PDA

View Full Version : Tome of Magic in Eberron

Caduceus
2007-11-12, 12:08 AM
I just got Tome of Magic within the past week. I know, I'm way behind schedule and the book will be "obsolete" within a year. Still, I like the magic systems included, but I wonder how they fit into the Eberron campaign setting.

Thoughts?

Kizara
2007-11-12, 12:10 AM
Don't know much about Eberron, but I personally found ToM pretty underpowered (not compared to super-optimized combos or cheese, but compared to Magic Missile and Scorching Ray). Binder's aren't bad though.

Zincorium
2007-11-12, 12:13 AM
I just got Tome of Magic within the past week. I know, I'm way behind schedule and the book will be "obsolete" within a year. Still, I like the magic systems included, but I wonder how they fit into the Eberron campaign setting.

Thoughts?

As is supposed to be typical for eberron, if it exists in D&D, you can include it.

The binders really don't make sense out of silver-flame controlled areas, but they can be readily explained in any of the ways detailed in tome of magic. Shadow magic isn't much more than a specific philosophy of casting arcane magic, so while there isn't a need for it, it doesn't break anything.

If anything, truenaming is the hardest to fit in. Essentially, it's a class which requires the entire campaign to conform to it's fluff to exist (one of the reasons I don't really like it). You could use it, but I wouldn't.

Kyeudo
2007-11-12, 12:40 AM
Truenaming is just an outgrowth of the verbal components of spells, so it is relatively simple to look at it as an unusual branch of arcane magic, similar to how the abilities of a warlock could be an unusual outgrowth of sorcery.

Interestingly enough, truenaming is already incorporated into at least part of Eberron. It is specificaly mentioned as a source of magic that one of the power groups of Sarlona use. Just check Secrets of Sarlona, the Adar section IIRC.

PnP Fan
2007-11-12, 12:55 AM
I've not had the chance yet to incorporate ToM into my Eberron campaign, but here are my thoughts on how I would do so.

Binders invite souls into their bodies. To me, the fluff has a definite Cthulu-esque feel, and I tend to use them for non-cleric members of my Cults of the Dragon Below.
Though, for a less creepy take on it, and a slight change in fluff, there is a section in the ECS that describes possession and channelling of otherplanar beings. You could easily use the Binder class to represent someone particularly skilled at creating this kind of connection. That would both allow for good and evil characters, and still be unsettling enough that most commoners wouldn't want the Binder around.

The fluff for Truenamers kind of makes me think of people who have a greater understanding of the fundamental principles of magic (though, from what I hear, the crunch doesn't really carry through on this). I would normally put this in the hands of the ancient Giant civilizations, or those who studied that magic firsthand. This would include creatures like the Drow (who still live amongst the ruins of Xendrik), Dragons (who gave magic to the world long ago), and some of the most ancient schools of Elven magic.

I haven't come up with fluff connecting the Shadowcasters to anything in particular, though I can definitely see some dragon marked elves finding a use for it.

I've really had more problems connecting Incarnum to anything else. Anyone have any ideas?

illathid
2007-11-12, 01:36 AM
I always thought attaching the Truenaming stuff to the draconic prophesy wouldn't be a bad idea.

Caduceus
2007-11-12, 08:02 AM
Well, I know there are tribes of drow in Xen'drik who embrace the dark nature of their bodies and magic, so it seems a logical extension that they might be particularly adept at Shadow Magic. There's also mention made somewhere in one of the expedition logs on the WotC site that a professor at Morgrave is a skilled binder.