PDA

View Full Version : What Background for an amnesiac character?

Stabbey
2021-05-26, 02:36 PM
One of the character concepts I have rattling around is pretty vague. "Subject Fourteen" aka "Xiv". The idea behind this would be a Tiefling Sorcerer (the best subclass type probably Wild Magic, if I can negotiate with the DM for house rules to sand off some of the rough edges like swapping out the potential Fireball TPK for something less harsh, and making surges more common).

Fourteen's earliest memory would be herself screaming. Then another memory of wandering through the ruins of a burning, destroyed, research facility, clutching a half-burned book which has "Subject XIV" on the cover in common, and the inside is some kind of cipher language. Bodies are strewn about. Some of the bodies have the same face as Fourteen. The exact same face, down to the pattern of freckles. There will be a couple more blurry memories before Fourteen gets to wherever the party meets - enough so that Fourteen would not be able to retrace her steps. I think being on a rowboat in the ocean and then being picked up by a ship would be one.

She would not have any memory of her name or what happened before she was wandering in the ruined facility... and that kinda makes deciding on a character Background difficult, but I don't really want to completely forego having one and losing out on the extra background proficiencies.

Any suggestions on what to do about the Background?

Kurt Kurageous
2021-05-26, 02:39 PM
One of the character concepts I have rattling around is pretty vague. "Subject Fourteen" aka "Xiv". The idea behind this would be a Tiefling Sorcerer (the best subclass type probably Wild Magic, if I can negotiate with the DM for house rules to sand off some of the rough edges like swapping out the potential Fireball TPK for something less harsh, and making surges more common).

Fourteen's earliest memory would be herself screaming. Then another memory of wandering through the ruins of a burning, destroyed, research facility, clutching a half-burned book which has "Subject XIV" on the cover in common, and the inside is some kind of cipher language. Bodies are strewn about. Some of the bodies have the same face as Fourteen. The exact same face, down to the pattern of freckles. There will be a couple more blurry memories before Fourteen gets to wherever the party meets - enough so that Fourteen would not be able to retrace her steps. I think being on a rowboat in the ocean and then being picked up by a ship would be one.

She would not have any memory of her name or what happened before she was wandering in the ruined facility... and that kinda makes deciding on a character Background difficult, but I don't really want to completely forego having one and losing out on the extra background proficiencies.

Any suggestions on what to do about the Background?

Hermit, Haunted One?

Kurt Kurageous
2021-05-26, 02:51 PM
Even without memory, her body would still remember her training (just like XIII still know how to fight despite not remembering anything)

So I think you're free to pick whatever background fits her the most, the proficiency would 100% make sense. So would the starting equipement (she didn't wake up without anything on her, right ?)
The only thing that would be problematic is the roleplay bonus (the feature). If your group does use features, maybe ask the DM if you can custom make one ?

Or choose it later as more is discovered by Xiv through play. Some background features are pretty useless in the wrong setting.

KorvinStarmast
2021-05-26, 03:01 PM
The idea behind this would be a Tiefling Sorcerer {snip} Wild Magic {snip} Sounds like a nice start.

Fourteen's earliest memory would be herself screaming.
Whose isn't? :smalleek:

Then another memory of wandering through the ruins of a burning, destroyed, research facility, clutching a half-burned book which has "Subject XIV" on the cover in common, and the inside is some kind of cipher language.
Bodies are strewn about.
Some of the bodies have the same face as Fourteen. The exact same face, down to the pattern of freckles. There will be a couple more blurry memories before Fourteen gets to wherever the party meets - enough so that Fourteen would not be able to retrace her steps.
I think being on a rowboat in the ocean and then being picked up by a ship would be one. When did Tieflings become clones? :smallconfused:

Any suggestions on what to do about the Background? Sailor. You mentioned that she was on the ocean. Go with that.

Izodonia
2021-05-26, 03:08 PM
Even without memory, her body would still remember her training (just like XIII still know how to fight despite not remembering anything)

So I think you're free to pick whatever background fits her the most, the proficiency would 100% make sense. So would the starting equipement (she didn't wake up without anything on her, right ?)
The only thing that would be problematic is the roleplay bonus (the feature). If your group does use features, maybe ask the DM if you can custom make one ?

I agree. You can do the whole 1st Jason Bourne movie thing, where your character is constantly surprised to find out they know how to do something. That's got to count for RP, right?

Joe the Rat
2021-05-26, 03:08 PM
This is a prime case for custom background - just grab two skills, two langauge/tool proficiencies, and 'tbd' as your feature.

Alternatively, Inheritor feature (Inheritance) could work for you - you get an object, trinket or tattoo with some minor ability and major plot significance, with potential pursuers. It's just in this case you have no idea why you have it.

NecessaryWeevil
2021-05-26, 03:14 PM
When did Tieflings become clones? :smallconfused:

When someone started cloning Tieflings, I guess?

Stabbey
2021-05-26, 03:48 PM
Hermit, Haunted One?

Ohhh... Haunted One looks to be a pretty good fit. I did want the Arcana proficiency, and if I also give her good INT, Investigation would also fit, plus one exotic language, and what she experienced certainly qualifies as a Harrowing Event.

Well, when I said that Fourteen woke up not knowing her past, I meant that even though I am creating her, I also don't know her past, so I don't actually have any plans for what background "fits her most".

When did Tieflings become clones? :smallconfused:
{snip}
Sailor. You mentioned that she was on the ocean. Go with that.

Yes, I do understand that Tieflings aren't normally clones. Normally. That's one of the things which is so freaky about this to Fourteen. Fourteen is intelligent enough to understand that it seems like there was some kind of research or experiment being done. It's unclear what the purpose or goal of the research was, but the fire, destruction, and bodies suggest something went wrong.

Obviously, this character would only be used if the DM was okay with it, or if I modify the idea into something the DM would be more comfortable working with.

I think the Sailor background is more for people who had/have it as a profession, instead of just spending a handful of days on a ship as a passenger.

PhantomSoul
2021-05-26, 04:01 PM
Well, when I said that Fourteen woke up not knowing her past, I meant that even though I am creating her, I also don't know her past, so I don't actually have any plans for what background "fits her most".

I'd be tempted to talk to the DM about having no proficiencies from the background and rolling when things come up (and aren't strictly memory-based)... if you succeed, then your proficiency is now that. Stop after two new proficiencies (skills), and maybe roll when you run into a language to see if you understand it (do up to twice for successes). It would be more fun with a more gradient proficiency system (then you basically determine skill point expenditure rather than binary proficiency), but oh well. (If the DM is on board, doing it as a number of points [four +1s at the start that could end up in different skills] could be more fun and feel more unique.)

Amnestic
2021-05-26, 04:02 PM
Going the other direction, I think Folk Hero would actually be a pretty neat feature. You're celebrated by the common folk for something you have no memory of doing. Maybe they laugh off any questions about it. "As if you don't know what you did! Trying to get an ego fluff by having me go over it all again? Don't be silly, here's another drink instead."

Stabbey
2021-05-26, 04:18 PM
I'd be tempted to talk to the DM about having no proficiencies from the background and rolling when things come up (and aren't strictly memory-based)... if you succeed, then your proficiency is now that. Stop after two new proficiencies (skills), and maybe roll when you run into a language to see if you understand it (do up to twice for successes). It would be more fun with a more gradient proficiency system (then you basically determine skill point expenditure rather than binary proficiency), but oh well. (If the DM is on board, doing it as a number of points [four +1s at the start that could end up in different skills] could be more fun and feel more unique.)

That could be interesting, and certainly unique.

I'm half-tempted to write up an some mechanics for that.

Background: Amnesiac

Feature: Rediscovery

For any skill check which is not a group check, and which is for a skill you are not proficient in, you roll with advantage. If the result of the d20 is a natural 20, you immediately become proficient in that skill.
Once you have acquired three skill proficiencies in this way, this feature stops working.
This feature cannot be used when creating a custom background.

I'm not sure that the positive feature of getting three proficiencies instead of two makes up for the drawback of not being able to reliably pick them. Then again, rolling with advantage on non-proficient skills until you've gotten three proficiencies could last for a long time, or not very long at all. And once you have three, the feature then does nothing for the rest of the game, which kinda sucks.

...Yeah, that idea needs work. Or crumpling up and tossing out.

Going the other direction, I think Folk Hero would actually be a pretty neat feature. You're celebrated by the common folk for something you have no memory of doing. Maybe they laugh off any questions about it. "As if you don't know what you did! Trying to get an ego fluff by having me go over it all again? Don't be silly, here's another drink instead."

If I'm going to play an amnesiac who is famous, I think I'd like to play a different variation of that, the Folk Villain, like the Bard from the Bard's Tale 3, who committed a ton of blunders making him despised, but he was so drunk he doesn't remember them all.

https://youtu.be/y2IFOHrtYbs?t=313

See also that same video at 20:59.

Lord Vukodlak
2021-05-26, 07:50 PM
My suggestion is don’t have a background, pick a couple skills and a tool proficiency and let the DM surprise you later.

Ertwin
2021-05-27, 01:18 AM
Charlatan would work. Charlatans have a whole fake identity that they made up. Would be a good basis for a character that does not remember their previous identity.

da newt
2021-05-27, 07:02 AM
Who winds up as a subject for a laboratory experiment? Someone who when they go missing, no one notices / cares = Urchin background.

Izodonia
2021-05-27, 08:04 AM
Who winds up as a subject for a laboratory experiment? Someone who when they go missing, no one notices / cares = Urchin background.

Soldiers, too - especially if they were reported killed in battle.

Keltest
2021-05-27, 08:18 AM
Have your DM pick one randomly. You get the proficiencies and maybe some gear, but none of the ideals, bonds, etc... which get filled in if/when you get your memory back. And meanwhile you can kind of speculate about which one it was based on what youre good at.

Kurt Kurageous
2021-05-27, 08:26 AM

That was actually going to be my first suggestion, so I can second this. Of course, custom also makes sense, as does urchin and soldier.

Stabbey
2021-05-27, 11:41 AM
Lots of different possibilities here, thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I think the best thing would be for me to talk it over with the DM and see what they think is best. The option I like best is where I can choose two skills, but the DM decides what background and languages I have.