PDA

View Full Version : Order cleric Voice of Authority and spells which do not end immideately after casting

Harachteh
2021-05-17, 10:27 AM
Since the was closed (sorry, I can't link yet as I have < 10 posts) I'm asking in a new one.

Voice of Authority reads "You can invoke the power of law to embolden an ally to attack. If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, that ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see."

Does that mean after the spell ended? For example after 10 minutes for Shield of Faith. Does that mean I can "prepare" attacks since you can end concentration at any time (no action required)?

Or does it mean after casting the spell? If that's the case can I hit my allies with spiritual weapon to grant them the bonus attack?

Amnestic
2021-05-17, 10:39 AM
Does that mean after the spell ended? For example after 10 minutes for Shield of Faith. Does that mean I can "prepare" attacks since you can end concentration at any time (no action required)?

Or does it mean after casting the spell?

Immediately after the spell is cast.

You cast a spell, your allies get to make an attack.

If that's the case can I hit my allies with spiritual weapon to grant them the bonus attack?

Yes on the initial cast-attack of spiritual weapon, no on subsequent turns of spiritual weapon attacks.

Hytheter
2021-05-17, 09:53 PM
Yes on the initial cast-attack of spiritual weapon, no on subsequent turns of spiritual weapon attacks.

Personally, I would allow it on subsequent attacks on the condition your spiritual weapon is a whip. :P

LudicSavant
2021-05-17, 10:02 PM
Since the was closed (sorry, I can't link yet as I have < 10 posts) I'm asking in a new one.

Voice of Authority reads "You can invoke the power of law to embolden an ally to attack. If you cast a spell with a spell slot of 1st level or higher and target an ally with the spell, that ally can use their reaction immediately after the spell to make one weapon attack against a creature of your choice that you can see."

Or does it mean after casting the spell? If that's the case can I hit my allies with spiritual weapon to grant them the bonus attack?

I interpret it as taking effect immediately after the spell [is cast] as opposed to immediately after the spell [completes its duration].

quindraco
2021-05-18, 08:06 AM

I interpret it as immediately after the spell ends - I think the RAI is to limit the domain power by making it impossible to combine a buff with the produced attack (e.g. you can't bless someone and have them make a blessed attack). But "after the spell" is word salad, and "after the spell ends" is only my personal guess as to intent - "after casting the spell" is an equally possible intent, given that the mistake is clearly them dropping a word from the sentence.

Hytheter
2021-05-18, 08:37 AM
I think the RAI is to limit the domain power by making it impossible to combine a buff with the produced attack (e.g. you can't bless someone and have them make a blessed attack).

To me that seems exactly like what the feature is supposed to be used for. What else is there, otherwise? Healing spells and that's it?

UnintensifiedFa
2021-05-18, 08:40 AM
I interpret it as immediately after the spell ends - I think the RAI is to limit the domain power by making it impossible to combine a buff with the produced attack (e.g. you can't bless someone and have them make a blessed attack). But "after the spell" is word salad, and "after the spell ends" is only my personal guess as to intent - "after casting the spell" is an equally possible intent, given that the mistake is clearly them dropping a word from the sentence.

I think that "after the spell" is "after casting the spell" because in the 1st paragraph they directly state "When you cast a spell of 1st level or higher". Plus not all spells "end" instantaneous spells don't "end" as much as they have a duration.

Plus the name is "Voice of Authority" seems to me like that voice comes from "casting a spell" and the energy and impetus behind it. Ending a spell doesn't seem like it might hold the same weight.