PDA

View Full Version : Goblins clerics and souls

MoiMagnus
2021-05-19, 08:54 AM
Have I missed somewhere in the comics a place where it is said the gods have some sort of "exclusivity right" on their species?

+ Could Thor have goblin clerics (and claim their souls after death)? Or does Fenrir has a monopoly on the goblinoid's souls? (monopoly ignored by TDO because TDO doesn't cooperate with the other gods)
=> Since gods have direct interest in having more souls following them, I'm not sure why any of them would not have jumped on the opportunity to convert them IF that was allowed.

+ What about the IFCC? Do we know if they get the souls of faithless evil goblinoids?
[In fact, I only remember seeing them collect the souls of humans under the Western pantheon, do you think they get any dwarven souls or do Loki's bet also immune dwarfs from having their souls claimed by the fiends?]

Keltest
2021-05-19, 09:04 AM
The situation with the dwarves automatically going to Hel save when they die with honor seems to be a special case. All the other races go to an alignment-and-religion-appropriate afterlife, and this presumably includes the goblins. Its just that as the only deity worshipped by an overwhelming majority of the goblins, TDO gets them all by default.

As far as the IFCC goes, they dont "get" any souls directly, but they do serve to process them as part of the normal workings of their home planes. This presumably ranges from giving them the "Welcome to Hell, glad to be working with you!" introductory speeches, to taking their turn poking all the souls with a flaming prod. You know, normal workday stuff.

InvisibleBison
2021-05-19, 09:20 AM
Have I missed somewhere in the comics a place where it is said the gods have some sort of "exclusivity right" on their species?

No, you haven't, because there is no such rule. In fact, it's the opposite (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1083.html): Gods normally only get the souls of their worshipers, regardless of who created what species. That's why Loki offers Hel "default dominion over all souls from a major race" instead of offering to let her create the dwarves.

+ Could Thor have goblin clerics (and claim their souls after death)? Or does Fenrir has a monopoly on the goblinoid's souls? (monopoly ignored by TDO because TDO doesn't cooperate with the other gods)

Since there is no creator monopoly system, there's no inherent reason why Thor couldn't have goblin clerics; it just requires for a goblin to want to become a cleric of Thor (which isn't going to happen any time soon) and for Thor to agree to sponsor the goblin (which depends entirely on the character of the would-be cleric).

=> Since gods have direct interest in having more souls following them, I'm not sure why any of them would not have jumped on the opportunity to convert them IF that was allowed.

The gods aren't allowed to act directly in the world. They may want goblin worshipers, but the only way they could get them is by having their clerics go and convert the goblins, which is far more likely to result in the death of the cleric than any goblin converts.

+ What about the IFCC? Do we know if they get the souls of faithless evil goblinoids?
[In fact, I only remember seeing them collect the souls of humans under the Western pantheon, do you think they get any dwarven souls or do Loki's bet also immune dwarfs from having their souls claimed by the fiends?]

I'm not sure how the IFCC gets souls. Obviously they get all the souls they've bought or rented, but I don't think they make so many deals as to account for all the souls we see them getting in #918. I suspect most of these souls are actually given to one of the evil gods in the Western Pantheon, and simply allocated to Lee to be dealt with in some fashion, much like how Roy's soul was assigned to one of the gods of the Northern Pantheon but was dealt with by Roy's Archon.

Worldsong
2021-05-19, 09:33 AM
I'm not sure how the IFCC gets souls. Obviously they get all the souls they've bought or rented, but I don't think they make so many deals as to account for all the souls we see them getting in #918. I suspect most of these souls are actually given to one of the evil gods in the Western Pantheon, and simply allocated to Lee to be dealt with in some fashion, much like how Roy's soul was assigned to one of the gods of the Northern Pantheon but was dealt with by Roy's Archon.

The majority of souls don't get assigned to a specific deity but to an alignment-based plane. Roy's soul was assigned to Celestia, the Lawful Good plane.

From my understanding when a soul goes to a plane rather than a deity their essence powers all deities who have the same alignment as that plane. However since they have to share each individual deity gets less out of this than from a soul which belongs to them alone, which is why deities are still motivated to get more followers.

I'm assuming that the fiends also are part of the process when souls get thrown into the plane they belong to.

MoiMagnus
2021-05-19, 09:35 AM
Thank you!

Fyraltari
2021-05-19, 09:53 AM
The gods only get the souls of their worshippers. The unafilliated ones just go to their respective alignment's plane like the Greenhilts in Celestia.

The Directors are all high-ranking member of their evil home planes pecking order, so their duties involve sorting out the freshly arrived souls like the deva's did.

Thermophille
2021-05-19, 11:34 AM

Remember, Fenris made goblins as part of a zerg rush strategy. Its implied that a god can't use their 'turn' to contradict or cancel out what a previous god has done. Because of this, Thor wouldn't be able to do anything to change their starting situation, because Fenris already determined that.

Now, we don't know for sure that the war that created TDO was this zerg rush, but let us assume for a moment that it was. Since none of the other gods can contradict Fenris and meaningfully affect things before this first war, they had no say it what happened there.

Once this war has happened, the goblins have a new patron, TDO. The other gods now cannot preach to the goblins with meaningful success. At this point, they leave the welfare of the goblins to TDO, who instead of trying to improve their situation or encourage positive relations, immediately jumps to holding the whole world hostage.

Now, we don't have a good timeline for world history, but in this scenario, there is no point where the other gods could meaningfully assist the goblins without first crossing Fenris or later TDO. Sure, they could have released a mandate to not kill goblins, but good gods already preached general goodness, and evil gods don't care, and some gods seem to have prioritized stopping TDO's plans, seeing the actions of the Sapphire Guard in How The Paladin Got His Scar.

mjasghar
2021-05-21, 06:58 PM
In d&d evil souls not claimed by any deity end up as the basic petitioner of their aligned plane
In the abyss and nine hells these are specific lower forms of fiends
The majority of evil souls will of course be neutral to law and chaos. These end up in hades as giant maggots with humanoid faces. Which are then herded up by Hags (super witches who can even turn ordinary people into these maggots). These souls are then used as spell components or bought by one of the fiend races who can turn them into their lawful or chaotic variant via magical torture.
Since powerful evil mortals know about this they generally either do a deal to commit evils that will get them immediate promotion up the food chain (oh yes btw fiends commonly eat each other and its a permanent death of that soul/moved on to its next incarnation). Which may or may not be fulfilled.