PDA

View Full Version : Is this a published creature?

SangoProduction
2021-05-20, 12:27 PM
As you crest the sand dune, off a short ways in the distance, you spot movement.
It is a tall gangly creature with several stick-like, erratically twitching limbs, and various smaller legs below its main body.
The only hint of intentionality to the movement, despite the indecipherable twitching, is how it ends up crawling along the sands.
Then suddenly, it seems to tense up as all movement ceases. You blink, and if you didn't see what it just was, you would swear it was nothing but a regular dead tree.
Now that you think on it... it is kind of strange to have so many dead trees in the desert.

So, we noped right the frack on out of there. Is this based on an actual (not-Mimic) creature, or is this just our DM?

Cygnia
2021-05-20, 12:38 PM
Tumbling Mound from Sandstorm (pg 191) maybe?

Telonius
2021-05-20, 12:39 PM
Sounds a bit like an Ironthorn (from Sandstorm). They're mobile plants that look like twisted shrubs. There's a tumbleweed-like creature called a Tumbling Mound from the same book, as well.

SangoProduction
2021-05-20, 11:54 PM
Yeah, Tumbling Mound seems pretty close, with the leeway to make it an obvious monster to add to the creep factor. Interesting.

Zanos
2021-05-21, 12:33 AM
I like the way your DM describes monsters.

SangoProduction
2021-05-21, 01:19 AM

Me too, thanks.

PraxisVetli
2021-05-25, 02:58 AM

Me too, thanks.

Thirded, really well done.

The only hint of intentionality to the movement, despite the indecipherable twitching, is how it ends up crawling along the sands.
Just excellent wording right there.