PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spell combo help?

aglondier
2021-05-15, 01:58 AM
Our party contains an evocation heavy sorceror, a druid, a shaman and an enchanter (wizard) who is feeling a little outgunned by the sorceror. We are trying to convince him to stop memorizing evocations (because they take up 2 slots) but we need to give him something to contribute with. Are there any enchantment, illusion or transmutation spells that will handicap the enemy reflex saves? Can anyone suggest some spell combos we could aim him towards?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-15, 02:46 AM
Paralyzed targets effectively have 0 Dex and 0 Str, which means they automatically fail reflex saves. Hold Person/Monster does this, and Bouncing Spell can make those stick better by giving it a second chance to land on another target.

The Shaken condition imposes a -2 to saving throws, among other things.

An Entangled creature takes a -4 penalty to Dexterity, which means -2 to their reflex saves. Tanglefoot bags can accomplish this, and gives him a way to contribute without spending spell slots.

Fatigued and Exhausted creatures take a penalty to their Dex scores as well.

Kurald Galain
2021-05-15, 03:19 AM
What level?

And also, if he wants to contribute, why on earth would he be focusing on penalizing reflex saves? Try spells like Slow or Haste instead; or the various cloud spells; or Fear.

aglondier
2021-05-15, 10:02 AM
Just hit level 6.

In our last few battles, a surprising number of opponents succeeded their reflex saves against our area effect spells.
I had forgotten about haste, I'll have to make sure he picks it...

Kurald Galain
2021-05-15, 01:30 PM
In our last few battles, a surprising number of opponents succeeded their reflex saves against our area effect spells.
It strikes me that a more effective response is not to try and penalize reflex saves, but to use your knowledge checks to figure out which defense is weakest, then use a spell that targets that. Wizards excel at knowledge checks, of course.