PDA

View Full Version : What potential does this have?

SangoProduction
2021-05-15, 08:48 AM
Oozemolded Armaments (Su): Any weapon you wield gains the greater transformative special ability. You may activate this greater transformative special ability (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/magic-weapon-special-abilities/transformative-greater/#:~:text=A%20greater%20transformative%20weapon%20b ecomes,handed%2C%20melee%2C%20and%20ranged.)once per round a free action. Natural attacks, unarmed strikes, and ammunition (such as shuriken) cannot be transformed into other weapon types, and you cannot transform weapons into natural attacks, unarmed strikes, or ammunition.

In addition, you can treat any weapon transformed by this ability as though it were still the original weapon for any feats, effects, or abilities you have that specifically apply to that type of weapon (such as Weapon Focus, fighter’s weapon training, warpriest’s sacred weapon, or faithful shepherd cleric’s divine guidance divine work). For example, a battleaxe transformed into a spear would still be treated as a battleaxe for the Weapon Focus feat, weapon training for axes, or as your deity’s favored weapon despite being a different type of weapon, in addition to being treated as a spear and having the properties of a spear. Feats, effects and abilities cannot apply to a transformed weapon more than once (possessing Weapon Focus for the base weapon and the new form would not grant benefits twice). You cannot use abilities that require a specific type of weapon if the transformed weapon’s current form does not support it.

You cannot double dip on feats. But this does potentially let you benefit from two sets of normally mutually exclusive weapon feats (due to applying to different weapons). And you can have the worse weapon be the base form so that you can benefit from a better form.

That sounds like it has potential. But I don't even know where to begin looking for such feats.

But anyway. A free action transformation does seem potentially very valuable if not every fight is just an empty, featureless plane where everyone is just going to brawl it out in the middle.

And even if they are just flat featureless planes of accelerated time, still seems like it has potential. You get to just invest into one or two weapons, and suddenly you can engage at any range (that you can hit with the longest range weapon), and then brawl with the same enchantments thereafter.
And of course, Large and larger size Reach weapons have a much longer reach, but also much larger dead zone, where simply 5ft stepping isn't enough. Or even 10ft step eventually.
If they get that deep into your reach, you can then free action shift to a greatsword, and bonk them on the head.

Zanos
2021-05-16, 05:16 PM
Seems like this is similar to aptitude, so you could look at some of those tricks. Using lightning maces with maces transformed into high crit range weapons or boomerangs transformed into something actually good with boomerang daze are two tricks I remember off the top of my head.

SangoProduction
2021-05-16, 08:30 PM
Seems like this is similar to aptitude, so you could look at some of those tricks. Using lightning maces with maces transformed into high crit range weapons or boomerangs transformed into something actually good with boomerang daze are two tricks I remember off the top of my head.

Ooo. Good point. There are some nice uses for aptitude weapons in 3.5

Best similar thing I am getting for pathfinder is merely Martial Versatility, and the best thread I have found was this https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2onik?Martial-Versatility

I do like Net Adept, since getting to treat any weapon as a 10 ft reach weapon is interesting. Although you can already get a similar enough effect by shifting to a reach weapon.

And of course, dex to hit and damage with any weapon, allowing you to safely dump strength as a melee would be interesting.