PDA

View Full Version : Half-Fiend of Wisdom and Health

Ruethgar
2021-05-15, 08:34 AM
I’m making a character who I plan on cheesing the half-fiend template onto, but I want a fiend with high Con and Wis to base the template from via the rules on variant half-fiends. Does anyone know a fiend that has high Con and Wis relative to their other stats? If there’s a way to make celestials fiends, a celestial would work too.

Dretch: 4/2/6/0/2/2 only a +2 Wis, but that +6 Con is great. Would still like to find a more balanced Wis/Con ratio.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-15, 10:34 AM
http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a

These adjustments may not fit the model fiend very well. Let's rearrange them in a more fluid way. The total modifier for the template is +16 ability points. To see how the model fiend's stats are weighted, you can just look at them, or you can do a more complex math calculation. Subtract 10 from all even ability scores, and 11 from odd ones, to get the model fiend's ability modifiers. Then, assign your +16 points in a proportional manner to the modifiers of the model fiend, though you should not give any ability more than a +8 modifier. Because the half-fiend template doesn't modify Wisdom, I don't suggest that you rearrange your modifiers to affect the base creature's Wisdom score.

It specifically says that Half-Fiend shouldn't modify the base creature's wisdom score, even if the fiend you're basing it on has a high wisdom.

Most fiends with a high Wis score have high stats in every ability, so you'll end up with a more even spread. I think an Ekolid from FCI would work: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 13 would probably translate to Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +6, Cha +2, or maybe even Dex +4, Con +4, Wis +8. However, just look at the thing's picture and you'll want to pick something different. It's more likely to lay chest-burster eggs in a host creature than it is to impregnate a non-fiend.

Ruethgar
2021-05-15, 01:36 PM
Damn, hadn’t reread the article fully. It is just a suggestion not an outright don’t, but to stick with the spirit I think I’ll go with something else. With the appearance in mind, might just wana be one of Graz’zt’s kids. He’s certain to have a lot. Str 26, Dex 30, Con 28, Int 35, Wis 22, Cha 39. +2 Con +4 Dex +4 Int +6 Cha looks close, maybe even skip the Con for more Int.

Could just use point buy on the Wis and Con and dump Int and Cha and still have decent stats. It is a monk-ish psychic character so could just skip the Wis and go Tash. I like the idea of Wis more, but eh, can work with Int.

Thurbane
2021-05-15, 04:38 PM
If the DM allows the template to modify Wisdom, here's a few suggestions:

24 Wis: Pleasure Devil, Remmanon, Sibriex
22 Wis: Assassin Devil, Gelugon, Nalfenshee, Sorrowsworn Demon

ShurikVch
2021-05-16, 07:23 AM
While not exactly what you're looking for (because not a template), Cambion Baron - from Expedition to the Demonweb Pits - gets +5 Con and +6 Wis; 6 HD and LA +5