PDA

View Full Version : Nautical utility cantrip - balance help!

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-24, 01:39 PM
I'm designing a cantrip for a nautical campaign. Just need a little feedback on:

1. The balance issues - I want it at the general power level of the other utility cantrips like Thaumaturgy & Prestidigitation;

2. Any sailing-appropriate themed additions or substitutions you can suggest, without greatly raising the power level of the spell (unless you find it truly lacking); and

3. Any thoughts about whether you, as a player would take such a cantrip over the standard utility options?

SEACRAFT

Transmutation cantrip

Casting Time: 1 action

Range: 30 feet

Components: V

Duration: Instantaneous

You manifest a minor wonder, and you create one of the following magical effects within range:

· You draw the attention of any CR 0 water breathing creature within range, focusing its attention on an object of your choice within 5 feet of you and making that object seem like an enticing edible to them for 1 minute unless it succeeds on a Wisdom saving throw.

· You cause unpleasant, dripping dampness in a 5’ radius at a point within range. The wet is enough to dim or snuff out a candle, torch, or small campfire.

· One of your god’s minions whispers in your ear, giving a simple, one-word prediction of what the weather will be at your location or for your vessel for the next 24 hours.

· You cause a rope within range to twist, tangle and knot up, or to untie itself.

· You instantly know which direction is true north.

Eurus
2021-05-24, 05:25 PM
Prestidigitation's ability to clean stuff and flavor food would probably make it my first choice on a ship, but if I already had that? Yeah, this seems handy. Navigating, predicting the weather, and making you a little better at fishing are handy, and I'm sure you could do some clever things with untying ropes.

A few possibilities if you're looking for additions might be the ability to turn drinkable water into weak grog, the ability to ward off rats and insects, or the ability to dry off wet objects.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-24, 05:41 PM
Prestidigitation's ability to clean stuff and flavor food would probably make it my first choice on a ship, but if I already had that? Yeah, this seems handy. Navigating, predicting the weather, and making you a little better at fishing are handy, and I'm sure you could do some clever things with untying ropes.

A few possibilities if you're looking for additions might be the ability to turn drinkable water into weak grog, the ability to ward off rats and insects, or the ability to dry off wet objects.

Yeah, I see your point. Considering that it's more situational than Prestidigitation, it probably needs to be slightly better than it currently is, so that's it's as least the best choice for when those circumstances do appear.

I really like your suggestions, as well. And yes, I'm definitely looking for new possibilities!

Thanks for replying!

Squire Doodad
2021-05-25, 10:47 PM
Any limits on what the ropes can do, and how many ropes? Is it ropes equal to 2+caster level at a time, or just one?
Too many ropes makes it become a nonlethal weapon at some point (just leave neatly packed bundles of stray ropes around and instant protection against boarders), but the idea of a high ranking Cleric of a sea god snapping their hands and making all the ropes on their ship nice and taut could be interesting.

saucerhead
2021-05-26, 10:28 AM
I thought it might include a PFD(personal floatation device) for when the tank falls in the drink, but maybe that would require concentration.

Cicciograna
2021-05-26, 11:16 AM
In the weather effects, add some clause about how you get a general understanding of how the winds conditions will be for the day. Something as in "the wind will blow from E-NE at a speed of 2 knots, but then it will pick up to a gale and change direction to straight N", or less detailed like "weak wind from that general direction; will gain strength and will blow from that other direction".

Other than that, I like it. I'm a fan of limited power but versatile cantrips.