PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Oddly Specific Situation?

Mud Puppy
2021-05-21, 01:46 PM
I have a habit of messing around on DnD Beyond and creating weird/interesting characters during lunch or particularly boring meetings at work... I'm sure I'm not the only one...

I stumbled on a combo for a race/ancestry and class combo that has some interesting capabilities and I wanted to ask someone to check this out and see if it's as good as I think it is. I'm pretty new to the idea of optimizing in general and specifically want to learn what to look for to make really good characters.

Building only to level 9 since my current campaign is at level 8. I built a Minotaur Barb3/Fighter6
Rolled stats: S16,D15,C15,I9,W8,Ch13
After racials and ASIs: S20,D15,C17,I9,W8,Ch13

Level progression: Barb 3 and took Bear Totem path, then Fighter 6 with Unarmed Fighting style and Rune Knight (Frost & Stone at level 3), pumped Str for level 4 ASI, took Crusher feat at lvel 6 ASI and pumped Con.

If I read this correctly, between the Minotaur's Goring Rush and Hammering Horns that allow bonus action attacks and shoves, Rage dmg, Unarmed Fighting, and Giant's Might on top of the Crusher feat hopefully giving your party advantage on the next round of attacks.... with extra attack and Action Surge... This guy would be a pretty decent tank I think.

I would think that the next ASI level would be an opportunity to take either Sentinel or Mobile to lock down the battlefield.

What are your thoughts on this? What other optimizations could be done to make this guy more tanky?