PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - How Godly Are PF Gods When In Our World?

unseenmage
2021-05-16, 10:12 PM
What could a PF deity manifested into our, the "real" world do?

For 3.x deities they have stats and superpowers to extrapolate their abilities from.

Less so for PF deities. I am unfamiliar with any deus ex machina that may be present in PF canon, adventures, or fiction.

Is a fair degree omnipotence, or at least the equivalent of an Alter Reality superpower to be assumed?

Is it the same for a deity created artificially, as through the process detailed at the end of the Iron Gods adventure path?

Kaouse
2021-05-17, 07:46 AM
{scrubbed} Full spellcasting + Mythic Rank 10 gets you some pretty crazy reality warping power.

FrogInATopHat
2021-05-19, 05:20 AM
What could a PF deity manifested into our, the "real" world do?

For 3.x deities they have stats and superpowers to extrapolate their abilities from.

Less so for PF deities. I am unfamiliar with any deus ex machina that may be present in PF canon, adventures, or fiction.

Is a fair degree omnipotence, or at least the equivalent of an Alter Reality superpower to be assumed?

Is it the same for a deity created artificially, as through the process detailed at the end of the Iron Gods adventure path?

PF deities explicitly don't have stats because they are powered by narrative intent and can do anything you need them to do. They function entirely by deus ex machina, or possibly deus ex dee-emmicha.

So the answer to your question is "at least as powerful as you want that deity to be, if you are the DM".

They also don't rank their deities so they same principles apply just as well to Cassandalee in Iron Gods. Her write-up in the PF2 deities book does not make her distinct from any other deity from a power perspective.

unseenmage
2021-05-19, 06:59 AM
... Cassandalee in Iron Gods. Her write-up in the PF2 deities book does not make her distinct from any other deity from a power perspective.
Which is horrifying for something player created. The power to make a fiat monster is just mind numbing.

Like, what do I even do with that. Not the GM, but not NOT the GM either. Am working on a pet thought experiment of what if 3.P material in the hands of a real world er.
I know it's dumb already with all the statted magic etc but the potential here is a bit much.

Hmm. Changes some of the narrative a bit to be sure.

FrogInATopHat
2021-05-19, 08:41 AM
Which is horrifying for something player created. The power to make a fiat monster is just mind numbing.

Player created is not player controlled.

unseenmage
2021-05-19, 01:49 PM
Player created is not player controlled.

True.

But then, I have been known to spam uncontrolled creatures into enemy territory and let them sort themselves out before swooping in to conquer or eliminate both.

Rynjin
2021-05-19, 06:16 PM
{scrubbed} Full spellcasting + Mythic Rank 10 gets you some pretty crazy reality warping power.

And true deities are infinitely far beyond that level. Level 20/Mythic 10 is the domain of a few notable demigods and godly HERALDS (like Arazni, post-Lichification).

Eldonauran
2021-05-19, 06:22 PM
And true deities are infinitely far beyond that level. Level 20/Mythic 10 is the domain of a few notable demigods and godly HERALDS (like Arazni, post-Lichification).
You’re not quite godly enough. You’re semi-godly. You’re quasi-godly. You’re the margarine of godly. You’re the Diet Coke of godly, just one calorie, not godly enough.

Particle_Man
2021-05-19, 07:09 PM
I guess it depends if you see the Gods themselves coming to Our World in all of their divine power and glory, or whether that would break some sort of compact or deal the gods have not to bring their divine selfs (in all their power) and wars to the world, because it is too fragile and would break too easily (thus ending a lovely revenue stream of souls that all gods benefit from).

If the latter, one might be able to stat up some "scaled down" version that are incarnations of the gods that the compact allows to wander the material plane, for specific purposes agreed to in that compact. Is that what avatars are in 3.5?

unseenmage
2021-05-19, 07:19 PM
I guess it depends if you see the Gods themselves coming to Our World in all of their divine power and glory, or whether that would break some sort of compact or deal the gods have not to bring their divine selfs (in all their power) and wars to the world, because it is too fragile and would break too easily (thus ending a lovely revenue stream of souls that all gods benefit from).

If the latter, one might be able to stat up some "scaled down" version that are incarnations of the gods that the compact allows to wander the material plane, for specific purposes agreed to in that compact. Is that what avatars are in 3.5?
Am agreeing with this some too.

I'm trying to picture the moment when a real world boy and his magic robot friend Complete their 'can we make a god' project and it comes to full fruition. In that moment what do they see, hear, etc?

Having them fried to a crisp bathed in the light of raw divinity isn't very narratively satisfying so, while more realistic, we'll bench that idea for now.

Having them briefly blinded by a flash of incomprehensible sensation then confronted with a divine avatar? Seems like a narrative could emerge here, so that's what I'm leaning towards.

Next big Q is, what sort of deity do they come up with?
Does the servile machine craft their master a divine version of himself, thereby dooming everyone everywhere because he's just not a very nice guy as a god?

Do they collaborate well and make a deity that is at the very least disinterested in ruling this reality while being amenable to granting the occasional wish?

Does the process "fail", to be repeated several times, and later revealed to've worked every time but with the results on delay?

I dunno yet.
Am still not sure why they'd even make a god except out of curiosity at this juncture. Their story isn't complete enough that I have a 'we need a deity asap!' situation laid out for them.

Hmm. But the ideas are percolating. Thanks everyone for the responses so far. Genuinely useful getting the ol creative brain goo going.

Particle_Man
2021-05-19, 09:36 PM
People often think they are morally better than they are, so a god created the matches a creator’s self-image might be more benevolent than the creator.

Psyren
2021-05-21, 08:19 AM
People often think they are morally better than they are, so a god created the matches a creator’s self-image might be more benevolent than the creator.

Interesting you mention this - we may have a canon example when you consider that Aroden inadvertently created an evil deity (Norgorber) and his inheritor, Iomedae, did not :smalltongue: