PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Warlock 17/Swashbuckler Rogue 3

Reaver
2021-05-22, 10:33 PM
Just wanted to discuss a build I was thinking about and making sure it wasnt too broken either in a munchkin or unusable way.

The idea is a Hexblade Warlock that focuses very much on swordplay and his command of darkness and dim light for engaging enemies, along with teleportation. So he can use naturally occurring darkness, the shadow of moil, darkness, maddening darkness, Relentless Hex, far step and Blink, combined with swashbuckler traits in varying combinations to basically leapfrog around the battlefield and attack, only to dance away or vanish. Enemies theoretically would be unable to hit back in most cases with attacks of opportunity due to Fancy Footwork, and in many cases when they could it would be at disadvantage through the use of Darkness combined with the Warlocks Devils Sight. The hexblade would also benefit from the 2d6 sneak attack that would be added to just about every attack under this application.

Of course, this wouldnt fit every encounter, but it would provide (Theoretically) someone who could say "Go on guys, I'll slow them down and catch up" with a realistic chance of actually being able to do just that. Or who would be able to cause chaos on the back lines of a battlefield to pick off enemy support and casters.

What do you think?

quindraco
2021-05-23, 06:42 AM
Just wanted to discuss a build I was thinking about and making sure it wasnt too broken either in a munchkin or unusable way.

The idea is a Hexblade Warlock that focuses very much on swordplay and his command of darkness and dim light for engaging enemies, along with teleportation. So he can use naturally occurring darkness, the shadow of moil, darkness, maddening darkness, Relentless Hex, far step and Blink, combined with swashbuckler traits in varying combinations to basically leapfrog around the battlefield and attack, only to dance away or vanish. Enemies theoretically would be unable to hit back in most cases with attacks of opportunity due to Fancy Footwork, and in many cases when they could it would be at disadvantage through the use of Darkness combined with the Warlocks Devils Sight. The hexblade would also benefit from the 2d6 sneak attack that would be added to just about every attack under this application.

Of course, this wouldnt fit every encounter, but it would provide (Theoretically) someone who could say "Go on guys, I'll slow them down and catch up" with a realistic chance of actually being able to do just that. Or who would be able to cause chaos on the back lines of a battlefield to pick off enemy support and casters.

What do you think?

Anyone who would suffer disadvantage from Darkness can't take an OA on you, and no-one can take an OA on you with Shadow of Moil up (SoM blocks Truesight and Blindsight - there might be a way to "see" through it, but I don't know of one). Remember, OAs require you to be able to "see" the target.

Why Hexblade? The Genie damage bonus has more obvious synergy with being a Rogue, I think.

Frogreaver
2021-05-23, 09:13 AM

What do you think?

When are you taking the 3 rogue levels?

Reaver
2021-05-23, 09:31 AM
When are you taking the 3 rogue levels?

Probably around hexblade level 5.

Frogreaver
2021-05-23, 09:48 AM
Probably around hexblade level 5.

So you gain 2d6 sneak attack, expertise, cunning action, cha to initiative, and something akin to the mobile feat

You are giving up 3 more spells known, access to dimension door, summon greater demon, the scaling spell level for tasha's summons spells, banishment, shadow of moil etc, 1 invocation, hexblade subclass feature, ASI/Feat - and you are also left a single level away from level 5 spells.

Those seem close enough to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with your path at that level. I think yours is a fairly solid path overall. However, there are some things to consider. For example, I worry that your character at level 11, you will be feeling pretty far behind a single class warlock at character level 11.

Have you considered just using the mobile feat to achieve close to the swashbuckler level of movement?

follacchioso
2021-05-23, 10:59 AM
Have you considered just using the mobile feat to achieve close to the swashbuckler level of movement?Greater Invisibility would also allow to do that, although it is not in the warlock list, you would need to be a Mark of Shadow elf.

Note that Sneak Attack is only one per turn, so even if you have two attacks, it would only apply once.

Reaver
2021-05-23, 11:21 AM
Have you considered just using the mobile feat to achieve close to the swashbuckler level of movement?

Thats the question. I'm a bit torn between this and just straight warlock and taking Mobile in place of an ASI in late game. Flavor wise it would probably be pretty close, I'd just lose out on the sneak attack damage.

Edit: in true endgame at a full 17 warlock/3 rogue, I think the difference compared to full warlock is you missed out on 1 ASI, 1 invocation, 1 spell, and eldritch master. However, you gain fancy footwork, cunning action, rakish audacity, and 2d6 sneak attack damage.