PDA

View Full Version : Construct made out of living metal material?

eyebreaker7
2021-05-25, 02:03 AM
Living Metal
Powerful sources of life energy, such as druid circles or sites holy to Chauntea, sometimes leach energy into the soil, which changes the properties of the natural deposits of iron buried nearby. This living metal usually has a light gray-green color and has properties of natural repair and reshaping. It is favored in the construction of rings of regeneration.
Over time, armor made of living metal naturally shapes itself to fit its wearer. After one tenday of regular wearing, increase the maximum Dexterity bonus by 1, reduce the armor check penalty by 1, and reduce the arcane spell failure chance by 5% for living metal armor. Armor not primarily of metal is not meaningfully affected. (A suit of chainmail is affected, while a suit of studded leather is not.)
In addition, an item made of living metal naturally repairs damage to itself, healing 1 hit point per minute. It cannot repair itself if brought to 0 hit points or destroyed (such as through disintegration).
Living metal weighs the same as steel, has hardness 12, and has 30 hit points per inch of thickness.
Item Market Price Modifier
Light armor +700 gp
Medium armor +2,000 gp
Heavy armor +4,500 gp
Other items +100 gp/lb.

"An iron golem is 12 feet tall and weighs about 5,000 pounds" so it would cost 500,000 gold to make an Iron Golem out of Living Metal material? Going by the "Other items +100 gp/lb." value right?
How would you calculate HPs? lol.

unseenmage
2021-05-25, 03:21 PM
Substituting the material a golem is composed of isn't something accomplishable by rules as written to my knowledge.

The closest you get is an Animated Object or, if 3.0 materi is allowed, a Minor Servitor made out of living metal.

However when you make a creature out of a material the hp of the material is overwritten by the hp of the creature so living metal's amount of hp won't enter into it.

There is some justification for living metal's hp recovery to still be active though as the physical characteristics of what an animated object are do not go away when it is animated.
An animated knife is still sharp, animated rope can still be tied in knots, and animated paper would still burn.

Work some of the thinaun steel special material into your creation and it could even contain a soul.
Work in some Eberron livewood and it would be alive even though it is a Construct.

Though, special.materials with such outlandish superpowers are usually considered to go against the non magic clause of animate objects and can be disallowed on those grounds.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-25, 09:50 PM
Work some of the thinaun steel special material into your creation and it could even contain a soul.
Work in some Eberron livewood and it would be alive even though it is a Construct.

My first thought after my original post was "What about a Warforged made using Living Metal?"
What is "thinaun steel"? I've never heard of it.

unseenmage
2021-05-26, 09:33 PM
My first thought after my original post was "What about a Warforged made using Living Metal?"
What is "thinaun steel"? I've never heard of it.

It's a metal special material from Complete Warrior that traps the soul of a creature touching a primarily metal melee weapon made of the substance when the creature dies.

In short, a metal that can contain a soul.

eyebreaker7
2021-05-27, 06:50 PM
How many inches of material would be in a 6 foot warforged character? Just curious what the HPs would come out to be if you DID go by that relation of 30 HPs per inch of thickness for a warforged made out of Living Metal material. Now I know it would depend on the "size" you make it as for weight/build. I have no idea how much this stuff weights. How much does a 6 foot tall average build form made out of metal weigh?

unseenmage
2021-05-27, 08:31 PM
How many inches of material would be in a 6 foot warforged character? Just curious what the HPs would come out to be if you DID go by that relation of 30 HPs per inch of thickness for a warforged made out of Living Metal material. Now I know it would depend on the "size" you make it as for weight/build. I have no idea how much this stuff weights. How much does a 6 foot tall average build form made out of metal weigh?
Object or material hp and creature hp are unrelated.
A warforged gets hp based on its class HD.
And even if it didn't it would be based on its Construct HD.

What it is made of is irrelevant to its hp total.