PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Question about Aether Kineticist.

death390
2021-05-17, 02:49 PM
SO i was reading the Aether Kineticist Telekinetic blast and Telekinetic Haul.

There are a couple questions i have about the use that i hope we can get some discussion about.

First is "You throw a nearby unattended object at a single foe as a ranged attack." does this mean you can launch the object if it is within Telekinetic lifting distance? within hands reach? Range: Close?

Second what happens if you throw a size large or larger object?
say you are level 10 and can pick up 1000 pounds and pick up a empty Carrige, the dimensions of the Carrige are 15ftx10ft if you have foes next to each-other can you hit both with them even if you are only targeting the one? spend the burn and pick up 10000 pounds and pickup a small felled tree size 5x25 could you hit multiple targets with it?

This is Particularly important with the Foe Throw Infusion because size large is 10x10, scaling up to colossal sized creatures you can throw around. If you throw a giant or dragon into the middle of an army i would assume more than just the target you threw them at gets hurt.

I am kind of basing this off falling object rules, since they are within a the area of a falling object you take falling object damage.

it is the only reason i can think of that Aether gets so jipped when it comes to composites.

Kurald Galain
2021-05-17, 03:31 PM
The idea behind the aether kinny is that you can describe it however you like, but mechanically every blast uses the same rules.

So it's very simple. Throw an apple? 3d6+3+con. Throw a grain of sand? 3d6+3+con. Throw a vorpal sword? 3d6+3+con. Throw a giant? 3d6+3+con. The exact amount depends on your level but not on anything else.

Basically, don't try to describe the talent as something extremely big, because then the result will be silly. Note that Foe Throw is limited to large creatures anyway, so you can't throw a dragon into an army. Well, only a young one, and you can throw it into a single soldier, and it'll deal 3d6+3+con.

"Nearby" isn't specified either; I'd rule 30' myself, because that's the range of the talent. The talent does spell out that size and shape (and magical pluses) have no impact, and they will all end up doing the standard blast damage, 3d6+3+con.

it is the only reason i can think of that Aether gets so jipped when it comes to composites.
Aether is arguably the best element in the game because it's the only one with noteworthy utility.

KillianHawkeye
2021-05-17, 07:10 PM
What Kurald said.

And I also agree that you could throw any applicable object that's also within the power's range. You're basically doing it like Vader vs Luke at the bottom of Cloud City.

Railak
2021-05-18, 11:17 AM
So.. telekinetic haul does nothing for the kinetic blast.. even if you "throw" the object since it states that it doesn't change the damage or target. Even though it really should. You can get around this by dropping the object over enemies rather than throwing it.

death390
2021-05-18, 04:01 PM
Actually you can throw larger creatures with foe throw by taking burn.

"Your telekinetic blast can throw a Large or smaller creature instead of an unattended object; you can increase the burn cost by 1 to affect a creature of a larger size. If the creature you attempt to throw succeeds at a Fortitude save, it negates the blast entirely.

Otherwise, if your blast hits, both the thrown creature and the target take the full amount of damage from your telekinetic blast, and the thrown creature falls prone in the last unoccupied space along its path. If your blast misses, the thrown creature can choose to occupy any space within 30 feet of the target, it doesn’t fall prone, and it takes half the normal amount of damage from your blast. The movement doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity."

that said, i wasn't talking about modifying the damage of the blast but the area.

Also we do know that TK blast gets modified by TK haul.
"When using basic telekinesis, you can move an object that weighs up to 100 pounds per kineticist level you possess. When using your telekinetic blast, you can throw an object weighing up to 100 pounds per kineticist level you possess, but this doesn’t increase the damage. If you accept 1 point of burn, the maximum weight increases to 1,000 pounds per kineticist level you possess and the duration increases to 1 minute per kineticist level you possess."

its not like the object just stops being the same object, your not teleporting the object onto the target. If that was the case you could throw a building down a tunnel with that logic because RAW IS RAW.

hell it makes more sense that the object damages what it hits than it only damages the target.

Kurald Galain
2021-05-19, 12:53 AM
hell it makes more sense that the object damages what it hits than it only damages the target.

Oh, I'm not saying that the kinny rules make sense. I'm just saying that's what its rules are. The class is largely intended to get no benefit whatsoever from circumstance or from buffs.

KillianHawkeye
2021-05-19, 01:07 AM
Imagine that if you throw something 10x the size, you must therefore throw it 1/10th as hard, resulting in dealing the same overall amount of damage.

Darg
2021-05-19, 10:24 AM
Imagine that if you throw something 10x the size, you must therefore throw it 1/10th as hard, resulting in dealing the same overall amount of damage.

You could imagine that larger objects are harder to move and therefore don't do as much damage as their size indicates as the force has been lessened. The size also also counters the "AC bonus" against a slower moving object as it covers a wider area. That said, you aren't shooting grains of sand like a bullet to penetrate armor either so the "AC bonus" against an object of lesser mass is countered by the difficulty of "dodging or deflecting" the blow.