PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Need help with cheeses (yes IG cheeses)

nickl_2000
2021-05-17, 07:35 AM
Started playing my Eberron ratlike shifter who loves cheese and I've enjoyed it using real work cheese so far, but now I need more ideas for in game cheeses that are fitting to the Eberron world or D&D in general.

Some I've thought of:
Red Dragon's Breath Cheese
This is deep yellow cheese with red flecks throughout it. The maker introduced red dragon peppers into the cheese before moulding it. Eating this cheese sets your mouth on fire, and feels like a dragon's mouth must feel as it exhales it's fire breath weapons.

Basilisk Milk Stone Cheese
Those that enjoy this cheese often wonder how a basilisk can be milked, but the only answer they are ever given is "very carefully." This is a strong cheese with a hard outer shell. As it sets the outer shell hardens to the consistency of a stone. Eating this cheese requires that the eater break open the stone to enjoy the soft inner core.

Karrnath Crypt Cheese
This stinky cheese was created after a military captain accidently left their lunch down in the undead storage crypt. It sat aging amongst the zombie for months before being found and brought out. This stinky runny cheese is considered a delicacy amongst a select few, while other find the stench to overwhelming to even try the taste.

Other thoughts? I would love anything anyone can think of, these are mundane items so nothing magical please.

Warder
2021-05-17, 07:44 AM
In the Forgotten Realms there's a cheese called "cheeeese" (yes, really) that's highly addictive and psychoactive, but only to halflings. I think it was created to be pretty silly, but I actually really like the idea. Halflings are usually such a happy, carefree people, and something like this that can get under their skin and show another, more tragic side to them is pretty interesting. You can read more about it here:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Luiren_spring_cheese

XmonkTad
2021-05-17, 10:17 AM
Brown Mold Roquefort Cheese
- Basically a "blue" cheese using brown mold. Extremely hazardous, and requires (magical?) refrigeration. Strong flavor is preferred by many monstrous humanoids.

Kwinza
2021-05-17, 10:20 AM
No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses.

nickl_2000
2021-05-17, 11:45 AM
No one has as many friends as the man with many cheeses.

I talked to the DM, and for the sake of this character he effectively has an infinitely large bag of holding for different kind of cheeses. With the agreement that the cheeses not act as rations, nor have it have an effect on the game other than being able to offer different types of cheese.

Personality Traits
I have a weakness for rare and unique cheeses, seeking them out and wanting to try as many different types as possible.

I think that everyone should experience the wonder that is cheese and am determined to find the perfect cheese for everyone I meet.

One of his Flaws
I will go out of my way and through dangers to find new ingredients to make my cheeses.

He is going into the Mournlands to look for unique herbs and spices and milks to make new cheeses, and he believes that everyone should have a chance to sample different cheeses to figure out the best ones :)

Unoriginal
2021-05-17, 12:35 PM
A Chimera is part goat, one could produce enough milk to make cheese.

Kol Korran
2021-05-17, 01:59 PM
Hmmmm.... Some ideas:
# King Nymm's crown:
A special delight, with the secrets to it's making keot secret by House Ghallanda, this cheese requires not only special ingredients, but also the magical talents of a marked house member, and a ritual made on a night when the moon Nymm (The moon linked to the house) and at least 6 other moons are full. The requirements are harsh, but the resulting cheese is exquisite, with an imprssive golden like hue, similar to a golden crown, and an exquisite taste. The cheese' price is quite high, and it is usually kept for special official occasions of high society. It is said that even presenting the cheese at a meeting, blesses it with Nymm's good blessing.

# Breland'a Blue:
A cheese with an old history, harkening to thebolden days of Breland, even before the naking of Galifar. The cheese is very common in Breland's festivities (usually national holidays, or holdays for the Sovereign Host). The cheese is wholesome, with bluish veins (originally from the King's Forest the legend say, but since then wide spread). It is simple, it is tastyx it is filling. "Can't go wrong with a Breland's Blue", is a common saying.

Note: The cheese since has many variants, with each small community and village in Breland giving it their own little twists. Some Last War stories tell of how spies were found out when they displayed a lack of knowledge of such cheeses, which is what "every Brelander should know" In the Last War, most other nations ceased getting cheese from Breland, and the cheese in now gaining new popularity, especially in Aundair.

# Edulian rose mage white:
Before the rebellion of the Eldeen Reaches, House Vadallis perfected the breeding of special magebred cows, which upon feeding on the Edulain rose flowers (Who unfortunatly grew only on the Eldeen), produced a nearly sublime cheese, with a pink- purplish hew, a scent reminding of summer breeze, and a taste which is hard to describe but which a famous Aundariam cheese coneseiur once described as "This is what magic tastes like!".

Unfortunatley, very few such cheeses were made before the Eldeen rebellion. Most such cows were either "liberated" by the druids, or killed in the mayham, and the fee remaining in House Vadalis keeping, cannot make the cheese without access to the Edulian Roses (which the druids won't allow). The cheeses are no longer manufactured, and those remaining are kept safely, and most times- secretly... For it is rumored that the cheeses do not just taste like magic, but that they can affect/ inspire magic... Who knows?

# Fastieth' long bond (Or "Second Mother's gift" by Talents halfling):
Who knew Dinoasurs could produce milk? Well, if anyone would, it would be the Talentari. Fastieth dinosaurs, most of the Talenta tribes riding dinosaurs, can produce milk, from which a special cheese can be made. The Talentari custom enables only the one bonded with the fastieth female, to take some of her milk when she have hatclings, and the tribes shaman can curdle it to make a very hard, sour tasting, strong cheese. To most it feels too sour, yet the Talentari claim that for the bonded halfling it feels like a mother's milk. Regardless of the taste, eating the cheese can sustain one for two days, and gives a surge of energy and vigor, which the academics speculize is the Fastieth' way of giving their young an edge on survival in the dinosaur plains.

Needless to say, the Talentari consider the cheese sacred, and only for bonded halflings (and even then just the cheese from their mounts!). In the Last War, some pieces of such cheese were captured upon killing talenta warbanda and merceneries... It took quite some time for people to understand why they were later pursued by highly persistentz harrying and deadly talenta hunters, seeking their "Second mother's gift"... much blood was spilled getting some of that cheese back, and some soldiers of the last war quickly back off quickly from any similar looking cheese, with a pale face...

On very, very, very rare occasions, it is rumored that an outsider to the tribe, that gains significant respect and honor, to be considered a true member of the tribex may be given 1 chunk of such cheese, made from the milk of the chief's or shaman's fastieth, as a new bonded member to the tribe.

# Black Sin:
A fairly new oddity, this deep purple- brown, almost black cheese, comes from... Drooam, city of Greywall. Upon the 3 sisters rise, and their acceptance (Well, sort of) in Khorvaire, some enterprizing members of the monstrous races, surpsrised by the desire of the people of Breland for cheese, decided to try and manufacture some, and this one met with great success!
Little is known of it's origin, except that it's makers are an enteprising gnoll trio in Greywall, who uses shriker mushroom growing in an underground cavern on Khyber... the shrikers apparently absorbed some of the energies in the cavern, which lend the dark cheese an exuisite, almost alienz intoxicating taste... some say addictive... The cheeses started appearing in Sharn (Of course!), and are quite expensive! Some who sought to gain the recipe (and secrets to access the khyberian cave), found that the gnoll trio managed to get some tight security, including a medusae, minotaur champion, and even a sorcerous gargoyle...

---------------------
This is fun! And got my creative juices going! I have.to go to bed, but may continue in the nexy few days.
:)

nickl_2000
2021-05-17, 02:06 PM
A Chimera is part goat, one could produce enough milk to make cheese.

That is very true, I will come up with something based on that.

Hmmmm.... Some ideas:

# King Nymm's crown:
A special delight, with the secrets to it's making keot secret by House Ghallanda, this cheese requires not only special ingredients, but also the magical talents of a marked house member, and a ritual made on a night when the moon Nymm (The moon linked to the house) and at least 6 other moons are full. The requirements are harsh, but the resulting cheese is exquisite, with an imprssive golden like hue, similar to a golden crown, and an exquisite taste. The cheese' price is quite high, and it is usually kept for special official occasions of high society. It is said that even presenting the cheese at a meeting, blesses it with Nymm's good blessing.

# Breland'a Blue:
A cheese with an old history, harkening to thebolden days of Breland, even before the naking of Galifar. The cheese is very common in Breland's festivities (usually national holidays, or holdays for the Sovereign Host). The cheese is wholesome, with bluish veins (originally from the King's Forest the legend say, but since then wide spread). It is simple, it is tastyx it is filling. "Can't go wrong with a Breland's Blue", is a common saying.

Note: The cheese since has many variants, with each small community and village in Breland giving it their own little twists. Some Last War stories tell of how spies were found out when they displayed a lack of knowledge of such cheeses, which is what "every Brelander should know" In the Last War, most other nations ceased getting cheese from Breland, and the cheese in now gaining new popularity, especially in Aundair.

# Edulian rose mage white:
Before the rebellion of the Eldeen Reaches, House Vadallis perfected the breeding of special magebred cows, which upon feeding on the Edulain rose flowers (Who unfortunatly grew only on the Eldeen), produced a nearly sublime cheese, with a pink- purplish hew, a scent reminding of summer breeze, and a taste which is hard to describe but which a famous Aundariam cheese coneseiur once described as "This is what magic tastes like!".

Unfortunatley, very few such cheeses were made before the Eldeen rebellion. Most such cows were either "liberated" by the druids, or killed in the mayham, and the fee remaining in House Vadalis keeping, cannot make the cheese without access to the Edulian Roses (which the druids won't allow). The cheeses are no longer manufactured, and those remaining are kept safely, and most times- secretly... For it is rumored that the cheeses do not just taste like magic, but that they can affect/ inspire magic... Who knows?

# Fastieth' long bond (Or "Second Mother's gift" by Talents halfling):
Who knew Dinoasurs could produce milk? Well, if anyone would, it would be the Talentari. Fastieth dinosaurs, most of the Talenta tribes riding dinosaurs, can produce milk, from which a special cheese can be made. The Talentari custom enables only the one bonded with the fastieth female, to take some of her milk when she have hatclings, and the tribes shaman can curdle it to make a very hard, sour tasting, strong cheese. To most it feels too sour, yet the Talentari claim that for the bonded halfling it feels like a mother's milk. Regardless of the taste, eating the cheese can sustain one for two days, and gives a surge of energy and vigor, which the academics speculize is the Fastieth' way of giving their young an edge on survival in the dinosaur plains.

Needless to say, the Talentari consider the cheese sacred, and only for bonded halflings (and even then just the cheese from their mounts!). In the Last War, some pieces of such cheese were captured upon killing talenta warbanda and merceneries... It took quite some time for people to understand why they were later pursued by highly persistentz harrying and deadly talenta hunters, seeking their "Second mother's gift"... much blood was spilled getting some of that cheese back, and some soldiers of the last war quickly back off quickly from any similar looking cheese, with a pale face...

On very, very, very rare occasions, it is rumored that an outsider to the tribe, that gains significant respect and honor, to be considered a true member of the tribex may be given 1 chunk of such cheese, made from the milk of the chief's or shaman's fastieth, as a new bonded member to the tribe.

# Black Sin:
A fairly new oddity, this deep purple- brown, almost black cheese, comes from... Drooam, city of Greywall. Upon the 3 sisters rise, and their acceptance (Well, sort of) in Khorvaire, some enterprizing members of the monstrous races, surpsrised by the desire of the people of Breland for cheese, decided to try and manufacture some, and this one met with great success!
Little is known of it's origin, except that it's makers are an enteprising gnoll trio in Greywall, who uses shriker mushroom growing in an underground cavern on Khyber... the shrikers apparently absorbed some of the energies in the cavern, which lend the dark cheese an exuisite, almost alienz intoxicating taste... some say addictive... The cheeses started appearing in Sharn (Of course!), and are quite expensive! Some who sought to gain the recipe (and secrets to access the khyberian cave), found that the gnoll trio managed to get some tight security, including a medusae, minotaur champion, and even a sorcerous gargoyle...

---------------------
This is fun! And got my creative juices going! I have.to go to bed, but may continue in the nexy few days.
:)

These are amazing and have great flavor to them! I welcome anymore that you can think it.

Kane0
2021-05-17, 06:42 PM
This thread interests and horrifies me in equal measure.

Kol Korran
2021-05-22, 03:35 PM
This thread interests and horrifies me in equal measure.

Then let the (interesting) horrifying thread continue!

It's time... for more... cheese!

# Aundarian wine- cheeses:
----------------------------------------------
The Aundarians have a saying: "I may grow old and cranky, but as long as I have my cheese and wine- two out of three ain't half bad!". Cheese ages well as does wine. And the Aundarians take great pride in both, with various homesteads, small baronies and chefs producing intrigiuing variations all over the country. At the height of Galifar, Aundair was a well known resort for the wealthy, for a grand tour of wine and cheese tasting.

Yet the Last war changed that. Aundarian soldiers tried bringing a taste from home to lift their spirit on the battle fronts, and though cheese managed to withstand the hardships of war, wine often did not. Alas, too long had the Aundarian troops knew the taste of goos wine only away from direct conflict, or on the brief recesses.

At the second half of the 100 years war, a small group of Aundarian patriots, who sought to invigor the troops, collaborated their culinary and wine making skills and effort, to create an ingenious process, which mananaged to combine wine into secrete veins of cheeses, enabling the wine to endure the harships of war within hardened cheese! Some equote the Aundarian rising moral in the last few decades to this marvelous invention, and though this claim is exaggerated, the veterans do fondly remember the wine cheeses, as one of the rare few comforts of war.

The wine cheeses are hard to produce, and require fine craftsmen, of both professions, to create a stable cheese. Otherwise the result is often a great cheese, yet with a bad taste of rotten or spoiled wine. Yet if done correctly, the result is an intirguing morsel, which mashes and intensifies both tastes in the same bite. Indeed, a delicacy and a pleasant surprise to those who haven't tried it yet.

Most Aundarians still prefer the more traditional seperation of the two, yet a small enterpeneuring group continues to try and improve the process, as well as join new types of cheeses and wine.

# Brooma Kruut's Omox slabs:
------------------------------------------
The rise of Darguun may have given rise to the questionable and potentially dangerous goblinoid nation, but an interesting side effect and potential comfort, is the emergence of the Omox slabs.

Brooma Kruut was a bugbear mercenary. Originally from a fairly backward marauding tribe, she joined with her tribe to fight as mercenaries in the last war, with her as their tribe's cook. And war (especially as a Deneith mercenary) takes you many places, and you get exposed to many new ideas, and cuisines...
Brooma became intrigued by various exposures, and once the Thronehold Treaty declared Darguun as a free nationz and Rhuukan Draal acknowledged, she bought some grounds for her omox beasts outside of the cityz set a stall in the Red Market, and started selling her new brand of cheese.

Now, Brooma's cheese isn't exactly what you'd call delicate or sophisticated, but... it IS damn good! The omox produces a very thick, heavy, fat type of milk, and her processes places thick slabs of pressured and congealed milk, in a set of ovens with nets betwen them, to allow oozing and joining. The result is a very condense, hard cheese, with crispy chunky wavy layers within, of consentrated milky fat.

It is recommended you fast for 3 days or more before trying it, and even then in moderation, less your arteries clog within a manner of a few hours. But heck, if you die- at least you'll die full and happy!

# Light Night:
-------------------------------
And on the other side of the spectrum... In Sharn and a few other locals around Khorvaire, live the mysterious Kalashtar. You don't often see them, most of them stay with their own kind, and they look nearly identical to humans only... well... something about their eyes, their gaze, the way they move and talk... like there is something... extra to them?

Anyway, don't let simple prejudice stop you from experiencing new sensations! These folks are spiritual enough, talking about dreams, spirits and other strange stuff (Really, would it kill them to go to a Sovereign Home and get some honest religion?) But on certain nights every year, they welcome people to debates, lectures, and also offer their special brand of cheese.

This cheese is fairly bland and white looking, and seeming frail at that. Almost like a white cloud ready to disperse. And it is indeed fragile! Apparently their monks prepare it on special occasions, before "troublesome nights" (Or whatever that means), and the cheese would last only until morning!

It has an... odd effect. The first bite feels nothing special- a decent, very light, almsot fluffy cheese, but with added bites there is a strange spreading of sensation to your senses... Yes, I know it sound a bit weird, but it sort of focuses and calm your sight, hearing, taste and smell at the same time? (It's hard to explain, you need to try it) And then discreete influences in the cheese can fill your sensory centers with a delicate yet strong sense of soothing, relaxing, enjoyable and refine calm... And let me tell you! You'll never sleep as good as you do after tasting a Light Night!

Still, so much effort into a cheese that would dissolve by morning? Strange folks those Kalashtsr. Monks. Go figure...

----------------
I hope you enjoyed! I am.oddly thrilled by this creative expereince! I have to go to sleep, but got more ideas for later on. :)

JackPhoenix
2021-05-22, 10:44 PM
Karrnath is especially known for its cheeses.

Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 176
"Dairy farms throughout the nation provide milk, butter, and cheese to the markets in Korth and Atur, and some of the more exotic cheeses sell for more than their weight in silver in distant cities and towns."
"Barrels of Nightwood ale and wheels of Karrn bitter cheese command such a high price in foreign markets that an honor guard of Deneith sentinels usually accompanies and protects these shipments."
One of the quest hooks for Karrnath is being hired to guard a shipment of the cheese (and the ale) for Breland's king.

Five Nations, p. 101
"Karrns consider sausage- and cheesemaking to be art forms, and all kinds and varieties of these foods can be found throughout the land."
"One particularly popular loaf, called vedbread, combines crusty bread with the flavorfully sharp red cheese. This is enjoyed warm as it emerges from the oven, or slathered with onion butter."

I know I've seen cheese references in other book(s), but it's been years since I've read it, and I'm not going to go through my whole collection. But those are the canon examples from 3.5. I don't know enough about chesse to add my own examples.

nickl_2000
2021-05-23, 11:48 AM
Then let the (interesting) horrifying thread continue!

It's time... for more... cheese!

*SNIP*
I hope you enjoyed! I am.oddly thrilled by this creative expereince! I have to go to sleep, but got more ideas for later on. :)

I am impressed and amazed at the amount of lore you are packing into the creation of these cheeses. I will absolutely be using these and others in the game!

Karrnath is especially known for its cheeses.

Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 176
"Dairy farms throughout the nation provide milk, butter, and cheese to the markets in Korth and Atur, and some of the more exotic cheeses sell for more than their weight in silver in distant cities and towns."
"Barrels of Nightwood ale and wheels of Karrn bitter cheese command such a high price in foreign markets that an honor guard of Deneith sentinels usually accompanies and protects these shipments."
One of the quest hooks for Karrnath is being hired to guard a shipment of the cheese (and the ale) for Breland's king.

Five Nations, p. 101
"Karrns consider sausage- and cheesemaking to be art forms, and all kinds and varieties of these foods can be found throughout the land."
"One particularly popular loaf, called vedbread, combines crusty bread with the flavorfully sharp red cheese. This is enjoyed warm as it emerges from the oven, or slathered with onion butter."

I know I've seen cheese references in other book(s), but it's been years since I've read it, and I'm not going to go through my whole collection. But those are the canon examples from 3.5. I don't know enough about chesse to add my own examples.

Thanks, I absolutely don't expect that anyone would delve that deep to read all their books. However, what you have here gives me some wonderful information that I can tied into the word. Also, since this character is a chef and cooks for meals when on the road, there is no question that he will be making vedbread during some short rest!

nickl_2000
2021-05-26, 01:10 PM
Casu martzu grey
This cheese was originally made from a cheese with a broken rind being left out overnight in the Mournland. A strange fly found it and laid eggs inside the cheese. As the eggs hatched, the maggots started eating the cheese and leaving behind a soft delicate cheese remaining. This cheese is unique to the world and cannot be found elsewhere.

My last one for now and the reason this character is going to be a swarmkeeper. What better swarm than on of mutated flies form the Mournland.

chiefwaha
2021-05-26, 02:31 PM
Get Aurora's Whole Realm Catalogue, from way back when, they have a whole section on cheeses(weirdly enough a cheese roleplay event happened in our game recently)

My favorite is Death Cheese...
Cheese made from Catoblepas milk gathered by blind monks.

JackPhoenix
2021-05-26, 05:50 PM
Thanks, I absolutely don't expect that anyone would delve that deep to read all their books. However, what you have here gives me some wonderful information that I can tied into the word. Also, since this character is a chef and cooks for meals when on the road, there is no question that he will be making vedbread during some short rest!

On that note, Five Nations has a paragraph or two about cuisine in all four kingdoms. Keith mentioned some stuff on his blog, but good luck using the search function to get specific posts.