PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of Fortune: Mercenary Paladin

sandmote
2021-05-27, 10:25 AM
This page on the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/YsT2VA-bRKr-).

I wanted a sort of paladin who leads a band of soldiers for the highest bidder in battle; I wanted an oath that's more of a wildcard, since most oaths feel like they'd stick with one side through an entire conflict without question. Since any sort of "for money" PC is likely to turn stupid evil or chaotic stupid in short order, a bunch of the other material basically reads "don't be an idiot, having people like you is profitable." Not sure the original concept is still clear despite that.

Fluff
Paladins of Fortune have sworn an oath to acquire wealth (either for themselves or a group they represent) and many serve as the organizers of great sums of wealth. Many use the powers granted by this oath to further their own ability as mercenary commanders and heads of powerful guilds, if they aren't nobles taking the oath to support the finances of their estates. Most recognize the inherent value of a sterling reputation and others they can trust.

Tenets of Fortune
Paladins of the oath of fortune aren't merely money-grubbing or treacherous. They simply look for the best deal possible in every circumstance, and recognize the benefits to themselves from every act. The exact details of the oath are unique to the individual or patron order, but they recognize the underlying principles of benefiting from long lasting arrangements.

Profit Always take the best deal possible. Aiming for the impossible is wasted effort; giving up an available option is too.

Belief What other believe is important to your goals. There is no reason to change their beliefs to your own harm, and their beliefs can always be changed to your benefit.

Trust Squeezing every edge now many cost you later, as the best takings require you to be trusted as well. For yourself, ensure you do not deal further than you can trust, for your trust can be ill-founded.

Survival Avoid unnecessary expenses. Wealth is worth what you can use it for. Don't spend resources you couldn't gain from later. Less important is what you gain.

Oath Spells
You gain oath spells at the paladin levels listed.

Oath of Fortune Spells
Paladin Level Spells
3rd comprehend languages, guiding bolt
5th gift of gab, skywrite
9th tongues, revivify
13th aura of life, dimension door
17th circle of power, geas

Channel Divinity
You gain the following two Channel Divinity options.

Economic Casting When you cast a spell of 3rd level or lower that targets a single creature at the level you cast it, you can present your holy symbol (no action required). Once before the end of your next turn you can cast the same spell again, without expending a spell slot.

Reversal of Fortune You present your holy symbol, and events reverse. As a reaction when you see a creature make as attack roll or saving throw, you can present your holy symbol. The result of the roll becomes 21 - the result on the die + any normal modifiers.

Can someone find me the standard text for "You can use this feature after the roll, but before the results of the roll are known?" I'd like to add it to Reversal of Fortune, but I can't recall where the books make mention of it. The one used for Bardic Inspiration is much longer and a bit unwieldy.

Tactical Aura
You emanate an aura that allows creatures to simply learn to surpass their normal limits in your presence. Whenever a creature that you can see within 10 feet makes an attack roll or a saving throw, you can grant the creature a d4 bonus on the roll. Once you have granted a creature this bonus, you cannot grant it again until the start of your next turn.

When you reach 18th level in this class, you can grant the bonus to creatures within 30 feet.

Stolen from the hobgoblins, who have the most generic "commander" feature.

Economic Device User
Starting at 15th level, you know how to squeeze every last drop of magic from an item. When you use a magic item that expends charges, you can expend one fewer charges when you use the magic item. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier, and regain all uses at the end of a long rest.

Not sure the wording is clear. Yes, it does let you use a wand +5 times per day. I feel that's a bit too strong, but I'm not sure how else to limit it. Are there enough non-concentration items like that it could be applied once per item? Would once per attuned item still be necessary to keep it in line power-wise?

Transformation of Avarice
At 20th level, your presence on the field of battle is an inspiration to those dedicated to your cause. You can use your action to gain the following benefits for 1 hour:

When you hit a creature with a melee weapon attack, the creature must make a saving throw against a save DC of 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Strength modifier or drop whatever it is holding.
You regain the benefits of your Tactical Aura at the start of each turn.

This effect ends early if you are incapacitated or die. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

I feel like this needs a third effect, but I can't come up with anything.