PDA

View Full Version : [Creature] Terror Whelp

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 01:04 PM
Well this was my entry for the NotCon creature contest, so I might as well post it here. What do you think?

Terror Whelp

Tiny Fey (Evil)
Hit Dice: 4d6+3 (19 hp)
Initiative: +11
Speed: fly 20ft (perfect) (4 squares)
Armor Class: 24, touch 19, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-11
Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d2-5)
Full Attack: Slam +4 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
Special Attacks: Touch of Fear, Nightmare Ray
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, blindsight 60ft, telepathy 60ft, damage reduction 5/good, Form of Fear, Create Spawn
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +11, Will +4
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 24, Con 10, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +13, Intimidate +13, Move Silently +15
Feats: Improved Initiative, Toughness
Environment: Urban
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: NE
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Tiny) 9-10 (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

Terror Whelps are tiny spirits of the nightmares and fears of mortals congealed by stray evil forces. This blobs of fear lurk where it is most common in the slums and dungeons of various cities. Terror Whelps feed off fear and nightmares and fertilizer their prey with their Nightmare Ray abilities. Terror Whelps avoid large groups, preferring to hunt alone. They have little contact among their kind except when a powerful Terror Whelp consumes another to gain more territory.

Combat
A Terror Whelp prefers to sneak up on its prey while they are asleep, feeding their nightmares and drawing out their fear in safety. However, if confronted with an opponent, a Terror Whelp fights until death using its Touch of Fear ability until the enemy is unconscious then using its Nightmare Ray to finish off its victim. If, however, the enemy proves too tough and resists the Terror Whelp's Touch of Fear, it will retreat and attack with its Nightmare Ray from afar.

Touch of Fear (Su): A Terror Whelp's main attack is its fear-causing touch, a Terror Whelp may make a touch attack against a target who must make a DC17 will save or become shaken, the will save DC is charisma based. A target who already has the shaken condition is frightened and a target who already has the frightened condition is panicked and a target who has the panicked condition becomes unconscious. In addition to cause the latter conditions, a Terror Whelp gains 2 temporary hit points with each successful use of this ability. A Terror Whelp may use its dexterity modifier instead of its strength modifier for this touch attack.

Nightmare Ray (Su): A Terror Whelp's most powerful weapon is a ray of pure fear energies tainted with evil that slowly drives its victims insane and transforming them into pure fear. Upon a successful ranged touch attack with a range of 60ft, the target must make a DC17 will save or take 1d2 points of wisdom drain, the will save DC is charisma based. Upon a successful use of this ability, a Terror Whelp gains 6 temporary hit points per point of wisdom drain.

Form of Fear (Su): A Terror Whelps greatest defense is the fact that no creature actually sees a Terror Whelp in its true form. When a creature sees a Terror Whelp or a Terror Whelp makes telepathic contact with a creature, it instead sees the thing of its deepest and darkest nightmares. A creature must make a DC17 will save or become panicked, on a successful save the creature is shaken. In addition to becoming panicked, a creature who fails their save against this effect loses 1d4 hit points each round and the Terror Whelp gains that many temporary hit points. A creature who failed their save may make a new save each round at the same DC +1 per previous save.

Create Spawn (Su): Whenever a creature is drained to less than or equal to 0 wisdom by a Terror Whelps Nightmare Ray that creature becomes one or more Terror Whelps in 1d4+1 rounds. The number of Terror Whelps created is based on the creatures original wisdom score. One Terror Whelp is created plus one extra for every 5 points of wisdom above 10. Thus a creature with a wisdom of 15 creates two Terror Whelps. Additionally, if a Terror Whelp gains temporay hp equal to or greater to its original hit points, it splits into two Terror Whelps. The new Terror Whelp has full hp, no matter what the total hp was at the split, the original Terror Whelp retains all status conditions and retains any leftover hp (i.e. a Terror Whelp with 20 temporary hit points creates another Terror Whelp with 19 hp and the original retains 1 temporary hit point).

Mr. Moogle
2007-11-12, 01:22 PM
It seems like a solid creature but i think CR 8 is a tad high.

Lord Tataraus
2007-11-12, 01:58 PM
It seems like a solid creature but i think CR 8 is a tad high.

I'm not too good at estimating CR, do you think 7 is better or maybe 6?

Sam Panda
2007-11-12, 02:41 PM
I would say probably 5, but I'm no expert either hehe.