PDA

View Full Version : bunch of questions (pricing and rules)

Thac0 Redeye
2021-05-23, 12:06 PM
Just a couple of question for my barbarian charging character.

1. How would the formula be to add charges to a magic item? For example, the Anklets of Translocation (MIC pg71). It has 2 charges per day for 1400gp. What would be the up charge to have 3 per day? What would the formula be so I can apply that to any other item?

2. Would the leap attack feat give you a +1 to attack because of higher ground?

3. I found the “fleet of foot” feat from complete warrior pg99 that gives a 90deg change in direction during a charge. But it has the run feat as a Prq. Is there perhaps another feat or ACF that allows the change in direction without a Prq?

4. I have pounce and knockback. If I charge 2 enemies next to each other, can I hit one and knockback then hit the other with my second attack and knockback him too?

5. I wanted to put a feat into a magic item. The only way I found was using the spell heroics, which when using the rules in DMG costs 18000 gp. I saw a post on here somewhere, it mentioned a rule in A+EG that priced a feat into an item as only 10000 gp plus another 10k per prq. So getting an item with power attack is 10k and an item with cleave would be 20k. I couldn’t find it in my book. What page is it on? Or does it not exist?

Thanks

mattie_p
2021-05-23, 12:20 PM
Regarding #3, Twisted Charge skill trick from Complete Scoundrel costs you 2 skill points to learn, requires 5 ranks in balance and tumble which you probably want anyway, and allows this 1/encounter.

Lilapop
2021-05-23, 12:51 PM
1: Item prices in MIC are eyeballed and adjusted to the level where that effect should be available though items. If it WAS calculated, it would be an even split - a 3/day Anklet would be 2100 gp.

2: You don't have to highjump for Leap Attack. And you probably don't want to do that, as highjump DCs are significantly higher. If basic highjumping can give you the high ground bonus, I don't know.

3: In addition to the skill trick already mentioned, the Streetfighter ACF in the Cityscape WE allows another direction change.

5: Sidebar on page 128.

Learn34
2021-05-23, 01:25 PM

Not in-and-of itself. For High-ground to trigger you'd need more elevation than Leap Attack's minimum requisite 2.5' (JumpDC10/4). If you jumped from above the enemy, ?or made a high-jump? you'd get the high-ground bonus.

3. I found the “fleet of foot” feat from complete warrior pg99 that gives a 90deg change in direction during a charge. But it has the run feat as a Prq. Is there perhaps another feat or ACF that allows the change in direction without a Prq?

Twisted Charge skill trick from Complete Scoundrel. Like all skill tricks, it's only usable once per encounter.

4. I have pounce and knockback. If I charge 2 enemies next to each other, can I hit one and knockback then hit the other with my second attack and knockback him too?

Yes. The standard reading of SLT Barb's Pounce (while technically incorrect) is that all of the attacks in the Full Attack it grants get all the bonuses attendant a charge. If you/your DM follows the technically correct reading, then you'd only have 1 attack that gets the Charge bonuses, and then a full attack after top of that.

Crazysaneman
2021-05-23, 01:49 PM
Just a couple of question for my barbarian charging character.

1. How would the formula be to add charges to a magic item? For example, the Anklets of Translocation (MIC pg71). It has 2 charges per day for 1400gp. What would be the up charge to have 3 per day? What would the formula be so I can apply that to any other item?

5. I wanted to put a feat into a magic item. The only way I found was using the spell heroics, which when using the rules in DMG costs 18000 gp. I saw a post on here somewhere, it mentioned a rule in A+EG that priced a feat into an item as only 10000 gp plus another 10k per prq. So getting an item with power attack is 10k and an item with cleave would be 20k. I couldn’t find it in my book. What page is it on? Or does it not exist?

Thanks

1. The formula to create an item with charges depends on if you are using a command word or not. You have to calculate the cost of the item as one of these two then apply another formula. The complete formula is: (Spell Level x Casterlevel x (either 1800 for command word or 2000 for continuous or use-activated) x uses per day/5). DMG page 285 table 7-33. However, the DMG and Magic Item Compendium both say that this is just a guideline.

That said, Anklets of Translocation seem INCREDIBLY UNDERCOSTED. I don't understand much about MIC though, so it could be something in that book that makes it unique.
7th level caster x 4th level spell * Command Word 1800 * 2 charges /5 = 20,160GP
The thing about this item that seems to justify the cost is the added restrictions to the dimension door effect. A mere 10 feet of movement that can only effect you are some pretty hefty restrictions. I can't find any information on value DECREASES based on limiting the effects of the item aside from requiring a certain skill, class, or alignment. If anyone has that information, hit me up with where to find it.

All of that said, I would just take the cost of crafting the Anklets of Translocation, divide it by the number of charges, then multiply it by the number of charges you want and divide by two if you are making it yourself.

EG 700 base price / 2 charges = 350GP per charge. 350 x 3 charges = 1050GP crafting cost or 2100GP market value.

2. No. The feat is NOT required to get a +1 to attack for having the high ground Obi-Wan. That is a given. You can find this in the PHB page 151 table 8-5.

3. mattie_p covered this, and it's the only way I know of to do this.

4. Yes, provided you are Power Attacking and provided you hit. Knockback specifically says "If you score a hit while you are using the Power Attack feat, you can make a free bull rush attempt against the foe you hit..."

5. There is a section in A+EG that has feats provided by INTELLIGENT ITEMS with a market value of 10,000GP. Page 139 table 6-2. In the PHB the Dark Blue Rhomboid Ioun Stone grants Alertness and costs 10,000GP. Here is a GitP thread with items and magical locations that grant feats https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?400840-List-of-Feat-Granting-Items-Locations-Grafts