PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 UA Generic Spellcaster & Mystic theurge

Guk
2021-05-19, 12:54 PM
So UA says; (for generic spellcaster)
"Spellcasting: A spellcaster learns and casts spells as a sorcerer.
She may select her spells known from the cleric, druid,
and sorcerer/wizard spell lists.
A spellcaster must choose at 1st level whether to be an arcane
spellcaster or a divine spellcaster. This choice has no impact on
the spells that she may learn, but affects what kinds of scrolls she
can use and which ability score controls her spellcasting. An arcane
spellcaster may designate either Intelligence or Charisma
as the ability score that determines the highest-level spell she
can learn or cast, and the Diffi culty Class of her spellÂ’s saving
throws. A divine spellcaster must use Wisdom to determine the
highest-level spell she can learn or cast, and the DC of her spellÂ’s
saving throws.
Multiclassing: A character can multiclass between arcane
spellcaster and divine spellcaster."

Ok, So If I take Generic spellcaster (arcane) at level 1, Then multi class into Generic Spellcaster (Divine) at level 2, Would my Spells Known be 8x 0lvl & 4x 1st lvl. or 5x 0lvl, & 3x 1St lvl ? Would I be 2 Lvl 1 Generic spell casters, or 1 level 2 generic spell caster ?
And how would Mystic theurge fit into this?
And is Apprentic class available if I would be 2 Lvl 1 Generic casters?

The Goal: To make a Spellcasting Mortal Godling that would put the average Mary Sue to shame. Min/Max on steroids and Chuck Norris level strength cocaine. Including Otyugh hole - Dark Chaos shuffle Elan With 2000+ feats by no later than 3rd level (preferably 1st using a Otyugh hole under a burnt out long forgotten orphanage that allows for 1st level use). Why settle for crazy when you can go ludicrous crazy.

Xervous
2021-05-19, 02:07 PM
Might want to self report to get this into 3.5 section where you’ll get more replies.

KillianHawkeye
2021-05-25, 03:19 PM
You'd follow the normal multiclassing rules and keep your spellcasting from the two classes completely independent from each other. You are not a second level spellcaster, you're a first level arcane spellcaster/first level divine spellcaster.

satorian
2021-05-25, 05:37 PM
Vanilla Mystic Theurge is not normally known as a path to absolute power. It's just a path to having lots of lower level spells than single class casters, who have fewer, higher level spells, and are thus stronger.

Rebel7284
2021-05-25, 11:32 PM
You would keep track of spells known and spells prepared separately, as you would if you took a level of wizard and a level of cleric. As pointed out before, this is a path to mediocrity since higher level spells + class features are almost always better than more low level spells. Just playing a regular Archivist, if allowed, does this better.

If you are committed to Mystic Theurge, you can look at combining Arcane Spellcaster with Ur Priest for a slightly better spell progression, but that still gives up class features.
Something like: Arcane Spellcaster 5/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/<Whatever> 4

Anthrowhale
2021-05-26, 11:54 AM
Normally when you theurge, you access different spell lists. That doesn't apply here since the generic spellcaster can draw from all lists. As a consequence, all that theurging does here is trade off slowed spell access for more spell slots/spells known. In this tradeoff, it's typically better to have quality (i.e. higher level spells) rather than quantity since the bottleneck on capabilities is typically actions (and action quality) rather than spell slots.