PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A [3.5] Power to Spell

Thurbane
2021-05-23, 10:57 PM
So, I know Spell to Power Erudite exists, but is there any RAW method for the reverse?

Is there any way to convert specific powers into arcane or divine spells, other that outright homebrew?

Say I am a non-psionic single classed Archivist or Wizard. I want Death Urge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/deathUrge.htm) and Form of Doom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/formofDoom.htm) as spells.

I'm trying to nail down my RAW options (and by RAW, let's assume this would be for an Iron Chef entry to avoid any confusion).

Researching custom spells is firmly in the purview of the DM to approve or disapprove, and I'm trying to avoid that if possible.
I could get the powers in an item and Use Psionic Device, but that isn't the same as "casting" them myself.
I think there is a spell that gives you a temporary power point reserve, but again, not really the same as casting them as spells from memory?

Short of outright house-ruling, or just trying to find "near enough" existing spells, is there any options I've missed?

Cheers - T

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-23, 11:04 PM
I'm sure Limited Wish could do a Death Urge, but you may need Wish or Miracle to replicate Form of Doom.

Maybe if you find a race or template that can get those as psi-like abilities?

Rebel7284
2021-05-23, 11:11 PM
Chameleon Crafting [Dragon #349] will allow you to make magic items with psionic powers in them. However, getting them actually memorized is quite a bit harder since they aren't on the spell list of any magic class. You could argue that if a Cleric/Psion makes a scroll of a power, an achivist could learn it since it's a "divine scroll"?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-23, 11:28 PM
Chameleon Crafting [Dragon #349] will allow you to make magic items with psionic powers in them. However, getting them actually memorized is quite a bit harder since they aren't on the spell list of any magic class. You could argue that if a Cleric/Psion makes a scroll of a power, an achivist could learn it since it's a "divine scroll"?

If it will work on making a Runestaff (MIC p224), we're in business!

Anthrowhale
2021-05-24, 09:34 AM
I don't know how to convert into a spell, but spellcasters can manifest the effect.

Step 1: Spellcaster casts (persistent) Mental Pinnacle.
Step 2: Telepath uses Psychic Chirurgery to give them access to the power.
Step 3: Spellcaster manifests power.

sreservoir
2021-05-24, 03:44 PM
If it will work on making a Runestaff (MIC p224), we're in business!

Pretty hard to use, though, since runestaves require the spell to be on your class list.

MaxiDuRaritry
2021-05-24, 03:58 PM
You could put a power into an eternal wand. Any arcane class can use it.

If you can take the Loyalty's Reward feat, from Kingdoms of Kalamar, you could use it to grant yourself (and your followers) the ability to learn powers-as-spells from power stones and similar sources.

Zanos
2021-05-24, 04:09 PM
Chameleon Crafter crates a divine scroll of a power.
An archivist scribes this spell into his prayerbook.
Wizard learns the spell via Dragonblood Spell Pact.

ShurikVch
2021-05-24, 04:13 PM
If Spellhoarding Dragon will be able to use Spellcatching on the power, then they would add the power to their Spell Hoard as arcane spell

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-24, 04:14 PM
Pretty hard to use, though, since runestaves require the spell to be on your class list.

You can UMD it, only takes a DC 21 to emulate a 1st level class feature, i.e. class spell/power list.

Rebel7284
2021-05-24, 04:37 PM
After looking at other potential rules raw ways of casting spells, it looks like Chameleon still needs the spells to be on an arcane/divine class list and Eldritch Master doesn't really work with scrolls, so Archivist seems like the most straightforward of way of doing this. If the archivist can then somehow convert the power to a spontaneous spell, Dragonblood Spell-pact can get it to other spontaneous casters.

Zanos
2021-05-24, 04:38 PM
After looking at other potential rules raw ways of casting spells, it looks like Chameleon still needs the spells to be on an arcane/divine class list and Eldritch Master doesn't really work with scrolls, so Archivist seems like the most straightforward of way of doing this. If the archivist can then somehow convert the power to a spontaneous spell, Dragonblood Spell-pact can get it to all other spontaneous casters.
Dragonblood Spell-pact does not require that the spells be spontaneous.

Rebel7284
2021-05-24, 04:45 PM
Dragonblood Spell-pact does not require that the spells be spontaneous.

Ah, true that. Knowing spells is a little weird since that can change the moment someone steals you spellbook/prayerbook, but technically prepared casters must still have spells known otherwise things like Alacritous Cogitation won't work. D&D is strange. :smallsmile:

Thurbane
2021-05-24, 05:23 PM
So looks like the most promising methods (Chameleon Crafting, Spellhoarding template) both involve Dragon magazine material. :smallfrown:

I don't count Loyalty's Gift, because it isn't official WoTC, and is so poorly written as to be a "here players, spend a feat to ask your DM to look at your homebrew" request. If I was going down that road, I would just use the spell research guidelines, far less messy.

ShurikVch
2021-05-24, 05:47 PM
There is a possible method for the Death Urge: since it's Telepathy -

Spell Use (Sp): Divine ruby disciples gain access to the Telepathy psionic discipline as clerical spells starting at 1st level. They can select psionic powers from the Telepathy discipline to replace normally granted spells per day. They must meet the normal Charisma requirements to cast these powers. For example, a divine ruby disciple would need a Charisma of 16 to cast a 6th-level telepathic psionic power.
The Ruby Disciple (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124c)

Thurbane
2021-05-24, 06:04 PM
There is a possible method for the Death Urge: since it's Telepathy -

The Ruby Disciple (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030124c)

That's a nice find; once the Cleric makes it a scroll, the Acrhivist can access it.