: I hate Nu Metal. It has absolutely no merit compared to, say, Slayer, Megadeth, Dream Theater, etc...

Zarrexaij
2008-01-11, 08:14 PM
Why not? :furious: I hate Nu Metal. It has absolutely no merit compared to, say, Slayer, Megadeth, Dream Theater, etc...Eww, Dream Theater. :smalltongue:

Smeik
2008-01-12, 05:51 AM
Why not? :furious: I hate Nu Metal. It has absolutely no merit compared to, say, Slayer, Megadeth, Dream Theater, etc...

Ewww, Slayer :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Vaire
2008-01-12, 10:41 AM
Unpopular music opinion:

The Rolling Stones just aren't that fun to listen to.

King Crimson is better than Yes or Pink Floyd.

The Monkeys were not secretly musical geniuses. (that one is for my sister and her friends)

And rap is not music. Period. It may be an art form. But it is not music.

thedavo
2008-01-12, 03:34 PM
Eww, Dream Theater. :smalltongue:

Eww, Slayer. :smalltongue:

agreed on both points, Slayer were awful last time i saw them, and are generally vastly overrated (the only band that stank more that weekend was Mastodon), and Dream Theater are just boring.

now if you excuse me i'm going to hide from all the prog and metal-heads that i've just upset with this fact.

Mephisto
2008-01-13, 10:07 PM

This. I acquired Reign in Blood and was very unimpressed.

Mephisto
2008-01-13, 10:21 PM

This. I acquired Reign in Blood and was very unimpressed.