PDA

View Full Version : Globe of Invulnerability and smite spells

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-23, 11:24 AM
A situation came up in last night's game, and I'm curious how others would rule on it.

Enemy has Globe of Invulnerability up. PC (initially outside of the globe's 10' radius) does the following things on his turn (#2 and #3 were in order, #1 wasn't specified exactly, but player said that likely he'd have done it while moving):
1. (Bonus action) casts Banishing Smite (5th level)
2. moves into melee range
3. (action) Takes the Attack action, hitting the enemy with a melee weapon attack.

Possibilities as I see it:
RAW picky ruling: Based on exact wording, the spell was cast outside the Globe and so has no effect.
Lenient ruling 1: The spell was cast outside, but not on the warded target. Since it only had any effect once the caster and target were both in the globe, it happens.
Lenient ruling 2: Specifications of independent actions within a turn can be trivially re-ordered without any change; trying to go deeper than necessary is pointless. Casting the spell doesn't have any restrictions on timing--it could have happened at any point during the move sequence but before the attack. He just as well might have cast it once he entered. So it takes effect.

Lenient ruling 1, roughly. But with lenient ruling 2 in the back of my mind. It was also that particular PC's personal backstory enemy, so it felt more satisfying for him to lay a big smack down on it without nitpicking rules.

Segev
2021-05-23, 11:30 AM
Globe of Invulnerability makes the subject immune to spells below a particular level. Banishing Smite is a spell.

Paladin smite is not a spell, for comparison, even though it uses spell slots.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-23, 11:38 AM
Globe of Invulnerability makes the subject immune to spells below a particular level. Banishing Smite is a spell.

Paladin smite is not a spell, for comparison, even though it uses spell slots.

Specific wording of the spell:

Any spell of 5th Level or lower cast from outside the barrier can't affect creatures or Objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Such a spell can target creatures and Objects within the barrier, but the spell has no Effect on them. Similarly, the area within the barrier is excluded from the areas affected by such Spells.

I read that (and the "such a spell" phrase) as excluding spells cast from outside the sphere. They're not immune to all spells, merely ones cast from outside the barrier. So you can't blast them from across the room, but you can get up in their face and smack them with something if you cast it from inside the sphere.

And note--it's not exclusive to the caster. Any creature or object in the barrier is protected against spells from the outside. So two people in a Globe could cast on each other, but someone outside couldn't cast on either of them.

If it only protected the caster and from all spells, having a 10' radius would be rather weird, among other things. Plus a lot of those words would be surplus.

Amnestic
2021-05-23, 11:54 AM
A situation came up in last night's game, and I'm curious how others would rule on it.

Enemy has Globe of Invulnerability up. PC (initially outside of the globe's 10' radius) does the following things on his turn (#2 and #3 were in order, #1 wasn't specified exactly, but player said that likely he'd have done it while moving):
3. (action) Takes the Attack action, hitting the enemy with a melee weapon attack.

RAW picky ruling: Based on exact wording, the spell was cast outside the Globe and so has no effect.
Lenient ruling 1: The spell was cast outside, but not on the warded target. Since it only had any effect once the caster and target were both in the globe, it happens.
Lenient ruling 2: Specifications of independent actions within a turn can be trivially re-ordered without any change; trying to go deeper than necessary is pointless. Casting the spell doesn't have any restrictions on timing--it could have happened at any point during the move sequence but before the attack. He just as well might have cast it once he entered. So it takes effect.

Lenient ruling 1, roughly. But with lenient ruling 2 in the back of my mind. It was also that particular PC's personal backstory enemy, so it felt more satisfying for him to lay a big smack down on it without nitpicking rules.

Lenient Ruling 1 feels the 'best' to me. While I understand the RAW reading and agree that is what the text says, in the case of weaponbuffs like the smite spells Lenient #1 is just more fun. GoI exists to deflect spells cast from afar, with its large radius allowing people to get in close. A spell that's focused on smacking people up close should work, thematically.

Composer99
2021-05-23, 12:32 PM
I don't think you need a lenient ruling. Banishing smite has a range of Self. If cast by someone outside the globe of invulnerability, it doesn't affect anyone within, so it takes effect normally.

If the target of banishing smite subsequently walks into the area of the globe and whacks someone, well and good.

MaxWilson
2021-05-23, 12:47 PM

Honestly, Lenient #2 (allow trivial reorderings that the PCs would have known to do) is how I do a lot of things, but in this case I'd go with RAW for a number of reasons, one of which is "how would the paladin even know there's a Globe of Invulnerability there, much less the procedure for beating it?" I have learned that the game is much less fun when the DM gives PCs too many solutions un-asked for.

The question after the first Smite fails becomes "does the paladin give up or keep smiting once inside?" If he does THOSE smites work, leaving a minor mystery of why. Especially against a personal nemesis I'd consider the whole experience far too narratively important for the DM to solve for you.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-23, 12:58 PM
Honestly, Lenient #2 (allow trivial reorderings that the PCs would have known to do) is how I do a lot of things, but in this case I'd go with RAW for a number of reasons, one of which is "how would the paladin even know there's a Globe of Invulnerability there, much less the procedure for beating it?" I have learned that the game is much less fun when the DM gives PCs too many solutions un-asked for.

The question after the first Smite fails becomes "does the paladin give up or keep smiting once inside?" If he does THOSE smites work, leaving a minor mystery of why. Especially against a personal nemesis I'd consider the whole experience far too narratively important for the DM to solve for you.

The globe is quite visible (as I see it)--it's a "faintly shimmering barrier".

But Lenient #1 gets around the whole issue, personally. And since I try to error on the side of the player (and of fast play), that's what I went with.

And pedantically, it was a hexblade/fighter, not a paladin.

I don't think you need a lenient ruling. Banishing smite has a range of Self. If cast by someone outside the globe of invulnerability, it doesn't affect anyone within, so it takes effect normally.

If the target of banishing smite subsequently walks into the area of the globe and whacks someone, well and good.

That's basically the core of Lenient #1.

Composer99
2021-05-23, 01:14 PM

That's basically the core of Lenient #1.

Yes, although the wording of Lenient #1 is marginally different, which may or may not matter.

At any rate, what I mean is that banishing smite works by RAW without any leniency required, at least by my reckoning.

MaxWilson
2021-05-23, 02:36 PM
The globe is quite visible (as I see it)--it's a "faintly shimmering barrier".

Yes, but how would he know there's a Globe of Invulnerability there on the shimmering barrier, until he actually crosses the barrier and his Smite spell is affected?

Against a personal nemesis, it's just too narratively important an interaction for me to take the reins and "trivially reorder" his actions for him to solve the problem, unless of course he's encountered such barriers before so I know both the player and the character would "obviously" know the solution already. Otherwise, well, he loses a smite and the villain smiles, pleased that his own action in casting Globe of Invulnerability was not wasted. That's life.

ff7hero
2021-05-23, 08:21 PM
Yes, but how would he know there's a Globe of Invulnerability there on the shimmering barrier, until he actually crosses the barrier and his Smite spell is affected?

Against a personal nemesis, it's just too narratively important an interaction for me to take the reins and "trivially reorder" his actions for him to solve the problem, unless of course he's encountered such barriers before so I know both the player and the character would "obviously" know the solution already. Otherwise, well, he loses a smite and the villain smiles, pleased that his own action in casting Globe of Invulnerability was not wasted. That's life.

That sounds like how I'd expect an AMF to act. With Globe, I'd argue the spell affected it's target (caster) and then nothing about crossing the Globe would dispel it. Would you rule that Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon wouldn't confer theur benefits within a Globe if they were cast while outside it? Could a Bladesinger cast Haste, walk into the Globe and use their Haste attack to Attack the Caster of the Globe?

da newt
2021-05-23, 09:45 PM
The target of the spell is SELF - the caster, therefor the Globe has no impact on the spell at all (RAW it works just fine), and it doesn't matter if the caster knew the Globe was there, or if he cast the smite outside/before or inside.

What you label as Lenient #1 is the actual RAW answer.

OvisCaedo
2021-05-23, 09:58 PM
This general subject is interesting to think on, though. I hadn't ever really considered it before. A cleric standing inside the barrier and casting spirit guardians would have it work normally, but one who cast it outside and then walked in would have it do nothing, yeah?

Amnestic
2021-05-24, 03:38 AM
The target of the spell is SELF - the caster, therefor the Globe has no impact on the spell at all (RAW it works just fine),

I disagree. Spell text, with my emphasis.

An immobile, faintly shimmering barrier springs into existence in a 10-foot radius around you and remains for the Duration.

Any spell of 5th Level or lower cast from outside the barrier can't affect creatures or Objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot. Such a spell can target creatures and Objects within the barrier, but the spell has no Effect on them. Similarly, the area within the barrier is excluded from the areas affected by such Spells.

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 7th level or higher, the barrier blocks Spells of one level higher for each slot level above 6th.

It doesn't matter if it has a range of Self. The smite spell was cast outside the Globe. Therefore, as written, it cannot affect anyone inside the Globe.

ff7hero
2021-05-24, 04:22 AM
I disagree. Spell text, with my emphasis.

It doesn't matter if it has a range of Self. The smite spell was cast outside the Globe. Therefore, as written, it cannot affect anyone inside the Globe.

Would you rule that Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon wouldn't confer theur benefits within a Globe if they were cast while outside it? Could a Bladesinger cast Haste, walk into the Globe and use their Haste attack to Attack the Caster of the Globe?

sithlordnergal
2021-05-24, 04:26 AM
The target of the spell is SELF - the caster, therefor the Globe has no impact on the spell at all (RAW it works just fine), and it doesn't matter if the caster knew the Globe was there, or if he cast the smite outside/before or inside.

What you label as Lenient #1 is the actual RAW answer.

Gonna be a hard disgree. The spell clearly states "Any spell of 5th Level or lower cast from outside the barrier can't affect creatures or Objects within it, even if the spell is cast using a higher level spell slot." Meaning it doesn't matter if the spell has a target of Self or not, tt can't affect anything within the Globe of Invulnerability. Think of it as a slightly weaker Antimagic Field that only stops spells.

Amnestic
2021-05-24, 04:37 AM
Would you rule that Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon wouldn't confer theur benefits within a Globe if they were cast while outside it? Could a Bladesinger cast Haste, walk into the Globe and use their Haste attack to Attack the Caster of the Globe?

If I were going strict RAW? Yes to the first question, no to the second. Other buff spells (such as Bless, Mage Armor, etc.) would also be temporarily suppressed if they passed from outside of the globe into it.

sithlordnergal
2021-05-24, 04:52 AM

Yeah, I'd rule that you wouldn't gain the benefits of Magic Weapon or Elemental Weapon within Globe of Invulnerability if they were cast outside of it. Same with Haste, the effects of Haste would end as soon as you entered that area.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 02:10 PM
Yes, but how would he know there's a Globe of Invulnerability there on the shimmering barrier, until he actually crosses the barrier and his Smite spell is affected? The warlock initially voiced the concern that it was an AMF but went on in and smacked the enemy anyway. :smallwink: I was there, I saw the whole thing. :smallcool:

-----------------------------------

RAW parsing observation: From outside the sphere is different than outside the sphere in that From implies a To. I note a number of poor analysis efforts in this thread that try to treat rules like computer code. Not well played.

Example: if the spell Eldritch Blast was cast from outside the globe to inside the globe, no workee. The smite spell being cast outside the globe goes TO self, not TO what's in the globe.

Phoenix' Ruling was correct if one reads the rules in plain English.

For the player-hosing responses, all I can say is: This is why we can't have nice things.

(And I'll offer a bone here; this could use an elaboration in the SAC)

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-24, 02:15 PM
The warlock initially voiced the concern that it was an AMF but went on in and smacked the enemy anyway. :smallwink: I was there, I saw the whole thing. :smallcool:

-----------------------------------

RAW parsing observation: From outside the sphere is different than outside the sphere in that From implies a To. I note a number of poor analysis efforts in this thread that try to treat rules like computer code. Not well played.

Example: if the spell Eldritch Blast was cast from outside the globe to inside the globe, no workee. The smite spell being cast outside the globe goes TO self, not TO what's in the globe.

Phoenix' Ruling was correct if one reads the rules in plain English.

For the player-hosing responses, all I can say is: This is why we can't have nice things.

(And I'll offer a bone here; this could use an elaboration in the SAC)

Glad to hear you approved. That actually means a fair bit to me--I tend to trust your judgement.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 02:18 PM
Glad to hear you approved. That actually means a fair bit to me--I tend to trust your judgement. You are too kind, sir. :smallsmile:

And, uh, I did screw up with Green Flame Blade, yes? :smallredface:
:smalleek:
I almost got it wrong the other night on 'save during Dominate Person when they take damage' but I did check and we got it right.

(So many spells with fiddly bits, can't play without the PHB to hand ...)

Segev
2021-05-24, 02:25 PM
I could see argument that casts a spell outsiDe it an hen entering would supers the spell, but we really are in DM ruling territory, here.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 02:29 PM
I could see argument that casts a spell outsiDe it an hen entering would supers the spell, but we really are in DM ruling territory, here. True enough.
There's also the point that the Globe isn't AMF. If you want AMF, cast AMF. :smallsmile:

As to AMF, sometimes the dice create an AMF.
The last four sacred flames my Celestial Warlock (different campaign) has cast have been saved against. Might as well have been casting into AMF.
Arrgh!!!! (She gets a boost to radiant damage, and, I don't have agonizing blast)

That spell is incorrectly named. I have the correct name for it. Suck Red Flame. :smallfurious::smallfurious:

animewatcha
2021-05-24, 02:41 PM
Paladin's Diety delay paladin's casting of the smite until the 10 foot mark (just within the globe but outside of melee range of caster). Paladin moves remaining 5 feet and smacks.

Taking advantage of " #1 wasn't specified exactly, but player said that likely he'd have done it while moving" . The casting timing truly wasn't specified and given the '10 feet radius room'. Casting would happen within the barrier. ALL raw is followed. PC gets told OOC that casting spells like this outside of barrier becomes 'nope'd' a la Globe of invulnerability for cases of future. PC gets what they want. DM follows aspect of spell. Everyone is happy.

Remember in 5e, (unlike 3.5e it seems) you can spread out your movement across your turn which shoulda been viable in 3.5e

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 02:50 PM
Paladin's Diety delay paladin's casting of the smite until the 10 foot mark (just within the globe but outside of melee range of caster). Paladin moves remaining 5 feet and smacks.

Taking advantage of " #1 wasn't specified exactly, but player said that likely he'd have done it while moving". The casting timing truly wasn't specified and given the '10 feet radius room'. Casting would happen within the barrier. ALL raw is followed. PC gets told OOC that casting spells like this outside of barrier becomes 'nope'd' a la Globe of invulnerability for cases of future. PC gets what they want. DM follows aspect of spell. Everyone is happy. That's a nice take.

As we were dealing with, in situ, this shimmering glow being up and none of us knowing what it was added some tension to the battle.
I am gald that the DM didn't OOC tell us, in situ "a GoI just went up" - we were up against a tough fight against a spell caster who was hard and none of us had seen that spell before. (I am pretty sure it's not on my Bard's list, will check in a sec). The 'lock player being unsure is I think how it should play out (and it did play out like that).

As another example, a bit later (IIRC, the Globe dropped due to damage/conc issues and failed save) that caster went to cast another spell.
I just said "counterspell."
I had no idea what he was casting. DM said "roll." Lucky me. I rolled a total of 22. Whatever it was (I was afraid of a big damage spell, we'd faced a lich during the previous sessoin) got dispelled. The anxiety, and the tension, of not knowing what it was that I had just countered felt right.
(After the fact we learned that I'd dispelled a teleport that this bad guy was trying to use to get away)

animewatcha
2021-05-24, 03:29 PM
Perfect. Nobody's noes nuzzing. Paladin's deity throws a courtesy and delays the spell until 10 ft. etc. etc. Player's still don't know what it is. BBG is like WTF. Everyone is told OOC outta game. etc. etc. EVERYBODY WINS and RAW is followed.

da newt
2021-05-24, 03:34 PM
"RAW parsing observation: From outside the sphere is different than outside the sphere in that From implies a To." - this is a better wording of what I was trying to state.

Segev
2021-05-24, 03:36 PM
There's also the point that the Globe isn't AMF. If you want AMF, cast AMF. :smallsmile:

Eh...

The whole point of the spell is to make the caster (and anybody else inside the globe) immune to spells under a certain level. The big advantage over AMF is that you can still cast, yourself, including buffs. I do not fault anybody who thinks being immune to smite spells qualifies. Even if they also would say magic weapon still works!

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-24, 03:46 PM
Eh...

The whole point of the spell is to make the caster (and anybody else inside the globe) immune to spells under a certain level. The big advantage over AMF is that you can still cast, yourself, including buffs. I do not fault anybody who thinks being immune to smite spells qualifies. Even if they also would say magic weapon still works!

Except GoI is lower level than AMF. So why is it more powerful (under that reading)?

Edit: on second thought, AMF affects more powerful things. So I guess that's the difference.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 04:17 PM
Except GoI is lower level than AMF. So why is it more powerful (under that reading)?

Edit: on second thought, AMF affects more powerful things. So I guess that's the difference.
like, it unmagics magic weapons that are not artifacts. :smallcool:
Oh, pshaw, why did I go and give a DM ideas? :smalleek:
What is wrong with me? :smallbiggrin:

MaxWilson
2021-05-24, 04:23 PM
The warlock initially voiced the concern that it was an AMF but went on in and smacked the enemy anyway. :smallwink: I was there, I saw the whole thing. :smallcool:

See, that's exactly why I wouldn't want to "trivially reorder" the actions in the player's turn in this case, especially against a personal nemesis. Interacting with a shimmering barrier that turns out NOT to be an anti-magic field (but acts like one on round 1) is part of the play experience. Maybe on round 2 the nemesis casts a spell and the player is now surprised because he thought it WAS an anti-magic zone. Maybe something else happens, but... information gain is a nontrivial aspect of play.

I'm always looking for ways to give players more and better information, but I also want information to be important, and bad guesses to matter. In this case the player guessed just wrong enough to bite them--waiting until they get inside the sphere to cast the spell is the proper tactic for both AMF and Globe of Invulnerability (because in AMF at least it saves you a spell slot to wait).

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-24, 04:37 PM
See, that's exactly why I wouldn't want to "trivially reorder" the actions in the player's turn in this case, especially against a personal nemesis. Interacting with a shimmering barrier that turns out NOT to be an anti-magic field (but acts like one on round 1) is part of the play experience. Maybe on round 2 the nemesis casts a spell and the player is now surprised because he thought it WAS an anti-magic zone. Maybe something else happens, but... information gain is a nontrivial aspect of play.

I'm always looking for ways to give players more and better information, but I also want information to be important, and bad guesses to matter. In this case the player guessed just wrong enough to bite them--waiting until they get inside the sphere to cast the spell is the proper tactic for both AMF and Globe of Invulnerability (because in AMF at least it saves you a spell slot to wait).

In this particular case, his next action was going to be "cast teleport" and scram (after seeing his goons get demolished)[1]. Which would have been (IMO) quite underwhelming both for the fight and for the narrative. Plus since I'm not entirely convinced that the rules even make a distinction here (ie that a smite spell cast outside won't work inside), I went with what was simplest.

[1] the detailed order went
* PC #2 casts Wall of Fire turn 1, blocking off LoS to BBEG.
* BBEG casts GoI, prepares to take action (not wanting to move through right away)
* On next turn, PC #2 gets smacked and loses concentration on WoF.
* Rest of party clobbers goons (including dominating at least one). At this point the BBEG is focusing on getting his own self out of there.
* Before BBEG goes, PC #1 moves in and smacks BBEG real stinking hard, dropping his concentration (DC 35 is a hard no) on GoI. Likely, just being smacked with the regular damage might have been enough, but maybe not.
* BBEG tactically teleports away within the room, signals goons to drop barrier preventing long-range teleporting [2] as well as doing something else. This barrier change won't take place until initiative 20 on the next round.
* BBEG, realizing that he's next, casts teleport. This is counterspelled.
* Party slays him mightily before he gets to act again.

[2] A plot-device thing that puts the region half-way into a different plane, effectively in a giant demi-plane.

MaxWilson
2021-05-24, 07:40 PM
In this particular case, his next action was going to be "cast teleport" and scram (after seeing his goons get demolished)[1]. Which would have been (IMO) quite underwhelming both for the fight and for the narrative. Plus since I'm not entirely convinced that the rules even make a distinction here (ie that a smite spell cast outside won't work inside), I went with what was simplest.

[1] the detailed order went
* PC #2 casts Wall of Fire turn 1, blocking off LoS to BBEG.
* BBEG casts GoI, prepares to take action (not wanting to move through right away)
* On next turn, PC #2 gets smacked and loses concentration on WoF.
* Rest of party clobbers goons (including dominating at least one). At this point the BBEG is focusing on getting his own self out of there.
* Before BBEG goes, PC #1 moves in and smacks BBEG real stinking hard, dropping his concentration (DC 35 is a hard no) on GoI. Likely, just being smacked with the regular damage might have been enough, but maybe not.
* BBEG tactically teleports away within the room, signals goons to drop barrier preventing long-range teleporting [2] as well as doing something else. This barrier change won't take place until initiative 20 on the next round.
* BBEG, realizing that he's next, casts teleport. This is counterspelled.
* Party slays him mightily before he gets to act again.

[2] A plot-device thing that puts the region half-way into a different plane, effectively in a giant demi-plane.

Honestly it sounds like GoI wasn't going to be a factor either way, since the bad guy was getting ready to leave it anyway. All it would have done is save some HP--doesn't look like it would have changed any tactics.

It was pretty dim of the BBEG not to drop the teleportation barrier on round 1 or 2, since "teleport to safety" appears to have been his fallback plan all along. Oh well, BBEGs do stupid things too sometimes.

PhoenixPhyre
2021-05-24, 07:51 PM
Honestly it sounds like GoI wasn't going to be a factor either way, since the bad guy was getting ready to leave it anyway. All it would have done is save some HP--doesn't look like it would have changed any tactics.

It was pretty dim of the BBEG not to drop the teleportation barrier on round 1 or 2, since "teleport to safety" appears to have been his fallback plan all along. Oh well, BBEGs do stupid things too sometimes.

Round 1, he thought he could win. It wasn't until a bit later that he figured out he couldn't.

And dropping the teleport barrier had a bunch of other (undesirable, if he'd won) side effects, so he was trying to avoid that at all costs.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-24, 08:29 PM
Honestly it sounds like GoI wasn't going to be a factor either way, since the bad guy was getting ready to leave it anyway.
That's not how it looked from a character facing perspective. The 'lock did a decent pile of nova damage which forced a save for the GoI. At the same time, our major arcane caster was getting swarmed by skulks. After round 2, we all looked at the situation with a "whoa, did we bit off more than we can chew?" view since one of the NPC monk sorts schwacked my bard, which killed concentration (gaaah, missed by 1) which dropped the dominate on the other monk who I'd told to go and beat the tar out of that caster. Well, that failed.

It was pretty dim of the BBEG not to drop the teleportation barrier on round 1 or 2, since "teleport to safety" appears to have been his fallback plan all along. Oh well, BBEGs do stupid things too sometimes. Until his GoI dropped, I suspect that his position was "I got these idiots" (my bard ended up with single digit HP in two rounds of taking face shots from monks)

I can't recall if it was round 3 or 4 where we felt that the tide had turned when the Halfling finished off the shadow dancer ... my counterspell was a very lucky success. I was needing to make a 17. Had I blown that he'd have been like "Adios, muchachos!" and we'd have to deal with him again at some time in the future.
Save or suck: it's a thing. :smallcool: