PDA

View Full Version : Making an Intelligent Dancing Scimitar NPC

eyebreaker7
2021-05-24, 12:34 PM
'm making an intelligent dancing scimitar that acts as an NPC. It can dance/fly indefinitely and obviously has a "mind of it's own". It's going to be a maxed out item as the party levels. Meaning it has two 19's and a 10 for mental stats and has the powers and abilities that go with it. Not sure how to make it progress in “magic level” or intelligent item granted powers.

1: What should it be made out of? Living Metal “In addition, an item made of living metal naturally repairs damage to itself, healing 1 hit point per minute. It cannot repair itself if brought to 0 hit points or destroyed (such as through disintegration). Living metal weighs the same as steel, has hardness 12, and has 30 hit points per inch of thickness.”
So if the item is a scimitar then it's only considered 1 inch thick right with regard to figuring HP and hardness? Or is there some formula for figuring it otherwise since the blade isn't even half an inch thick? Or am I looking at it totally wrong?

2: How would you figure it's other stats? HPs? AC? etc.
2a: I'm thinking animated construct? Small or medium if so? Small seem like it would be too weak but it's a standard size scimitar like a medium sized character would wield.
2b: or like an ioun stone? “Ioun stones have AC 24, 10 hit points, and hardness 5.”
2c: or maybe like a Warforged race from Eberron?

3: It has nothing to do with Drizzt. lol. It's modeled after one of my favorite MTG cards.

4: Which "mental" stats should be the 19's? Should one even be Intelligence since it's considered an "intelligent item"? It sees itself as better/smarter than most others (which it is) but isn't super egotistical about it. Maybe it would be a Int & Wis 19 and Cha 10 for lacking in personality?

5: How could I have it "gain it's powers" and level like a normal npc? Say it "starts" at 5th level and progresses like a normal npc would. It's going to be powerful in higher levels but not to powerful to begin with. Scaled with the party so it's not a power issue. It's gaining it's powers and enhancement bonuses (+1 to +5?). Maybe something like a Soulknife class progression?

6: Side question kinda, I read a post on here from a couple years back that said a rust monster can't destroy magical items? I think it was for 5th edition, not sure. If rust monsters can't eat magical items then they really aren't much of a threat except for very low levels. They should be feared like the cartoon pic in the 1st edition DMG shows, with the warrior jumped up into the wizards arms like a crying child because there's a rust monster. Also if rust monsters CAN'T destroy magic items I really goofed a long time ago. One of my players literally lost a vorpal blade to a rust monster. A natural 1 is doom! There were almost tears by all.
6a: How do Warforged fair vs. rust monsters?

7: Is this a bad idea to begin with? I wanna make something “a little different”.

I'm viewing this as me being the DM but as always I prefer feedback/input for the sake of “balance” and all that. I don't actually have a group to play with but I'm prepping in hopes that I will, as you can probably tell with all my questions.

Elves
2021-05-24, 06:49 PM
Are the players supposed to wield it?

As a real DM creating something for a real game, just write what you need, the existing material is only useful to you insofar as it makes things easier. I'd go for an intelligent Small construct with a fly speed, good BAB and the dervish's dervish dance ability, or have it actually take levels in dervish etc.

You might write its ability progression out like a legacy weapon. Has the ability to voluntarily let itself be wielded, but can't act on its own in the same round as someone makes an attack with it. Add a rule for someone being able to forcefully attack with it while having it pinned.

Or instead of having HD it could be an intelligent dancing weapon that is able to dance indefinitely, move with a fly speed, and supply its own attack bonus in lieu of a wielder. Either way works.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-24, 07:55 PM
Are the players supposed to wield it?

As a real DM creating something for a real game, just write what you need, the existing material is only useful to you insofar as it makes things easier. I'd go for an intelligent Small construct with a fly speed, good BAB and the dervish's dervish dance ability, or have it actually take levels in dervish etc.

You might write its ability progression out like a legacy weapon. Has the ability to voluntarily let itself be wielded, but can't act on its own in the same round as someone makes an attack with it. Add a rule for someone being able to forcefully attack with it while having it pinned.

Or instead of having HD it could be an intelligent dancing weapon that is able to dance indefinitely, move with a fly speed, and supply its own attack bonus in lieu of a wielder. Either way works.

The scimitar is it's own entity, it is not to be wielded without great reason, maybe to be sheathed for a party/gala/ball/gathering, etc. and it better be a nice looking sheath too! otherwise it's a hands off deal.
I definitely like the Dervish idea. Fit's real well.

Dalmosh
2021-05-24, 09:01 PM
If you wanted it to level like a PC, the default rules-friendly option would be to have it possessed by a Fiend of Possession.

Gruftzwerg
2021-05-24, 10:28 PM
Imho the easiest solution would be a cohort from the Leadership feat. It will level alongside the PC who has the feat (up to a max of 2 lvls below the leader).

suggestions for the build:

We'll use Monk/Swordsage to get the Monk's Unarmed Strike ability ( to enchant your body either as manufactured or natural weapon). Fighter will be used to enter Kensai as early as possible.

E.g. : Fighter 4 / Swordsage 2/Kensai 2+ (to start the combo)

Pick Swordsage at 5th and 6th lvl to have access from more maneuvers to choose from (due to higher Initiator level).
This leads to a minimum lvl of 8 for the cohort. Which means, the leader needs to be a minimum of 10th lvl.

Kensai will pick his unarmed strike as signature weapon. With the 2nd Kensai lvl the cohort will add "Morphing" to his unarmed strike (= entire body). Now the cohort can morph into any weapon the leader wishes for. With each additional Kensai level the cohort can add more abilities or just plain enhancement bonuses.

While the combo comes online late/midway (10th lvl), it basically does what you are looking for I guess.

If you are looking for extra cheese, take a Changeling as race for the cohort and let it dip a single level into Warshaper to obtain the "Morphic Weapons" ability. Now the cohort can now grow Natural Weapons while being in weapon form to attack itself (while timing its actions/initiative with his leader). The list of Natural Weapons (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?286497-101-Natural-Weapons)is very powerful, so be careful with this/these options. You can squeeze the Warshaper level into the 5th level , leaving only a single level dip into swordsage ( Fighter 4 / Warshaper 1 / Swordsage 1 / Kensai 2+).

SangoProduction
2021-05-24, 11:22 PM
Well, I've got good news for you. Spheres of Power has precisely what you need, if you are looking for PC-style level progression.

http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/spirit-blade

Either fluff the "human form" as actually just you flying around (at ground level, but that's flying for a weapon), wielding yourself, or take the Permanent Weapon Form Alternate Rule, and take Telekinesis sphere, only targeting yourself to be able to fly.

unseenmage
2021-05-25, 03:30 PM
Making it a Weapon of Legacy from the book of the same name could give you that, it levels as they level effect too.

Alternatively, give it an actual creature as an alternate form.
If an intelligent magic item is combined with a Figurine of Wondrous Power via the MIC adding effects to magic items rules then your Animated sword could have a neat animal other form it can occasionally take.

Another alternative is building it into an existing Construct at creation. Brass Golems, Caryatid Columns, and Dedicated Wright Homunculus all have a weapon built into them.

IIRC the Brass Golem entry is the one that tells us Constructs with built jn weapons can be built with those weapons being enchanted so long as such happens at creation. Though the later printed MIC item combining/improving rules probably overwrite that limitation.

If the weapon is intelligent and the Construct isn't then the weapon will always win its Ego score fight to be in the driver's seat too.