PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Step Tattoo and Carrying.

Rat Army
2021-05-18, 12:57 PM
A PC of mine just got his first magical tattoo from Tasha's cauldron of everything; the ghost Step Tattoo. He like to steal stuff, who doesn't.

Will his backpack, and all of it's contents turn incorporeal with him? He wants to pass through doors, undo his incorporealness, steal some stuff, then use a second charge of the spell to escape, hopefully undetected.

I think this is possible, but we both agree that this seems very powerful, at least for stealing stuff, and we wanted to make sure we were interpreting it right.

Are we right? Or are we missing something?

Segev
2021-05-18, 04:03 PM
A PC of mine just got his first magical tattoo from Tasha's cauldron of everything; the ghost Step Tattoo. He like to steal stuff, who doesn't.

Will his backpack, and all of it's contents turn incorporeal with him? He wants to pass through doors, undo his incorporealness, steal some stuff, then use a second charge of the spell to escape, hopefully undetected.

I think this is possible, but we both agree that this seems very powerful, at least for stealing stuff, and we wanted to make sure we were interpreting it right.

If his stuff doesn't go incorporeal with him, he becomes naked when he uses his tattoo.

This should work just fine.

In fact, if he can get in, pick it up, and get out before his first charge is used up, that should work, too. The rules say he can move through solid objects as if they were difficult terrain. It says nothing about restricting what he can carry. I think this is intentional: incorporeality doesn't specify any change to what he can interact with so it doesn't raise these sorts of questions by selective mention. The rules for moving while scarring stuff don't change because it doesn't say they do.

quindraco
2021-05-18, 04:45 PM

Yes. All effects like this work on carried equipment unless stated otherwise - the SAC discusses this. The incorporealness honestly isn't out-of-band for a very rare magic item that requires attunement.

Opposite is true for carried creatures, which you may want to monitor.

PhantomSoul
2021-05-18, 05:19 PM

That's why they made revivification so easily accessible!

Rat Army
2021-05-20, 02:19 PM
Excellent. Now I just have to prepare myself for all the meta gaming questions he will inevitably have.

Segev
2021-05-20, 02:26 PM
Excellent. Now I just have to prepare myself for all the meta gaming questions he will inevitably have.

Feel free to use us as sounding boards for you predicted questions.

Personally, I would Stick to the RAW, here. Incorporeal ty does what it says it does. You can move through solid oboes as if they were difficult terrain. Anything you could do while moving through difficult terrain applies. It doesn't give you flight or anything.

The trickiest bit of ruling might be if he tries to leave something inside a wall. I would treat that as having the effect end within a wall. I believe here are rules for expulsion.

Rat Army
2021-05-20, 05:09 PM
Remember I mentioned all his meta gaming questions, well here we go.

With the tattoo in mind still, he wants to put a creature in a bag of holding, probably the party members or his Steel Defender, turn incorporal, pass through a solid object, go incorporal, and pull them all out.

I've told him he cannot bring other living creatures with him, including constructs, and he's fine with this ruling. He knows he bending these rules to the max. SHEESH! 😉

Segev
2021-05-20, 05:53 PM
Remember I mentioned all his meta gaming questions, well here we go.

With the tattoo in mind still, he wants to put a creature in a bag of holding, probably the party members or his Steel Defender, turn incorporal, pass through a solid object, go incorporal, and pull them all out.

I've told him he cannot bring other living creatures with him, including constructs, and he's fine with this ruling. He knows he bending these rules to the max. SHEESH! 😉

He is within the rules, actually. Bags of holding are extradimensnal spaces. Does this really break anything for your game? I ask because I know surprising the DM can lead to the DM feeling like the PCs are getting away with something. But does it actually obviate a challenge in any significant way that is, for instance, worse an phasing through a door and unlocking it from the other side?

Rat Army
2021-05-20, 06:13 PM
He is within the rules, actually. Bags of holding are extradimensnal spaces. Does this really break anything for your game? I ask because I know surprising the DM can lead to the DM feeling like the PCs are getting away with something. But does it actually obviate a challenge in any significant way that is, for instance, worse an phasing through a door and unlocking it from the other side?

Hmmm. I guess not really.

I've been Googling "extradimensnal space" for the last 45 minutes, slow day at work, and have come up with a few differing opinions, but most have agreed with this. That the bag's interior is totally separate from the Prime Material. Sort of in the Astral Plane

I suppose there's no real harm in doing this. He definitely tries to get away with a lot, so sometimes my initial reaction is to say no and then try to prove myself wrong.

The dimensions of the opening are listed in the description, but do we think the opening can expand to fit another party member in it?

It does seem fun to put another party member into the bag, but can they fit in the opening? I think I might rule they can, it will just flex a bit. Anyone ever had to make that ruling?

Segev
2021-05-20, 09:32 PM
Hmmm. I guess not really.

I've been Googling "extradimensnal space" for the last 45 minutes, slow day at work, and have come up with a few differing opinions, but most have agreed with this. That the bag's interior is totally separate from the Prime Material. Sort of in the Astral Plane

I suppose there's no real harm in doing this. He definitely tries to get away with a lot, so sometimes my initial reaction is to say no and then try to prove myself wrong.

The dimensions of the opening are listed in the description, but do we think the opening can expand to fit another party member in it?

It does seem fun to put another party member into the bag, but can they fit in the opening? I think I might rule they can, it will just flex a bit. Anyone ever had to make that ruling?

A two foot diameter hole is sufficient for many human-sized creatures to fit through.

Rat Army
2021-05-31, 08:34 PM
Ok, here we go again.

There are no rules, that I can find, that state what happens if an incorporeal creature ends its turn inside a creature. Ending your turn inside an object earns the said creature 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled until an unoccupied space if found.

But what about a creature? Of course, my friend wants to try and explode a man from the inside, or grab a mans heart out of his chest. Sounds cool, but are there any official rules for incorporeal creatures ending their turn, inside a non-incorporeal creature?

Segev
2021-05-31, 09:56 PM
Ok, here we go again.

There are no rules, that I can find, that state what happens if an incorporeal creature ends its turn inside a creature. Ending your turn inside an object earns the said creature 1d10 force damage for every 5 feet traveled until an unoccupied space if found.

But what about a creature? Of course, my friend wants to try and explode a man from the inside, or grab a mans heart out of his chest. Sounds cool, but are there any official rules for incorporeal creatures ending their turn, inside a non-incorporeal creature?

No rules, and the rules for incorporeal creatures don't say they can pass through creatures, either. Merely that they can pass through spaces occupied by creatures without treating them as difficult terrain.

Now, obviously, the narrative is that they're passing through the creatures, but mechanically, they're not permitted to stop there. If they insist on doing it, I'd treat them as having stopped inside an object and deal the damage to the incorporeal creature. Not to the corporeal one.