PDA

View Full Version : Aegis/Zealot Question

kalos72
2021-05-23, 02:03 PM
Since Aegis nor Zealot have a power list but have power points. can I actually give them powers via Chirurgery or Expanded Knowledge?

Though here is give them Bestow Power to share PP.

Also, does Schism have the ability to use a magic item the host has?

Rynjin
2021-05-24, 05:53 AM
The issue is that neither have a Manifester Level, so even if you could grant them Powers known (and by RAW Psychic Chirurgery would work, though Expanded Knowledge requires Manifester Level 3) they can't manifest them, since they don't meet the minimum ML to do so even for level 1 Powers.

Using a magic item is not a purely mental action, so Schism's second mind would not be able to do that.

kalos72
2021-05-24, 01:07 PM
Thank you for the reply, I was wondering if I was in "reply time out" or something. :P

What you are saying about ML makes sense, even if I dont like it. I mean how call the class psionic when you cant do anything psionic?

Would house ruling them a ML at half class level be a bad thing? Neither have alot of PP to play with to begin with...

As to Schism, if I have a magic ring that provides Affinity Field, what's needed to "activate" beyond a desire to do so? There isn't a verbal command or some sort of physical one typically is there?

Gnaeus
2021-05-24, 01:40 PM
The aegis can access shards and power stones using power points from class abilities.

The zealot has lots of things it can do with pp that just don’t happen to be powers. Sleeping goddess is a specifically psionic discipline

And of course you could always multiclass with a manifesting class and use your points on their powers.

As to whether buffing them is a bad thing, I wouldn’t. The DSP classes are pretty strong out of the box, and those two are no exception. But classes are over or underpowered compared with SOMETHING ELSE so if you are expecting something like high op casters it could make sense.

kalos72
2021-05-24, 02:32 PM
Our game is a high octane epic level psionic game so...its not alot imho and helps make them more "psionic" then just in title. I dont see increasing their PP though...

Along the same lines, does a Vitalists ability to heal through the Collective replace the benefit of healing through Affinity Field? I am thinking yes because the healing is shared but the dmg isnt...

We have talked about improving the Collective idea and making it sort of a Network descriptor replacement...allowing most powers to work though the Collective. Or a benefit of our military order, limiting the usage to just the military or membership of a churhc/cult type thing.

StSword
2021-05-24, 04:50 PM
You might want to look at Distant Horizon's Paths of Power, which is actually free shareware on drivethrurpg.

Do you remember path magic from dnd 2?

Paths of power is inspired by that- instead of spells being distinct individual things, spells are organized by paths, so knowing the first level spell leads to knowing the 9th level spell as you level up.

Paths of power expands that concept to making the paths feats available to anyone.

I mention this because it also includes psionics.

It sounds like your game might appreciate the option to make psionic powers available to anyone no matter their class.

kalos72
2021-05-31, 02:21 PM
Nice call there. I had the book just never read it...thanks.

I can see an Avanti Kingdom path that would give these guys the powers we are talking about or something. I LOVE it. :)

Most of these buffs would be to people in our PC's military so we can tie it back to being a member of the military or even a rank perhaps.