PDA

View Full Version : Clerics - weapon vs. cantrip

Greywander
2021-05-24, 08:07 PM
It seems odd to me that clerics are often billed as a melee class, and most domains get Divine Strike instead of Potent Spellcasting. Excluding feats and non-cleric spells, casting a cantrip is usually going to be the better option regardless of which of these two features you have. Now, as we'll see, this isn't quite as straightforward as "caster clerics are better than weapon clerics", but the weapon cleric requires a bit of extra investment to git gud. Also I bolded some words to make this easier to read (otherwise, it's easy to get lost in the sea of endless same-looking text).

Let's talk damage in terms of the number of dice thrown. I'm going to treat adding your ability score modifier as a single damage die, as +5 is comparable to an extra 1d8.

A weapon attack deals 2 dice worth of damage (specifically, one die + ability mod), from 1st level to 20th level. Cantrips start off dealing only 1 die of damage, but scale up to 4 dice of damage. Using a weapon is better from 1st to 4th level, both options are comparable from 5th to 10th level, and cantrips are better after 11th level. Already things aren't looking great for melee clerics.

Now, Divine Strike adds an extra die of damage, and later, a second extra die of damage, for a total of 4 dice of damage. This only puts weapon attacks on par with cantrips (albeit, you get your damage dice sooner, at 8th and 14th level, instead of 11th and 17th level). Potent Spellcasting, on the other hand, adds only 1 extra damage die, but on top of the 4 damage dice cantrips already do, this is a total of 5 damage dice. While Divine Strike gets their damage dice sooner, this only puts them ahead of a generic cleric casting cantrips (and even then only for levels 8-10 and 14-16), while Potent Spellcasting erases any temporary lead Divine Strike would have had.

A quick side note about Blessed Strikes: it adds 1 die of damage to both weapon attacks and cantrips, but it differs from Potent Spellcasting in that it only adds the extra die once per casting. For Sacred Flame and Toll the Dead, this distinction isn't that important, but this makes a huge difference for Word of Radiance. For Word of Radiance, Potent Spellcasting adds an extra die of damage for each target, which is especially helpful considering that Word of Radiance has fairly low damage normally. Potent Spellcasting is roughly a 50% increase in damage for Word of Radiance, rather than the 20%-30% that it is for other cantrips. Since Blessed Strikes only applies to one target, it makes Word of Radiance significantly weaker compared to Potent Spellcasting. One of the main reasons I think this matters is that a melee cleric would actually be better served casting Word of Radiance than making a weapon attack (though it depends on what the AC and CON save of the monsters are, as well as how many monsters are in range). So if we're talking about melee clerics, I think Word of Radiance needs to be brought up. For the purposes of this thread, I'm going to ignore the existence of Blessed Strikes, though it is certainly an option.

Okay, so far Divine Strike looks a little worse, as it only draws even to a generic cleric, whereas Potent Spellcasting will surpass it. So Potent Spellcasting is slightly better, right? Well, it's a bit more complicated. Divine Strike has another downside in that you'll want to pump WIS for your cleric spells, but a melee cleric also needs STR (or DEX) for their weapon attacks. A caster cleric, on the other hand, can just focus on WIS and dump STR and/or DEX (you'll usually want STR 15 for heavy armor, or DEX 14 for medium). At first, this makes weapon clerics look even worse, since we'll need to burn two ASIs to pump STR or DEX, but...

Why spend two ASIs pumping STR or DEX when you can spend one ASI to grab a feat for Shillelagh? Now your weapon attacks use WIS and you can once again focus entirely on WIS while dumping STR and DEX (except as needed for AC). Still, you're an ASI behind the caster cleric, and all you've done is give yourself something the caster cleric already had (using WIS instead of STR/DEX). But, you can also take that second ASI you would have spent on STR or DEX, and grab another feat for Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade. Booming Blade adds another 3 damage dice, which, with Divine Strike, makes for a total of 7 damage dice, and you have the rider effect of forcing the enemy to stand still or take another 4 dice of damage. Likewise, Green-Flame Blade adds 3 damage dice to your primary target and another 4 damage dice to a secondary target. Either blade cantrip gets you at least 7 dice of damage, and up to 11 dice of damage if the conditions are triggered. (Although usually the point of Booming Blade is that you want the enemy to stand still, and the extra damage is just a consolation in case they move anyway; it's meant as more of a control effect rather than more damage, but YMMV.)

Another side note: a high elf Nature cleric doesn't require any ASIs, as they can get Shillelagh from their class and BB/GFB from their race. Arcana clerics can also pick up BB/GFB from their class, and Potent Spellcasting will apply to it, but this leaves them with 6 damage dice, instead of the 7 you'd get with Divine Strike. As an alternative to an elf, you could also be a variant human or custom lineage and use your free feat to pick up either Shillelagh or Booming Blade (via Magic Initiate, Spell Sniper, Aberrant Dragonmark, or Artificer Initiate; Shillelagh can only be obtained from Magic Initiate).

So now the weapon cleric is looking like it can dish out a lot more damage, up to 11 dice worth, more than twice the damage of the caster cleric's 5 dice. Of course, this comes at the cost of two ASIs, which the caster cleric could spend on useful feats, or, if nothing else, boosting CON to become even tankier.

But wait, we're not finished yet. All cleric damage cantrips use saving throws, and it's generally harder to find magic items that boost spell save DC than it is spell attack. Conversely, magic weapons almost always give a boost to your attack rolls, and may add extra damage as well. Since clerics only get one attack, you're usually better off giving the Flame Tongue to your fighter rather than using it yourself, but something like a simple weapon +3 can increase your damage significantly just by making you hit more often. It will be much harder to find an item that gives a +3 to spell save DC, and that item will almost certainly require attunement, while a weapon +3 does not. (Granted, a boost to your spell save DC does a lot more than just make your cantrips hit more often.)

In the end, the weapon cleric can outpace the caster cleric, but requires specific feats/non-cleric spells to do so. In the absence of any feats or other non-class benefits, the weapon cleric appears to be straight up worse than the caster cleric, which I think is what frustrates me about this. It wouldn't be so bad if you could pick up Shillelagh and Booming Blade with the same feat, but you can't. And you won't always want to play a high elf or variant human/custom lineage, either. I'd like to try a dwarf Forge cleric sometime, but this necessarily means burning two feats for both cantrips (or hoping for a Belt of Giant Strength).

TL;DR, a weapon cleric has a base damage of 4 dice and is MAD, but can spend two feats for Shillelagh and Booming Blade/Green-Flame Blade to become SAD and boost damage to 7 dice (11 if BB/GFB conditions are met). You can save yourself a feat by being a high elf, variant human, or custom lineage, or by playing a Nature or Arcana cleric (but Arcana clerics don't get Divine Strike). A caster cleric, on the other hand, has a base damage of 5 dice and is already SAD, and can't really improve beyond that. So caster clerics are better by default, but weapon clerics can become stronger with some feat investment.

Actually, now that I think about, the Arcana cleric is probably in the best position. First, you can get BB or GFB from the class without spending a feat. Potent Spellcasting only adds 1 damage die, rather than the 2 of Divine Strike, but in exchange you also get that extra damage die on your ranged cantrips and, perhaps more importantly, Word of Radiance. This makes the Arcana cleric quite versatile, able to operate at melee or range, and in melee against single or multiple opponents.

LudicSavant
2021-05-24, 08:24 PM
An important thing to note is that Divine Strike doesn’t work on OAs or other reactions, while Potent Slellcasting and Blessed Strike *do.*

If you want a melee lockdown Cleric, having a 4d12+5 SAD reaction for just one feat (Warcaster) that also does other very useful things (like improve Concentration) is a biggie.

Arcana Cleric has the best case of all, of course, since Potent Spellcasting combos very effectively with Wizard cantrips like Create Bonfire or Booming Blade (it applies the damage bonus to *all* rolls of those spells)

Theodoxus
2021-05-24, 08:40 PM
An important thing to note is that Divine Strike doesn’t work on OAs or other reactions, while Potent Slellcasting and Blessed Strike *do.*

If you want a melee lockdown Cleric, having a 4d12+5 SAD reaction for just one feat (Warcaster) that also does other very useful things (like improve Concentration) is a biggie.

Arcana Cleric has the best case of all, of course, since Potent Spellcasting combos very effectively with Wizard cantrips like Create Bonfire or Booming Blade (it applies the damage bonus to *all* rolls of those spells)

Blessed Strike only applies to an OA or Reaction if you didn't use it already on your turn... so, I guess if you spent the turn casting Bless or Spirit Guardians, and maybe Shillelagh... you'd have it. Otherwise it's usable once and resets at the start of your next turn - which a reaction would not be.

Agreed that Arcana Cleric is the best chassis for pretty much any warlock-esque cleric going cantrip-centric for their damage.

I'm still curious if a Tempest Cleric focused on BB for their primary damage can't do better though... 1d8 (weapon) plus 2d8 Divine Strike (16 maximized) plus 2d8 BB (16 maximizaed) plus Dex, Str or Wis (depending on build) plus another potential 3d8 thunder if the target moves... Yes, it's definitely more of a controller build, but still fun... add Crusher for just a bit more control.

quindraco
2021-05-24, 09:11 PM

Also important is that if you need to take an OA before your first turn, Shillelagh won't be up yet, but 31 points of necrotic from Warcaster+Toll the Dead will be - and, of course, you can't use BB or GFB with an OA. I don't agree that it makes sense to analyze cleric cantrip DPR and ignore what they do with their spell slots, but if you do want to make it shine, I suspect what we really need is more damage type feats - we got one of each for Piercing, Sharp, Bludgeoning, and Poison. If we can get one for necrotic that's any good, it'll change the math.

Additional note: Divine Strike, despite having the same name, does not behave the same way across multiple clerics. An Order Cleric's Divine Strike is Psychic, not Radiant. Death clerics deal necrotic. Forge clerics deal fire. These damage types are not all as useful as each other, and a proper analysis requires accounting for that. Trickery is hands down the worst of the bunch, and War's deals weapon damage, which is its own logistical issue, as without magic that's a garbage type and with magic it skyrockets to being something almost nothing in the game resists.

LudicSavant
2021-05-24, 09:12 PM
Blessed Strike only applies to an OA or Reaction if you didn't use it already on your turn... so, I guess if you spent the turn casting Bless or Spirit Guardians, and maybe Shillelagh... you'd have it.

Correct.

Agreed that Arcana Cleric is the best chassis for pretty much any warlock-esque cleric going cantrip-centric for their damage.

I'm still curious if a Tempest Cleric focused on BB for their primary damage can't do better though... 1d8 (weapon) plus 2d8 Divine Strike (16 maximized) plus 2d8 BB (16 maximizaed) plus Dex, Str or Wis (depending on build) plus another potential 3d8 thunder if the target moves... Yes, it's definitely more of a controller build, but still fun... add Crusher for just a bit more control.

The Tempest Cleric in your example is putting down a whole lot of investment, so let's look at the return.

That tier 3 Tempest Channel Divinity is only adding about 14 damage in your example. Whereas a Channel Divinity from a similarly built Death Cleric, for instance, would be adding anywhere from 27-37 damage (depending on which level of tier 3 you're talking about). And if we're talking about Tasha's variants, you could be using CDs on Harness Divine Power.

If you're using Wisdom to attack on the Tempest Cleric, you've basically spent 2 feats (or 1 feat and a race, or the like) to make this possible, and need more to raise your Wisdom. If you're instead using Strength to attack, you are basically taking around -2 or 3 to hit and damage, and that's no small thing (especially the hit chance). Either that, or investing yet more feats that could have gone into powerful alternative choices.

If you're getting Crusher, that's yet another feat, and its effect is relatively small for a Cleric. Since you're only making 1 attack, your "chance of at least 1 crit during a turn" is low, and thus the critical hit rider does very little for you. So it's basically just giving you that movement, and if you're using the 'hit with BB and run away' tactic, you're sacrificing some of the extra pressure of having a main tank stay engaged with someone (threatening OAs, imposing disadvantage on ranged attacks, controlling space, etc). And 5 feet of movement won't even be enough to disengage you if they have Reach (as most big monsters do, which is more and more relevant as you gain levels. After all, if you're dealing with small monsters at high levels, often A) there's more than one of them to disengage from or B) they are scary spellcasters that don't need to chase down a hit-and-runner).

carkl3000
2021-05-24, 10:12 PM
Also important is that if you need to take an OA before your first turn, Shillelagh won't be up yet, but 31 points of necrotic from Warcaster+Toll the Dead will be - and, of course, you can't use BB or GFB with an OA. I don't agree that it makes sense to analyze cleric cantrip DPR and ignore what they do with their spell slots, but if you do want to make it shine, I suspect what we really need is more damage type feats - we got one of each for Piercing, Sharp, Bludgeoning, and Poison. If we can get one for necrotic that's any good, it'll change the math.

Additional note: Divine Strike, despite having the same name, does not behave the same way across multiple clerics. An Order Cleric's Divine Strike is Psychic, not Radiant. Death clerics deal necrotic. Forge clerics deal fire. These damage types are not all as useful as each other, and a proper analysis requires accounting for that. Trickery is hands down the worst of the bunch, and War's deals weapon damage, which is its own logistical issue, as without magic that's a garbage type and with magic it skyrockets to being something almost nothing in the game resists.

Why can't you cast BB or GFB on an OA with War Caster? Or am I misunderstanding you? Does the cleric using BB and GFB not have war caster?

Greywander
2021-05-24, 10:33 PM
Why can't you cast BB or GFB on an OA with War Caster? Or am I misunderstanding you? Does the cleric using BB and GFB not have war caster?
Probably the Tasha's rewrite of these spells, which I don't use because it actually breaks these spells. I've opined on that subject before, so I won't reiterate it here, unless someone wants to hear me rant about it again.

But yeah, the SCAG version of BB and GFB will work with Warcaster for making OAs.

but 31 points of necrotic from Warcaster+Toll the Dead will be
4d8 + 5 maxes out at 37 damage, so you must be counting on some really good rolls. Or are you assuming the enemy will somehow already be damaged if you're making an OA on your first turn before casting Shillelagh? Honestly, making on OA on your first turn at all should be really unlikely, unless you're already in the front of the party and some cheeky monster is trying to run past and hit the wizard.

Theodoxus
2021-05-24, 10:38 PM
4d8 + 5 maxes out at 37 damage, so you must be counting on some really good rolls. Or are you assuming the enemy will somehow already be damaged if you're making an OA on your first turn before casting Shillelagh? Honestly, making on OA on your first turn at all should be really unlikely, unless you're already in the front of the party and some cheeky monster is trying to run past and hit the wizard.

Well, isn't there always a Gloomstalker in the party that's thwacked the cheeky monster pretty hard? Maybe old CM is dashing past you to bash face on that gloomy gus...

Or an Assassin... Or a Wizard... I mean, if you're playing that Cleric correctly, you're a dwarf with an 8 Dex and a -1 initiative. You're going pert near dead last in the round - plenty of time for the party to mess up the CM before it gets to you. :smallwink:

prototype00
2021-05-24, 10:42 PM
Probably the Tasha's rewrite of these spells, which I don't use because it actually breaks these spells. I've opined on that subject before, so I won't reiterate it here, unless someone wants to hear me rant about it again.

But yeah, the SCAG version of BB and GFB will work with Warcaster for making OAs.

Actually I recall that the Tasha's Rewrites were clarified by Crawford to explicitly work with Warcaster (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/jxwm9q/new_sage_advice_video_w_jeremy_crawford_that/).

So no need for ire.

I personally went for a Tempest Cleric w/booming blade at some point (I don't recall whether I went Half Elf or vHuman, one of the two), and I used to keep the channel divinity for my blasty thunder spells. I would only use it on Booming Blade when I crit, now that was a worthwhile damage-to-resources exchange.

Greywander
2021-05-24, 10:49 PM
Yeah, that's fair, I suppose. It just seems like a lot of people treat Toll the Dead as if it used d12s all the time. Which I suppose is also fair, since otherwise it's the same damage as Sacred Flame, so there's not really anything useful about discussing the times when the enemy isn't damaged, as your only other option deals the same damage anyway.

LudicSavant
2021-05-25, 12:02 AM
Attacks vs Cantrips: Aside from Ravnica backgrounds, some Clerics don't have easy access to cantrips that target AC as Cleric spells, which is useful for things with Magic Resistance, Legendary Resistance, etc. It's also easier to get Advantage on an attack roll than it is to give an enemy Disadvantage on a saving throw. However, the versatility of cantrips allows you to target different saving throws based on the match.

And of course, they benefit from different magic items and conditions.

Potent Spellcasting is generally better than Blessed Strikes as long as you're using Cleric cantrips, because it applies to every roll of things like Word of Radiance or (if an Arcana Cleric) Booming Blade or Create Bonfire.

Blessed Strikes has the advantage of being usable with cantrips you grabbed from non-Cleric spell lists, as well as being usable with attacks (including off-turn attacks, unlike Divine Strike). It also has one of the best damage types in the game (Radiant is second only to Force).

Divine Strike is basically straight up inferior to Blessed Strike until level 14, at which point there are still some pros and cons. Yes, it does 2d8 instead of 1d8, but it doesn't work on off-turn attacks (while Blessed Strike does), and doesn't work with cantrips (meaning you have less versatility in what kind of defense you can target, etc). And you have to invest quite a lot in order for a Cleric's melee attack to even be competitive with cantrips, even with the +2d8.

Blessed Strikes will work with Sentinel and Warcaster. Potent Spellcasting will work with Warcaster. But Divine Strike doesn't work with any of that, and has to eat feats and the like in order to be better than just throwing a Toll the Dead (let alone a Potent Spellcasting Toll the Dead).

Newbie players often assume that you'll want Divine Strike on a melee character, but there's no reason to think that way. Cleric cantrips don't have any penalty for being cast in melee, and Warcaster is actually a really good tool for a melee tank (and not just for your cantrips, either!). Absolutely nothing is stopping you from wading into melee without a weapon.

Theodoxus
2021-05-25, 12:28 AM
Yeah, it's kinda funny all the shenanigans people go through to get Shillelagh, just to be SAD, when there is little advantage of going that route. Even Nature Clerics will get more mileage out of Thorn Whip than Shillelagh on the whole.

It does seem like putting martial weapons on the various Cleric domains is a partial trap option. Almost makes me yearn for 1st/2nd Ed ban on Clerics using non-bludgeoning weapons. A mace is a fine sidearm. Especially when looking at cantrips as a primary combat tactic (subsidized by the Spirit spells).

Potent Spellcasting vs Blessed Strikes... I wonder if the potential to get above +5 damage is really enough to offset the fact that it only affects one damage roll... It kinda goes back to just letting a player choose which of the three damage boosts they want. I'd much rather get PS on a Death Domain Cleric than their base DS. Death Twinned Toll the Dead with +4 or 5 additional damage from PS? Yes please. And it's not like it's OP... just a small boost, but a flavorful one.

Greywander
2021-05-25, 12:54 AM
Yeah, it's kinda funny all the shenanigans people go through to get Shillelagh, just to be SAD, when there is little advantage of going that route.
Well, I did show that with BB or GFB you can get as much as 11 dice worth of damage, more than twice what you'd get with a cantrip and Potent Spellcasting. But you're paying for it with a feat, and probably two feats since you'll want Shillelagh as well. The thing about Potent Spellcasting is that it doesn't need anything else, it just works.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but clerics are more concerned with casting leveled spells, so cantrips vs. weapons isn't really at the top of issues they need to sort out. As such, even with the extra damage you can get with a weapon build, it's definitely debatable if it's even worth it when you're probably going to be casting a leveled spell most of the time.

Blessed Strikes has the advantage of being usable with cantrips you grabbed from non-Cleric spell lists,
Interesting, I hadn't caught that, but you're right. If, for some reason, you're a heavily multiclassed character, or perhaps you're relying on Eldritch Blast + Agonizing Blast, or other non-cleric offensive cantrips, Blessed Strikes doesn't care which class it came from. It's a shame it's only once per round, but I guess they couldn't make it better than Potent Spellcasting.

The Arcana cleric with Booming Blade and Create Bonfire is still probably the best option, though. Create Bonfire can be used as an AoE, and Potent Spellcasting will add to the damage for each creature hit, both on the initial hit, and on any subsequent hits. They actually have the highest damage Create Bonfire, although the Evoker deals half damage on a save, which might be comparable. You can also combine the two, getting both features as early as 14th level. Probably not worth it, but it's an interesting synergy, especially considering that all of the cleric's damage cantrips uses saves, and would then also deal half damage on a save.

Greywander
2021-05-25, 08:00 PM
Something that occurred to me is that BB and GFB can double-dip on Potent Spellcasting, as the bonus damage would apply to both the primary damage and the secondary damage. So while on the primary damage you'd only deal 6 dice of damage, rather than the 7 dice that Divine Strike deals, if you can apply the secondary damage as well then you'd get the full 11 dice of damage, same as Divine Strike. This could even make Booming Blade more effective as a control ability, as by moving some of the damage from the initial attack to the rider, it gives the enemy a bit more incentive to stand still. This becomes particularly important for off-turn attacks as well, mostly opportunity attacks, where Divine Strike won't apply. IIRC, Warcaster let's you replace an OA with a spell, meaning that it's no longer an OA and thus won't trigger the speed reduction from Sentinel. So even if you had Sentinel, the enemy would still be capable of moving away, but Booming Blade would give them a strong incentive to not move. What's more, because the OA was triggered by movement (probably; Sentinel and some other features add other triggers for OAs), you can know for a fact that they want to move, so it's basically guarantied that they're making a choice with no good options (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MortonsFork). Move and take even more damage, or stand still and eat the OA without getting anything out of it. With all this in mind, the Arcana cleric can make a pretty mean tank.

There's another thing I was thinking about as well. Some of you may remember a thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?622793-Best-subclass-choices-if-you-can-raise-every-class-to-20-on-one-character) I posted a while back asking which subclasses you would choose if you could somehow raise every class to 20. In such a situation, a strong case could be made for taking Blessed Strikes, if only for the sake of convenience. Also, the cantrip you're likely to be casting the most is Eldritch Blast, which wouldn't benefit from Potent Spellcasting since there's no way to get it as a cleric spell. However, I could also see a strong argument for taking the Arcana cleric domain and using it with Booming Blade, both on your turn and for OAs. If we take the Bladesinger wizard subclass, then we can replace one of our attacks with a cantrip and still make three weapon attacks. Using Booming Blade, we can also apply the paladin's Improved Divine Smite (and any other weapon damage buffs), which won't apply to EB or most other cantrips. If you want a different cleric domain, then Blessed Strikes is probably better, though a souped up Word of Radiance is still helpful for clearing mooks.

LudicSavant
2021-05-25, 10:34 PM
Something that occurred to me is that BB and GFB can double-dip on Potent Spellcasting, as the bonus damage would apply to both the primary damage and the secondary damage.

I mentioned that above. It's part of why Arcana Clerics make such good frontliners (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds#post25057350).

With all this in mind, the Arcana cleric can make a pretty mean tank.

Yes, very much so.

Making such forks is basically what true tanking (as opposed to turtling) is all about, at least in games where you're tanking human-controlled opponents -- think MOBAs like Overwatch or League of Legends, not World of Warcraft aggro-counting AI. And D&D is very much a game with human-controlled opponents.

SLOTHRPG95
2021-05-25, 11:57 PM
It might be worth mentioning that in core play (PHB-only, no feats, no multiclassing), Sacred Flame is the only Cleric cantrip that does damage. In that context, adding your Wis modifier to cantrips loses a lot of its lustre, while the extra damage dice on weapon attacks applies to any and all magic (or not) weapons you can get your hands on.

Edit: this is mostly in response as to why the Cleric might be viewed in the popular opinion of more of a sword-swinger than a cantrip-slinger.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-26, 06:57 AM
Attacks vs Cantrips: Aside from Ravnica backgrounds, some Clerics don't have easy access to cantrips that target AC as Cleric spells, My arcana cleric uses Lightning lure. :smallsmile:

I mentioned that above. It's part of why Arcana Clerics make such good frontliners (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?583957-An-Eclectic-Collection-of-Fun-and-Effective-Builds#post25057350).
{snip} at least in games where you're tanking human-controlled opponents -- think MOBAs like Overwatch or League of Legends, not World of Warcraft aggro-counting AI. And D&D is very much a game with human-controlled opponents. I like that analogy. CC in LoL is a big deal.