PDA

View Full Version : Backstory Help for Tortle Spore Druid?

No1ofIntrst
2021-05-25, 09:51 PM
Hi!
I've been interested in playing a druid for a while now, and with in person gaming coming back, I decided to try one. I have decided on playing a Tortle Spore Druid, both as I enjoy melee spell casters, and I have a mini that I like.
However, I am pretty bad at coming up with backstorys. Any basic ideas that I could take and expand upon? I'm thinking maybe going along the lines of an older grandparent, who wants to help out the group. However, I cant really figure out a good reason for them to be adventuring.
Any help would be appreciated :smallsmile:

whateew
2021-05-26, 04:49 AM
The spores druid is about death, the cycle of life, and such. Perhaps your tortle has been scarred by an event, and has now embraced a nomadic lifestyle to try and flee from that?

I'm saying this because there is a new dark gift that's all about "the touch of death" or whatnot - it seemed like a perfect fit for a spores druid! It competes with booming blade I think for a useful way to augment your melee damage, but its also far more thematic!

If your DM is amenable to it, take the haunted one background and have that dark gift be your feature. Maybe your tortles local body of water had alchemical waste or a magical accident rip through its body? Perhaps it's been infected by a spore for a dread fungus? World's your oyster.

Millstone85
2021-05-26, 05:28 AM
However, I cant really figure out a good reason for them to be adventuring.
Perhaps your tortle has been scarred by an event, and has now embraced a nomadic lifestyle to try and flee from that?As presented in The Tortle Package, and more briefly in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount, most tortles are nomadic adventurers. They hatch from eggs laid by aging parents, of whom they soon inherit the equipment. Then they travel, needing no other home than the one on their back.

VonKaiserstein
2021-05-26, 03:03 PM
The summer before your story began, you were crushed by a giant magical construct and feared you were dead. Fortunately, the driver, a natural spirit known as Kev'an Ma' Lone, put your shell back together, using a combination of superspores and things he had lying around.

Then he stepped on you again. Fearing you were dead, you lay there for a while.

And then the god Kev'an fixed your shell again and left. You now seek Kev'an, either to kill him, or offer thanks. You're not really sure at this point.

Alternative- the inexpert, and generally shoddy repair job on the shell has resulted in an unstable build- you must constantly add additional ingredients to your shell, hopefully creating something that will sustain your fragile life.