PDA

View Full Version : Enochian Angels

petermcleod117
2021-05-17, 03:49 PM
Has there ever been a stat write-up of the Enochian angels from John Dee's occult traditions? I figure they would be a good fit for a modern campaign.

From what I understand, they would be STRONGLY lawful aligned (having been described as almost acting like an advanced computer program at times), are strongly associated with the 4 classical elements, and have a very large number of rankings such that the ones with the shortest names are the most powerful and intelligent, while the ones with the longest names are barely sentient forces. They are also described as being dangerous and alien, and many occultists seem deeply suspicious of their intentions.

If you guys can't find anything I'll just apply the Half-Celestial template to generic elementals and call it a day.

Dusk Raven
2021-05-18, 02:03 AM
The last time I looked into John Dee's work, I wasn't particularly impressed - but then again, my focus was on the Enochian language itself, with its suspiciously English grammar and words that look more like random arrangements of letters. I didn't get a good sense of the angels themselves, at least not their differences from traditional Abrahamic angels - and what I did see didn't make me interested in depicting them.

Telonius
2021-05-18, 09:37 AM
Has there ever been a stat write-up of the Enochian angels from John Dee's occult traditions? I figure they would be a good fit for a modern campaign.

From what I understand, they would be STRONGLY lawful aligned (having been described as almost acting like an advanced computer program at times), are strongly associated with the 4 classical elements, and have a very large number of rankings such that the ones with the shortest names are the most powerful and intelligent, while the ones with the longest names are barely sentient forces. They are also described as being dangerous and alien, and many occultists seem deeply suspicious of their intentions.

If you guys can't find anything I'll just apply the Half-Celestial template to generic elementals and call it a day.

Applying the Half Elemental template (Manual of the Planes) to some Inevitables would probably work, too. The two Inevitables in the Fiend Folio (Quarut and Varakhut) would be particularly good for higher-powered Enochian angels especially if you advance them.

petermcleod117
2021-05-18, 12:24 PM
Applying the Half Elemental template (Manual of the Planes) to some Inevitables would probably work, too. The two Inevitables in the Fiend Folio (Quarut and Varakhut) would be particularly good for higher-powered Enochian angels especially if you advance them.

i didn't think of that, but yeah that would work too.

noob
2021-05-20, 04:07 AM

Half celestial could give them slas that might or might not fit.
I think it is fair to rewrite the sla table to fit those angels.

petermcleod117
2021-05-20, 02:31 PM
Half celestial could give them slas that might or might not fit.
I think it is fair to rewrite the sla table to fit those angels.

SLA table can be easily swapped around, though in this case I think they would fit. After all, they would already have elemental powers from their base form as being an elemental, so having more angelic spell-like abilities would help round things out a bit.

noob
2021-05-20, 02:41 PM
SLA table can be easily swapped around, though in this case I think they would fit. After all, they would already have elemental powers from their base form as being an elemental, so having more angelic spell-like abilities would help round things out a bit.
Are the high ranking ones supposed to be able to resurrect people or summon other celestials or make people suddenly be their friends?
Those powers at the end of the table does not fits all the varied mythos for angels so it is possible one or two of those could fit but it is unlikely that all three fits.

petermcleod117
2021-05-21, 11:35 AM
Are the high ranking ones supposed to be able to resurrect people or summon other celestials or make people suddenly be their friends?

point taken, yeah that should be swapped out.