PDA

View Full Version : Optimization What are the best spells to get in wands?

Melcar
2021-05-17, 12:08 PM
So, I want to have some utility with my character, by getting some wands, but what are some of the best spells to get? When I say best, I mean the ones that apply in mosst situation, or which solve a problem that would either 1) come up often, 2) be something that its unlikely other spellcaster have prepared spells for.

Now I know this will vary greatly across tables and campaigns, so I'm looking for any great suggestions. My goal with this is not to find spells that does the most damage in combat, but spells that solve a problem that specifically cannot be solved by hitting it harder with a sharp stick!

This is also not meant for any specific character or campaing, but is merely a way of getting valuable insights and inspiration for future situations, both as a player and as a DM!

Thanks!

Venger
2021-05-17, 01:46 PM
For a spell to be desirable in a wand, it should not depend on CL, depend on a save, and ideally shouldn't allow sr. While things that fulfill all of these are rare, the more the better. Generally, wands are best for bfc/utility versus combat anyway as you've noted:

acid splash (and the variants, sonic snap, etc) (for precision damage users)
corpse candle (valuable utility, situational)
crumble (good environmental spell)
dark way (environment, puzzle, bfc)
death knell
faerie fire
feather fall
fog cloud
gaseous form
glitterdust
glibness
hail of stone
haste
phantom steed
ray of dizziness
ray of enfeeblement
wall of smoke
web

Lapak
2021-05-17, 01:58 PM
For a spell to be desirable in a wand, it should not depend on CL, depend on a save, and ideally shouldn't allow sr. While things that fulfill all of these are rare, the more the better. Generally, wands are best for bfc/utility versus combat anyway as you've noted:
*edit - trimming the list for space*
This is a solid list; I'm going to add that a wand of Spider Climb can be fantastically useful at low levels to allow the whole party to overcome a variety of terrain obstacles. One wand fully charged is fairly likely to carry the average party through to when you no longer need it.

Feldar
2021-05-17, 02:04 PM

acid splash (and the variants, sonic snap, etc) (for precision damage users)
corpse candle (valuable utility, situational)
crumble (good environmental spell)
dark way (environment, puzzle, bfc)
death knell
faerie fire
feather fall
fog cloud
gaseous form
glitterdust
glibness
hail of stone
haste
phantom steed
ray of dizziness
ray of enfeeblement
wall of smoke
web

To this I would add:

Entangle
Knock
Lesser Vigor
Obscuring Mist

I would remove feather fall -- there's a permanent and unslotted item for that!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-17, 02:08 PM
Command Undead, only use it on mindless undead (skeletons and zombies) as they don't get a saving throw. Don't bother using it on weak ones, but if there's one or more bigger ones in an encounter you can use those to fight the others.

Biggus
2021-05-17, 03:41 PM
I like Sign, +4 initiative if you roll in the next 10 minutes, stacks with everything, cheap too

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-17, 03:54 PM
Per the Rules Compendium, spell trigger and spell completion items (staffs, wands, scrolls) take the same action to activate as the casting time of the spell being used. So a wand of a swift-action or immediate-action spell is still that same type of action, as long as you're already holding it. Put it in a wand chamber of a weapon or shield you're using and it's always at the ready. With this in mind, other good wands include:

Wraithstrike
Rhino's Rush
Wings of Cover

NotInventedHere
2021-05-17, 04:01 PM
Using the Rules Compendium note that:

Activating a spell trigger item takes the same amount of time as the casting time of the spell that the item stores,
A rogue with enough UMD to reliably use wands would probably benefit from wands of golem strike and grave strike (both in the Spell Compendium). They're personal-only spells, so they're basically only useful either for arcane tricksters or for putting in wands. (If you have a bit more cash, wraithstrike is also a very tasty buff, turning all your melee attacks into touch attacks.)

Troacctid
2021-05-17, 04:02 PM
To this I would add:

Entangle
Knock
Lesser Vigor
Obscuring Mist

I would remove feather fall -- there's a permanent and unslotted item for that!
I prefer the rod of escape for knock since it's cheaper than an eternal wand while also having extra utility.

Thurbane
2021-05-17, 04:05 PM
Since no one has mentioned it yet, Resurgence (Cleric 1/Paladin 1, SC).

Such a great "second chance" spell against a huge array of ongoing effects.

2021-05-17, 04:18 PM
Generally speaking, utility spells (non-combat spells) tend to fall into one of three categories:

1) "I could see myself considering using this every day."

2) "This is kinda useful but not often enough to have ready every day."

3) "Get this weak garbage away from me before I catch its stupid."

Category 2 is where your wands are.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-17, 04:20 PM
Alter self. So useful, no matter what your creature type is. Great for Disguise checks, sure, but you also get tons of other very useful stuff, such as movement modes, skill bonuses, and bonus feats. And it lasts 10x as long as fly and is a level lower, while potentially granting similar benefits and having tons more utility.

Thurbane
2021-05-17, 04:56 PM
Also worth noting, spells that don't rely (heavily) on CL variables often work well in wands.

Benign Transposition (Sor/Wiz 1, SC) is another handy one. Even at Cl 1, two willing creatures within 110 ft. swap places.

Useful in case a weak character gets in a grapple - swap him out for the Barbarian.

No ranks in Climb? Have the Wizard's raven familiar fly to the top of that cliff, then swap him for a PC.

Troacctid
2021-05-17, 05:37 PM
As usual, my answer to the question is a whole spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MAZOcBtV3PJczKr-p8pZy55g3XMm2Q9zYox7EGJC-t0/edit#gid=0

Maat Mons
2021-05-17, 06:23 PM
A big question is, will your DM let you buy wands that were crafted by the people who can do it in the most optimal fashion (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12661.0)?

Melcar
2021-05-18, 08:36 AM
As usual, my answer to the question is a whole spreadsheet. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MAZOcBtV3PJczKr-p8pZy55g3XMm2Q9zYox7EGJC-t0/edit#gid=0

Wow... what a nice resource! Thanks!

A big question is, will your DM let you buy wands that were crafted by the people who can do it in the most optimal fashion (http://bg-archive.minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12661.0)?

Hmm... probably not! :smallfrown:

Zombimode
2021-05-18, 08:57 AM
May additions:

Bless
Divine Protection
Ressurgence (in a wand chamber)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-18, 08:58 AM
May additions:Do you have some for January through April? We're running a little behind on our quota for this trimester.

Telonius
2021-05-18, 10:13 AM
Grease and Lesser Vigor usually see a lot of use in my groups.

If you're using a spell (literally) once a day, every day, it's better to get it as an Eternal Wand. So something like Rope Trick (if you're using it as a safe place to sleep), get an Eternal Wand if those are available. If not, getting it in regular 50-charge Wand form is perfectly fine.

For scrolls, you're looking for things that you probably won't prepare on a regular basis, but will totally hose you if you need it but don't have it ready. Stone to Flesh is a good example.

Rebel7284
2021-05-18, 11:11 AM
Ray of Stupidity is really fun. Disable target Animal

Bayar
2021-05-18, 12:57 PM
Cure Light Wounds for when you need faster healing than Lesser Vigor.
Grease is also ok to have in a wand since it still makes things in it's AoE be flat-footed if they don't have 5 ranks in Balance.
Prestidigitation is always useful.
If you want combat spells, there's always the Orb spells. Expensive but can be worth it.

RexDart
2021-05-18, 03:47 PM
Grease is also one of those spells that can have oddball uses that nobody anticipates. You never know when making something slippery can come in handy.

My DM also interprets the grease created by the spell as flammable (but not outrageously so - like +1d6 damage if a fire spell goes off in the greased area.)

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-18, 05:08 PM
Grease is also one of those spells that can have oddball uses that nobody anticipates. You never know when making something slippery can come in handy.

My DM also interprets the grease created by the spell as flammable (but not outrageously so - like +1d6 damage if a fire spell goes off in the greased area.)Grease (and its psionic counterpart) is useful well into epic. See all those things that can't fly and don't have 5 ranks in Balance, like all those mindless epic golems and giant non-flying vermin? All of them are extremely vulnerable to getting greased.

Troacctid
2021-05-18, 06:06 PM
My DM also interprets the grease created by the spell as flammable (but not outrageously so - like +1d6 damage if a fire spell goes off in the greased area.)
There's actually a separate spell for flammable grease in this edition. It's in Complete Mage.

Personally I'm not a fan of grease wands due to the short duration.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-18, 06:17 PM
Personally I'm not a fan of grease wands due to the short duration.You'd want at least CL/ML 3 to make it worthwhile. A bit more expensive, obviously, but given how crazy-powerful grease is against non-flying opponents (since the vast majority of everything won't have ranks in Balance)...

Biggus
2021-05-18, 11:10 PM
If you're using a spell (literally) once a day, every day, it's better to get it as an Eternal Wand. So something like Rope Trick (if you're using it as a safe place to sleep), get an Eternal Wand if those are available. If not, getting it in regular 50-charge Wand form is perfectly fine.

Speaking of Eternal Wands, Primal Instinct is another good initiative booster: +5, lasts 24 hours. Eternal Wands can be used by any arcane caster so it's not limited to Sorcerers.

Glibness is also pretty good as an Eternal Wand, basically Party Face In A Can.

Ramza00
2021-05-18, 11:33 PM
Blood Wind is a good wand to give to your familiar. Let them cast their actions onto you. Good range natural weapons for monks or polymorph characters now attacking at range.

Likewise Dimension Step at CL6 or 9. Give 2 or 3 allies a move action allowing better defense and offense.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-18, 11:39 PM
IIRC, metamagic'd spells can be placed in wands, and metapsionic'd powers can be placed in dorjes. Link Power'd (synchronicity+synchronicity) can be done at ML 2 and grants two standard actions in exchange for a charge and a standard action. You can take the two standard actions any time between the manifestation and your next turn.

A Metapower'd [Link Power'd (synchronicity+synchronicity)] can technically be done at ML 0, but I don't think you can actually make a dorje like that, although if you could, it would technically cost nothing.

Vknight
2021-05-19, 04:48 AM
Clearly Scorching Ray with a CL of enough for 3 rays and maximized.

Venger
2021-05-21, 05:43 AM
There's actually a separate spell for flammable grease in this edition. It's in Complete Mage.

Personally I'm not a fan of grease wands due to the short duration.

Incendiary slime.