PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 06:31 AM
Good or really good or the goodest?

Winterwind
2007-11-12, 07:28 AM
I tend towards the latter. It's one of my most favourite movies, quite possibly my most favourite one.
Although I much prefer the old version, before they eliminated Harrison Ford's narrative. It contained lots of information and was in a style which I found enhancing to the atmosphere. Yes, I know the narrative was not supposed to be there in the first place, but I considered it a rather good idea.

I find especially the imagery of Sebastian's appartment very compelling. Also, the last few sequences. Moving.

I must admit though that I didn't get the book. ****'s philosophy became too labyrinthine for me at some point.

EDIT: Wow. The forum censors the name of the author. Way to get yourself a name, Philipp K. :smallbiggrin:

Tor the Fallen
2007-11-12, 07:31 AM
I read the book after the movie, and actually liked it more. It was really sad, but for different reasons than why the movie was sad.

Winterwind
2007-11-12, 08:41 AM
Yes, it is (and I, too, read the book only long after seeing the movie), but I remember not exactly grasping what the ultimate point of the book was, what the revelation Deckard has in the ultimate chapters is supposed to mean.

Well, it's been a while, and I only read it once. Maybe I should read it again, perhaps now it would seem clearer.

But yes. Both are sad, albeit in different ways. And Deckard's character in the book (so very, very different from the movie) is the saddest of it all.

Icewalker
2007-11-12, 01:51 PM
Watched the movie a little while back. Awesome movie.

Also made better by three important words: Edward James Olmos.

Ossian
2007-11-13, 08:58 AM
What is a tortoise?

God, I love that movie. When I feel like it's raining inside, I just cut off all lights, insert the tape (DVD is too new), sit on the couch and watch the masterpice till all those moments are lost in time, like...tears...in...rain....

Roy (Batty, not Greenhilt) makes me cry....:smallsigh:

Fascisticide
2007-11-13, 11:30 AM
I didn't like the movie. It is stipped of all the important elements from the book, the importance of having an animal, the significance of electronic animals (hence the title : Do androids dream of electronic sheep), the empathy box, ... All those things that make the book a real philosophical masterpiece.

So when I saw the movie without any of these, it just felt really empty. I was very disappointed.

Tekraen
2007-11-13, 11:42 AM
I remember watching this movie on Laserdisc.

That's right. Laserdisc. It missed so much of the book, but even without it, the movie was fantastic.

Ossian
2007-11-13, 01:46 PM
Aye, true. The book was more philosophical. One of the best examples of "watch the movie first, and then read the book and go to a new level". The movie is still fabulous, poetic, elegiac, and set a standard in our common imagery. There is still a lot of meaning to the movie too, and taken as a separate piece, it's outstanding. Of course that does not mean that Peter Jackson can LIVE after what he did to Faramir....(sorry, that was jus my double standards obsessed ego)

O.

Gygaxphobia
2007-11-13, 01:54 PM
The book and the film are very different, as are the characters portrayed. They both do different things and focus on different ideas.
I really don't think you can compare them directly.
In my view, the film is a better film than the book is a book.

Other books by PKD are better, Man in the High Castle for example. Though I think Minority Report is based on one of his books, I haven't read that book.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 02:00 PM
In my view, the film is a better film than the book is a book.I agree with that, and kudos to you for such a concise and clear formulation.

Other books by PKD are better, Man in the High Castle for example. Though I think Minority Report is based on one of his books, I haven't read that book.Minority Report was, in my humble opinion, a good example of a movie which completely slaughtered the original story, reversed the story's point and did unspeakable things to the poor story's remains.

WalkingTarget
2007-11-13, 02:05 PM
Of course that does not mean that Peter Jackson can LIVE after what he did to Faramir....(sorry, that was jus my double standards obsessed ego)

O.

Yeah, I had real problems with that too. And I try to be understanding of the needs for pragmatic adaptation. I was glad to see slightly better treatment of the character in RotK than in TTT, but still annoying.

I haven't read much by PKD, but I did read Do Androids Dream... well after I first saw Blade Runner. I remember enjoying them both (as well as other films based on his writing, I should probably try to find a copy of Man in the High Castle somewhere...) but it's been quite a while for either.

edit -

I agree with that, and kudos to you for such a concise and clear formulation.

Minority Report was, in my humble opinion, a good example of a movie which completely slaughtered the original story, reversed the story's point and did unspeakable things to the poor story's remains.

Don't get me started on Total Recall vs. We Can Remember it for you Wholesale. Almost a Running Man scenario of good idea + film producers = something completely different. I haven't read Minority Report so I can't add my voice to the changes there, sounds like similar treatment though.

Winterwind
2007-11-13, 02:30 PM
Don't get me started on Total Recall vs. We Can Remember it for you Wholesale. Almost a Running Man scenario of good idea + film producers = something completely different. I haven't read Minority Report so I can't add my voice to the changes there, sounds like similar treatment though.Oh yeah. Total Recall. That was... different. :smalleek:
I read the story long after seeing the movie, but I had read enough of Philipp K. D.'s stories up to this point to wonder how such a pure action movie could possibly be based on one of his stories.
Yeah, well, ignoring everything past one third of the story and making something completely different out of it instead sure is a way to do it.
Pity, too, I really like We Can Remember It For You Wholesome.

EDIT: I hate this forum filter!

Semidi
2007-11-17, 10:51 PM
I just watched blade runner today after realizing I had never seen it before (a shock, I see a lot of movies but some slip through the cracks). Really, really, really great film. I saw the director's cut by the way. Best Sci-fi movie I think I've ever seen, and the best Harrison Ford acting job. Now I'm going to have to read the book. Damn it.