PDA

View Full Version : Nautical campaign restoration spells

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-26, 11:58 AM
These 2 spells are meant to replace Lesser and Greater Restoration on the cleric's spell list for a nautically themed god. They're only meant as more flavorful option to accomplish (mostly) the same thing. They are both slightly stronger in effect, but more difficult and timely to enact, than the originals. So I'd appreciate knowing if you think cleric players would be unhappy, okay, or happy about such a change?

Grog

2nd Level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 12 hours

You bless an alcoholic beverage, imbuing it with restorative properties. The beverage must be at least a pint of liquid in size for the spell to take effect, but the quality of the beverage is immaterial. The blessed Grog retains its divine salubriousness for the duration, or until consumed.
Any creature that attempts to drink the entire beverage in a single round might gain the benefits of the Grog. The creature must make a Constitution saving throw. Creatures of Large or larger size, and those which have advantage against or resistance to poison, have advantage on this save. On a failure, the creature either fails to drink the entire beverage fast enough, or fails to keep the Grog down long enough, to obtain the benefit. On a success, the Grog cures all non-magical diseases and removes any blinded, deafened, and poisoned conditions afflicting the creature.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell with a spell slot of 3rd level or higher, you may bless another appropriately-sized drink of Grog for each two spell slots level above the 2nd.

&

Captain’s Reserve

5th Level abjuration
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S, M (an aged liquor worth at least 100 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 24 hours

You bless a bottle of premier alcoholic beverage, imbuing it with restorative properties. The beverage must be at least a quart of liquid in size for the spell to take effect. The sanctified liquor retains its divine salubriousness for the duration or until it is consumed.

Any creature that drinks the entire bottle within 1 hour gains the benefits of the Captain’s Reserve. The creature must make a Constitution saving throw. Creatures of Large or larger size, or which have advantage or resistance against poison, have advantage on the save. On a failure, the creature either fails to drink the entire bottle, or fails to keep the liquor down long enough to obtain the benefit. On a success, the Captain’s Reserve cures all levels of exhaustion and ends the follow effects: non-magical diseases, magical diseases or curses caused by a spell cast at 4th level or below (including attunement to a cursed magic item), the blinded, charmed, deafened or poisoned conditions, and any effects reducing the target’s hit point maximum or ability scores.

The creature is thereafter Stunned (drunk) for a number of hours equal to (20 – its Constitution ability score).

Squire Doodad
2021-05-26, 12:12 PM
My question is, does the effected drink lose its effect after a while? If you can cast it repeatedly, then you basically can spend a few days before shipping out and carry alcoholic restoration potions.

On the flipside, it'd be awfully appropriate for a seafaring crew to literally be refreshed by a nice pint of grog.

I like it thematically and it doesn't seem particularly overpowered.

Guy Lombard-O
2021-05-26, 02:17 PM
My question is, does the effected drink lose its effect after a while? If you can cast it repeatedly, then you basically can spend a few days before shipping out and carry alcoholic restoration potions.

On the flipside, it'd be awfully appropriate for a seafaring crew to literally be refreshed by a nice pint of grog.

I like it thematically and it doesn't seem particularly overpowered.

Sure, the magical blessing wears off at the end of the duration, 12 and 24 hours respectively. So there is some potential for Goodberry shenanigans. But the Grog has a more limited timespan to help reduce that potential, and the Captain's consumes the 100 gp bottle when cast, so I think there's at least some limiters on it.