PDA

View Full Version : Tables for Fables - over 100 free random charts for any fantasy RPG

Jolly Steve
2007-11-12, 06:38 AM
and...:smalleek:...erm...that's about it really - they're at www.apolitical.info/webgame/tables (http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/tables)

All feedback welcome.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-12, 02:48 PM
That's a lot of tables...

Lots of these are useful, some of them look useful at first glance and then turn out to be a little lame (it'd be helpful to have a few more notes in the "combining potions" table, for example), and some of them seem a pointless (colour of heraldic devices? Um, why not just pick one? The Stupid Laws table? Okay, it does say "Stupid", I suppose...).

I may yet bookmark this page...

Jolly Steve
2007-11-13, 02:33 AM
That's a lot of tables...

Lots of these are useful, some of them look useful at first glance and then turn out to be a little lame (it'd be helpful to have a few more notes in the "combining potions" table, for example), and some of them seem a pointless (colour of heraldic devices? Um, why not just pick one? The Stupid Laws table? Okay, it does say "Stupid", I suppose...).

I may yet bookmark this page...

Thanks!

One point of randomising things is to break out of un-noticed 'ruts'. For example rolling up a white tree on a light blue background as your villain's standard might make you notice that you tend to give the villain a particular 'look' (black banners etc), and you might decide that that's a cliche that you want to avoid in future.

Or it might serve as a point of departure for a more rounded character - maybe the banner's a tree because he's a genuine nature lover, or it's a sentimental private reference to the tree under which he proposed to his late wife, where she's buried and where he's planning to be buried too. Perhaps this could even be a significant point for an adventure; the characters might gain an advantage if they can work out that threatening to burn down the tree is a good way to get a hold over him (or for the less ruthless, maybe they win his respect by declining to do so) - or it could be a red herring; there must be something great buried near the tree if it's so well-guarded...

By the way, you can blame Gary Gygax for the 'Mixing Potions' table - that's the only one that's based on anything in the DM's Guide (1st edition).