PDA

View Full Version : What happen if a cleric gain a domain twice? Can he select another one of his choice?

Zhepna
2021-05-27, 06:10 AM
Hi,

we play 3.5. I would like to get the Seeker of the Misty Isle prestige class to get the travel domain but I need to Survival 8 ranks to get it.

My plan was to take the travel domain at level 1 to get survival as class skill, put 8 points into it and then at lvl 11, take Seeker of the Misty Isle to gain the travel domain again but I don't know if it's just pointless and dumb (in the eventually that it does nothing if I gain it twice) or if I can take a new domain of my choice if since I already have the travel domain.

The goal of this 'trick' is to not have to put 8 point in survival as a cross-class skill, have to spend 16 points and wait until higher level to take the prestige class.

I tried to find another way to gain survival as a class skill for the cleric but haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Biggus
2021-05-27, 06:28 AM
As far as I know, if it doesn't say you can choose another domain instead, you can't.

There's a list of ways to get extra class skills here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?451088-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills

PS: what race are you?

H_H_F_F
2021-05-27, 06:36 AM
Do you have access to the book Complete Champion for this game? If so, you could swap out the Seeker's travel domain for the feat travel devotion, which is very useful.

Tzardok
2021-05-27, 06:40 AM
Hi,

we play 3.5. I would like to get the Seeker of the Misty Isle prestige class to get the travel domain but I need to Survival 8 ranks to get it.

My plan was to take the travel domain at level 1 to get survival as class skill, put 8 points into it and then at lvl 11, take Seeker of the Misty Isle to gain the travel domain again but I don't know if it's just pointless and dumb (in the eventually that it does nothing if I gain it twice) or if I can take a new domain of my choice if since I already have the travel domain.

The goal of this 'trick' is to not have to put 8 point in survival as a cross-class skill, have to spend 16 points and wait until higher level to take the prestige class.

I tried to find another way to gain survival as a class skill for the cleric but haven't found it yet.

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Complete Divine is silent on what happens if you gain a domain through a prestige class that you already have. I would assume that you would have the Travel domain and its effect twice (whihc owuld mean that you would gain twice the duration on the Freedom of Movement effect).

There is the possibility that your DM would allow you to change your domain afterwards, but would make you work for it. For example, a cleric is allowed to change their domain when changing their god, so I at least would allow you to become a Seeker and then use an atonement to be consecrate yourself to another deity. Alternatively there may be shenaningans with the retraining rules you could use to change your domain afterwards.

I'm also pretty sure that there is some feat somewhere that allows you to make a cross-class skill into a class skill for all classes, but I can't find it anymore.

Lilapop
2021-05-27, 06:45 AM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?491181-Alternative-ways-to-get-new-Class-skills has a variety to get survival as a class skill, some general, some specific to clerics. Its one of those threads everybody should have bookmarked already.

mattie_p
2021-05-27, 07:44 AM
Once the cleric attains 8 ranks in survival, you can trade the domain access for the Travel Devotion feat. Thus you no longer have the domain, so when you are granted it from Seeker, you regain access. (In other words, seconding what H_H_F_F said)

Rebel7284
2021-05-27, 10:24 AM
There is also the Substitute Domain spell, and having the same domain twice, even if it's redundant, would give more fuel for that spell.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2021-05-27, 01:15 PM
Dip the Ruathar prestige class in RotW to get that as a class skill instead.

Zhepna
2021-05-28, 07:52 AM
Biggus : I'm a desert elf

Thanks to all for your answers, it really helped me. I still haven't chosen but it opens possibilities.

cartejos
2021-05-28, 08:01 AM
Biggus : I'm a desert elf

Thanks to all for your answers, it really helped me. I still haven't chosen but it opens possibilities.

For a desert elf I believe aereni focus will give you any skill as a class skill