PDA

View Full Version : Nautical campaign spell #4 (level advice needed)

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-26, 11:22 AM
This spell is much more made up of whole cloth, and thus harder to fairly peg against other existing spells by effect and power, than some of my others. I've put it at 5th level, but that's almost a placeholder since I'm so unsure about it. I'd love to hear feedback (preferably with solid reasoning or supporting evidence) about what the right level should be? Also, of course, any other thoughts on it?

Merfolk

5th Level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Self
Components: V, S
Duration: 24 hours

This spell grants you the ability to transform yourself into a Merfolk (of the same sex and general facial appearance as your true form) for the duration. You lose your legs as your lower body changes into that of a fish, and your body takes on the coloration, fins and overall appearance of a standard Merfolk.

While transformed in this manner, you have the walking and swim speeds of a Merfolk, and the amphibious feature. However, you otherwise retain all of your normal physical and mental attributes and ability scores (hit points, AC, Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma, alignment, personality, skills, proficiencies, feats, class levels and abilities, etc.).

Any equipment or items which are worn or carried beneath your waistline are transformed by this spell and meld into your body. You cannot activate, wield, or otherwise benefit from any equipment or items thus transformed. As an action, you may end the spell early at any time.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 6th level or above, you may transform one additional humanoid creature for each spell slot level above the 5th.

Old Harry MTX
2021-05-26, 12:01 PM
So basically this spell only gives you a swimming speed of 40 feet and the ability to breath underwather, at the cost of not being able to use equipped items and a reduction of walking speed to 10 feet? In my opinion it has a very low level, I would say around the 2nd, even if the absence of concentration complicates things. Personally I would avoid removing the use of objects, add the possibility of transforming up to 2 people already with the base level, and I would take it to the 3rd.

Squire Doodad
2021-05-26, 12:19 PM
So basically this spell only gives you a swimming speed of 40 feet and the ability to breath underwather, at the cost of not being able to use equipped items and a reduction of walking speed to 10 feet? In my opinion it has a very low level, I would say around the 2nd, even if the absence of concentration complicates things. Personally I would avoid removing the use of objects, add the possibility of transforming up to 2 people already with the base level, and I would take it to the 3rd.

I second this; being able to bring a very small amount of people with you makes it actually useful instead of a personal ability.
Furthermore, scaling that lets a decently-leveled character turn half a dozen people into merfolk gives it more use for high-level characters - villains or heroes - as a rescue squad could all switch in Merfolk mode to rescue trapped civilians; meanwhile a pirate's prized swimming crew could jump overboard while ships are blasting at each other, sneak up to the opposing ship, then turn it off and smash some holes in the side thus opening a second front for the battle.

sandmote
2021-05-26, 12:41 PM
I'd maybe make this work like water walk (for convenience, see here (https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/water-walk)), so it'll apply to the whole group. It would then clearly be stronger (you can cross water and go beneath it) and therefore more reasonably 5th level.

Further, it could also justify the tail-replaces-legs effects: losing your shoe item slot would mean water walk still have a niche in the game besides being lower level.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-26, 02:27 PM
I'll grant you, 5th level is probably too high.

While I hear what you're saying about the potential drawbacks of this spell, I'm not sure how big the first one is. I cannot think of anything but magical boots which would actually be effected by the melding of objects below the waistline (AC is left entirely intact), although I might be missing something? The reduction in walking speed is indeed a drawback. So, I can see where it needs to be knocked down in level a bit.

While it's somewhat comparable to a few other spells, I'm not sure which is the best touchstone. It's a bit like one aspect of Alter Self, but it's non-concentration, 1 day instead of 1 hour, quite likely gives you a higher speed, and lets you fit in better with aquatic folk. So, while it lacks the flexibility of Alter Self, it's still arguably superior. On the other hand, Water Breathing is also 24 hours and can be a ritual and applies to 10 people and you avoid any walking speed nerf. But it doesn't give a swimming speed - which is pretty important for underwater combat rules. I'm sort of inclined to 3rd level now, after hearing your collective feedback.

Would you rather have it, as written, at 3rd level? Or at 4th level, but it allows you to switch back and forth to legs or tail with an action?

Old Harry MTX
2021-05-26, 02:43 PM
If I recall, Merfolks have two distinct tribes, one with fish tail and 40 ft swimming speed + 10 ft walking speed, and one with legs (like tritons) and 30 ft swimming speed + 30 ft walking speed. You can use the legged one.

brian 333
2021-05-28, 08:24 AM
This is the spell Polymorph with only one possible form.

-2 levels for a much simpler version of an existing spell.

Old Harry MTX
2021-05-28, 11:24 AM
This is the spell Polymorph with only one possible form.

-2 levels for a much simpler version of an existing spell.

To tell the truth it is quite different from polymorph. Polymorph alters your ability scores into those of the chosen creature, and adds its total hit points to yours. This spell only changes your appearance, makes you swim faster, and makes you breathe underwater (but at least not requires concentration).

Compared to polymorph it is not only more limited, but also much worse, because it does not give additional hit points. So according to your reasoning, it should have more than 2 levels less.

brian 333
2021-05-28, 11:51 AM
Exactly!

-2 levels is plenty, but if you want to tweak it you have room.