PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ideas for a MacGyver styled mult-weapon build?

Fairy
2021-05-24, 10:15 AM
Prelude: So I'm re-running Dark Souls for the XXXth like all the cool kids do, and I've been playing a character who - every time he finds a new weapon, is obliged to pick it up and use it in the next fight. I've often tried this in video games, but it never crossed my mind to apply the philosophy to tabletop.
However in the near future I'll be playing a guest character for a few weeks on a lvl 3 campaign, and so I figured 'why not try something a bit unique'.

--------------

So my character will oblige himself to constantly swap weapons and weapon-types; he'll pick up and use whatever he finds on the ground. At the most basic level I was considering just playing a fighter with a mix of DEX and STR, and just picking up new weapons as I go along. However I wonder if anyone here might be interested in this kind of concept, and might have a fun idea of how I could get this to work mechanically.
Maybe a hexblade could also suit this? With their smites and defensive spells they could be fairly self-sufficient in terms of damage and defense regardless of what equipment their actually using.

Another idea would be to somehow get mending in my kit and try to work with the DM to just constantly make improvised weapons, and go full-on MacGyver style.

I'm mostly bringing this question here for fun so I'm open to any discussion on it, although practically speaking I'm very unlikely to play either a bard or paladin. Another new guest character will be a bard and my last character was a paladin and we have some overlapping players between this campaign and the last.

Thanks for the input!

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-24, 10:22 AM
Maybe it's just me, but this kinda called to me as a maximum-Battlemaster. Variant Human for Martial Adept. Fighting Style as Superior Technique. Start with 3 extra maneuvers, 2 extra superiority dice, and just adapt around whatever item you last picked up.

You'd probably want maneuvers that worked in a variety of situations, so things like Goading Strike, Trip Attack and Brace would all be useful. Could even get Quick Toss in the event that you decide to chuck a cup or something.

As a DM, I'd allow you to replace your Artisan's Tool proficiency from Battlemaster with proficiency in improvised weapons, since it seems like it'd add more to your theme/game and wouldn't make you any more powerful.

Fairy
2021-05-24, 10:39 AM
Maybe it's just me, but this kinda called to me as a maximum-Battlemaster. Variant Human for Martial Adept. Fighting Style as Superior Technique. Start with 3 extra maneuvers, 2 extra superiority dice, and just adapt around whatever item you last picked up.

You'd probably want maneuvers that worked in a variety of situations, so things like Goading Strike, Trip Attack and Brace would all be useful. Could even get Quick Toss in the event that you decide to chuck a cup or something.

As a DM, I'd allow you to replace your Artisan's Tool proficiency from Battlemaster with proficiency in improvised weapons, since it seems like it'd add more to your theme/game and wouldn't make you any more powerful.

Where has this class been all my life? It's so perfect. I always thought fighters were boring.

Grod_The_Giant
2021-05-24, 10:57 AM
Maybe a Battle Smith Artificer? Enhanced Weapon + Battle Ready lets you pick up any weapon and use your Intelligence score for attack and damage, which reduces the need to invest in two major ability scores, and infusions like Repeating Shot and Repulsion Shield could help replicate the "every weapon means a new set of special moves" aspect of constantly switching weapons in Dark Souls. As a bonus, you also get Mending for improvised weapons.

Fairy
2021-05-24, 11:43 AM
Maybe a Battle Smith Artificer? Enhanced Weapon + Battle Ready lets you pick up any weapon and use your Intelligence score for attack and damage, which reduces the need to invest in two major ability scores, and infusions like Repeating Shot and Repulsion Shield could help replicate the "every weapon means a new set of special moves" aspect of constantly switching weapons in Dark Souls. As a bonus, you also get Mending for improvised weapons.

For what I'll be playing I think I've been won over by the battlemaster with max maneuvers idea (I was easily swayed...), but yeah nice idea with the battle smith artificer, particularly considering they can reflavour their fighting style with infusions. I'll take notes for future characters!

Evaar
2021-05-24, 12:15 PM
For what I'll be playing I think I've been won over by the battlemaster with max maneuvers idea (I was easily swayed...), but yeah nice idea with the battle smith artificer, particularly considering they can reflavour their fighting style with infusions. I'll take notes for future characters!

I also was going to say Battlesmith Artificer. Another note about that - at higher levels you can ignore any class/race/etc restrictions on magic items. So my human battlesmith is using a dwarven thrower, you can use a holy avenger, whatever.

If you want a character who can pick up and make use of any weapon they find, it's going to be a Battlesmith.

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-24, 12:59 PM
It is worth noting that the Battle Smith can only use their Intelligence on a magic weapon, and infusions can only be assigned as a long rest.

Combined, this means that you could only use a single weapon per each Long Rest, unless you were infusing multiple weapons to swap from each day (and spending a premium on your infusion slots to do so), or just had so many magic weapons that you didn't need them.

stoutstien
2021-05-24, 01:26 PM
It is worth noting that the Battle Smith can only use their Intelligence on a magic weapon, and infusions can only be assigned as a long rest.

Combined, this means that you could only use a single weapon per each Long Rest, unless you were infusing multiple weapons to swap from each day (and spending a premium on your infusion slots to do so), or just had so many magic weapons that you didn't need them.

If ERFLW is in play the making dragonmark is good to address this. Having a pocket magic weapon spell that doesn't take Concentration can tie you over until you build up your armory of magical weapons.

ZRN
2021-05-24, 02:08 PM

I feel like the Tavern Brawler feat might be important, particularly if the DM won't give you free proficiency in improvised weapons.

Fairy
2021-05-24, 02:21 PM
I feel like the Tavern Brawler feat might be important, particularly if the DM won't give you free proficiency in improvised weapons.

I actually ended up taking Tavern Brawler! As well as the maneuvers brace, quick toss, riposte, trip attack, disarming attack, and maneuvering attack. I spoke with the DM about a variety of ways I can used improvised weapons as well, and maybe make a few of my own. Should be a fun character!

Man_Over_Game
2021-05-24, 02:23 PM
I actually ended up taking Tavern Brawler! As well as the maneuvers brace, quick toss, riposte, trip attack, disarming attack, and maneuvering attack. I spoke with the DM about a variety of ways I can used improvised weapons as well, and maybe make a few of my own. Should be a fun character!

I kinda love the idea of throwing a cup at their sword to disarm them as I followup with a jumping knee-to-the-face and then pin them so they can't pick their weapon back up.

Unoriginal
2021-05-24, 02:26 PM
I hope you get the chance to grab and use your enemies' weapons, including the weird ones.

I actually ended up taking Tavern Brawler!

Tavern Brawler can also fit the Dark Souls punching methods.

Fairy
2021-05-24, 02:34 PM
I kinda love the idea of throwing a cup at their sword to disarm them as I followup with a jumping knee-to-the-face and then pin them so they can't pick their weapon back up.

All in one beautiful action surge...

Unoriginal
2021-05-24, 02:51 PM
All in one beautiful action surge...

With Tavern Brawler you don't even need Action Surge.

Ogun
2021-05-24, 03:09 PM
Can confirm Tavern Brawler is hella fun.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2021-05-24, 10:18 PM
This thread has made me decide my next fighter will be Riddick, killing people with teacups and their own weapons.

Mjolnirbear
2021-05-26, 09:03 PM
I did an ancients barbarian with tavern Brawler.

Think Abuela from Coco. Her shoe and cane are improvised weapons, and the bonus grapple is her snagging your ear and dragging you along with it. Everyone on the ofrenda is one of the protective ancestors, and her shawl was the protective Ancestors ability.

She was the best non-caster I ever played, and even compared to casters she easily makes my top three most fave.