PDA

View Full Version : What is the CR of this BBEG

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-12, 02:28 AM
This is the final form of one of 4 BBEGs in my campaign, and I'd like some help figuring his CR. He is a level 14 gestalt Barb/Sorc with 1 ranger level.

Demon Zero Final Encounter Version
Size/Type: Huge Construct
Hit Dice 14d12 (194hp)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 120, Fly 70
Armor Class: 31 (-3 size, -1 Dex, -2 Rage, +18 Natural, +4 Shield, +4 Armor +1 Dodge) (touch, don't botch, flat footed, 30)
Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+32
Attack: Greatsword +30 (2d8+21) (Optional Power Attack)
Full Attack: Greatsword +30/+30/+25/+20 (2d8+21) (Optional power attack)
Space/Reach: 15'
Special Attacks: Disintegrate 28d6 (Save DC 19), Trample (1d8+12)
Special Qualities: Construct traits, Dark vision 60, Low-light vision, improved uncanny dodge, DR 10/Adamantine
+120 Fire Immunity + 120 Cold immunity (from two energy immunity spells), Globe of Invulnerability, favored enemy: human
Abilities: STR 32 DEX 8 CON - INT 10 WIS 12 CHA 16
Saves: Fort - Ref +4 Will +16
Skills: Listen +10 Spot +10 Survival +20
Feats: Power Attack, Track, Extend Spell, Cleave, Great Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper
CR: ?

The stats are for buffed and raging. As you can see, he will have a number of spells active on him including Body of War, extended overland flight, extended haste, extended globe of invulnerability, two separate energy immunities, extended Expeditious Retreat, greater magic weapon. Greater invisibility would obviously make him even more bad ass, but I want the PCs to look upon him and tremble. It's a level 10 gestalt party, FYI.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-12, 02:30 AM
Looks about CR 17 to me.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-11-12, 03:04 AM
Armor Class: 31 (-3 size, -1 Dex, -2 Rage, +18 Natural, +4 Shield, +4 Armor +1 Dodge) (touch, don't botch, flat footed, 32)

I don't think it's possible to have a higher flat footed AC than normal AC, negative DEX modifiers always count.

Kizara
2007-11-12, 03:08 AM
I don't think it's possible to have a higher flat footed AC than normal AC, negative DEX modifiers always count.

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't get dodge bonuses while flat-footed.

So I think his flat-footed AC is 30.

AslanCross
2007-11-12, 05:43 AM
I'd say 17 to 18.

CthulhuM
2007-11-12, 05:58 AM
I dunno - he can't cast spells while raging, so once combat starts he's basically just a big dumb melee monster, and he doesn't even have any nasty supplementary SLAs like most melee monsters at that level do. Basically, he hits really hard and is himself moderately difficult to hit. I'd say CR 14 or so.

Oh, and god help you if one of the PCs decides to polymorph into a rust monster.

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 06:03 AM
I dunno - he can't cast spells while raging, so once combat starts he's basically just a big dumb melee monster, and he doesn't even have any nasty supplementary SLAs like most melee monsters at that level do. Basically, he hits really hard and is himself moderately difficult to hit. I'd say CR 14 or so.

Oh, and god help you if one of the PCs decides to polymorph into a rust monster.

Actually, he'll rage for a bit like a big dumb monster, it'll wear off, and he'll open up with a surprising disintegrate.

deadseashoals
2007-11-12, 06:06 AM

It's considerably stronger than other CR 14 creatures in melee. I'd say 16 or 17, compare to a Horned Devil, they're reasonably similar.

KIDS
2007-11-12, 06:48 AM
Stronger than a CR 14 I'd say, but not nearly 17. I think that creatures shouldn't have more CR than hit dice, since it exposes them to deadly instakill/disable effects like Power Words, Holy Word, Blasphemy etc.

Lochar
2007-11-12, 10:11 AM
Actually, he'll rage for a bit like a big dumb monster, it'll wear off, and he'll open up with a surprising disintegrate.

Actually, with Body of War on, you can't cast spells or use any magic items. I would include SLAs in that definition. Technically, you couldn't even dismiss the spell, since you can't use magic, you shouldn't be able to dismiss them either.

Move earth or something to create a hole big enough, and then bury you while you rage. :P

Human Paragon 3
2007-11-12, 10:45 AM
Thanks for your help. The 32 was meant to be a 30, it was leftover from before I factored in the -2 for rage.

Chronos
2007-11-12, 02:20 PM
Not that it makes much difference, but I think that the AC penalty for Huge is only -2, not -3.

kme
2007-11-12, 02:42 PM
Another thing that may not be important. Globe of invulnerability is a static spell that you cast on area, it does not move with caster.