PDA

View Full Version : Secret 40k Campaigns

Geordnet
2021-05-16, 12:30 PM
So, a while back I read a story about a GM who pulled a surprise on one of their players by telling them to build a character for a low fantasy setting, but in session zero the rest of the party showed up in a spaceship to pick him up for a Rogue Trader campaign. I always thought this was an underutilized concept, since the 40k universe covers such a vast range in both space a time, you could put insert practically any low-mid fantasy world into it almost seamlessly. I figure, why not go bigger?

My goal here is to design some campaigns where the big twist is that the setting is actually 40k. Now, before I start I want to establish a couple of rules to limit the potential for players to feel like they were lied to (in a bad way) by the GM:

There needs to be significant build-up and foreshadowing for anything obviously non-fantasy: e.g. the PCs hear rumors of a "blue dragon" before seeing a Thunderhawk gunship.
No blatantly obvious "this is 40k" signs before the climax: e.g. no random mooks screaming "for the emperor" in the first session.
It should be clear by the end of the campaign (to anyone paying attention) that, at a bear minimum, the setting is secretly sci-fi instead of fantasy.
The campaign needs to have an obvious stopping point and not drag on too long, so the players can decide whether or not to continue in a setting they didn't sign up for.

So, here are a few ideas:

Once, the Church of Truth—an "atheist religion" that believes in the inherent divinity of man before any higher power—held sway over the entire continent, but a thousand years ago its power began to crumble and wane. In recent centuries, secular princes only tolerate it for the essential service they provide in exterminating dangerous witches, warlocks, and demons, while the sight of a court wizard has become less rare.

But recently, the Church has undergone a sudden reformation after receiving an influx of new blood from a distant land. They've become much more aggressive (and let it be said, successful) in rooting out cults, and it's only a matter of time before they start to purge the nobility.

A Duke's Senechal has contracted the party to "investigate" a person known as "Herald", a quarter-giant noble from the same distant country as the new clergymen.

This world was originally conquered by the Imperium in the Great Crusade, but was cut off by a warp storm c.M33 (before the Imperial Creed was fully established).

"Herald" is a Rogue Trader who recently rediscovered the world after the warp storm subsided. Sensing an opportunity, he didn't report the discovery until arriving at a nearby shrine world to pick up some "missionaries": by leading the conversion effort himself, he can secure planetary governorship. People think he's a "quarter-giant" because he's got high-end gene mods and wears power armor.

The rogue trader's ship ("merely" a corvette) is in high orbit, appearing to the naked eye as simply one more faint star amongst thousands (although perhaps a few devoted sky-watchers have noticed it). If Herald dies, the crew will launch an orbital strike in revenge, then leave. (Sequel hook is them returning a few years later with reinforcements... Like, maybe a bunch of old guardsmen who've been promised land to retire on.)

The Senechal is secretly involved with a cult of a demon of Tzeench that's been trapped on this world since the warp storm began (said storm was caused by it being sealed here by someone whose identity has been forgotten, and the storm stopped because it had been weakened by the church's efforts). The leader of said cult would be the Court Wizard, who's smart enough to not actually trust/worship Chaos, but dumb enough to think that'll make a difference. The party's mission doubles as testing the PCs to see if they're worthy of induction: midway through the campaign, the party gets the choice between siding with the cult to oust the church, or siding with the church to destroy the cult.

The world is savage and primitive, without any fantasy races (except conniving demons and mysterious elves, neither available for PCs) but with monsters everywhere. All men worship the Great Father and his Angels, which come to the world once a decade to host a grand tournament to select the most mighty of young men to Ascend. They aren't restricted to taking only the champion: they can take whoever they feel is worthy and sometimes even refuse to take the champion. Other, slightly-less-worthy become Wardens, who serve the angels and are the arbiters of justice worldwide: not even chieftains or warlords are above them.

Magic is strongly forbidden, all those who are found using it are either killed by the Wardens or arrested, never to be seen again.

The time of the Trials has come again, and the players seek to compete.

It's an Astartes recruitment world. The campaign's just the tournament at first; after that, it can continue into Astartes training and a more conventional 40k campaign with the surviving PCs.

As a variant, you can make this the recruitment world for a traitor chapter (or one about to turn) and allow magic builds to compete.

This one isn't fantasy, but post-apocalyptic (the GM doesn't say it's Earth, but doesn't say otherwise, either). It's been long enough that nobody remembers the details, only that it involved "abominable intelligence", legions of "machine men", and that at the end "the faithful cried out, and the gods of steel smote the land with holy fire from above."

The players start off in a bunker contolled by this waco-like cult (which worships "cyber-christ", if anyone asks) where the leadership's inner circle doesn't let anyone else touch the life support system. They've been abusing their power as the "maintainers" for generations and now don't actually know anything about how to repair it if it breaks. So of course when an earthquake happened something did break, and the players are sent out to get a replacement.

They're told to travel the wasteland to "The Final Assembly", a ruined mega-city inhabited only by gangs of scavengers, and mindless cyborgs which continue to operate the factories. (Where the materials come from and where the finished products go is unknown: most scavs simply assume it's a giant loop of recycling.) The scavs and cyborgs don't interact unless it's the former stealing from an assembly line or the latter acquiring "replacement parts".

However, on their travels they learn of a new breed of "mutant" that has appeared, hulking green brutes that have terrible aim but terrifying strength and toughness. Whatever caused their appearance seems to have greatly agitated the cyborgs...

The setting's a forge world that had a heretech rebellion that started when some magos discovered either a broken Dark Age AI or a sleeping Necron tomb, and ended when a Titan Legion arrived. Afterwards, the Mechanicus just restaffed the factories with servitors and left the human survivors to fend for themselves. "The Final Assembly" sends its finished products off to the planetary spaceport (separated from the playable area by an impassible radioactive desert) via underground rail, and receives its materials the same way.

The "vault" was a hideout for some low-ranked heretechs; over generations of isolation their already-heterodox version of the Mechanicus religion has been mostly abandoned as anything more than a pretext for keeping the "engineers" in control. The scavs are more pious in their worship of "the gods of steel" (aka the Titans) and superstitiously believe that any unknown machine they come across may have sentience (which isn't completely wrong: there's still heretech artifacts laying around).

The earthquake which set off the campaign was caused by an Ork Rok hitting the ground: the crater should be visible in the distance to the PCs shortly after leaving the "vault"—checking it out would require diverting slightly from the path to the megacity and finding a way to cross a heavily irradiated zone safely. The Rok had been shot down by orbital defenses, so most of the Orks onboard are dead—the orkoid-fungus loves the radiation, though, so there will be a new Whaaagh in a couple months if the players ignore it.

In the end, it really doesn't matter whether the party saves the vault or not. The BBEG is the Ork warboss: as long as he's killed or the Whaaagh is otherwise stopped (or at least sent in a direction away from anything the PCs care about) then the campaign should be considered a "victory". There are a few ways they could achieve this:

If the players try to communicate with the servitors in the factory and mention the Orks (or are otherwise persistent enough), they'll be able to talk to a living Magos. Said techpriest doesn't have time to educate savages, but doesn't try to hide anything, either. If asked for aid, he reveals that the skitarii are busy fighting off more successful Ork landings on the other side of the planet, but is willing to provide an effectively unlimited number of weapons and a far more limited number of combat servitors (he will not, under any circumstances, take essential servitors off the assembly line or otherwise reduce production).

If the players become friends with enough gangs of scavs, they might be able to assemble a great alliance to fight the Orks. The bloody carnage will lure the warboss into the open, where the PCs can fight him (or better yet, blast him with artillery). There will be far less human death if the scavs can get supplied with weapons from the factory (including through theft).

If it comes to a siege of the vault with the PC inside, the Orks will not stop coming. They may get beaten back temporarily, but there is no escape (unless they can somehow get outside assistance). However, the vault leaders are hiding a bunch of heretech that can be repurposed into weapons. They will not willingly tell the PCs this and are too cowardly to simply blow up the vault if it gets overrun (they'll want to surrender instead, which will go as you'd expect). But the PCs can use this cache to go out in a blaze of glory or attempt to cut their way to freedom, though they'll have to kill the warboss first.

Finally, who knows what the PCs could find in the waste? A Forgotten Titan? Dark Age Stealth Tech? Loose Nukes? Or they could just ride off into the sunset, letting the wasteland fend for itself.

These are just my initial ideas (free to any GM who wants them). Does anyone else have their own?

Bohandas
2021-05-18, 12:45 AM
The players start off in a bunker contolled by this waco-like cult (which worships "cyber-christ", if anyone asks) where the leadership's inner circle doesn't let anyone else touch the life support system. They've been abusing their power as the "maintainers" for generations and now don't actually know anything about how to repair it if it breaks.

I think this particular one may be recognized as WH40K pretty early on, although it will likely be interpreted as a cargo cult version of the imperial cult rather than the actual explanation you give.

Grim Portent
2021-05-18, 04:48 AM
I had an idea a while back, never got to run it though, of a Black Crusade game set on a chaos worshipping feudal world. Early game would be all about hunting monsters, fighting other feudal forces, putting down bandits and so on, with a few 'relics' which are weirdly desribed vox units, guns and advanced melee weapons that the locals don't understand.

Then an Imperial Guard regiment makes planetfall. Chaos empowered soldiers fighting the tanks and gunlines of the guard with ensorcelled blades and demonic steeds in defence of their world.

Eldan
2021-05-18, 04:59 AM
I had an idea for running a 40k campaign (hadn't decided on Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader yet) with players who didn't know much about 40k. My idea for introducing them to the setting was that they'd be feral worlders, from a tribe of bronze age farmers. They'd be part of the Imperium, but only very loosely. Planetary economy below notice of the tithe, worshipping a sky-father deity with an army of metal angels that is sufficiently compliant with imperial canon, never been involved in any major conflict.

I'd run them through a short tutorial-ish mission where they'd fight mutants or cultists of the same tech level, which would give them great honour in their tribe. Then, an emissary of the sky father would descend from heaven on a fiery steed and say that he's here because he needs the greatest warriors of the tribe for his retinue. He would then be sufficiently impressed that some primitives fought the taint of chaos with bows and spears, so he'd take them along.

Not "secret" 40k as such, but going in a similar direction.

Geordnet
2021-05-18, 02:05 PM
I think this particular one may be recognized as WH40K pretty early on
I suppose you could always spin it the other way, and drive home to the players that it's 40k so they don't notice the plot is nearly a carbon-copy of the original Fallout.

I had an idea a while back, never got to run it though, of a Black Crusade game set on a chaos worshipping feudal world. […] Then an Imperial Guard regiment makes planetfall. Chaos empowered soldiers fighting the tanks and gunlines of the guard with ensorcelled blades and demonic steeds in defence of their world.

Ah, I hadn't really considered a chaos-worshipping world. I mean, weren't there tons of worlds with "magic" during the Great Crusade that didn't explicitly worship The Four? (Including several Primarchs' homeworlds...)

I'd also wanted to have a campaign with the Black Templars in it, since the fluff says they are constantly capturing new worlds, but I couldn't figure out anything that wouldn't end up as "pods drop, everybody purged".

I had an idea for running a 40k campaign (hadn't decided on Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader yet) with players who didn't know much about 40k. […] Then, an emissary of the sky father would descend from heaven on a fiery steed and say that he's here because he needs the greatest warriors of the tribe for his retinue.

I take it that's an inquisitor? I'm wondering how he even noticed the goings-on of a backwater. Was he looking for something (or someone) specific, perhaps?

I'd also be careful to avoid ending up with a homogenous party (they're all effectively barbarians). Maybe for the first off-world mission, each PC gets to shadow a different NPC (e.g. guardsman, ganger, arbites, scribe, sister, priest, techpriest) to see how things get done in the 41st Millenium. Afterwards, the players can exchange notes and decide what 40k skillset their PC will train in.

(I was going to include commissar on that list, but that would not end well. Likewise with psykers or astartes.)

Another way to do this idea (if the players are okay with a high mortality rate) would be to have the PCs get drafted into the guard.

Eldan
2021-05-18, 02:33 PM
I mean, you'd have to build the story around it. Inquisitor is chasing some plot, he recently lost most of his henchmen, he urgently needs muscle, these primitives is all he can get on this planet.

Geordnet
2021-05-18, 04:38 PM
Hm. That seems like you'd be putting a ton of burden on a keystone NPC (or worse, DMPC) to guide the players. You'd also have to lampshade why a gang of barbarians who literally need to told which end of a lasgun to hold is a better option than simply going to a different planet.

Perhaps the campaign should instead start with a gravely wounded Inquisitor being discovered by the PCs' deathworld tribe. The Inquisitor explains that he'd been betrayed by his retinue, which is now searching for him to finish the job. So, the PCs need to deal with the traitors (who have 40k tech) using their wit, survival skills, and knowledge of the (deadly) environment. If they succeed with that, they can connect with other loyalists, and help the inquisitor retrieve whatever macguffin he was on this planet to look for. (Or maybe they decide to work with the traitors instead.)

Bohandas
2021-05-19, 12:40 AM
It occurs to me that you could fit WH40K right into Ravenloft; the whole Terran empire is just 0ne huge island of terror

Eldan
2021-05-19, 03:36 AM
Hm. That seems like you'd be putting a ton of burden on a keystone NPC (or worse, DMPC) to guide the players. You'd also have to lampshade why a gang of barbarians who literally need to told which end of a lasgun to hold is a better option than simply going to a different planet.

Perhaps the campaign should instead start with a gravely wounded Inquisitor being discovered by the PCs' deathworld tribe. The Inquisitor explains that he'd been betrayed by his retinue, which is now searching for him to finish the job. So, the PCs need to deal with the traitors (who have 40k tech) using their wit, survival skills, and knowledge of the (deadly) environment. If they succeed with that, they can connect with other loyalists, and help the inquisitor retrieve whatever macguffin he was on this planet to look for. (Or maybe they decide to work with the traitors instead.)

I mean, if I was going to run it, it would probably be a short 2-4 session thing intended to introduce people to the setting in a bottom-up kind of way. It's a rather specific circumstance.
First, put them into something that is familiar to fantasy roleplayers, then introduce Imperial concepts. Session one, Deathworld barbarians, introduce the idea of chaos and the inquisition.
Session two, they make contact with someone in space and are taken aboard, showing the concept of mile-long gothic cathedral spaceships crewed by servitors and clans of spacer menials who have never seen a planet,thus introducing the idea of a decaying future long past its prime where humanity slowly slides into darkness.
Session three, warp jump shenanigans. Session four, imperial hive world with its parade of terrors, showing the sheer mind-boggling scale of the imperium.You lived on a world with a few thousand people in scattered tribes. There's more people in this room than you've ever seen in one place. Three's two hundred such rooms on this level, five hundred such levels and twenty such hab spires on this continent. This is one hive world in this sector. There's thousands of sectors. The imperium has millions of worlds, which is still only a fraction of the 200 billion stars in the galaxy. This has been going on for 40'000 years on unimaginable scale and probably most of the galaxy still has never seen a human.

At which point they are probably ready for a more normal campaign.

Geordnet
2021-05-19, 03:50 PM
I mean, if I was going to run it, it would probably be a short 2-4 session thing intended to introduce people to the setting in a bottom-up kind of way. It's a rather specific circumstance.
Session four, imperial hive world with its parade of terrors, showing the sheer mind-boggling scale of the imperium.You lived on a world with a few thousand people in scattered tribes. There's more people in this room than you've ever seen in one place. Three's two hundred such rooms on this level, five hundred such levels and twenty such hab spires on this continent. This is one hive world in this sector. There's thousands of sectors. The imperium has millions of worlds, which is still only a fraction of the 200 billion stars in the galaxy. This has been going on for 40'000 years on unimaginable scale and probably most of the galaxy still has never seen a human.

At which point they are probably ready for a more normal campaign.

Hm, sounds good but the pacing is odd. Let me think...

I still like the idea of starting with a betrayed Inquisitor, for several reasons. So that would be the first adventure.

Second adventure (aboard the ship) should probably also introduce the Mechanicus and how they operate. For action, maybe the Inquisitor (or a backup loyalist NPC in case he dies) returns to the ship with a barbarian warband in tow to purge what remains of the conspiracy.

For the third adventure, supernatural shenanigans sounds perfect.

For the fourth, however, a hive city seems like it'd be somewhat redundant with the ship (at least in terms of showing scale and decay). I'd suggest an active warzone instead, since that's really where the heart of the setting is. Perhaps Guard vs. Orks, to show off the Imperium's callousness regarding human life and the 40k spin on the staple fantasy race. (Actually, why not do both? Go to Armageddon.)

noob
2021-05-20, 03:09 AM

I still like the idea of starting with a betrayed Inquisitor, for several reasons. So that would be the first adventure.

Second adventure (aboard the ship) should probably also introduce the Mechanicus and how they operate. For action, maybe the Inquisitor (or a backup loyalist NPC in case he dies) returns to the ship with a barbarian warband in tow to purge what remains of the conspiracy.

For the fourth, however, a hive city seems like it'd be somewhat redundant with the ship (at least in terms of showing scale and decay). I'd suggest an active warzone instead, since that's really where the heart of the setting is. Perhaps Guard vs. Orks, to show off the Imperium's callousness regarding human life and the 40k spin on the staple fantasy race. (Actually, why not do both? Go to Armageddon.)

Some people do 6+ hours sessions so that pacing might be slower than you think it is.
The other detail is that if you plan to do 4 adventures the odds you stop in the middle for RL reasons or loss of interest for some players is extra high.
Finally not everybody have the same tastes in pacing: personally I like fast pacing.

Eldan
2021-05-20, 03:18 AM

I mean, a warzone might be good, but if I'm introducing them to Dark Heresy and not the tabletop, I don't think aliens are all that crucial. I think to get the right tone for Dark Heresy across, the points I'd mainly focus on are scale and decay, brutality and necessity, the enemy within, and the general post-historical stasis of 40k. I think that for most Dark Heresy games, while the Empire is always at war, the war is for the most part distant, though there is of course the constant threat of the war coming here. But Inquisitors focus on different enemies. All the callous disregard for human life, none of the screaming aliens, that can come later. The important part, I think, is the "One of Untold Billions", as the flavour text says.

If I were to introduce, say, orcs or chaos space marines, or nids into the setting, it would be more as an "this is why we fight" incentive to impress the necessity of all the brutality on the new recruits, not as enemies for them to fight, really. "Recruit, we have to throw five thousand psychic babies into this meatgrinder, because it makes the Guard .3% more efficient. Otherwise, we all suffer a fate worse than death."

Geordnet
2021-05-20, 09:46 AM
Some people do 6+ hours sessions so that pacing might be slower than you think it is.

I suppose it might be best to merge the second and third adventures, then, and simply have the players explore the ship while it is in warp. It could help sell the feeling of vast size and age if it's compounded with cosmic horror, anyways.

I mean, a warzone might be good, but if I'm introducing them to Dark Heresy and not the tabletop, I don't think aliens are all that crucial.

Well, you should probably show the that xenos exist at some point, even if only by meeting an inquisitor from the Ordo Xenos. The players don't necessarily have to fight them, even if everyone else on the planet is... Also, there are many terrifying xeno species in the 40k universe that don't have models. Hrud, for example.

In any case, the main reason to visit a warzone was to provide a glimpse into the life of Guardsmen. Imagine a scene where the players see a flogging for some moderate crime, then are told that was the Commissar being merciful.

Maybe have a rebellious planet under occupation, then? The inquisitor could then tell the party what signs to watch for to determine if there's a genestealer cult vs. chaos-worshippers vs. xeno-backed sedition vs. ordinary human greed. (For bonus points, have it turn out to legitimately be a case where emperor-loving citizens were fed up with a corrupt planetary government.)

Trask
2021-05-27, 05:16 PM
Not 40k specific, but fantasy has a pretty rich tradition of having been built on science fiction bones, or even being secretly sci-fi the whole time. To get some idea of what a world like that might look apart from 40k, if that interests you, you might check out books like Vance's "The Dying Earth" and cartoons like "Thundarr the Barbarian" and stuff like that.

noob
2021-05-28, 01:25 AM
Not 40k specific, but fantasy has a pretty rich tradition of having been built on science fiction bones, or even being secretly sci-fi the whole time. To get some idea of what a world like that might look apart from 40k, if that interests you, you might check out books like Vance's "The Dying Earth" and cartoons like "Thundarr the Barbarian" and stuff like that.

Even the might and magic series is based on SF and dnd can get a lot of random SF elements whenever some aberrations comes in play (and without it is either time travel or a long lost crashed spaceship/jammer).

sktarq
2021-05-29, 03:58 PM
Well if starting in a "fantasy" that leads to a Warhammer 40K one of the things that jumps out is to push the parts that classic fantasy does overlap.

Firstly you may want to have "halflings" as your players know them. Or Ratlings (https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Ratling) as they are known in the WH40K system. These guys may even be playable as they are considered pretty acceptable to most of the empire. even joining the Guard in numbers as chefs, snipers, and the like.

You can also include things like Ogres (https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Ogryn), and Minotaurs (https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Beastmen), and Goatfolk (https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Gor). While officially human in some ways these guys are all very much on the edge of imperial law. So depending on how much the imperial system is dominant on the starting world these guys could fit in from everything from an underclass to semi exiled to having their own nations (if not under imperial aegis).

I'd recommend playing up the Elves = Fey type imagery. It gives a good reason to block elves as a player race and the Elder do have a lot of the fey appearance, they show and vanish unexpectedly (thanx webway), have lots of magic, and will kidnap people. And between the exocists being your "wild/wood elves", the dark eldar being your "dark elf/unseelie" trope, and the others forming your "high elf" trope you can make players see a fantasy world pretty easily.

while I think being a lost world that the great crusade never reached and they get picked up by a rogue trader is a very good into if they do have some contact with the Imperium having a sky-father god who uses some mix of lightning, skull, and/or eagle themes probably won't trigger most players but will obvious in retrospect.

also you have two sources of "magic items" to go digging around for. both the actually warp infused magic items but also the high tech remains from the age of technology...sure only the simplest stuff would be translatable but super materials, AI's, and "spell effects" would all be quite possible. The players only find out it is tech when they leave the world...as they don't know different. Also them snooping around in places where such things could be found would be good reason for becons or whatever to be set off that would attract otherworldly attention.

And play it just as magic is dangerous and don't mention the warp as anything other than the spirit world ...

also I'd say if you focus on just one or two of the Chaos gods (and give them local names) people will be slower to twig but will accept it when the reveal happens. Lots of people think about them as a quartet and presented away from them people may be more apt to see "generic war god" or "generic death god" "or "adversary determined to unmake the skyfather's work" type things.

yeah you could sell such a world as a pretty classic fantasy world until they get lifted.
but keep it pretty grim I'd think so it doesn't clash too much with the grimdark nature of the wider warhammer40K playstyle.