PDA

View Full Version : Portal to D&D IC - Aracor

Rizban
2021-05-19, 12:22 PM
Konrad Stiles loved games of all kinds.

He graduated from college (barely), with a degree, but not one of those high-powered ones. So he worked as an assistant manager in the coffee shop. Games were his release from a tedious job and a tedious life. Board games, TTRPGs, card games, you name it, he did it.

He started playing computer games, and basically counted on other people to keep his PC up and running. He loved the RPG that combined many different nerd things.

He played lots of different classes, but was just starting a new character as a halfling wizard named Tessa. People told him it was the ultimate thrill, because if you screw up even a tiny bit, big things could go wrong. And wizards don't have much margin for error. He was getting into it, but then he also started clicking with a lady friend, and had less time to invest in said game.

So he clicked on one of those emails promising him new gear or gold or something in the game. Not necessarily because he believed the email, but because he didn't think anything could actually go wrong. After all, worst-case scenario he just gets one of his friends to reload the computer and starts over. Everything in the game itself is saved server-side, right? RIGHT?!

After a few minutes of struggling with the process, you manage to install the definitely not suspicious app, start it up, and log into your account. You start trying to figure out how to activate the "Unlimited Gold" hack.

Suddenly, a popup fills your vision.

Greetings, Player!
You have been offered the chance to remake yourself anew!
Do you accept this offer?
| Yes | No |

The popup closes, a second taking its place.

Warning!
This action will delete your current character, forcing you to restart at level 1 but offer fabulous and unique opportunities!
Do you wish to continue?
| Yes | No |

The popup closes, as a third popup appears.

Final Warning!
Note that this action cannot be reversed.
Are you ready to leave your life behind and enter a new realm?
| Yes | No |

The popup vanishes, and you a forcibly logged out a few seconds later with a new notification.

Your Account Has Been Banned
Duration: Permanent
Reason: Usage of unauthorized software to illegally manipulate game data.

Well, really, what else did you expect?

Game Over

Aracor
2021-05-19, 12:27 PM
Konrad Stiles loved games of all kinds.

He graduated from college (barely), with a degree, but not one of those high-powered ones. So he worked as an assistant manager in the coffee shop. Games were his release from a tedious job and a tedious life. Board games, TTRPGs, card games, you name it, he did it.

He started playing computer games, and basically counted on other people to keep his PC up and running. He loved the RPG that combined many different nerd things.

He played lots of different classes, but was just starting a new character as a halfling wizard named Tessa. People told him it was the ultimate thrill, because if you screw up even a tiny bit, big things could go wrong. And wizards don't have much margin for error. He was getting into it, but then he also started clicking with a lady friend, and had less time to invest in said game.

So he clicked on one of those emails promising him new gear or gold or something in the game. Not necessarily because he believed the email, but because he didn't think anything could actually go wrong. After all, worst-case scenario he just gets one of his friends to reload the computer and starts over. Everything in the game itself is saved server-side, right? RIGHT?!

After a few minutes of struggling with the process, you manage to install the definitely not suspicious app, start it up, and log into your account. You start trying to figure out how to activate the "Unlimited Gold" hack.

Suddenly, a popup fills your vision.

The popup closes, a second taking its place.

The popup closes, as a third popup appears.

The popup vanishes, and you a forcibly logged out a few seconds later with a new notification.

Well, really, what else did you expect?

Game Over

Yes, Yes, Yes! Of course I agree! Let's hurry up and get to the good part!

Rizban
2021-05-19, 04:58 PM
Pain courses through your entire body, pain which should be blocked or at least reduced by the game's pain filters. You have them set to minimum, after all.

The taste of rainbows fills your ears as the sensation of being turned inside out and sucked through your toes overwhelms your senses, causing you to black out just as you start to realize that installing sketchy programs on your full immersion hardware hooked directly to your brain might not have been the best idea.

You awaken an unknown period of time later and find yourself numb, completely unable to feel your body. Your ears hear nothing, and only a black emptiness meets you as you try to open your eyes.

Just as panic begins to set in, a popup appears. You feel relief at knowing that you're still in the game. You attempt to open a menu to determine your status, but nothing happens. The popup vibrates at you, as if somehow angered that you're ignoring it.

Welcome to your New Life+
Click below to begin character creation.
| Below |

You find yourself unable to do anything but interact with the popup mentally, just as you would with any popup in the game.

After clicking the button, a series of numbers, symbols, and random words fly across your vision faster than you can read. You feel an almost intrusive sensation in your mind, as if someone or something is peering deep within.

Suddenly, a visual representation of dice scatter across your screen. The final result of each becoming large enough to fill your vision for a brief second.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Rizban
2021-05-19, 05:04 PM
Congratulations!
You have received one [1] Greater Boon.
You have received one [1] Moderate Boon.

Please choose your race.

A representation of the major races appears standing nude in front of you. Or rather, you see yourself in front of you, slightly altered to appear as each of the major races. A hazy line of individuals stretching off into the distance, which you intuit to be subraces that could be available for selection after making your choices.

Your available choices are

Human
__

Dwarf
__

Halfling
__

Orc
__

Aberrant

Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information

There is a pair of buttons hovering under each which would allow you to select each race or get more information.

Almost obscured near what you would expect to be the floor, if such a thing existed, are nearly invisible buttons which read:

Apply Greater Boon to Race
Apply Moderate Boon to Race

There is no further information about the buttons.

Before you click anything, you feel a foreboding sensation that any and all choices you make at this time will be permanent.

Aracor
2021-05-19, 05:27 PM
I'm definitely going to tap Information for each race then!

Rizban
2021-05-19, 05:37 PM
Human
Humans are the most common race through most of the realm. They are far more adaptable than any other; however, they tend to have poor relations with the non-human races.

Dwarf
Dwarves are industrious craftsmen who typically live deep underground. They have a warrior heritage that honors fallen heroes of old in a form of ancestor worship. Dwarves have a high resistance to magic of all types, which unfortunately makes it difficult for them to use most magic themselves.

Halfling
Haflings are a small and oft overlooked race. They are jovial and friendly travelers, but they are also skilled burglars.

Orc
Orcs are thought to be brutish thugs, but that's because most orcs encountered by other races were driven from their homes for that very behavior. Orcs have less developed industry than most other races, as they tend to prefer to honor the old ways and live as one with the land.

Aberrant
Aberrants are born... wrong. Some suffer mutations, others are born conjoined with parasitic symbionts, while others are just significantly different from their parent race in mildly disturbing ways.

Aracor
2021-05-19, 06:09 PM
Hmmm....no telling how many places I can spend these boons on, but by the same token, they're probably one-use.

...think....

...think...

I'm going to hoard them for now. I hope it will give me a warning if I'm getting to a point where I CAN'T use them any more.

I know humans are probably the best race. But they're boring. I already play one in real life!
And if dwarves have difficulty USING magic, when my plan was to be a wizard? I think we'll skip that option.

Select Halfling. That was the plan, let's make it happen! I can live with being overlooked. I'd just better not get pigeonholed into being a rogue, or I'm going to be VERY unhappy with you, game!

...also, it's really hard to know what to use this stuff on when I don't know what they'll do! This seems like something you need to fix in the next patch.

Rizban
2021-05-20, 09:02 AM
As soon as he touches the button for halfling, all of the other race representations disappear. You find yourself able to customize the appearance of the halfling to you liking, including changing the sex. All of your choices, however, fall within halfling norms.

When you're finished, your point of view shifts instantly, and you find yourself in the character you just shaped. You once again have feeling, the numbness gone. However, you still feel weightless in the black nothingness around you.

An extremely sparse character sheet appears in your vision. (Link sent to you)

You find yourself able to fill in a few minor blanks. You also have 2 points to spend on your ability scores, increasing any chosen score by 1. However, you can't assign more than 1 point to the same ability.

Aracor
2021-05-20, 10:34 AM
Hmm...no racial modifiers? That's crap. Maybe I should have chosen human. I expected to have a higher dexterity.

I don't see an ability to apply a boon here, so I hope I haven't lost them. But I also don't know if I could have applied both boons here, so I THINK I'll have a chance to use them again later.

Now, the question is: How does this work, exactly? I haven't chosen class yet, and with those stats, any class is going to be...not ideal, I suppose is going to be the best way to put it.

But...If I'm going for a wizard, I guess I'd better play the part. +1 to intelligence. For the other...I suppose dexterity still makes the most sense for now. Maybe it will apply racial modifiers later.

Now to play with the appearance settings. While I enjoy short halflings, I think the stereotypical "tall" character fits, though just tall for a halfling. Dark skin, maybe like southeast asian. Ooh, an asian halfling in appearance actually sounds really cool. That means black hair, brown eyes.

I wonder if anyone will recognize the joke/reference in the first name.

And I'll give myself 100 experience for creating a solid character with the options I had! Win!

Okay, all done! Now where are those boons?

Rizban
2021-05-20, 12:19 PM
The racial modifiers appear as you attempt to spend your stat points, revealing a -1 Str and +1 Dex.

The experience you attempt to add arbitrarily doesn't seem to do anything and disappears from the chart as soon as you look away.

As you finalize your ability scores, you receive a notification that you will receive 2 points to spend on any ability score of your choice at each future character level, but you still won't be able to assign more than one point to the same score at any given level.

Your vision blurs again as you are given a choice of classes, basic gear sets appearing before you, representing each class option.

Lurk
__

Rogue
__

Scout
__

Wizard
__

Wu Jen

Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information

Apply Greater Boon to Class
Apply Moderate Boon to Class

Aracor
2021-05-20, 02:24 PM
Hmmm...only +1 / -1. I thought this was supposed to be authentic. This means I'm not even a Lightfoot halfling, much less a Tallfellow or a Strongheart halfling.

Okay, for starters, information is good. I'll tap on every Information button, and also inspect the gear sets. Do they include armor? Weapons? Tools? I'm also realizing that there's a problem. While this interface is intuitive, it's too...linear. Even for character generation. Especially since there's so little explanation. I'm already disappointed that they didn't let me choose a halfling subrace. I'll bet ELVES got at least a couple of subraces, like high elves and wood elves. Everyone always goes gaga over the elves.

After getting as much info as possible from the class information, I'm going to start tapping elsewhere. Especially if I can see a question mark or something that's a different color, but even without I'm going to randomly poke around and see if there's anything else to find. There SHOULD be some kind of Back button, or Help button, or Assist, or SOMETHING else hiding around. Maybe poke BETWEEN the class choices, though I'll be careful not to hit any of the Select buttons yet.

Rizban
2021-05-20, 03:42 PM
Lurk
Part psion, part sneak-thief, a lurk can do it all. Each lurk can specialize in a different archetype to better tailor their abilities to their needs.

Rogue
Thief, trickster, assassin. All of these stem from the rogue class. Their deft use of skill complements their stealth abilities nicely.

Scout
Fast moving masters of stealth and reconnaissance, scouts are natural skirmishers and ambushers that combine many of the talents of rangers and rogues.

Wizard
Through great effort and study, a wizard learns to cast arcane spells. Though their potiential for growth is neraly unlimited, the time dedicated to research often seems overwhelming.

Wu Jen
With power over the elements and spiritual forces of nature, a wu jen is an unusual arcane spellcaster who gains powers by ritually purifying their minds and bodies.

I'm already disappointed that they didn't let me...Didn't let you what? :smallconfused:

[roll0]

Your random prodding doesn't turn up anything.

Aracor
2021-05-20, 03:48 PM
Didn't let you what? :smallconfused:

Updated. Sorry...

Okay. Let's think logically. Clearly the boons are going to be some kind of upgrade. Since I didn't use it on my race, and wasn't able to use it on my stats, the next most important thing is going to be class. Every other choice beyond that is a derivative of class.

Activate Greater Boon!

Also, could I tell anything about the gear sets? I'm presuming the Wu-Jen and the Wizard have a spellbook, and hopefully a rogue has thief's tools, but other than that I'm really curious if that tells me anything.

Rizban
2021-05-20, 05:20 PM
The gear sets look absolutely amazing. Fancy clothes, shiny armor, "cool" weapons excessively covered in spikes that would make them completely useless in actual combat, and everything made from the rarest of materials. Probably not the best gear in the game, but definitely the type you'd see in advertisements to hook players into trying the game.

You feel a deep sense of loss as your Greater Boon is consumed, forever gone.

Your class choices go blurry for a moment before reappearing seemingly unchanged, at least at first glance.

Lurk/?
__

Rogue/?
__

Scout/?
__

Wizard/?
__

Wu Jen/?

Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information
__
[tr]Select | Information

The buttons for both of your boons have disappeared.

Aracor
2021-05-20, 06:17 PM
Okay, so that means the sets of gear aren't starting gear. That figures. I'll probably be lucky if I get a flask of alchemist's fire then. I'm predicting a set of clothes, a backpack, and a basic quarterstaff or club.

Since I have nothing else really to choose, I'm going to select Wizard for my class.

Rizban
2021-05-21, 01:29 PM
After selecting Wizard, you gain a prompt to select a "linked class," but are given no further information on what exactly that means. You are able to choose from any base class from the Player's Handbook (except Wizard, of course) or any of the other classes that you have already unlocked: Lurk, Scout, or Wu Jen.

Apply Moderate Boon to Linked Class

Aracor
2021-05-21, 03:01 PM
Hmmm...Wu Jen would be be a LOT of casting, but it doesn't really add much that I don't already have. Basically just a new spell list and new spells. They're good, but...I should probably expand a bit more.

Scout is a solid class, and it's built around being mobile. Mobility is pretty easy for a caster since most of their actions are standard, which means they have movement to spare. Solid skills, which is something Racso is lacking right now (especially due to his intelligence score).
Rogue is very similar to scout. They rely on ambush rather than mobility, but sneak attack is a lot more damage than skirmish. Other than that, solid skill class. Less special abilities, but better damage.
Lurk. Semi-skill monkey, but not as good at it as a rogue or scout. Psionic Sneak Attack isn't as good as the real thing, but maintaining Psionic Focus shouldn't be THAT big of a deal since I'll be taking Concentration anyway. Disadvantage is that Lurk augments don't actually work with ranged attacks. And of course it offers me Lurk instead of Psychic Rogue. Bah.

For the rest of the core classes...Let's think about which ones actually synergize.
Rage is straight out. No charisma, no wisdom, that screws over divine casters and bards/sorcerers. In fact, sorcerer has the same problem overall as Wu-Jen, only moreso because it relies on a different stat.
Why can't I choose beguiler for my linked class? That would be...really nice. It would synergize well, and even provide Ultimate Magus later.
Fighter for feats, ranger for skills and BAB, plus fortitude saves. But Favored Enemy isn't great.

I think the choice is obvious. Select Scout for linked class. It'll make damaging cantrips useful early on at the very least.

Rizban
2021-05-22, 12:28 AM
When you select Scout as your secondary class, you sense it merge with your previously chosen Wizard class. You class changes to Wizard Outrider.

Wizard Specialization
Select your specialized wizard school.
Select your two banned schools.

Aracor
2021-05-23, 02:24 PM
Select Specialization School Conjuration.
Select Opposition School: Necromancy
Select Opposition School: Enchantment

Select Abrupt Jaunt
Trade Scribe Scroll for Augment Summoning

Rizban
2021-05-23, 03:23 PM
The system shudders for a moment as it attempts to process your requests for Alternative Class Features. A moment later, the menus shift to accommodate your selections. It seems that the options already existed but were hidden for some unknown reason.

Your character sheet appears again, and begins to fill itself out.

You have the option to select two [2] feats from your first level. You also gain Augment Summoning as a bonus feat from your class. Your choices are anything you qualify for from the Player's Handbook or Complete Adventurer.

Aracor
2021-05-24, 06:58 PM
I think I have to plan for short term, because I have no idea how long I'll get to go.

Select Feat: Spell Focus: Conjuration
Select Feat: Extend Spell

Maybe I can take Metamagic School Focus and Cloudy Conjuration soon.

Rizban
2021-05-25, 11:08 AM
You gain sixteen [16] Skill Points. Your class skills are Balance, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (any), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, and Use Rope.

You gain access to a Spellbook which already contains a number of cantrips. You gain four [4] 1st-Level Spells, one of which must be of the Conjuration school.

Aracor
2021-05-25, 11:32 PM
Skill points. Concentration and Spellcraft are no-brainers. I'm still primarily a wizard. With so few skill points right now, I'll have to spread out the rest. One point in Decipher Script and Tumble so I can at least make a check, though better to avoid it until I have it boosted more. Search, Spot, and Listen, because I'd like to build those up. A few points into commonly used knowledges, I'll work on building those up more as I level. I guess that covers it.

Ooh, not a bad cantrip list. I'd like to find Caltrops and get it in there at some point, but that's certainly not worth a 1st level slot.

First level spells: Wall of Smoke (Conjuration) - Fort save disable, uses my best save DC, also provides line of sight blocking. Enlarge Person (Transmutation) - hopefully I can get an ally to cast it on. If not, I just won't prepare it. Yay, options. Mage Armor (Conjuration) - AC is never a bad thing, though I won't be able to get too much use out of it right away simply due to slot issues. Light of Lunia (Evocation) for the last one. It'll give me two attacks instead of just one even at caster level 1. As a wizard, it's okay to have spells that don't age well. And I can get bonus damage out of it with Skirmish as long as I keep moving.

Rizban
2021-05-26, 08:00 PM
Your vision goes completely black.

You feel something cold and hard on your back, the air around you slightly humid.

You are surrounded by silence, broken only by the sound of your own breathing.

You realize that you are lying on the ground with your eyes closed.

Rizban
2021-05-26, 09:26 PM
[roll0]
Meant to have this in the last post...

Aracor
2021-05-26, 09:49 PM
"What the HELL was that?" This is...weird. Like seriously.

Okay. Let's start at the beginning. Open my eyes. Look around. Stand up? Hopefully I'm not looking at a dragon's maw or something...

Also, what the hell happened to my moderate boon? It never asked about it again!

Rizban
2021-05-26, 10:17 PM
You sit up, wiping a thin layer of dew from your face and note that you are wearing only what appears to be a blue hospital gown, though it thankfully closes securely in the back.

You look around to find yourself in a small forest glade about 20 feet across. A shallow natural pool filled with crystal clear water can be found in the middle, though you see no obvious source for the water.

The trees surrounding you are all ancient hardwoods and grow so closely together that they almost form a solid wall, leaving only one obvious path out.

A number of purple and orange mushrooms grow in the shade by the trees.

Aracor
2021-05-26, 10:33 PM
Hmmm...no idea where I am or how I got here.

From a metagaming perspective: Mushrooms in general are risky, but in a starting area, it would be weird to put something that's going to kill you in a starting spot.

I'll ignore the mushrooms for now, and inspect the water. Any smells? Anything in the water moving?

If it seems safe, I'll try a sip and see what happens.

Rizban
2021-05-26, 10:59 PM
The pool of water is a little over an inch deep and about 10 inches wide. As you get near to the water, you notice that it has a very faint glow to it.

You poke a finger into it and note that it just feels like water. Deciding to risk you, you dab a little on your tongue and note that it fizzes a bit in your mouth like a carbonated drink. It tastes like clean, fresh water, so you decide to go ahead and have a drink.

After drinking enough to quench your thirst, a glowing gold buff icon appears in the top left of your vision. When you focus on it, a popup appears explaining things.

Sacred Water

You gain 25% increased Experience.
(23:59:47)

Aracor
2021-05-27, 08:37 AM
Oooh! That's delightful! Am I a Ken doll under this hospital gown? Also: Is there a backpack or some other method of storage?

I guess I'll go look at the mushrooms, too. Maybe they give me temporary hit points or something. I'm wary enough that I'm going to inspect thoroughly before just eating them.

Also, since I'm surrounded by trees. Is there a solid branch about 3-4 feet tall that I could grab and use as a quarterstaff? I'd prefer ranged weapons, but I'd feel better if I had something.

Rizban
2021-05-28, 01:15 PM
The first fifteen feet of the trees are almost uniformly barren of anything but smooth bark before branching out into a thick canopy that all but blots out the sky above. They grow so closely together that it would be nearly impossible for even a halfling of your size to squeeze between them, even then only if they were well trained in contorting themselves through narrow spaces.

The floor of this tiny clearing in the grove is unnaturally clear of undergrowth, branches, or even fallen leaves... Just as you might expect from a game that doesn't devote quite that many resources to realism. On the other hand, the sounds, smells, and even sense of touch is beyond what you were aware was even possible with current technology. It's like playing a whole new game, but certain things definitely give it away as being not quite real.

The mushrooms stand out because they're the only "decoration" on the forest floor besides the sacred pool and diffuse shadows cast by the sun hidden beyond the canopy above. You approach them and discover two distinct types: purple and orange.

The purple mushrooms grow in the soil between the roots of the trees and reach up to three or four inches tall, occasionally have pale, white spots, with the largest seeming to have faded to lilac or a dull brown. The caps are covered with a thin layer of slime that occasionally drips from them when disturbed.

https://aldhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/purple-cort-e1622225681280.jpg

The orange mushrooms grow on the exposed roots and lower trunks of the trees themselves. They have no real... stems... trunks... whatever the parts of the mushroom are called. You never really studied fungus. They appear almost like shelves growing on the wood and vaguely remind you of oysters.

https://aldhaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/orange-mush.jpg

Aracor
2021-05-28, 02:55 PM
Okay. Not quite brave enough to try mushrooms dripping with slime, though that's still some impressive graphics technology.

I guess I'll sniff at the orange ones at first.

Rizban
2021-05-28, 11:15 PM
The orange mushrooms smell vaguely of some sort of animal musk and rotting wood.

Aracor
2021-05-29, 01:17 AM
Okay, two things. First, I'm seeing two things on my character sheet that I'm unfamiliar with. Hearthstone and Indifferent. Can I try to select them or something, see what they do?

Second, let's give it a shot. I'll take a bite of an orange one.

Let it be known, if this kills me already, that'll be more effed up than a rhino raping a chinchilla while dressed up in a unicorn's undergarments!

P.S. What happened to my moderate boon? I don't see it listed or anything.

Rizban
2021-05-29, 03:29 PM
When you interact with your character sheet, you're left somewhat confused by the descriptions that appear for the two abilities.

Bind your soul? Okay, that's kind of neat fluff for respawning.

Just a game? Of course it's just a game. There's no reason to think otherwise. This isn't an ability! It's just a description for how people play MMOs. There's probably some alternate ability called "role player" or something for people that get super into the lore.

You attempt to take a bite of the orange mushroom without even breaking it off from the tree. It's tough as old leather, making it near impossible to just bite through. You gnaw on it a little, but quickly try to spit out what little you managed to get. It's vile and disgusting! A debuff icon appears, indicating that you're nauseated for the next minute.

This mushroom is clearly not intended as food...

Aracor
2021-05-29, 10:38 PM
All right, I think I've exhausted the options here in the starting area. Once the nauseated condition wears off, I'll head out through the obvious path and see what I can see.

Rizban
2021-05-30, 12:37 PM
You look around and notice that there's really only one way out, a low tunnel made from overhanging branches. Just inside the mouth of the tunnel behind a largish root, you spot a small obelisk carved of rust-colored stone swirled with white (https://d18wkpp7xvnw38.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/products/mecox/AA-1019-065_0.jpg).

You feel drawn to touch it, but you note nothing else abnormal about it.

Aracor
2021-05-30, 06:47 PM
I'll poke it.

Rizban
2021-05-30, 07:08 PM
Hearthstone Discovered

Do you wish to bind your soul to this hearthstone
to be revived here upon death?
| Yes | No |

Aracor
2021-05-30, 09:01 PM
Yes. Until I find somewhere better, this is as good as any.

Rizban
2021-05-30, 09:37 PM
You feel a pressure in your chest as your soul is bound to the obelisk, and the obelisk now sports a single point of light glowing dimly. You assume this represents your bond.

Standing in the stone room now gives you a sense of familiarity, like coming home after a long trip.

Aracor
2021-05-31, 07:29 AM
Okay. Continue on to the outside.

Rizban
2021-05-31, 09:25 AM
You make your way through the narrow tunnel, which definitely doesn't look natural. It's definitely one of those game constructs where the developers didn't want you getting off the path, so there's just no way through the trees. It turns once to the right and then abruptly ends in bright daylight.

You step through the exit only to find yourself standing on the edge of a vast forest looking out at gently rolling plains. About a quarter mile from where you stand, you see the beginnings of cultivated fields. The nearest ones appear to be some sort of grain. Just beyond the hill, you can several wispy trails of smoke rising in the evening light, likely from a small village.

Nearby, you spot several groups of rabbits.

As you're looking around at your new surroundings, you spot what appears to be another player dressed in the mismatched junk gear of the average noob charge down into a large hole in the ground, weapon raised and a battle cry on her lips. Some sort of starter dungeon, maybe?

Aracor
2021-05-31, 07:27 PM
"Ho there! Umm...you have SOME gear, so you're in better shape than I am with this hospital gown and nothing else.

Is it just me, or was the character creation process something vaguely like a burning biplane careening toward the statue of liberty? I have no real idea of what's going on at this point."

What does the other character look like? Race? Appearance? Seems to be some kind of fighter type, which may be exactly what I need to help survive.

I'll walk toward where he's charging to see what's going on.

Rizban
2021-06-01, 10:52 AM
You're too far away to get her attention before she charges into the dungeon.

As you approach, you hear the sounds of battle and the horrific screaming of angry rabbits (https://youtu.be/O-3z-TjnqB4?t=14).

Just as you are about to look inside, you duck as a bloody rabbit flies through the air before landing in a crumpled mess and dissolving into motes of light that rush back into the dungeon.

When you look inside, you see the red-haired human(?) woman surrounded by the bloody corpses of rabbits with large, razor-sharp teeth. She reaches down and taps one of the corpses, causing all to revert to motes of light. You hear the sounds of clinking coins as the woman smiles and counts her loot.

Aracor
2021-06-01, 11:40 AM
"What the *#$^ kind of rabbits are those? I would have thought rabbits are just little noncombat things that will mostly just wander around randomly and die in one hit if you get close and kick them!

Those...WHAT?!"

Rizban
2021-06-01, 04:04 PM
She spins to face you when you practically shout in reaction to the rabbits.

From what I can tell, the bigger ones are called Bashers. And there are a lot fewer of them around today than there were yesterday.

The woman kept her club up, though she rested it against her shoulder.

I'm Shanna, by the way.

You haven't actually seen any of the "larger" ones yet...

Aracor
2021-06-01, 04:38 PM
"I'm Racso. As you can probably guess based on my dress, I'm brand new here.

Is it just me, or was the character creation process something vaguely like a burning biplane careening toward the statue of liberty? I have no real idea of what's going on at this point.

Though I've learned two things: Water good, mushrooms bad.

Care to offer me some pointers? I can throw stuff pretty damn effectively (assuming I can find something to throw), so I'd be happy to 'throw' in my support as well (and I can even be punny!). I can also use a little bit of magic if things get dicey."

Rizban
2021-06-01, 11:08 PM
Pointers? Uhhh.... Well, so far, here is what I have figured out. Things actually hurt, I have actually bled. I don't want to find out what death entails, but I have a Hearthstone, so if it happens, I will hopefully be okay?

She sighed.

Look, I'm gonna level with you here, I was going to try and clear this dungeon out today, but if you want to team up I can help you gain some XPs.

Party Notice

Shanna has offered you a party invite.
Current Members: 1 Shanna
Do you wish to join Silence of the Bold?

Yes
No

Aracor
2021-06-01, 11:16 PM
Yes!

"If we can find me some kind of weapon (preferably ranged), I'll help you clear out the rest of the dungeon."

Rizban
2021-06-01, 11:18 PM
You have joined Silence of the Bold 2.0 (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?632429-Portal-to-D-amp-D-IC-Silence-of-the-Bold-2-0).

You should ask your question again there.

Rizban
2021-06-01, 11:20 PM
When you step through the entrance to the dungeon, you receive a notification.

You have entered a Transient Dungeon!
These dungeons spawn randomly throughout the Realm and are completed when the Dungeon Boss is defeated. Once completed, a Transient Dungeon will cease to exist, and all Players and NPCs not spawned by the dungeon will be automatically transported back to the dungeon entrance. Uncollected items and resources will be permanently lost.

Achievement: Entered a Dungeon

You have entered a dungeon for the first time. Gain 10 experience.

Aracor
2021-06-02, 09:13 AM
Should I be adding that notice (and the resulting experience) to my character sheet?

Rizban
2021-06-02, 01:21 PM
Should I be adding that notice (and the resulting experience) to my character sheet?

Yes. You're responsible for tracking your own XP, though I may poke at it occasionally.

Aracor
2021-06-04, 10:11 PM
I guessed as to the stats for my rocks. I assume you can correct things if they're wrong.

Rizban
2021-06-06, 02:57 PM
The rocks will be 1d3-1, because of the Str penalty on a thrown weapon; however, as with all weapons, there's a minimum damage roll of 1. The rest looks right.

Rizban
2021-06-07, 03:49 PM
Simply carrying around the rocks didn't generate an achievement, because they're just rocks. However, using one as a weapon to strike an enemy suddenly does!

Achievement: Equipped a Weapon

You have equipped your first weapon. Gain 10 experience.

Achievement: Killed a Monster

You have killed your first Monster. Gain 10 experience.